Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Going on the stupid choob last week has given me a cold, so my performance is down a little on usual levels. Nonetheless, I set off, pootled through ealing, got to Acton and saw the usual glut of cyclists, mostly pretty slow-moving.

I followed behind them to the lights at the railway bridge, where, due to hilarious circumstances already explained in the RP thread, a lady failed to unclip, her male friend tried to grab her, unclipped the wrong foot himself and they landed in a heap very slowly with much flailing. :lol:

They say laughter is the best medicine, so off I went. Told myself to MTFU and made good time in to work, never saw any of them again. One of them had one of those bikes with very few spokes. +1 for me!

All you 'man-flu' sufferers take note. :D

Out and about on the roadie this weekend, lovely ride in wonderful weather.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ah, Jash, I was thinking about you on Sat. In GBCycles helping a mate choose a bike, and evidently a bit of chat had been made, which led to them wheeling out a tricked out £8k Prince. All black (matt) with shiny black decals you had to squint to read. Super Record 11 throughout (and the rear mech oozes cool on SR11) plus Lightweight Standards Gen III. Page 24 of the 09 catalogue. Really nice. And in my size too. :P

Croydon? what you doing over there chap? you local?

Relatively - SW18. My mate had selected GBCycles on the basis of proximity and range, and a couple of deals they were doing.

He's now running the Embankment gauntlet on a RED AND BLACK MERCKX LXM. He knows nothing of the SCR sub-culture, but he is quite competitive... keep an eye out for him :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ah, Jash, I was thinking about you on Sat. In GBCycles helping a mate choose a bike, and evidently a bit of chat had been made, which led to them wheeling out a tricked out £8k Prince. All black (matt) with shiny black decals you had to squint to read. Super Record 11 throughout (and the rear mech oozes cool on SR11) plus Lightweight Standards Gen III. Page 24 of the 09 catalogue. Really nice. And in my size too. :P

Me thinks I might be popping down there for a look around :-)
    Just had a looksy at the 09 catalogue on the website and had a play around with the other colors for the 09 Prince :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Relatively - SW18. My mate had selected GBCycles on the basis of proximity and range, and a couple of deals they were doing.

He's now running the Embankment gauntlet on a RED AND BLACK MERCKX LXM. He knows nothing of the SCR sub-culture, but he is quite competitive... keep an eye out for him :twisted:

Times please! :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Of course I don't need it, I'm hardly Sastre/Valverde but's that's not really the point. I love riding that bike and as long as I remain childless I fully intend on chucking what disposable income I have at cycling; it keeps me fit and makes me happy and I can't ask for more than that. :D

That's a mindset that won't go away once kids come along. Trust me on this. :D

+1

However, the good lady places me strict time constraints when I go into Sigma Sports. I say, "I just want to pop into Sigma Sports", but she's no knows full well that one does not just "pop into Sigma Sports". Never attempt to be clever by drawing an analogy with the time the fairer sex spends shopping for clothes. Never.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:

*Sigh I really do want Super Record. Not sure I'd want a Prince in black though, I don't like all black bikes and hate the look of the Storck. Lightweight wheels as well you say? You know you can get them custom painted now...

.......... daydreams.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Greg66 wrote:

*Sigh I really do want Super Record. Not sure I'd want a Prince in black though, I don't like all black bikes and hate the look of the Storck. Lightweight wheels as well you say? You know you can get them custom painted now...

.......... daydreams.

I must have been thinking about you too, as somehow found myself on wiggle buying a complete new biking outfit all in black and white to co-ordinate with my road bike.

Although I forgot to buy new shoes, which was the only thing I actually needed... :?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    Well Greg and I can both attest to the importance of co-coordinating kit. Although Greg loses points for not adequately matching bike and kit. However the full "red" kit is really something to behold, something drinkers at the Morpeth can attest to.
  • cjcp
    Jen J wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

.......... daydreams.

I must have been thinking about you too, as somehow found myself on wiggle buying a complete new biking outfit all in black and white to co-ordinate with my road bike.

Although I forgot to buy new shoes, which was the only thing I actually needed... :?

Whenever I hear "Lightweights", all I think about is Sinkewitz's front wheel (an Obermeyer, I think it was) buckling as he turned to avoid a labrador during last year's Tour. If you watch the slo-mo, I think it buckles before he hits the wandering mutt.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Is that with your red glasses? :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Well Greg and I can both attest to the importance of co-coordinating kit. Although Greg loses points for not adequately matching bike and kit. However the full "red" kit is really something to behold, something drinkers at the Morpeth can attest to.

I think it was a cry for attention.....and yes it was quite a sight to behold at first but it did mean if we all got separated inside the pub we had somewhere handy to meet up!

The best I've managed so far is black and red gloves to co-ordinate with my bike, although I was trying to get hold of some black/red Michelin Pro 2 Races before I decided on the Marathon+'s
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    First scalp claimed on Saturday!!

Its been 44 hours but the smell of battle still lingers.

The women folk and young uns were left at home while your brave warrior ventured out on an epic quest. Never before had 25 miles been attempted.

Your brave hero was wounded, yes wounded badly from the previous voyages *

Mid way through the odessy the wind calmed and the birds arose from the trees. A dark sense of foreboding hung in the air.

Suddenly the battle was on as it rose from the fields more beast than man.

To know is to act!

The race was over in seconds and there was only going to be one winner.

In generations to come fathers will bring their sons to this place and tell in hushed tone of the legend that was born here.

(My FCN 10 MTB, Nobblies, Flats)

(The fallen warrior - Tandem (I saw four legs), Clipless, Black & White team colour, Skinsuit, On board rehydration system and race number)

* Pumping the tyres to 80psi did compromise comfort somewhat
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • First post, thought id get in on the action.

My mate departs for the Americas tomorrow and has given me his MTB to sell. I ride a £30 no name MTB with flats and Speciaized nimbus so I though id give the £800 Trek a whirl on the commute. BIG mistake. Those of you on nobblies on the commute, you are brave, brave men to whom efficiency is for nancies, I salute you.
    FCN 4 dependant on beard

Boardman cx pro on slicks

"It CAN live in the house and we DO have room for another"
  • cjcp wrote:
    Whenever I hear "Lightweights", all I think about is Sinkewitz's front wheel (an Obermeyer, I think it was) buckling as he turned to avoid a labrador during last year's Tour. If you watch the slo-mo, I think it buckles before he hits the wandering mutt.

I agree. Although by then it was at 90 degrees to his direction of travel. Not sure many carbon rims would survive that.

I had a (second hand) pair of LW Standards last year. Nice to try them out, but frankly they just didn't provide the "WOW" factor that I'd hoped for from a pair of wheels that cost that much. My Campag wheels are right porkers in comparison, but it's pretty hard to justify the improvement in performance for the extra £££.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    At last - a proper report - I thought for a moment that I'd strayed onto the fashion show by mistake - congrats McChubby - team colour and race number - chapeau sir!

Still haven't found a worthy target even though I'm only FCN 10 - place seems to be overun with creaky full suspension MTBs :(
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You sure the person you scalped was commuting? On a Saturday? And you were commuting, right? Sorry to rain on your parade ;)
  • What if I drive the missus to work on the weekend, then get my bike out of the car and ride home? Am I commuting?

It's immaterial, really: Not many cyclists on the country lane I take. My three rides along the route so far have turned up three cars, a tractor, and a bloke taking two dogs for a walk.
  • We should call it the "ideal bike price point" IBPP.

I like that, the other one that I find really interesting is when someone asks what we paid for the bike. When faced with, how much was that?!?! From your partner or loved one, its best to look at your shoes and take half off....

Can anyone think of a better acronym for RRP?
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    Sorry

I have a weird sense of humour

(The fallen warrior - Tandem (I saw four legs), Clipless, Black & White team colour, Skinsuit, On board rehydration system and race number)

I may have been racing a cow

I did win however!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • snooks wrote:

Ahem. I think we've been up that hill and down that dale quite enough. All I'll say now is (a) trying SCR'ing in all red-kit. No one gives you any breaks; and (b) the glasses are now yellow frames + yellow lenses until spring comes back. Better vis at night (although at the price of a co-ordination calamity!).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sorry

I have a weird sense of humour

I may have been racing a cow

I did win however!

and the prize for "daftest post of the month" goes to... :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    On another note - this morning i received a salient lesson in the importance of maintaining good chain tension, put on a little spurt to get in front of a bus on Lambeth bridge only for my chain to jump off the rear and then front ring, no damage done thank God, but I'll be tightening the tension before setting off this evening.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I passed every single bike today and scalped a street cleaning thingy

Got to work very pleased with myself.

Got out of the car ....

Oh b*gger I've given it away

:wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Greg66 wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Ahem. I think we've been up that hill and down that dale quite enough. All I'll say now is (a) trying SCR'ing in all red-kit. No one gives you any breaks; and (b) the glasses are now yellow frames + yellow lenses until spring comes back. Better vis at night (although at the price of a co-ordination calamity!).

Just to be clear the lenses are yellow, not a "dark shade of orange" right :wink:
    Besides @ FCN 0 you shouldn't expect many breaks, but then at least it might reduce the cases of SMIDSY!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    On another note - this morning i received a salient lesson in the importance of maintaining good chain tension, put on a little spurt to get in front of a bus on Lambeth bridge only for my chain to jump off the rear and then front ring, no damage done thank God, but I'll be tightening the tension before setting off this evening.

How do you do this?
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    snooks wrote:

I propose the following poll: "Who is the biggest tart: Greg66 or Jash?"
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    snooks wrote:

I propose the following poll: "Who is the biggest tart: Greg66 or Jash?"

Jash rides an Italian frame. He wins. No question. 8)

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino wrote:

How do you do this?

Assuming this is the Pearson rather than the Prince (I think) you set the back wheel further back in the drop outs; presumably there are some screws in the drop outs that you can tighten to shorten their depth.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm worried about riding home now - eveyone is going to point at me and shout "fashion disaster" :oops:
  • Greg66 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

How do you do this?

Assuming this is the Pearson rather than the Prince (I think) you set the back wheel further back in the drop outs; presumably there are some screws in the drop outs that you can tighten to shorten their depth.

Indeedy - on a SS it's very easy - pull the wheel back and re-tension the bolts, or tighten up the chain tugs.

On the prince I'd have NO IDEA. :shock: