Silly commuting racing

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    On another note - this morning i received a salient lesson in the importance of maintaining good chain tension, put on a little spurt to get in front of a bus on Lambeth bridge only for my chain to jump off the rear and then front ring, no damage done thank God, but I'll be tightening the tension before setting off this evening.

How do you do this?

Assuming this is the Pearson rather than the Prince (I think) you set the back wheel further back in the drop outs; presumably there are some screws in the drop outs that you can tighten to shorten their depth.

Yep the Pearson. Derailleured bikes have springs to take care of tension. It's something you have to be careful with on SS especially when riding fixed!

Edit - clearly getting chain length right in the first place helps!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Kermitbike.jpg

Oiii, Kermit you Muppet, check ya chain tension

Oh Dear Oh Dear.......
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Greg T wrote:

Kermitbike.jpg

Oiii, Kermit you Muppet, check ya chain tension

Oh Dear Oh Dear.......

You must have had to trawl back through a few dozen pages to find that one :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Oops. TBH I noticed it was slack last week but was far too lazy to do anything about it.
  • Oops. TBH I noticed it was slack last week but was far too lazy to do anything about it.

I need to take a link out of my new (ish) half link - the hub is too far back in the dropouts right now, but it works and I am lazy... :shock:

I used to lose my chain every time I rode the old commuter, and i have to say that chain tugs are a wonderful invention, especially as that particular bike had back-pedal brakes only... I wore through a lot of shoes... :shock:

Furthermore, doesn't the weather look just lovely for the ride home? :roll:
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521

That's why I'm off to the pub after work!!! :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    [puts hand in the air]Ohh, ohh, I know the anser to that one![/puts hand in the air]
    It's miserable up here too, been tipping it down on and off all day, the sun keeps coming out to pretend that it's nice but then it starts raining again. :(
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Absolutely tipping it down here.

So I brought the car.

And will doubtless now go sit in lots of traffic and saying "grrr" all the way home :?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • 6th floor of a building in Kensington, looking west. Wind relatively strong, westerly, rather dark due to big black clouds, heavy rain which is making a noise on the window, visibility rubbish.

:cry:
  • snooks
    linsen wrote:
    And will doubtless now go sit in lots of traffic and saying "grrr" all the way home :?

Could be on yer bike going Brrrr on the way home :wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    On the choob* today after having to pick up a mystery parcel.. which turned out to be energy saving lightbulbs from british gas. Was annoyed at missing the ride in this morning but a bit more sanguine now :)

* thanks L_i_t
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snooks
    6th floor of a building in Kensington, looking west. Wind relatively strong, westerly, rather dark due to big black clouds, heavy rain which is making a noise on the window, visibility rubbish.

:cry:

If I could see the unilever building I'd be able to tell you the wind direction at this end of town, problem is I'm not sure it's still there :shock:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    snooks wrote:
    If I could see the unilever building I'd be able to tell you the wind direction at this end of town, problem is I'm not sure it's still there :shock:

Half of my colleauges used to work there...until we bought them...mwahahahahaha...

Am I allowed to get the bus home and leave my bike at work, using a trip to Sainsburys on the way home as an excuse?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    Jen J wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Half of my colleauges used to work there...until we bought them...mwahahahahaha...

Am I allowed to get the bus home and leave my bike at work, using a trip to Sainsburys on the way home as an excuse?

Yes you are, if only because I drove today :oops:
  • Jen J wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Negative...

That would be in direct contravention of SCR protocol 297: MTFU.

Request denied.
  • il_principe
    linsen wrote:

So I brought the car.

FFS Linsen - WTFU!

I'm feeling smug 'cos my waterproof overshoes and jacket have been sitting unused in the office for 2 weeks, I'll pop 'em on tonight then.
  • linsen
    linsen wrote:

So I brought the car.

FFS Linsen - WTFU!

I would but I have nowhere to put a wet bike at work. And my legs needed a rest after 95 miles last week....
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684

Doesn't it just? Arriving home last night at 11pm after a long post-race rail journey, I was too lazy to swap my lights off my 'cross bike on to my commuter so rode the 'cross bike for work today (don't finish until 6:20 so lights are a must this time of year). Now guess who's got to ride home without any mudguards - I didn't think that one through, did I? :(

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Jen J wrote:

Negative...

That would be in direct contravention of SCR protocol 297: MTFU.

Request denied.

:cry::cry:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:

So I brought the car.

FFS Linsen - WTFU!

I'm feeling smug 'cos my waterproof overshoes and jacket have been sitting unused in the office for 2 weeks, I'll pop 'em on tonight then.

Hopefully that's not ALL you'll be wearing :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Hammering down but the wind was behind me all to way - new shiny mudguards worked a treat :D
  • itboffin
    Hammering down but the wind was behind me all to way - new shiny mudguards worked a treat :D

That's a lie and you know it, there's no such thing as a tail wind... Urban myth!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    True - but believing it made me feel better :D
  • itboffin wrote:

That's a lie and you know it, there's no such thing as a tail wind... Urban myth!

Hoorah - I've never had a tail wind either and was beginning to think that it was something personal between me and mother nature... :)
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • linsen
    itboffin wrote:

Hoorah - I've never had a tail wind either and was beginning to think that it was something personal between me and mother nature... :)

I certainly never realise it at the time, but only appreciate it when I reverse my journey at the end of that day

One day a couple of weeks ago my time to work was 5 mins quicker and my time home 5 mins slower that usual!
  • I had a tailwind today BUT it was peeing with rain, and downhill on a crap road full of potholes with steamed-up rain-splatted glasses meant I couldn't take full advantage of it :roll:
    FCN 10
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    On my charity ride to Paris we had a 15-20mph tailwind from Dieppe to Paris :shock:
  • itboffin
    True - but believing it made me feel better :D

okay okay I sort of believe you, but check this - this weekend during my last 10 miles of my torture ride I call training I was 50ft from the summit (tiz the right word trust me) and the wind switched and started blowing from behind - now i've heard talk from the elders of this mythical tail wind but always believed it to be BS, could it have been?

Would it make any difference on a 25% hill :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did my wife lie to me when she told me stories of the beautiful West Country but no mention of the f**King bastard hills everywhere you look and the SOB windy every single day - I digress....

In short you might be telling the truth, in future please make sure you have a handy witness or electronic SCR approved device to hand before making wild claims about your sexual prowess - oh! wait wrong forum.

Carry on good show old bean. :oops:
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    On my charity ride to Paris we had a 15-20mph tailwind from Dieppe to Paris :shock:

We get it you do a lot of fab work for charity - nice smashing great :lol:
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    I've heard of this tailwind phenomena. I didn't think it applied to me, not having a tail and all.