Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I was musing the other day about the true nature of a scalp. Reading through the thread got me thinking, is blasting by some unsuspecting player and giving them no chance to respond a true scalp? Or is the real scalp more akin to cruising past them to let them know you're there and then upping the ante to the point that they give up, crying with sorrow as you cruise into the distance?

The second gives your scalpee the change to respond and think they have a sniff of victory, so making your eventual win all the sweeter. I can see the merits of the shock-and-awe tactic but as our American friends have proved, its not a lasting triumph and simply leaves you wanting more. For the less crass (or easily impressed) of us I favour the latter as a finer scalp. Thoughts?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • SiH, what time you heading off? If your heading towards Streatham through Brixton our path's might cross :-) I'm off in 5 and should be over Vauxhall Bridge by about 17:45!

I left at half five. Our paths could well have crossed along the Embankment but I don't head sarth until Chelsea Bridge.

However, due to the relatively early departure, nothing of particular note apart from a pesky drafter between Vauxhall and Chelsea bridges though I managed to shake him off....no mean feat with my cargo (that includes my personal baggage)!
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Think I would have missed you then, as I use Vauxhall Bridge I don't ride along the Embankment!
    I'd be interested to see what route you use tho as I think your fairly local to me, maybe after drinks tomorrow - depending on when you leave that is!

Had some fun crossing the bridge tho! Had a cheeky lil bugger on a Langster RLJ and get some ground on me so I set off chasing him. Just as I'm coming up alongside him the old guy who I foolishly discounted earlier on the Pearson roadie came flying past! Now I was already doing about 23 at this point so I wasn't by any means going slow so it was GAME ON :twisted:

As has been said many times before these older gents are quite the riders and this guy was doing well, in my sprint to get him I managed to ride right into one of those pesky metal gully's on VB, I hit it fairly hard and it was the section that runs parallel to the kerb so my wheel went right in! No damage done thankfully but it was a nasty jar!
    My some odd twist of fate the light's on the south side where green and I bombed on through, old roadie was 2 lanes to my left as he was heading towards E&C. We had now drawn level but our path's split!

Not much to speak of through Brixton, kept getting pestered by some face mask wearing, RLJing hybrid rider. He was with me for most of the stretch from Brixton to Streatham. Binned him proper on the run down to the station but the light's changed so I lost all my lovely speed that I normally carry over the small hump. He was back behind me then but I managed to filter better then him so didn't see him again!

As I turned onto my last decent stretch of road I spotted a bike up ahead with the familiar outline of a roadie. It seem's it was my lucky day! As I slipped past I spotted he was on a older Look model - suggesting an experienced rider! The sun was low behind us and casting long shadows ahead, it was just after I stopped soaking up the lovely atmosphere that I spotted another shadow next to mine!! The lil sod had hopped on my wheel :twisted:

Now I have to say having someone behind you, who I could not only see because of the shadow but hear with his annoyingly loud freewheel seemed to be much worse then chasing someone ahead! Anyhow I wasn't gonna let up so I kept up a respectable pace down the road with the constant "CLICK CLICK CLICK" of his freewheel in my ear. As we approached the crossroads the lights where red. I eased off and got a small breather, but as we got to the line they changed again and he right of the car following the bus and I stupidly stayed left. He flew past on the outside without so much as a thank you for the tow I'd just given him for the last 3/4 mile or so!! Thinking this rather cheeky I then set about making damn sure he wasn't gonna be ahead of me before we parted. Caught him and the next lights and left him as we pulled off and didn't see him again after that so I assume he turned off down a side road.

With just the busy high street to contend with I took it easy for the last 1/2 mile. Spotted a fully lycra'd roadie on the opposite side of the roundabout before my house. He was heading my way but I was already turned into my street before he was close.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I was musing the other day about the true nature of a scalp. Reading through the thread got me thinking, is blasting by some unsuspecting player and giving them no chance to respond a true scalp? Or is the real scalp more akin to cruising past them to let them know you're there and then upping the ante to the point that they give up, crying with sorrow as you cruise into the distance?

The second gives your scalpee the change to respond and think they have a sniff of victory, so making your eventual win all the sweeter. I can see the merits of the shock-and-awe tactic but as our American friends have proved, its not a lasting triumph and simply leaves you wanting more. For the less crass (or easily impressed) of us I favour the latter as a finer scalp. Thoughts?

You blaze by. :twisted: They should have been more alert and not aloow themselves to be passed in the first place, something I've been guilty of. The onus is on them to show their mettle by trying to catch you. If they do, game on. If not, ta-ra, sunshine.

(The trouble with slowing down is that you risk being drafted, which means they use less power. They may not also be Gamers, but a mere drafting fairy, so there's no Gaming to be had.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hey guys,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do any of you local to SW London have a bike carrier for a car that I could borrow from Friday 26th - Sunday 28th September? I am thinking one of those ones that fits on to the back of your boot and takes 2 bikes - I've never used one so simple is good!

I'm not sure what I could do in return but open to all reasonable suggestions!

Thanks,
    Mark
  • biondino
    (me and the gf have borrowed my uncle's cottage in Sussex and while I would happily ride down there - Burwash, 10 miles or so north of Hastings) - I don't think she's up for it, having not been on a bike in over 2 years. But she is up for taking bikes down there and the country would be a good place to ease her back into riding)
  • biondino
    Also, much to my sadness I told Wayne I wouldn't be buying his bike. I just didn't feel the fit was right, even with the adjustments he suggested, and for that amount of cash I'd want to feel 100% comfy. So I might have to build my own after all...
  • Quick update on this morning's action. Had a nice race with a guy on a Condor. He pulled up alongside me at Stockwell Tube. I got off ahead of him and took another couple of roadies (including one on a new SCR 3.0!) before I turned off down Wyvil Road.

Assuming he'd gone the other way round Vauxhall Cross I didn't expect to see him again until he pulled up at the same lights as me! He was making good ground pulling away from the light's but I was matching him. Hit 27mph before I was on the drops and backing off a bit to follow the lane round over the bridge. Up the "rise" I was still ahead and then he slipped back past just after the crest.

We then both had to take evasive action's as the numpty's in their tin boxes just put those pesky orange blinky lights on and pull over left with no consideration for us on 2 wheels!
    Thankfully he was going down Embankment as he was getting boxed in fairly bad by one car. I dropped back and went round a Zafira to head straight up the road. I'd declare this one as a draw as I think I clearly had him on the first encounter but he did get me on the second!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • 4 Observations from last nights pootle to Hampton Wick:

1: It is so hard to let people overtake you when you're not playing. (I cracked after 2 and arrived at the shop drenched in sweat)
    2: How the Hell do you race on Embankment? Once you pass Albert Bridge heading west at 6:15 or so the traffic is appalling.
    3. People that live in Chelsea commute on ridiculous bikes, I saw 2 brand new Madones and an S-Works Tarmac, both commutered up.
    4. I love Richmond park in the evenings.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Hey guys,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do any of you local to SW London have a bike carrier for a car that I could borrow from Friday 26th - Sunday 28th September? I am thinking one of those ones that fits on to the back of your boot and takes 2 bikes - I've never used one so simple is good!

I'm not sure what I could do in return but open to all reasonable suggestions!

Thanks,
    Mark

I do. It's a Saris Bones, fits on the boot and carries three bikes. Strictly speaking, you will need a number plate.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    2: How the Hell do you race on Embankment? Once you pass Albert Bridge heading west at 6:15 or so the traffic is appalling.

It's got much worse recently, pretty much since schools started back. I was going to comment on this yesterday. I was thinking this morning how lovely it would be if:

1. goods vehicles were restricted to deliveries between the hours of 8pm and 6am;
    2. areas of the City were restricted to taxis, couriers, public transport, bicycles and emergency vehicles;
    3. people who do commute by car may do for a maximum of three days a week; and
    4. the FSA banned bankers/spivs from driving their cars completely in addition to banning short-selling;

It's great, isn't it? It's one of the reasons I don't go during the day. You can bumble around and really switch off.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2008
    cjcp wrote:

It's got much worse recently, pretty much since schools started back. I was going to comment on this yesterday. I was thinking this morning how lovely it would be if:

1. goods vehicles were restricted to deliveries between the hours of 8pm and 6am;
    2. areas of the City were restricted to taxis, couriers, public transport, bicycles and emergency vehicles;
    4. the FSA banned bankers/spivs from driving their cars completely in addition to banning short-selling;

Now then. Is the real issue the cars? I think not, on that stretch at least. The traffic flows pretty well until you get close to Albert Bridge. Why? Because of the junction there. Anyone who turns onto the bridge has to slow to a halt to negotiate the width barriers on the bridge = queue behind. More than three cars turning right and the right lane grinds to a halt. Then cars that want to go straight on and which are in the r/hand lane try to cut into the left, bringing the (already slow) left to a halt. Again.

Thing would move a lot more smoothly if there was no left turn onto the Bridge.

The tailback from that junction spreads back to the previous set of lights and beyond pretty quickly. Were it not for that stretch, I'd be happy to stay on the Embankment to Lots Road and then cut off through Chelsea Harbour. As it is, I usually cut off at Chelsea Bridge and ride along the south side of Battersea Park, where you can really fly all the way.

It's great, isn't it? It's one of the reasons I don't go during the day. You can bumble around and really switch off.

Cluck me, CJ, you really screwed the pooch on the quotes, didn't you? Took me a while to unravel that.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    This morning was quite quiet. Towed a chap in club kit along Embankment for a bit, but that was it. (Towed him a couple of weeks ago going westbound when there was a headwind then too :roll: ).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Now then. Is the real issue the cars? I think not, on that stretch at least. The traffic flows pretty well until you get close to Albert Bridge. Why? Because of the junction there. Anyone who turns onto the bridge has to slow to a halt to negotiate the width barriers on the bridge = queue behind. More than three cars turning right and the right lane grinds to a halt. Then cars that want to go straight on and which are in the r/hand lane try to cut into the left, bringing the (already slow) left to a halt. Again.

The tailback from that junction spreads back to the previous set of lights and beyond pretty quickly. Were it not for that stretch, I'd be happy to stay on the Embankment to Lots Road and then cut off through Chelsea Harbour. As it is, I usually cut off at Chelsea Bridge and ride along the south side of Battersea Park, where you can really fly all the way.

Cluck me, CJ, you really screwed the pooch on the quotes, didn't you? Took me a while to unravel that.

I haven't a fecking clue how to do that quote/unquote malarky. Thinking about it, there's not a great deal I can actually do on this forum. Might have another go.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Very quiet this morning for me too. Collected a comely female one a scruffy red cannondale (so obviously her second bike) with red bar tape under Waterloo Br. Most agreeable legs. I took the liberty of letting her pull away first so I could study the muscle and tendon definition.

Then I skinned her alive in a heartbeat :twisted:

There has to be some upside to a quiet morning...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yep, the town planners have a lot to answer for. But volume is an issue in any event, because the traffic that couldn't turn left at Albert Bridge would still have to cross the river at some point.

Cluck me, CJ, you really screwed the pooch on the quotes, didn't you? [
    /quote]

Yes. Royally. (I've done it again, haven't I? Oh fudge it! I'm going home.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'd echo Jash's comments about riding in the evenings, I'm not sure what it is about it but I just love riding - or even being outside - during that time of the evening where the sun seems to illuminate everything orange.
    I've been out for a couple of evening rides when it's been like that and I really do feel like I could just keep going forever!

Whilst I'm here, how many are attending the drink's this evening? I'll be down there for a short while and with my bike for a change! Usual place, Morpeth Arms pretty much whenever you can get there!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Argghhhhhh - Sigma just rang - my Prince has a bit of a tricky problem; thanks to the smash the rear derailleur hanger is slightly bent. It's an early model frame so the hanger is not replaceable (my one gripe with the bike) so they are going to try and bend it back into alignment, thank god those blokes know what they're doing but my heart's in my mouth at the moment as there's a risk the whole thing could snap, in that case it's goodbye frame and no warranty cover. :shock:

Cross your fingers for me folks! :(
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Very quiet this morning for me too. Collected a comely female one a scruffy red cannondale (so obviously her second bike) with red bar tape under Waterloo Br. Most agreeable legs. I took the liberty of letting her pull away first so I could study the muscle and tendon definition.

The sun was out too so all's good.

Merlin's beard! I (almost) got it right! Excellent. I won't go home just yet.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Argghhhhhh - Sigma just rang - my Prince has a bit of a tricky problem; thanks to the smash the rear derailleur hanger is slightly bent. It's an early model frame so the hanger is not replaceable (my one gripe with the bike) so they are going to try and bend it back into alignment, thank god those blokes know what they're doing but my heart's in my mouth at the moment as there's a risk the whole thing could snap, in that case it's goodbye frame and no warranty cover. :shock:

Fingers crossed indeed.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Argghhhhhh - Sigma just rang - my Prince has a bit of a tricky problem; thanks to the smash the rear derailleur hanger is slightly bent. It's an early model frame so the hanger is not replaceable (my one gripe with the bike) so they are going to try and bend it back into alignment, thank god those blokes know what they're doing but my heart's in my mouth at the moment as there's a risk the whole thing could snap, in that case it's goodbye frame and no warranty cover. :shock:

Relax. They'll bend it back OK. They're just priming you in case you're the one case in 200 where they try that and it all goes to sh!t. You won't be though.

Probably. :shock:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Very quiet this morning for me too. Collected a comely female one a scruffy red cannondale (so obviously her second bike) with red bar tape under Waterloo Br. Most agreeable legs. I took the liberty of letting her pull away first so I could study the muscle and tendon definition.

I know the feeling, I pulled up behind a motorbike as I was crossing Victoria Road today. Riding pinion was a lurvly lady, 4" heels and great legs :-) Sometimes riding a motorbike, despite the full leather gimp suit, has it's perks!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Speaking of frames.....

On the way home last night I came along (OK then let's not mince words here - I ragged stupid) a guy on my dream bike.

Vintage Colnago track frame.

Singlie

Shiny Phil Woods esque hubs

Shiny rims (gnurk)

Obscure weird brakes.

Brooks brown saddle

Elegant seat post

Just gorgeous. I paid him the necessary compliments as I went by.

Chateau!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino
    Good luck Jash, we're all thinking about you. The Prince is in our hearts.

I won't be able to come tonight - leaving drinks for a guy who started here 2 weeks before I did in the summer of 2003. Have a blast!

CJ, thank you - would I be able to pick it up off you over the weekend or one night next week?* The whole number plate thing - is it worth bodging up something from a bit of cardboard - I know it'd be illegal still but at least it shows an effort to obey the rules!

*this is assuming you're happy to lend it to me, not just declaring you own one of course :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well if you can't fix the derailleur you know what to do... single speed :)

I'm still on my way to the office after yet another quiet opening stage! I hope waterloo to soho will be more interesting.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    Single speed Pinarello Prince. You'd be unique, that's for sure.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Good luck Jash, we're all thinking about you. The Prince is in our hearts.

I won't be able to come tonight - leaving drinks for a guy who started here 2 weeks before I did in the summer of 2003. Have a blast!

CJ, thank you - would I be able to pick it up off you over the weekend or one night next week?* The whole number plate thing - is it worth bodging up something from a bit of cardboard - I know it'd be illegal still but at least it shows an effort to obey the rules!

*this is assuming you're happy to lend it to me, not just declaring you own one of course :)

:) No problem at all. When this weekend? Saturday evening's probably best for me as I'm babysitting so will definitely be in. Not sure what my plans are during the day yet. Alternatively, one night next week is fine.

Yeah, I'd just bodge the cardboard (says the man who doens't use anything at all :oops: ).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    I could do quite early Saturday evening, kind of 6, 6.30ish if that would work? Are you Kingston or Twickenham, my memory's terrible (or more likely somewhere else altogether)?

I doubt there's anything I have that you'd want to borrow in return but try me - even books or CDs or stuff like that (I have CDRs with thousands of mp3s on them i that'd be of any interest, say).

Cheers!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Ooooh, it's getting just like the Ambridge swap club. How exciting.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    I could do quite early Saturday evening, kind of 6, 6.30ish if that would work? Are you Kingston or Twickenham, my memory's terrible (or more likely somewhere else altogether)?

I doubt there's anything I have that you'd want to borrow in return but try me - even books or CDs or stuff like that (I have CDRs with thousands of mp3s on them i that'd be of any interest, say).

Cheers!

Strictly speaking, both: my land reaches into both. But knock on the Kingston entrance and you will be ushered through by one of my servants.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, Kingston. That time's tricky as the squirts go to bed and the boss will be getting ready to go out. How about early tomorrow morning? If needs be, I can drive over or meet you in the Park at the cafe by Roehampton Gate. (The good lady will jump at the chance of peace and quiet for half an hour.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."