Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But endurance wise surely it comes down to the type of muscles you develop. To my understanding (and a real simplyfied version) there are lean muscles that lend themselves to making a person looked ripped (great for endurance I think it has something to do with the generation of lactic acids amongst other things) and there are the big bulky mass muscles (most used for short bursts of absolute power) - that aren't good for endurance. Lean muscles still wiegh more than fat but not as much as the bulky mass muscles.

The subject of eating: My doctor is Asian and felt that he could give me a lecture about the troubles of Carribean Food/Indian food sold in this country not being healthy (whereas in the homeland there is nothing healthier). He said to eat healthy smaller amounts throughout the day as you body can metabolise them quicker. Also not starve yourself because your body will force itself into 'starvation mode' and is infact harder to loose weight immediatly (obviously you will loose weight but not through exercise as you won't have energy to loose weight).

Lastly, how your built. (Here he goes again) I'm fairly wide, shaped differently to Europeans that I suspect BMI's and ideal weight guidelines are based on. There has to be acceptable variables to the rule because not everyone (especially around the World) is shaped the same. This may be the case for yourself (not having seen you I'm speculating) but you may be 12stone but your body may demand that you are infact 12stone as in your optimum weight.

Please feel free to correct and educate me on what I'm saying here, your the athlete I'm the overweight brotha riding a bike in a vein hope...

Very true, and I'd posted my BMI rant before I read this. People's builds do vary enormously, and it really annoys me when so many people get caught up in the whole BMI thing. As an adult my weight has generally been just over 12 stone. I was lighter for a while last year, but I put on weight through not training much this spring, and it hasn't budged even though I'm back in training again.

I have a (very) recent history of an eating disorder (clearly not the one where you get skinny ;)) and I have to make a real effort to stop looking at the stats and comparing myself to other people. It's useless, we're all different.

And I would say as bike commuters, everyone here is going to be healthier than normal. so I suggest we all sit back and feel smug :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BMI is a load of tosh. According to BMI my sister's boyfriend is obese. He's not - just did the UK ironman in 10:55:56 which equates to 11in his age category and 83rd overall. Nope BMI = Bollocks.
  • Jen J
    BMI is a load of tosh. According to BMI my sister's boyfriend is obese. He's not - just did the UK ironman in 10:55:56 which equates to 11in his age category and 83rd overall. Nope BMI = Bollocks.

I just said that.

Brilliant time btw.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • They did a study at Loughborough University. Apparently, ex rugby players are by far the most handsome cyclists....
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Jash is clearly jealous!

Our turf overlaps (he worked in Croydon - TKmaxx - I worked in Croydon - Virgin Megastores and Ernest Jones), He went to school in the Croydon area I went to school in the Croydon srea, we are roughly the same age/generation and our commute encorporates the same bouroughs of South London. - Translation: Mans is both from 'da endz' get me and we have an understanding.

Bass, couldn't resist Jen J's comments about where the majority of here weight is contained all she now needs to say is she has brown hair and green eyes and I'm going all romantic like Don_Don on this site... lol

Yes when I go to visit my girlfriend (obviously I wouldn't never cheat on my girlfriend and any flirtation on this site is just that I love my girlfriend dearly) I go all the way through Walworth Road and towards E&C it is a thing of beauty right now, a drag strip proper and thinking about it, given the weather, makes me want to ride that way home (completely in the wrong direction!)

Snooks, when we met I didn't exactly think that you needed to loose any weight. I was actually thinking "how the hell is he getting all that speed out of a mountain bike." Now that is MTFU if I've ever seen it, my hat goes off to you even more so. But well done with the dedication of loosing weight.
    I changed my diet permanently, limit the treats to 1 packet of crisps a week, one takeaway a month. I now eat less red meat, eat a bigger lunch and a smaller dinner,rty to eat earlier, only drink when there's a good reason to. And I try to keep my cycling at around 100 miles a week, as well as going to the gym 3x a week and kickboxing once a week.

I'm going to do something similar when I move, hopefully, to Wimbledon. Not sure about the alchohol (may switch to wine) and red meat :( that would upset me greatly....

But that is some serious lifestyle chages hat goes off to you as well. Thanks for the advice.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    They did a study at Loughborough University. Apparently, ex rugby players are by far the most handsome cyclists....

Study at Loughborough?

They don't study anything at Loughborough, just talk loudly in the bar, wear sports kit all the time and either talk about or play games.

It's like a middle rank boarding school where the PE department has got completely out of hand.

I can completely understand if you mean a load of Rugby players shouted at each other in a bar that they were good looking - if that is a "study" at Loughborough then yes.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Our turf overlaps (he worked in Croydon - TKmaxx - I worked in Croydon - Virgin Megastores and Ernest Jones), He went to school in the Croydon area I went to school in the Croydon srea, we are roughly the same age/generation and our commute encorporates the same bouroughs of South London. - Translation: Mans is both from 'da endz' get me and we have an understanding.

I worked in Croydon - Ikea and went to school in the Croydon area.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going to do something similar when I move, hopefully, to Wimbledon.

I live in Wimbledon.

are you stalking me?

(Brown eyes btw ;))
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2008
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I worked in Croydon - Ikea and went to school in the Croydon area.

I worked in Virgin Megastore some years ago and then later in Ernest Jones jewelers in Central while at home in the Summer when I was at Uni.

I went to Stanley Technical High School for boys.

Born in 1982.
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going to do something similar when I move, hopefully, to Wimbledon.

I live in Wimbledon.

are you stalking me?

Brown eyes btw ;))

Your safe!

and though she may not cycle I love my girlfriend dearly
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    I'll join in as well.

Firstly not a bean on the way to the office as usual. Gutted as I'm on the Lemond racing snake again today. FCN 5

Secondly 65kg (10 1/4 st) - 1.75m (5'9'') - 2 score minus 4 years old.

I lost 10kg in the summer touring fully loaded around the Irish Republic for a fortnight.
  • Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Born in 1982.

Awww...you're just a baby. I was at school by then.

I only escaped from living near Croydon 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • It's like a middle rank boarding school where the PE department has got completely out of hand.

The Sunday Times voted Loughborough best university of the year...http://www.lboro.ac.uk/about/uni-of-year.html

But yes, it was probably all sport no study back in your day...
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    This is turning into one of those 6 degrees of seperation things where everyone is finding out how they are linked with everyone else, asides from being overly competitive with a penchant for cycling to work.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Born in 1982.

I was sitting O Levels by then! :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Born in 1982.

Also born 1982 :-) Whilst I'm still awaiting the escape from Croydon - I did live over in St Mary's Cray for a while but that was more like a huge leap backwards!!!!

Due to my work role where I live atm is ideal as it puts me within a nice easy reach of all the places I need to work and is fairly close to most of our family, the exception being the wifes father who lives down towards Worcester/Malvern. I'd love to live out over that way but my road bike wouldn't fare to well on the 3/4 mile "road" down to his house!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    This is turning into one of those 6 degrees of seperation things where everyone is finding out how they are linked with everyone else, asides from being overly competitive with a penchant for cycling to work.....

don't forget the OCD
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Born in 1982.

Baby by how many years.... :oops:

Leaving London was the best thing I ever did. Can't wait to get out of Norbury/Croydon though I don't venture there hardly ever exept to shop and buy comics.....
    I was sitting O Levels by then!

What the devil are O'Levels
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    edited October 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Baby by how many years.... :oops:

Only a few years - I'd literally *just* started school.
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They're what people did in olden times before they started work in t'mines and t'factory.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    "DonDaddyD wrote:

Wotchit! You're on very thin ice there, young man...
  • Jen J
    Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Wotchit! You're on very thin ice there, young man...

Oops.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Born in 1982.

Also born 1982 :-)

Aha! I was born in 1983! Hurrah for being the youngest (who has posted on this topic so far)! I will now begin to provide all you oldies with the 'youth perspective' on everything...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

They are what degrees are now.

[In my day, etc etc , blah blah, drone drone.....]
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They are what degrees are now.

[In my day, etc etc , blah blah, drone drone.....]

Chapeau good call :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    good grief is this the day for confessions? I was born in 1943
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Is that Durdle Door behind you? Not seen it in the sun so only guessing :)
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • linsen
    Feltup wrote:
    Is that Durdle Door behind you? Not seen it in the sun so only guessing :)

Yes it is.

I like it there :)
  • Feltup
    Actually I lied and have had a few nice evenings BBQ'ing down the otherside at Man O' War. I don't recommend the leap off the top, it stings even in a wetsuit, BBQing is much better!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • linsen
    Last time I was there they were stretchering somone away who'd done that...

I shan't be trying it!
  • Aha! I was born in 1983! Hurrah for being the youngest (who has posted on this topic so far)! I will now begin to provide all you oldies with the 'youth perspective' on everything...
    1985: Beatcha! Born a week before the events of "Back to the Future" ;)

I'm probably taller than most of you, though...
  • Feltup
    linsen wrote:
    Last time I was there they were stretchering somone away who'd done that...

I shan't be trying it!

It is big but it still aint clever. Wonder if that was the one where a doctor on the beach saw him jump and not surface and swam down and rescued him. Very lucky lad. Going to have to take my bike down that way next summer, beautiful lanes that are crying out to be ridden.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

They're a famous family of Irish demolition engineers. ;)