Silly commuting racing

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Sorry

I have a weird sense of humour

(The fallen warrior - Tandem (I saw four legs), Clipless, Black & White team colour, Skinsuit, On board rehydration system and race number)

I may have been racing a cow

I did win however!

and the prize for "daftest post of the month" goes to... :lol:

Wouldn't hand out any prizes just yet- still a lot of October to go! :D

knight2k Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:37 am Post subject:

I've heard of this tailwind phenomena. I didn't think it applied to me, not having a tail and all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I actually had a really good ride home last night, despite the weather. I forget how much faster you seem to go in the wet, so I coughed and spluttered my way home.

However, I am gutted as I had to take the tube this morning due to an impending departure to Finland... It's 9 degrees and raining there. Great. Puts the kaibosh on my cycling to meetings. :cry:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    last night the traffic was sparse, made for an easy journey home.. got a bit wet not big deal and put a courier in his place fixie o fixie... pleasing

Nothing this morning except 2 attempted left hooks
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Saw the aftermath of a minor accident near Parson's Green this morning - cyclist and bike on floor, white van stopped across the carriageway while pulling out from side road on left - presumably van had pulled out without seeing cyclist, cyclist hit side of van.

The cyclist was fine, if a little shaken and bruised, and bike fine too (I didn't much bother about the van!) - but what amazed me was the total disinterest of other road users. I got there probably 30 seconds to a minute after it had happened, and nobody had stopped (there were other cyclists ahead of me), so I did stop to check everyone was OK and to see if the chap needed help with his bike. In fairness one other cyclist later stopped as well, but that was it: some drivers even started hooting for the van and cyclist to get out of the road, while the cyclist was getting up! Just found it all a bit depressing really - yes it was a minor accident, yes everyone was OK, but stopping just to show concern or offer mechanical assistance doesn't take much. Also presumably there were people who actually witnessed what happened who didn't stop....

OK rant over - although I did notice (as I've posted before) that today was one of those days where there seemed to be a lot of idiots on the roads - saw a cyclist nearly mow down a ped on a zebra crossing, had peds step out in front of me, saw a van driver go mental at a car....something in the air or water today?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I think it is something about today, I'm on the ol' tin box as I'm working a long way from home this week but a work colleague did say she got a "hand gesture" from a female passenger in a car as she was trying to join a busy main road. She was creeping out waiting for a gap and this women seemed to take offense.

Saw the usual numptys who don't think they should have to wait in queueing traffic and instead push in at the last moment but I think that is just to be expected nowadays! God how I miss my bike and it's only been 3 days in the car, I still have 4 left :-(
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yep I had 2 close calls this morning, some twunt pulled right into the cycle lane in front of me without indicating. I hurt my hand banging on the side of his car. Almost mowed down a dozy ped further down the same road - just stepped into the street without looking. Did well to avoid that one 'cos I was shifting and it would have hurt a lot! I hate peds in the rain, I did actually collide with an oriental lady earlier on this year; she wandered out into the road with an umbrella totally obscuring her vision, ignored my desperate warning then stepped right into my path, front wheel caught her square between the legs. Luckily I'd scrubbed the speed off and she was ok; made for a comical scene though.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I pulled up to the Vauxhall Bridge mega junction last night, the ASL was full of mopeds (shock) so I was just at the top of the feeder bike lane with a bus on my right - I'm just forward of the front doors...

You know where I'm going here don't you....

He's not indicating but my spidey senses are tingling as despite the fact that I'm forward left of the bus, in plain sight of the driver and he's not indicating - I just know that he's going to try and kill me. If I do nothing and just stay where I am the back of the bus is going to collect me as it goes round.....

SHOCK

The lights go green and he's off behind the ASL peloton, suddenly he's indicating and here he comes to kill me.

I'm primed for this and am banging on the doors big time. He decides that killing me isn't entirely neccesary and lets me go unkilled.

Remember gamers - assume nothing and have an escape plan.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Good call GT, it doesn't matter if I'm in my car or on my bike, drivers that either indicate late or fail to indicate always pi55 me off!

Even when I have no one else around I'll still indicate my intentions as it's become second nature for me, I think DDD commented on the fact that I was giving hand signals on the signed route from Clapham to Freewheel, it's got to the point where I just do them just so other road users (peds or vehicles) are clear of what I'm doing. Even if I can't see anyone around it doesn't mean there isn't someone there!

Glad to hear your safe tho and everyone remember, you can't SCR from A&E!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Tiptop cyclist senses - If in doubt everyone will try to kill you.

Indicators are an optional extra and you are less important than pondslime as far as drivers are concerned. (note this is only my point of view for keeping myself safe, I know most drivers are actually quite considerate).
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Greg T wrote:
    He's not indicating but my spidey senses are tingling as despite the fact that I'm forward left of the bus, in plain sight of the driver and he's not indicating - I just know that he's going to try and kill me. If I do nothing and just stay where I am the back of the bus is going to collect me as it goes round.....

All buses turn left over the bridge at that junction though...

My tip, when there's a bus in the LH lane, is to switch over and filter between lane 1 & lane 2.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Good run in this morning - cold but sunny last nights wind had gone still no scalps though - saw a couple of roadies in the distance but they'd turned off before I got to them - the usual MTBs creaking along
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:

My tip, when there's a bus in the LH lane, is to switch over and filter between lane 1 & lane 2.

You know in eight years of doing that route I hadn't worked that out.....

I have things that live in my fridge that have a better pattern recognition ability than me.....

I often go for 1 and 2 to get into the moped stop box but this was blocked.

• Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I have things that live in my fridge that have a better pattern recognition ability than me.....

:D:D:D

I take it the absence of bus stops along the next stretch of road passed you by...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Oh suddenly it's all so fecking obvious isn't it.

Yes I get it - no bus lanes, no buses, no queues - suddenly it's blindingly stupidly obvious that buses don't run down the embankment and I'm a wang eyed eejut who didn't work out for himself that big red buses weren't there.

I'm watching you and waiting in the long grass (to the right of the filter lane)

• The cyclist was fine, if a little shaken and bruised, and bike fine too (I didn't much bother about the van!) - but what amazed me was the total disinterest of other road users. I got there probably 30 seconds to a minute after it had happened, and nobody had stopped (there were other cyclists ahead of me), so I did stop to check everyone was OK and to see if the chap needed help with his bike. In fairness one other cyclist later stopped as well, but that was it: some drivers even started hooting for the van and cyclist to get out of the road, while the cyclist was getting up! Just found it all a bit depressing really - yes it was a minor accident, yes everyone was OK, but stopping just to show concern or offer mechanical assistance doesn't take much. Also presumably there were people who actually witnessed what happened who didn't stop....

You know, I had a big crash on the fixie in peak hour traffic a few weeks ago. Somehow i managed to pull out of one of my cleats, lock the wheels and then found myself taking off over the handlebars in to a 180 somersault. Managed to land on the back of my head on the rucksack fortunately, but i made a fantastic noise. This took the wind right out of me, and the first sense to register was that of the shrieking laughter form all the motorists and bystanders. I was down for about two minutes trying to get my breath, then of course, before considering if my limbs were pointing in the right direction, you immediately think...MY BIKE!!!!!

In retrospect, i see the funny side of seeing someone fall off their bike, but not someone who was clearly in trouble or pain. Not one miserable snake offered their help.
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I take it the absence of bus stops along the next stretch of road passed you by...

Isn't there a weight limit along the west bound part of Embankment after V Bridge lights?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Isn't there a weight limit along the west bound part of Embankment after V Bridge lights?

Yeah.

13 stone 12 lbs.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yeah.

13 stone 12 lbs.

Greg T - doesn't the warning sign flash when you ride up to it advising you to turn back?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yeah.

13 stone 12 lbs.

Greg T - doesn't the warning sign flash when you ride up to it advising you to turn back?

Right before it does this: :shock:, rips itself out of the pavement and starts running for higher ground.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I weighed myself today 15 1/2 stone... lightest I've been since I was a nipper but then I'm practically 6'5 and have shoulders
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    12st 2lbs this morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • (Predictably) I use kilos. 82.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I think DDD commented on the fact that I was giving hand signals on the signed route from Clapham to Freewheel,

A skill I am developing heavily as a simple hand gesture or signal (be it hazard lights, indicators, break lights) in good time can potentially save lives. As well as when stopped making eye contact with the motorists behind you.

That said there is no accounting for busses or lorries. For me no man's land is on their left (or right) anywhere that isn't behind or at least 3 feet infront of them. If a lorry/bus/HGV pulls up alongside me, if I can't filter ahead then I get off my bike, mount the curb and wait to rejoin traffic when safe.

This brings me to yesterday morning, riding in the bus lane along Denmark Hill, bus stop heading up with lots of people waiting, I sense and hear something (wierd how all the senses tell your brain "danger" in one go). Looking over my right shoulder there is a bus gaining on me with the front of it lined up alongside my cranks. Close enough for me to stick an arm out and touch it and its still banking left to stop at the bus stop. There was no way he would have overtaken me before we got to the bus stop meaning I would have ended up underneath the bus. There was also no way he did not see me, it wasn't like I was creeping up to him he crept up on me :shock:

Shouting acknowledged and eye contact made, bus starts backing off and I look back at the driver followed by the words "what the f*ck are you doing you f**king pr*ck" (blind rage had long since settled in and I'm not proud to say it but I was ready for some serious violence because this dude had me generally afraid for my life), he revs the engine, I stop pedalling and just stare at him as I roll past the bus stop where he has to stop.

Yesterday 6pm was a pootle home of epic proportions, I'm not confident in the rain and I barely got above 15mph mostly held a solid 14mph most of the route. What I did notice was I was going slow enough for the lights not to effect me and took only 3mins longer to get home than a day like today where I'll be riding about 17mph+ (where I can) and actively racing. I guess active recovery really does slow your overall journey down.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Greg66 wrote:
    (Predictably) I use kilos. 82.

I use either, but I think last time I checked I was about 64Kg, which as I'm am rather "compact" and don't seem to put weight on despite what I eat, isn't to bad :-) My wife has warned me tho that it will all catch up with me one day...........this is one instance where I hope she is wrong!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yeah.

13 stone 12 lbs.

Snork. Very funny. But come now, play nicely, boys.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm either 14st or 15stone. Depending on the scales in my house.

I'm 5' 11.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    (Predictably) I use kilos. 82.

Jaysus.

6 kilos lighter than me and you are cracking on like Victoria fecking Beckham.

As for all the late bandwagon jumping and porker gags (I'm looking at you here CJ) you can all ram it. I have big bones

Cartman-751261.JPG

• Bassjunkieuk
    DDD, which way where you heading on Denmark Hill when you had the problem?
    I often get that horrid revving behind me when I have a bus stop ahead and a few times the to55er's have tried to race past and get the the stop. I use Denmark Hill but normally join/leave it at Sunray Avenue. I know there's a few stops on the climb up it and on the way down I'm normally well over into the middle of the bus lane as I'm doing about 25 and know how some drivers think the bus lane is actually a giveway line extension.......

I did see a cyclist get into a rather heated argument with a coach driver once heading down Kennington Park Road. The coach driver in question was racing down the bus lane, which had several cyclist in (not all where the super confident type). All the cyclist asked, once the driver had stopped, was for him to slow down or pull over to give us more room. He didn't so at the next stop the cyclist again confronted him about it and this time the driver actually got out of the coach and right into the cyclist face.

It's scary to think that people like that can be put in charge of such a large vehicle.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    182LB or 13st

So just the boys playing this game then :wink: next we'll be back onto the how old are you thing...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    itboffin wrote:
    182LB or 13st

So just the boys playing this game then :wink: next we'll be back onto the how old are you thing...

Fine. I'll play. 81kg. I carry my weight well, ok? And I have really heavy bones. And a massive brain :twisted:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...