Silly commuting racing

Comments

• dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Littigator wrote:
    Welcome Noob

I reckon you should be docked 2FCN for failing to read the whole thread, but then that's just me in a bad mood cos the Northerners keep picking on me today.

Aww poor litts, if it makes you feel better I've got better tech skills than UPL so here's a special present just for you.

DSCF1385.JPG

And UPL I've added the route to that other program:
    Arthur Seat Lap

Not sure how to do all the fancy stuff discussed above but check out the profile as a gradient. Looking at where that spike of 20+% I have no idea where that section is, I don't remember a bit that steep at that stage of the lap. The solid 1km of climb from aprox 2.5km into the route is where a lot of people start the circuit from.

Litts have a look at our small hillock.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Hi guys.

Littigator, take it out on a Brompton faffer tonight. If you look at it on a map, my route cuts out a chunk and saves me messing around with Parliment Square and the bottom of Blackfriars bridge and Upper Thames Street. Given recent events its a section that I'm happy to forgoe.

Greg, I've see the SS thread and have been following your fixie exploits with ammusement. While I like the idea of a SS, I don't think I have the coordination to brake, keep rotating the crank yet slow it down, steer and swear at anyone who makes me take avoidance. I can do 3 but 4 is pushing it!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I might make some stickers that read "get a brake, hipster tw4t" and stick them to the handlebars of any SS bikes I see without brakes.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    While I like the idea of a SS, I don't think I have the coordination to brake, keep rotating the crank yet slow it down, steer and swear at anyone who makes me take avoidance. I can do 3 but 4 is pushing it!

I don't believe in using your legs to break - it feels weird, hurts and game lab HQ tests have shown it makes your nuts shrivel.

I use two brakes, one aft and one forward that have been designed to specifically slow bikes down! Genius.

I only have to remember to keep turning my legs and get my breathing out of the "gasping like a fecking great cod" zone before the lights and my 2.5 seconds of epileptic ADHD kidt on Tizer at a strobe light convention trackstand.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Well i encountered a UFO last night - unidentified foodchain object. It was some form of horizontal bike with a guy sort of lying down in a pod. I got really excited about a scalp as he wobbled about with one hand on the tarmac to stay upright, the lights turned green and he slwoly moved off....then suddenly he must have engaged his flux converter, cos the change of pace was rapid. I watched dismally as he Armstong'd it up the Vauxhall Bridge col.

Rapid.

Surely a new addition to the food chain!?
  • You saw a Recumbent, and they can be devilishly quick contraptions!
  • Greg T
    Sewinman wrote:
    Surely a new addition to the food chain!?

That most rare of beasts - a recumbent.....

It is in the fiid chain along with Segways and Sinclaire C5s - worthy of a good story.

They can shift when they get going - but there again you know that as he dropped you like a red headed step child (attrib Buffy)

• Sewinman
    'Red haired step child' - heh heh. :D I wonder why red heads get such bad press, my Italian pal says they are cherished in Italy.

A recumbant! Tis true - it was a Tufnell-esque drop.

Some exciting news is our finance director - 'has no objections' to the cycle to work scheme and is investigating its implementation. I have been hassling him...££££ road bike - wooo ho!
  • It's the lack of wind resistance you see. Good article here http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/speedruns2000/worlds-fastest-bicycle-2000.htm
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Something very peculiar has started to happen - I seem to be scalping people. Most strange.

But, and I need some advice from you here guys - the Old Kent Road, and whatever that other bit up to Westminster Bridge is called, has SOOOOOOOO many traffic lights it's ridiculous. So when I overtake someone and do leave them behind they invariably catch up with me at a traffic light not long after.

Does this still count as a scalp?
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Just ran that route program on my route to work, I believe this explains why my legs feel much fresher on the way home than on the way in.

Profile.jpg

Total Ascent: 48m
    Total Descent: 7m
    Start Elevation: 50m
    End Elevation: 83m
    Min Elevation: 48m
    Max Elevation: 83m

So pretty much constantly uphill.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Greg T
    Coriander wrote:
    So when I overtake someone and do leave them behind they invariably catch up with me at a traffic light not long after.

Does this still count as a scalp?

It's the gift that just keeps on giving.

I can't believe that people will actively slip in front of me at lights knowing full well I'm just going to do them again and again and again.

They must either have the memory of Dope fiend Goldfish or have self harming tendencies and love the inner pain.

Yes it does still count - rack em up.

• Sewinman
    It's the lack of wind resistance you see. Good article here http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/speedruns2000/worlds-fastest-bicycle-2000.htm

Jash - Yes, that was the exact bike.

I did wonder why i was dropped so quickly...but i was catching up a bit later when it turned off after RLJing.
  • biondino
    Sewinman wrote:
    'Red haired step child' - heh heh. :D I wonder why red heads get such bad press, my Italian pal says they are cherished in Italy.
    !

Hmm, my understanding, in Sicily at least, is they've always been distrusted as Judas Iscariot was supposed to have been a ginger.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    damn and I thought my usual morning ride to the station was hilly, clearly I'm :?

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=1774

In other news: As tomorrow is my last official day in the office, I will be around and about if people are still planning to meet for a swift beer at the Morpeth Arms - I do believe I can claim a first here, first player to exit the GAME :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    On Monday I might start a new thread on this forum, along the lines of ex Game players reunited, where I'll tell stories of how it was all so much better in my day, when the GI were so big they looked like a third wheel, etc etc bore bore snooooooozzzzzz!!!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    ITB are you out of the game as you won't be cycling?

If not what are you doing with your zoo of bikes?

• Sewinman
    biondino wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    !

Hmm, my understanding, in Sicily at least, is they've always been distrusted as Judas Iscariot was supposed to have been a ginger.

He is from Milan, so a different world to Sicily. He recently recommended I go on holiday to Sicily...is that from whence you hail?
  • biondino
    How dare you sir! I am a proud Venetian.
  • itboffin
    edited September 2008
    No I was made redundant at the beginning of the month so therefore technically I will no longer be commuting from Sat. until further notice I will simply be "cycling" :shock: - do people really do that? :wink:

As I mentioned early in the SCR thread I might well employ frankly unfair commuter teasing tactics during my down time, I refer you to my earlier suggestion of me cycling around London during prime Game time in full TT kit with Yellow Jersey (yet to be purchased) pushing 5-10 MPH or I could just spend my time trying to up my avg. speed on this tasty little route http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=1781

Pah the gradient data on bikehike is totally wrong wrong wrong.
  • I'm guessing it's the usual for Friday drinks, just arrive when you can? I should be down there around 17:40 which gives me 5 minutes to change and 5 minutes to sprint down Vauxhall Bridge Road before composing myself when I arrive at the pub for that "I'm not trying" appearance!

Gonna have to remember to pack light's and a warm top tho as I normally travel in t-shirt or sleeveless t-shirt and arrive home before it goes dark!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Monsieur Le Greg T

I must protest at your inordinate sense of comedy and tomfoolery Sir!

How on Earth the average SCRer is supposed to keep up the pretence of busily beavering away at their chosen digital work interface whilst simultaneously laughing out loud, snorting coffe down their nose and weeping tears of hilarity all over their keyboard is just really quite beyond me.

I demand an apology SIR!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator
    dafruk wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    Welcome Noob

I reckon you should be docked 2FCN for failing to read the whole thread, but then that's just me in a bad mood cos the Northerners keep picking on me today.

Aww poor litts, if it makes you feel better I've got better tech skills than UPL so here's a special present just for you.

DSCF1385.JPG

And UPL I've added the route to that other program:
    Arthur Seat Lap

Not sure how to do all the fancy stuff discussed above but check out the profile as a gradient. Looking at where that spike of 20+% I have no idea where that section is, I don't remember a bit that steep at that stage of the lap. The solid 1km of climb from aprox 2.5km into the route is where a lot of people start the circuit from.

Litts have a look at our small hillock.

I have one thing to say to you...

moonie1.gif

• Littigator wrote:
    Monsieur Le Greg T

I must protest at your inordinate sense of comedy and tomfoolery Sir!

How on Earth the average SCRer is supposed to keep up the pretence of busily beavering away at their chosen digital work interface whilst simultaneously laughing out loud, snorting coffe down their nose and weeping tears of hilarity all over their keyboard is just really quite beyond me.

I demand an apology SIR!

I think this is the kettle calling the pot black, especially considering your post in between that and this one :-P
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Littigator wrote:
    I demand an apology SIR!

Poke it lanky.

Demands require a bargaining position of some strength and leverage.

Your lever is too short and the power behind it is weak.

Your Mrs says Hi by the way.

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    GregT you don't use your legs on a fixie to regulate your speed

for shame

Stopping, yes use the brakes... other than that it's about skills and fitness
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T wrote:

I can't believe that people will actively slip in front of me at lights knowing full well I'm just going to do them again and again and again.

Why do they do this, it's just embarrassing.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:

A combination of transcendental stupidity and lack of awareness. When passed, the subject will often be found staring straight ahead, tunnel vision stylee, or going for it, with their tongues hanging out the side of their mouth.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T wrote:

Had the exact same thing yesterday - I was busy tanking along the main road towards Balham/Tooting, mauling all those front of me. Pull up at the next set of lights and some dozy bint comes past and pulls up DIRECTLY in front of me!

FFS :twisted: It just makes it dangerous for me (and her!) as I now need to steer round her when I pull off as I'm gonna be on top of her (calm down GT) within a couple of crank turns, even if I do try and pull of slowly - something that is nigh on impossible for any self respecting game playa!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Greg T wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    I demand an apology SIR!

Poke it lanky.

Demands require a bargaining position of some strength and leverage.

Your lever is too short and the power behind it is weak.

Your Mrs says Hi by the way.

Bite me slaphead

I was talking to your daughter earlier, she said she could outsprint you in her pram!!!