Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    if you really want to be seen, set yourself on fire...

Which bright spark thought of suggested that :-)

DDD, from what I understand the Focus Cayo is a great bike the around 1K and according to the Wiggle newsletter I got this morning the 2008 model is reduced 20% making it £899.99.....

Failing that just listen to everyone else as I only have the previous year model to your bike so I'm hardly in a position to really offer any helpful advice!

Wiggle doesn't have a Focus Cayo in my size anymore as a double/compact. I'm not buying a triple.

The 09 Focus Cayo is no longer Dura Ace (with a cheeky not listed Ultegra front derailuer). For £999 its components are 105 :shock: I can't willingly spend £1000 for a 105 component bike knowing that the previous year it sported Dura Ace. The £1500 Cayo Ultegra (equivalent to the Focus Cayo Expert 08 price point) is well Ultegra, which isn't that bad - though I can't live with a 50/34 front crank thingy....

I'm finding it hard to adjust to the more expensive lower spec approach most manufactuers have gone for with the '09 range. The only bike company that hasn't done this seems to be Planet X (though £100/£200 more expensive) and Wilier. The entire Wilier range at DeVer is £100 cheaper.

May try and persuade the girlfriend to let me get a Izoard sometime next year.... "you give me Izoard I give you babies...."
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    May try and persuade the girlfriend to let me get a Izoard sometime next year....

Awww...bless...

I've heard of lot of people say they reckon the prices are up so much for 09 bikes as sales of 'last years' models are taking so much business, so they're pushing up prices to be able to 'discount' them in a years time and still get a decent margin.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    May try and persuade the girlfriend to let me get a Izoard sometime next year.... "you give me Izoard I give you babies...."

Steady, tiger - a baby would equal a lovely bike but absolutely NO time to ride it...
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Hmm. Something stiff. Don't worry about the frame material so much as whether the frame is stiff. A Focus Cayo, maybe (I think Biondino has one of those - ping him). Or an alu Soloist (Cervelo poster-boy strikes again). Or a Storck, but they're quite pricey.

Or a Scott CR1, or maybe something from Canyon (www.canyon.de; German, like Storck and Focus - spotting a pattern?)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Hmm. Something stiff. Don't worry about the frame material so much as whether the frame is stiff. A Focus Cayo, maybe (I think Biondino has one of those - ping him). Or an alu Soloist (Cervelo poster-boy strikes again). Or a Storck, but they're quite pricey.

Or a Scott CR1, or maybe something from Canyon (www.canyon.de; German, like Storck and Focus - spotting a pattern?)

So I need to look at something German, if I want something stiff....

Oh boy....

How about something Italian? Are Wilier's stiff?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    May try and persuade the girlfriend to let me get a Izoard sometime next year....

Awww...bless...

**MTFU moment**

Easy, your talking to a guy who arranged to go to the Lake District with his girlfriend and 'accidentally' bought a bike with his side of the money instead.....

**MTFU moment**

After apologising many many times, a trip to the restaurant, doing some stuff even I'd care not to share and a holiday to Spain the following month I made it back into the good books... just.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Awww...bless...

**MTFU moment**

Easy, your talking to a guy who arranged to go to the Lake District with his girlfriend and 'accidentally' bought a bike with his side of the money instead.....

**MTFU moment**

After apologising many many times, a trip to the restaurant, doing some stuff even I'd care not to share and a holiday to Spain the following month I made it back into the good books... just.

Quite right too - that's the least you owed her. I hope she's still throwing it back at you every time you have an argument :D

It was the words 'let me' that stood out from your post. She's obviously got you well-trained. Now, anyway ;)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Wilier's are fab bikes, you won't go wrong with a Wilier. :D
  • Jen J wrote:
    I've heard of lot of people say they reckon the prices are up so much for 09 bikes as sales of 'last years' models are taking so much business, so they're pushing up prices to be able to 'discount' them in a years time and still get a decent margin.

I suspect that it has something to do with the weakness of the £.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I have the 2006 version of the Scott CR1 Pro. I bought it in Jan '07 in the sales and got a great discount because the 2008 CR1 frames were out. I think the CR1 range is being phased out for '09 - read a review of a new Scott in C+ recently - so you may pick up a bargain on '08 models this winter.

I'm extremely happy with it. As PosterBoy66 says, it's stiff, and it's much faster than I can ever make it go (I think I'm right in saying that a chap in my club bought one and rode to a top 10 finish in a big French sportif on it). I've not however ridden a Focus Cayo or a Cervelo (the alu Soloist is, I think, on the pricey side for alu builds, but you should certainly test ride if you have the opportunity), so cannot compare.

As for the Canyon, I've heard that they are meant to represent good VFM.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Awww...bless...

**MTFU moment**

**MTFU moment**

Quite right too - that's the least you owed her. I hope she's still throwing it back at you every time you have an argument :D

It was the words 'let me' that stood out from your post. She's obviously got you well-trained. Now, anyway ;)

I wouldn't like to say/admit 'that she has me trained' more that there is an understanding.
    Wilier's are fab bikes, you won't go wrong with a Wilier.

I've fallen in love with the Izoard in the front window of my local bike shop (DeVer) I really think its a thing of beauty. It has been the cause of my being late to work many times!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    MTFU. Just buy it :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:

Ok, your the boss.

Though I think I'll be looking at a summer/end of summer purchase.... urgh!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Ok, your the boss.

Though I think I'll be looking at a summer/end of summer purchase.... urgh!

Perfect - it's end of summer now :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    Yeah go on, early Xmas pressie to yourself...

It'll make you faster and stronger and your girlfriend will fancy you even more*

*Wilier Guarantee.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    edited October 2008
    Izoard_Centaur_Frameset_Red_White.JPG

I can fully understand wanting that........I have spent a long time gazing lovingly at those lovely curvy bikes at the Cycle Surgery in Spitalfiels before :-)

Edit to replace the HUGE picture :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've fallen in love with the Izoard in the front window of my local bike shop (DeVer) I really think its a thing of beauty. It has been the cause of my being late to work many times!

Hasn't be got a big ol' P3C in the Cancellara World Champion colourscheme in the window as well?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk

It'll make you faster and stronger and your girlfriend will fancy you even more*

*Wilier Guarantee.

Not a good thing for someone who plows into innocent children :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    If you want to be seen, choose a bright colour. I've heard red is quite easily noticed...

So long as you don't go out after dark then yes red is fine.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    No action this morning on my Willesden to Borough route. Thank fcuk actually as I was carrying 4 litres of water in my bag along with a heavy lock and other goodies - weighed a tonne and my left shoulder is still thanking me for it. I would have been easy meat.

Fricking chain came off again last night, I cannot understand how as tension is good and i re-tensioned yesterday. I'm wondering if my MTFU style :lol: has worn the rear sprockets already...

Perhaps your chain has stretched, mine did, I noticed when it jumped off going down hill in the dark, I ended up taking a whole link out.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    mmm shouldn't bem chain is only a moth old or so and it's a KMC, shouldn't be stretched yet, plus the tension is good. It happens when I'm sprinting though, something v odd is going on. My lovely white bar tape is now black with chain grease, grrrrr.
  • mmm shouldn't bem chain is only a moth old or so and it's a KMC, shouldn't be stretched yet, plus the tension is good. It happens when I'm sprinting though, something v odd is going on. My lovely white bar tape is now black with chain grease, grrrrr.

Loose cranks? Loose sprocket?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dodgy chainline?
    <a>road</a>
  • Jen J
    Have you switched it off and on again?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    mmm shouldn't bem chain is only a moth old or so and it's a KMC, shouldn't be stretched yet, plus the tension is good. It happens when I'm sprinting though, something v odd is going on. My lovely white bar tape is now black with chain grease, grrrrr.

I seem to recall you having the same coloured KMC chain as me, is that right?

Washing up liquid on a warm sponge will get the grease off your tarty white bar tape.
  • Jen J wrote:
    Have you switched it off and on again?
    Control-Alt-Delete usually does it for me. ;)
  • il_principe
    Chainline is all good. I'll check the rear sprocket, actually does anyone have a ss freewheel removal tool i could borrow at friday drinks one week?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Chainline is all good. I'll check the rear sprocket, actually does anyone have a ss freewheel removal tool i could borrow at friday drinks one week?

Jaysus H Christ, first a load of sweaty grown men (and a few ladies) turn up at a pub that is normally frequented by city types in suits, all dressed in tight lycra. Haven't you ever wondered why the bar is so empty when we want drinks!

Now you want to turn it into a repair shop, they'll hang us ya know!! :wink:

Also in answer to the question I don't have a removal tool but that does remind me.......anyone here suggest a good starter toolkit for maintaining a bike?
    I've already got a few basic tools (spanners, allen keys, screwdrivers etc) along with a few bikey tools (pedal spanner, crank puller, BB tool and various brushes).
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Chainline is all good. I'll check the rear sprocket, actually does anyone have a ss freewheel removal tool i could borrow at friday drinks one week?

MTFU. Use a hammer.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD

*Wilier Guarantee.

Not a good thing for someone who plows into innocent children :-)

When I scalp you, will you promise to stop?
    Food Chain number = 4