Silly commuting racing

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    linsen wrote:
    good grief is this the day for confessions? I was born in 1943

You bloody weren't. Not with a neck like that (one in the sideways picture of you wearing a necklace).
  • biondino
    Greg T wrote:
    a load of Rugby players shouted at each other in a bar that they were good looking - if that is a "study" at Loughborough then yes.

When rugby players think each other are good looking they find a way to demonstrate such opinions on the rugby pitch itself.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was sitting O Levels by then!

What the devil are O'Levels

They're a famous family of Irish demolition engineers. ;)

That is incredibly funny for a young'in
    They are what degrees are now.

My word, that's why the world has gone to pot, your generation weren't taught properly....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    '79 here. I'm absurdly proud of the fact I wasn't born in the 80's.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054

Yeah...kids these days....tsk...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    All these young, muscly people...giving me an excuse for being so slow at least.
    59kg (and 5' 10"), 1973. And no, being that thin is not an aero advantage, not when you're sitting upright anyway. Top speed on the flat 26. With a tailwind.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Baaaaacccckkk on topic.

I kept a clean sheet tonight, when I mean clean, I mean spotless (well one small spot, but I'll come to that in due time) NO one overtook me tonight, I took roadies, tourers, hybrids, SS the works...Everyone in my way was scalped and left dangling, like a dangly thing left blowing in the millbank wind tunnel 13 miles and no on overtook me

OK, there was just one person in 13 miles home, but he was 8 ft summut, his seat was at my eye level, he was tall, and rode like the wind, he was riding a white rimmed, highly polished shiny metal single speed Bianchi took me through Putney... I gave chase but he stopped before after the little roundabout on the way to Mr B's Death Bridge.

He's have done me any day of the week, but then again I was riding a MTB with Slicks and I had the hammer of the gods playing my tune :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    1947 - the day they nationalised coal - that avatar picture is REALLY me :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    "How are you then cow?" says I

Cow looked at me again: "Moooo!"

.......Oh God damn; it I've got my threads crossed again........

<mumble> <mumble> <mutter>
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BMI is a load of tosh. According to BMI my sister's boyfriend is obese. He's not - just did the UK ironman in 10:55:56 which equates to 11in his age category and 83rd overall. Nope BMI = Bollocks.

Yep, that's a good time allright. What were his splits?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Wheels of Fire tonight, and felt like there was more in the tank. Oh wait, that would be the tailwind...

Have to say though, my average speed is dropping significantly with the darkness and rain. Tonight was only faster because it was dry and a reasonably clear night for the fast bits given that there was no cloud cover.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    Did the embankment today on the way home as I was cycling to Wimbledon. Got to on traffic light where 5 riders were waiting for me; before the next bridge I'd scalped them all. No points since none had shaved legs (that I noticed), but a couple of keen roadies - to scalp the quickest one I definitely came to a new appreciation of the term "skin breathing".

Funny day's ride - absolutely no energy in the morning, but I was pretty darn quick in the evening (after cjcp's helpful phone advice helped me fix an unexpected bike issue!). Coming home at midnight and cycling alongside Wimbledon common - it's bloody cold!! Hit 35mph going down Putney Hill but unsurprisingly no battles to be reported. Over and out.
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125

Likewise and seconded.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Nothing doing last night or this morning. On both rides saw a big bloke I've come across before who rides a black Planet X. Closest thing to a bit of sport, but certainly this morning he was in active recovery.

But this is a record. Vauxhall Br lights to HoP: 22 bikes passed. Only one was a roadie (said PX, and that wasn't a scalping; just a pass due to me getting a green light at speed). The rest to a man/woman were on hybrids, wearing either yellow hi-viz jackets or yellow hi-viz backpack covers.

Is there a factory in somewhere in China churning these people out?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Nothing doing last night or this morning. On both rides saw a big bloke I've come across before who rides a black Planet X. Closest thing to a bit of sport, but certainly this morning he was in active recovery.

Wears a high viz jacket and long baggies, possibly shades too?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Well, I was born in 1980 and proud to be an eighties child.

I'm 14 st 5 lbs (91kg) and not so proud.

I also stood on the scales with my panniers this morning out of curiosity....16 st 5 lbs.

Really should take a look at reducing excess baggage on both accounts.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Nothing doing last night or this morning. On both rides saw a big bloke I've come across before who rides a black Planet X. Closest thing to a bit of sport, but certainly this morning he was in active recovery.

Lycra DHB tights today. Yes to the hi-viz and the shades. About 6'3" and not sylph-looking. Chatted to him last week at the VB lights. He said the PX flexes like crazy (gave me a demo) and that the standard wheels had buckled under his weight: he'd had to replace them with some triple laced jobs. Quite a smooth rider. Looks like there's more in the tank than he's dipping into.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I was happily cycling/drifting along in a daze and someone does me a roadie thankfully enough I'm on his tail in an instant we're down beckenham hill and hitting the flat at speed, I can reel him in and take him, oh a nother roadie beign closed in on as well...sweet... the trafic lights change ahead of us amber... maybe and then red stop he keeps going FU<KING HELL why everytime I get taken and fight back they bl00dy well RLJ

It's really frustrating damnit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Lycra DHB tights today. Yes to the hi-viz and the shades. About 6'3" and not sylph-looking. Chatted to him last week at the VB lights. He said the PX flexes like crazy (gave me a demo) and that the standard wheels had buckled under his weight: he'd had to replace them with some triple laced jobs. Quite a smooth rider. Looks like there's more in the tank than he's dipping into.

That's the chap. He filters quickly, which surprises me for a big lad. Did he say whether it came with the Reynolds Alta Race wheels? Lots of reports of the spokes pinging on those shortly after purchase.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

That's the chap. He filters quickly, which surprises me for a big lad. Did he say whether it came with the Reynolds Alta Race wheels? Lots of reports of the spokes pinging on those shortly after purchase.

I don't think he did say which wheels, but oddly I have a firm impression that they were the Reynolds. Maybe just because I know those are the standard wheels with that frame.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I don't think he did say which wheels, but oddly I have a firm impression that they were the Reynolds. Maybe just because I know those are the standard wheels with that frame.

Interesting that it flexes. Is that because of his particular build? For some reason, I've always preferred the alu Team frame to the carbon build.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

Interesting that it flexes. Is that because of his particular build? For some reason, I've always preferred the alu Team frame to the carbon build.

Could just be big bloke syndrome. If you're 6'3 and (I'd guess) 14-15 stone, you need a big frame. Then you have big triangles which are easier to flex in any event, and you've got more weight and usually more power absolute although a lower power:weight ratio.

Hence why
    Now you're a big bloke, but you're out of shape, and I do this for a living

works.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Screw that I scalped a scooter this morning!"!!! On my Dew Deluxe!!! He was at the mini roundabout reving on the way in. I entered the roundabout behind him, already on the big ring, then laid the hammers down and took before the next junction (40m).

Yeah,
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Nice work symo

for those of you with zero and minus FCN's does that mean you get scalped my mopeds/scooters???
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:
    BMI is a load of tosh. According to BMI my sister's boyfriend is obese. He's not - just did the UK ironman in 10:55:56 which equates to 11in his age category and 83rd overall. Nope BMI = Bollocks.

Yep, that's a good time allright. What were his splits?

Swim: 01:02:44
    Bike: 05:54:07
    Run: 03:50:13
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Could just be big bloke syndrome. If you're 6'3 and (I'd guess) 14-15 stone, you need a big frame. Then you have big triangles which are easier to flex in any event, and you've got more weight and usually more power absolute although a lower power:weight ratio.

Hence why
    Now you're a big bloke, but you're out of shape, and I do this for a living

works.

So, I have £1000 - £1500 to spend on a bike, bearing in mind that I am 5'11 and 14/15 stone - and can put the vast majority of that weight on either pedal or the handlebars (and often do), what carbon fibre bike should I consider? Should I consider carbon fibre at all or should I go for a Carbon/Aluminium concoction? Or should I just get another aluminium roadie?

Please take into power to weight ratios....
    Greg66 wrote:
    The rest to a man/woman were on hybrids, wearing either yellow hi-viz jackets or yellow hi-viz backpack covers.

Is there a factory in somewhere in China churning these people out?
    Oh you've gone and done it now!

I can no longer get the high-viz jacket I saw and liked for fear of losing my uniqueness and becoming one of 'those people'....

Gonna have to get a completely different jacket now!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    No action this morning on my Willesden to Borough route. Thank fcuk actually as I was carrying 4 litres of water in my bag along with a heavy lock and other goodies - weighed a tonne and my left shoulder is still thanking me for it. I would have been easy meat.

Fricking chain came off again last night, I cannot understand how as tension is good and i re-tensioned yesterday. I'm wondering if my MTFU style :lol: has worn the rear sprockets already...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    So, I have £1000 - £1500 to spend on a bike, bearing in mind that I am 5'11 and 14/15 stone - and can put the vast majority of that weight on either pedal or the handlebars (and often do), what carbon fibre bike should I consider? Should I consider carbon fibre at all or should I go for a Carbon/Aluminium concoction? Or should I just get another aluminium roadie?

Please take into power to weight ratios....

Hmm. Something stiff. Don't worry about the frame material so much as whether the frame is stiff. A Focus Cayo, maybe (I think Biondino has one of those - ping him). Or an alu Soloist (Cervelo poster-boy strikes again). Or a Storck, but they're quite pricey.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh you've gone and done it now!

I can no longer get the high-viz jacket I saw and liked for fear of losing my uniqueness and becoming one of 'those people'....

Gonna have to get a completely different jacket now!

That is completely correct. But you just need to be seen. You don't need to look like you work for the Highways Agency. If you want to be seen, choose a bright colour. I've heard red is quite easily noticed...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if you really want to be seen, set yourself on fire...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    if you really want to be seen, set yourself on fire...

Which bright spark thought of suggested that :-)

DDD, from what I understand the Focus Cayo is a great bike the around 1K and according to the Wiggle newsletter I got this morning the 2008 model is reduced 20% making it £899.99.....

Failing that just listen to everyone else as I only have the previous year model to your bike so I'm hardly in a position to really offer any helpful advice!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5