The Ex-XXL Trophy

Comments

• venster
    venster Posts: 356
    lol - should read replies before posting !!
    Although I must admit to eating Kinder cereal bars, who knows what they contain.
  • Get in there 7lbs off in the last fortnight and 2 holes in on the belt.

With regards to the question on mileage my commute to and from work equates to 120 miles a week and I normally try and and add another 20 - 30 miles on top of that depending in time constraints.

Keep it up everyone and good luck on your goals.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Stats are now updated on my blog. Congrats to the three who have achieved over a stone loss since we started and there are a few more who are not far behind. Some of us lose weight and then plateau, as for me, I've plateaued before the loss!
    Has anyone had any unexpected problems? My thighs and calves have now become firmer but they feel very heavy, no difficulty in cycling or walking but they feel heavy.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 12/13 May: Update published: Monday 14 May
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

Has anyone had any unexpected problems? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah I keep getting wolf whistled and propositioned by women drinking diet coke, and then I wake up !!

My e bay bargain œ 31.05

My commuting bike
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    lost some weight this week for a change but i needed to work hard at it so i am going to calm things down slightly.
    by the next weigh -in i am going to aim for 264 lbs that a loss of 2 lbs.
    just like you mr hippo i to have noticed lump like things growing from my calves and thighs,i have been told they are called muscles. may start considering shaving the legs and wearing shorts next year[;)].

you only need to lose 1 lb a week---- to lose 52 lbs or 3 stone and 7 lbs in one year
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

Stats are now updated on my blog. Congrats to the three who have achieved over a stone loss since we started and there are a few more who are not far behind. Some of us lose weight and then plateau, as for me, I've plateaued before the loss!
    Has anyone had any unexpected problems? My thighs and calves have now become firmer but they feel very heavy, no difficulty in cycling or walking but they feel heavy.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Some of my trousers while looser round the waist have less pocket space due to the expansion of my thigh muscles. I've split a few seams by the pockets on two pairs of trousers when I've overloaded the pockets and then crouched. Previously the manoeuvre would have been accommodated by the looser fit legs.

I've had a good recovery from the excesses of Easter and have a few 200km rides coming up in May. Once the exam script markeing burden has gon mid-May, I'll be getting out on the weekday evenings too.
  • Yes mr hippo i've had a few problems , mostly on friday and saturday nights when my body is screaming at me to stuff a kebab into my face and wash it down with a couple of pints.
    So far i've managed to resist the temptation but i feel a lapse of will power is just around the corner.
    good luck to all.

That gives me the horn
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cafferty</i>

Yes mr hippo i've had a few problems , mostly on friday and saturday nights when my body is screaming at me to stuff a kebab into my face and wash it down with a couple of pints.
    So far i've managed to resist the temptation but i feel a lapse of will power is just around the corner.
    good luck to all.

That gives me the horn

There's nowt wrong with the odd indulgence. [:)]
  • kev2b3
    vernonlevy
    apart from being fit what do you need to take part in a audax, do you need to be a member of a club? , can you use any type of bike? do they give you a time limit to finish the ride? what sort of avg/speed do they expect you to keep at? any info would be great.
    many thanks
    kev
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kev2b3</i>

vernonlevy
    apart from being fit what do you need to take part in a audax, do you need to be a member of a club? , can you use any type of bike? do they give you a time limit to finish the ride? what sort of avg/speed do they expect you to keep at? any info would be great.
    many thanks
    kev
    Membership of a club isn't mandatory though it's cheaper to enter events as a member of Audax UK at œ14 for the yearotherwise rides cost œ150 more for insurance purposes. Average entry fee is about œ3.50. Any type of bike will do - I did an Audax in January where I was hard pushed to keep up with a woman pedalling her Brompton at 20 mph! I've seen mountain bikes, hybrids, recumbants, all out carbon framed racing bikes, semi wrecks you name it it's been used. The Paris Brest Paris ride was completed by someone on a push scooter!

100km rides can have a minimum speed of 15km/hr inc breaks which works out at 6hrs 40 mins though the time limits can be 10 hrs if the min speed is 10km/hr.

There are two categories of rides, calendered which are run on a fixed day and are organised events and permanents which are fixed routes ridden on a day of your choosing. I use a viant of the latter a DIY permanent where I choose a route, get it validated as suitable then ride it on a day of my choosing. It's best to get some calendered events in first before branching out on the permanents.

Hope that helps

Vernon

Have a look at the Audax website www.audax.uk.net for more information.
  • kev2b3
    thanks mate that helps alot
    kev
  • I am eating a lot more fruit than I used too, the down side to this is a lot more wind...very loud wind, just wandered is this normal. I have got a very understanding wife
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PINGPONG</i>

I am eating a lot more fruit than I used too, the down side to this is a lot more wind...very loud wind, just wandered is this normal. I have got a very understanding wife

Try single fruit days until you find the one(s) that cause the least flatulence.

Bananas and oranges are my preferred option - tough I've not tried owt else! Wind free too!
  • kev2b3
    hi all
    thinking about doing 65 mile ride friday.lots of people think this is a short ride so there is no need to take food with you only fluids.i was just wondering if that is true and should i take something to give my energy levels a blast during the ride. what do you think
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kev2b3</i>

hi all
    thinking about doing 65 mile ride friday.lots of people think this is a short ride so there is no need to take food with you only fluids.i was just wondering if that is true and should i take something to give my energy levels a blast during the ride. what do you think

I wouldn't dream of doing that without some solids. Yes it's possible to get all of your calories from energy drinks but stop and consider how long you are going to be spending in the saddle. I'd be happy to do that sort of distance in 5 - 6 hours using 3+ litres of fluid plus a substantial pre-ride breakfast topped up with three bananas, 1/2 malt loaf, and a bag of jelly babies.

Three of my rides this year have had an uncomfortable last 10 - 15 miles simply because I'd not eaten enough in the earlier parts of the ride. Suufering from hunger knock or bonking out is not a pleasant experience and it can totally spoil a ride.
  • kev2b3
    i thought it would be better to take a small amount of food with me.to be honest the most i ever cycle was 40 miles so i thought i would try and increase it just to see how i feel. shown my wife the course incase i have taken on too much she can pick me up in the car.If i can keep this up i may be fit enough to do a audux or a sportive next year
  • kev2b3
    one more question, since cycling and doing a serious diet i have noticed the fat around by ample belly and the tops of by thighs as gone very soft to touch. is this normal
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    so first of all 4 miles 25 minutes[:)]no hills
    secondly 8 miles 55 minutes[;)]few hills
    thirdly 10 miles around regents park no times etc

so today after 8 weeks of cycling and with the help of fellow xxxl warrior RPMK.......

21 miles[:0][:0][:0] many more hillier bits[:0][:0][:0] long straights etc 1hour 40 minutes(2 hours if including finding out where we were) approx burnt 1500 calories FOOK knows my HR !!!!!

i have now developed smokers cough from the wheezing(subsiding now)pains in places that i didnt know existed !!!!!!! and have brought a job lot of radox muscle soak !!!!!!

but i really do feel good and cant believe i did it !!!!!

once again many thanks to you RPMK(chastised)[:)]

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    Thanks urrrrs, but the look of satisfaction on your face at the end of it was worth it! (As was the smug satifaction of us being challenged to a "race" by two gobby kids on mountain bikes and then just flying away from them! [:)][:)][:)])

As I'm sure others on here will testify, there was a time 20 miles seemed an impossible dream, but before long you'll be twenty milers without thinking about them! [:)]

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631

hi all

agree with vernon. I've only done a metric ton once but i took a fair amount to eat when i did.

Also, make sure you take is steady for the first 10 or 20 miles

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • mr_hippo
    I agree with Vernon about the eating, it is a mistake trying to ride without food. I am not a big fan of energy drinks, I prefer either plain water or orange cordial. Two 'bonk' stories for you:-
    We had a young, inexperienced lad join our club, he promised some charity organization that he would do LEJOG for them in a time of 6 days! The first run he went on was from Runcorn to Three Shire's Head (where Cheshire, Staffordshire and Derbyshire meet). We tried to persuade him to eat but he refused. On the way home Mick & I were acting as back-markers about 400 yards behind the club, about halfway home we saw him wobbling all over the road. Cycling up to him we managed to prevent him falling over by propping him up between us and guiding him to a stop.
    The other story sees me suffering, not bonking but not far from it. On the ride back from Rivington Pike, I turned to Old Bill "Have you got any butties left?" "Yes, couple of cheese and marmalade, do you want them" "Oh, you dirty b*gger, how can you eat those?" I did need something to eat and I enjoyed them! For the Southerners and the posher members - butties = sandwiches.
    urrrrrrrrrs, congratulations on your first twenty, what's next? Remember that speed and distance are secondary to enjoyment.
    I was going out today but I must have been bitten by something on my left heel, my foot is alll swollen and I cannot out any weight on it so it is off to the doctors tomorrow.

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Been a while since I weighed in so thought i better let you all know how i'm getting on.

Well If i'm honest i've done about 50 miles since the XXL tropghy started but on the bright side i'm down to 304lb's
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    Well done, Chunky - that's a 12lbs loss - about the same as me and I've done 800 miles since we started!
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    Went out today for my second ever metric half-century. Hurt like buggery carrying 23 stone up the hills with a 20mph headwind ... was going so slowly (3/4mph) at one point that I was struggling to go fast enough to stay upright LOL. Anyway, I was good most of the way round ... had aches in back and wrists (position still not right!) after about 20 miles or so, but managed to complete our planned route, which was a total of 32.5 miles, or 52km. Did about the same distance last year for the first time, but that time I had a break of about 2/3 hours in the middle, and we just had a 20 minute or so break at a pub this time ... felt much more "real". This was my route in case anyone's interested ... check out the elevation profile (but ignore the anomalies)!!

Didn't weigh in this week, as it was my 30th Birthday on Saturday, so probably not very wise to do so, but will try and do so next week! [:D]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • mr_hippo
    Happy birthday, dakid but if you weighed in on Saturday then you would have been one week early!

• dakidcp
    Really? Changed to a fortnightly thing or something? So easy to confuse me, you see ...

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Thanks Big T,

No plans to start with the mile as of yet either as my back wheel got taken apart last night so i can fit some spokes that dont actually break every 5 minutes.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Well done dakid, don't them aches and pains make it all worth while, well don't they? I have got to take the wife out for a meal this saturday, it's her birthday today (took her to Las Vegas last year for her 50th so it's the least I can do really). I have been doing really good so far on this diet and exercise stuff but it just might falter a little this weekend. I can always blame the wife
  • dakidcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PINGPONG</i>

Well done dakid, don't them aches and pains make it all worth while, well don't they?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorta ... heh. They seem to serve more at the moment as a reminder that the bike's still not setup right, but I did really enjoy the achievement factor of doing a metric half-century!

I have got to take the wife out for a meal this saturday, it's her birthday today (took her to Las Vegas last year for her 50th so it's the least I can do really). I have been doing really good so far on this diet and exercise stuff but it just might falter a little this weekend. I can always blame the wife<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As long as she doesn't find out, I think blaming her would be an ideal excuse ... who are you to refuse her wishes for you to eat nice food on her birthday?

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • vernonlevy

hi all
    I've just done an over distance 100km Audax which worked out at 66 miles and this is what I got through:

Four rashers of bacon wrapped in tortillas and a bowl of oats with milk and sugar eaten 1.5 hours before riding.

A banana and a cereal bar eaten at 15 miles.

A shop bought chicken mayonnaise sandwich and a bag of crisps eaten at 34 miles.

A banana eaten at 49 miles.

Rinsed down with 1.5 litres of 50:50 orange juice and water plus a half litre of fruit flavoured mineral water.

At the end of the ride I drank 500ml of milk and 500ml of still mineral water.

It was my fastest 100km Audax to date: 4hr and 57mins and I even managed to overtake a triathlete 90km into my ride. OK he was probably one of the slower triathletes but it felt good ovetaking him on my Galaxy. I've had a fortnigh free of Audaxing because of the pressures of work. Looks like the break has done me good. The scales will deliver their own verdict in the morning [:o)]