Silly commuting racing

Comments

• The day after the mass participation cycling event Pedal for Scotland, the Edinburgh Evening News showed a small photo of a local edjit radio DJ and maybe two lines of text about the event. The paper also included a two page spread of accident hot spots with little dots over the city centre map of edinburgh marking out fatalities (red dots), major accidents (Amber spots) and minor accidents (green spots) involving cyclist for the past ten years and a couple of cheery stories about major accidents. Wasnt the colour coding a nice touch.

The timing of this article after an enjoyable event was p!ish poor if you ask me and another example of the very poor attitude of the press with regard to cycling.

To be honest with this and the two threads we have about the events happening in London, I think I may consider retiring from the game. You really need to keep you wits about you.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good stuff. What about Clever Pun and Coriander? You in guys?

Beseku/Greg66 - yep, they were diverting traffic up onto Queen Victoria St from Embankment just before Blackfriars tunnel.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12586757

Cyclist vs Lorry accident east of Blackfriars tunnel.

Just saw the post, it doesn't sound good.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    To be honest with this and the two threads we have about the events happening in London, I think I may consider retiring from the game. You really need to keep you wits about you.

There are stretches of road where you can't look for scalps. This is one of them. I usually turn off Embankment at the north side of Southwark Bridge. For those who don't know it, there are often site lorries going through that tunnel, and you should see the manhole cover dips/potholes in the road just before the lights by the bridge. They are inches deep - I mean seriously fcuking dangerous, and they are right in the middle of the road. Go left, and you've got freshly painted red lines (very slippery in the wet - I've gone into the back of a lorry avoiding the pothole and skidding). Go right, you're in the middle of the road. Ain't good.

It's possible that the accident was further up, but I think I may change my route so I don't go in that tunnel, partcularly since winter's coming and that road ain't going to get any better.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:

There are stretches of road where you can't look for scalps.

This this true.

The first rule of the game is don't get yourself knocked off - it's only a game.

Upper thames St going west from the bottom of Tower Hill through to the other side of the Blackfriars underpass is an absolute pig of a road - I should know I do it everyday.

The road surface running into Soutwarh bridge junction is as CJCP says God awful, broken up, big deep angry holes, gravel - really grim. Currently road works squeeze the traffic into one lane at the S. bridge junction - even grimmer. If you get through that you have the Blackfriars underpass / race track which isn't that wide for the two lanes of traffic each way.

I hate that stretch of road.

Going east is not much better - the road surface is in better condition but there are plenty of potholes / raised manholes to remember and lots of left turning opportunities....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:

Beseku/Greg66 - yep, they were diverting traffic up onto Queen Victoria St from Embankment just before Blackfriars tunnel.

Yeah I'm good... cheers. That whole thing sounds nasty

not cycling at all today off to see Pelican & Torche tonight with beers

this week I've only cycled on tuesday and will be on the bike tomorrow.. poor showing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    dafruk wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    And for you patronising northerners who think London is flat, it's 3k long with 110 metres of climbing. OK not exactly Ben Nevis but a still none to shabby practice stretch I reckon.

To my very quick and lazy maths does that come out at about a 3.5% gradient. Or as it's called in Ediburgh, the flat! :wink: Ooh feel the burn...

Turns out the climb is over nearer 2k so what does that make the gradient? And that's about the best we get although a mate at work has mentioned Highgate West Hill which is about 1k and 80-90 meteres climb.

Does anyone know, does cycling standing up for long distances help training for hill climbs. I know I know I'm cluthing at straws now but it's about the only options I've got.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    cjcp wrote:

I'm fine, thanks guys. I come over Westminster Bridge.

Not again - that's horrendous. All thoughts to his family.

Why have both these accidents happened on bridges? Westminster Bridge is relatively simple because it has roundabouts at both ends, but these others sound much more complicated.
    cjcp wrote:
    You should see the manhole cover dips/potholes in the road just before the lights by the bridge. They are inches deep - I mean seriously fcuking dangerous, and they are right in the middle of the road. Go left, and you've got freshly painted red lines (very slippery in the wet - I've gone into the back of a lorry avoiding the pothole and skidding).

Absolutely - the roads down from the roundabout south of Westminster Bridge all the way down to the bottom of hte Old Kent Road are horrendous, as CJ says, potholes literally inches deep. It often seems as if you have a choice of coming off the bike as you go through the pothole or under a car as you swerve to avoid them.

I'm absolutely dreading the winter, at least in daylight you can see the road surface and have a wee bit of warning, but at night it feels like a death trap.
  • Littigator
    They open up so quickly as well. ONe week what is just a small 1cm deep gash in the road can have development into a pot hole 3 inches deep by the week following.

I'm thinking of one particular example along the dreaded Upper Thames Street, the incident today has proven once again how lethal that part of town is.

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    edited September 2008
    Littigator wrote:
    dafruk wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    And for you patronising northerners who think London is flat, it's 3k long with 110 metres of climbing. OK not exactly Ben Nevis but a still none to shabby practice stretch I reckon.

To my very quick and lazy maths does that come out at about a 3.5% gradient. Or as it's called in Ediburgh, the flat! :wink: Ooh feel the burn...

Turns out the climb is over nearer 2k so what does that make the gradient? And that's about the best we get although a mate at work has mentioned Highgate West Hill which is about 1k and 80-90 meteres climb.

Does anyone know, does cycling standing up for long distances help training for hill climbs. I know I know I'm cluthing at straws now but it's about the only options I've got.

Being a bit bored I just did a quick google on working out gradients, and knocked up a rough n ready calculator in excel - yes I know I need to get out more.......
    Anyhow it had the original run pegged at about 3.6% but dropping the distance to 2K makes it a 5.5% or what we in the south call a mountain :-)
    West Hill comes out at 9% based on a 90m rise over the 1K.

Gonna check some of the hills in my neck of the woods now.......

As for the standing up over long distances to improve hill climbing I can't say if that would help, but as I've read a few times before the best way to practice hill climbing is to climb hills!

EDIT: Litt, check out http://www.bikehike.co.uk - has good route mapping feature with gradient graph that updates live as you plot route and can even let you check what point of the route plotted corresponds to a certain gradient point!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I suppose that is the benefit of a regular route, you learn to know where the canyons are...

On a lighjter note, a virtual 'high five' to dafruk and his Edinburgh flats comment!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • Greg T
    Littigator wrote:
    They open up so quickly as well. ONe week what is just a small 1cm deep gash in the road can have development into a pot hole 3 inches deep by the week following.

I'm thinking of one particular example along the dreaded Upper Thames Street, the incident today has proven once again how lethal that part of town is.

Also on Putney side of the Col De Putney Bridge the recent monsoons seem to have washed away a chunk of tarmac from which a load of pea gravel has escaped..

Just after the weird mid descent lights just before the right turn and sprint up to Putney Green and the Alpe d'Bolan Death Tree.

It nearly had me off when it was fresh a couple of weeks ago.

• Littigator
    I suppose that is the benefit of a regular route, you learn to know where the canyons are...

On a lighjter note, a virtual 'high five' to dafruk and his Edinburgh flats comment!

sasafrssasngrassannasesfgranasassss (a la Mutley)

Bloody Northerners, just because we live dan Sarf doesn't mean we don't know what a frickin hill is ALRIGHT!!! puff puff pant wheeze

And any CLIMBS I will be doing are on a 82 GI fixie I might add, so you can shove yer gears up yer rear mech matey!

• cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    dafruk wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

It's another form of specific training, so it'll make you climb faster when you're out of the saddle. Whether you will climb faster overall is another question. Time yourself seated and out of the saddle, and over reps. This will give you the answer. I climb faster in the saddle.

And if you want hill climb training, get yourself down to Richmond Park and do reps of the steep hill, alternatively, Nightingale Lane just down from Richmond Gate. The latter is short, but it's around 18%.

You planning on doing Catford? I'm very tempted, but have not yet raised it with the boss.

Good to see all in. Take care going home tonight, chaps.

GregT - the south side of Putney Bridge looks as if the whole area has come under heavy fire from an Apache gunship. It's a disgrace.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    When's Catford again?

As for your hill climb champs I don't think I can make those as they're the same day as the last Chertsey race

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    200 pages, you guys! High fives all round.
  • Good work tackling those hills on a fixie Litt :-) Think I'll have to head over the Sheldon's GI calc and check what gear is closest to that in my selection and have a bash at some in my area!

After a quick look with Bikehike I've found a few sections of 10% in my area (assuming the grad calc graph is in %) including a couple of short climbs on my normal commute :-)

I also realized you can click n drag to select sections on the gradient graph and it highlights the relevant section on the route rather then just points! Truly an excellent feature :-)
    It also accepts routes in from a .gpx file which is what bikely can export as, so you can have a look over any routes you have already created on there in bikehike with it's extra features!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator wrote:
    I suppose that is the benefit of a regular route, you learn to know where the canyons are...

Bloody Northerners, just because we live dan Sarf doesn't mean we don't know what a frickin hill is ALRIGHT!!! puff puff pant wheeze

And any CLIMBS I will be doing are on a 82 GI fixie I might add, so you can shove yer gears up yer rear mech matey!

If i could link or paste an image there would be one of a handbag right here!! So touchy, so easy to wind up! :wink:

PS - I have been in London, I am amare there are some hills and I dont doubt for a minute your ability and your gear ratio!

insert another handbag image here.

dafruk - high fives again - it's too easy! :D
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • While your at it, you couldnt calculate the %age of Arthur Seat in the link Dafruk provided, or better still tell me how to do it (Not a maths person) so I can calculate my docks to top of volcano ride myself... :lol:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    When's Catford again?

As for your hill climb champs I don't think I can make those as they're the same day as the last Chertsey race

12 Oct.

No probs. I thought the last Chertsey race was this Saturday? Hmm. Maybe not. I'll check the BCF website.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    you should see the manhole cover dips/potholes in the road just before the lights by the bridge. They are inches deep - I mean seriously fcuking dangerous, and they are right in the middle of the road.

This is why one should *never* ride through a puddle in traffic. You just don't know what the surface of the road that's underwater will be like.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    This is why one should *never* ride through a puddle in traffic. You just don't know what the surface of the road that's underwater will be like.

What he said.

I never ride through puddles as you just don't know what's underneath.

When it's dark just cycle slowly and shine with the light of a thousand suns. God bless the LED.

• While your at it, you couldnt calculate the %age of Arthur Seat in the link Dafruk provided, or better still tell me how to do it (Not a maths person) so I can calculate my docks to top of volcano ride myself... :lol:

I'd suggest Bikehike (my new favourite bike route calculator!)

Just managed to find that link (11 pages back!!!) and loaded it in, a small section of if was peaking above 25!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Thats what im talking about!!!

Cheers, I'll try Bikehike.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • Littigator
    Littigator wrote:

If i could link or paste an image there would be one of a handbag right here!! So touchy, so easy to wind up! :wink:

PS - I have been in London, I am amare there are some hills and I dont doubt for a minute your ability and your gear ratio!

insert another handbag image here.

dafruk - high fives again - it's too easy! :D

After a three hour ride round Surrey Hills on Friday pm, two plus 20% climbs and the whole ride never being level, I would truly love more access to hills and then I have to contend with you guys being meanies to me...its...all...(sob)...just too much! :cry:

(sniffle...PAAAAAARRRRRRP! sniff sniff) ah that's a bit better

• Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    you should see the manhole cover dips/potholes in the road just before the lights by the bridge. They are inches deep - I mean seriously fcuking dangerous, and they are right in the middle of the road.

Only off I've had all year was due to exactly that situation, puddle deeper than I expected. learnt lesson hard way etc etc 8)
    <a>road</a>
  • Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Only off I've had all year was due to exactly that situation, puddle deeper than I expected. learnt lesson hard way etc etc 8)

I just avoid puddles! Having said that as I cover mostly the same routes I find the rain actually helps highlight bad holes by creating puddles, so I now what to avoid when it's dry!
    Sometimes it's nigh on impossible and in that case it's just a matter of shifting my weight and trying in vain to hop over! Something that's not quite as easy on my road bike but still a good skill to practice!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Hi all,

I've been following the thread for a while and thought I'd introduce myself as a fellow player of the game in London, sorry non-player as I'm not racing :wink:. I ride a Boardman Road Comp on 23mm tyres, with SKS mudguard things, wear a helmet and baggies and carry a rucksack which I think puts me at FCN 5. I'm toying with going SS for the winter though to give me a bit more competition!

My route takes me over Wandsworth bridge, right to Sainsburys then, through to Lotts Road and joining the Embankment Peleton to Lambeth Bridge, south over the bridge, around the back of Waterloo, along The Cut, over Southwark Bridge and then dodge the gormless pedestrians up to Liverpool St. About 8.5 to 9 miles in total.

I've been out of the game for a while as I'm inbetween houses, however I've played when I can, most recently coming in from Hammersmith. Going past Holland park is a PITA, especially on the way home as you just get up to speed on the hill and then get stuck in traffic. Still, its nice to zip past all of the sit-up-and-beg hybrid things.

So far I've kept my scalp intact, though a hybrid with aerobars gave me a good run up the Mall yesterday but can only claim one victory and an exceptionally hollow one at that. Last night as I was getting my bike a guy in full club lycra on a nice looking road bike was waiting at the lights. "Shame I won't catch him for a little dual" I thought. Imagine my suprise when I went past him 5 minutes later down London Wall. He was cruising at about 10mph, so like I said, a hollow victory, in fact not even something that can be classed as one at all :(

I read up to page 100 and then got bored. Did you guys ever decide on a subtle marking for (non)players to identify themselves? If not then I'm sure I'll find out who's playing on the Embankment the hard way :lol:

Keep it rubber side down

Rob
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Littigator
    Welcome Noob

I reckon you should be docked 2FCN for failing to read the whole thread, but then that's just me in a bad mood cos the Northerners keep picking on me today.

Anyways, welcome, but am I right in reading your route, you skip South of the river at Lambeth Bridge then back north over the River at Southwark Bridge thereby avoiding the key Embankment stretch???

:?

• Greg T
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    My route takes me over Wandsworth bridge, right to Sainsburys then, through to Lotts Road and joining the Embankment peloton to Lambeth Bridge, south over the bridge, around the back of Waterloo, along The Cut, over Southwark Bridge and then dodge the gormless pedestrians up to Liverpool St. About 8.5 to 9 miles in total.

I have no idea what that means but seems to be cycling brownian motion.....

Welcome Rob.

There's a whole SS thread as the roadies rebelled against the singlies and a ghetto was formed with the tatoos and piercings on one side and the hair products and waxing strips on the other.

EDITED to add

3,000th reply - I ROCK