The Ex-XXL Trophy

Comments

• tentonnehammer
    tentonnehammer Posts: 2,805
    Excellent blog mate, forgot to weigh in last week so will catch up on the next scheduled weigh in.
    I will try to sort a photo out asap-ish-ish!!!
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    Well how is everyone doing.
    So far i think i am on course to lose 3 pounds not the 5 pounds by weigh-in ,but i am not going to give up trying to lose the 5 pounds i predicted.
    After reading about turbo trainers in the forum i bought one so theres no excuses to ride on the days i cant go out due to the bad weather
    Mr hippo i will try and sort out a photo to send you but please be aware its not a pretty sight.
    well i hope all is well with everyone and we are all losing pounds
  • Hi guys,

I have just been reading this thread and am finding it very interesting. I'm a massive bird (prob weigh more than most of you, but then us women carry it differently heh heh [:D]) and I've just taken up cycling to see if it can help me shed a few pounds. I'm not going to join your challenge just yet, because, frankly, my cycling efforts are still very feeble at present and also I'm scared of the scales...

However, I just wanted to tell you that having spent years in the "Dieting/I'm a failure/I hate myself because of my size" loop, I have recently read a book called "Self Esteem comes in all sizes" - I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone - and the author gives a few tips as follows:

1) Society sees a big person and tends to assume they are lazy and lard-assed. Not true. Stop worrying about how other see you, and concentrate on getting fitter, and doing exercise for exercise sake. Try to judge yourself by your own standards, rather than those that society "impose" upon us.

2) The "3500 calories = 1 pound" thing is a myth. In a scientific study where the participants' diet was controlled over a period of time and reduced by the same amount of calories, the weight differences reported varied from a 9lb loss to a 22lb loss over the same period. It's a genetic fact that some folks just lose quicker than others.

3) The British Heart foundation has reported today that 30 mins exercise a day halves your risk of heart attack. Forget about the pounds (muscle weighs heavy anyway) and use that as your motivation instead.

4) Throw out any clothes (including cycling ones) that don't fit and get some that do. You will feel psychologically much better.

I think you are all doing fanstastically well, and you have inspired me to keep going so thank you!
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    First of all, Pinksparklybirdy, congratulations on purchasing a Pashley Princess and I hope the two of you have many happy miles together. People do think that large people eat a lot but most of us don't, there are many different reasons but people just seem to focus on the eating part. Losing weight will be a bonus for me but my main aim is to reduce the size of my 'pot' - I'm like a pirate because I have a sunken chest! The weight will come off eventually but I have noticed a change in shape - my lyrca shorts seem to have lost their 'instant roll off the gut' feature but they eventually roll down. As I said my problem is mainly the gut and unfortunately you can't specify which area you want to lose weight first.
    What I have noticed over the past few weeks that it is taking a shorter amount of time after hard riding for my pulse to return to normal. At the same time, no matter how hard I exercise, my pulse remains fairly constant - between 133 & 140 bpm.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in :28/29 April
    Update published : Monday 30 April
  • tentonnehammer
    tentonnehammer Posts: 2,805
    I too have a big big gut and in the past when I have lost weight it goes off love handles and everywhere else first, the gut for me just remains although I havent got to a point where I was chipping away at it.This time tho.....
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the gut for me just remains although I havent got to a point where I was chipping away at it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    [In poor imitation Homer Simpson voice] Mmmmm, chips! Agggggggg! [:D]

I'm another one with a belly - from behind people have previously thought I was skinny, but then I turn around and surprise them!

In terms of goals, I'd love a washboard stomach and doubt I'll ever have (or want) a six-pack. However, I would like to be able to get down on the drops without cycling along going "ow, ow, ow" everytime I knee myself in the belly! [:p]

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • mr_hippo
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rpmk</i>
    However, I would like to be able to get down on the drops without cycling along going "ow, ow, ow" everytime I knee myself in the belly! [:p]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is called 'therapeutic massage'

• Thanks for the warm welcome Hippo...

Seeing that comment about your belly hitting your knees while cycling, reminds me of another good sign that you are losing weight...

You know you've lost weight when you no longer need to "lift" your belly or use a mirror in order to see your man/lady bits [:D][:D]
  • AngusDe
    AngusDe Posts: 25
    Well, I haven't found any scales yet, but on Saturday I got a pair of jeans on that hadn't been worn for well over 18 months.

Today is the start of my 13th week in my new post/job, and the start of week 3 of cycling instead of walking the 1.2miles house to station and 1.4miles station to office (and back again). the first few weeks I was walking/driving the first bit, and walking the second bit, so those 10 weeks of walking helped too.

I hope to start working up longer distances and eventually do the whole 13 or so miles each way regularly, but for now I'm knacked enough with my 5.2miles a day..... The worst bit is the last 150 Meters or so back to the house where it climbs 25 Meters (looking at the OS map) and I arrive home puffing and sweating, much to the amusement of my wife and stepdaughter, lol... Luckily its a flat run when I head towards the office in the morning so I'm a bit more presentable when I arrive at work, as for now I just wear my normal "work" clothes - I don't think the folks at work are ready for me in lycra.....

Angus
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kev2b3</i>

Well how is everyone doing.
    So far i think i am on course to lose 3 pounds not the 5 pounds by weigh-in ,but i am not going to give up trying to lose the 5 pounds i predicted.
    After reading about turbo trainers in the forum i bought one so theres no excuses to ride on the days i cant go out due to the bad weather
    Mr hippo i will try and sort out a photo to send you but please be aware its not a pretty sight.
    well i hope all is well with everyone and we are all losing pounds
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't know about the weight loss as I refuse to get on the scales until the weigh in dates but...several of then kids that I teach have mentioned that I am looking thinner sice the start of term when I was stuffed with chocolate, curries and birtday festivities foods.

I still have an almost mint condition turbo. I nearly died on it - of boredom. I can be out on the road faster tha setting up the turbo - I have a wife who insists that it's put away after use.

I'm still largely a weekend warrior I did a 100 mile Audax ride on Sunday and ate surprisingly little on the ride:
    <ul><li>A peanut butter sandwich</li><li>A mars bar </li><li>120g of jelly babies </li><li>Two Go bars </li><li>Two small/medium bananas </li><li>1.5 litres of orange juice cut with 2.5 litres of water </li></ul>

Comments elsewhere about stomach and knee collisions, the violence of mine have certainly diminished in the past few days and I'm optimistic that I'll be able to register a weight loss this weekend [:)]
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    i went into my local tescos ,now that they have done it up they have a new weighing machine in the medicene area which takes your height, weight and BMI. standing on there like a pillock holding onto the arms whilst some american lady shouts out at the top of her voice YOU FAT BASTARD in front of everyone(well not quite but you get my adrift ?[:)]).
    Anyway according to the machine i have grown 4 inches since thelast time i was on it[?][?]

apart from that i would also like to say that a pair of my jeans are now too big even with a belt
    i am now a little more confident on the bike and glad i left the mtb with platform pedals behind and moved on to the tri-cross with spd's as it makes me work harder and will now start to tackle a few inclimbs around where i live(g-d help me !!![:0])

also i aint had any chips in the past week even when i go to the fish and chip restaraunt instead of having the usual ,i now have grilled fish with salad etc and what with the football season almost over there are no more Excusues !!!!!
    i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • kev2b3
    Like most i refuse to stand on any scale until weigh - in but recently i felt lighter and my clothes seem to be getting a bit more baggy. My wife and kids tells me that i am losing weight but she would say that its payday wednesday.[:D]

vernonlevy are these 100 mile Audax ride simular to sportives.[?]
  • Mygo
    Mygo Posts: 14
    Vernon,

I did a 80KM ride this weekend and now feel inspired to have a go at an Audax. It took me 5 hours to do the 80K.

I was thinking of trying the 108K Cotswold Audax listed in the Ride Forum (http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html).

Have you done this Audax? Just wondering if it would be a good 1st Audax for a Fatty.

Mygo
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kev2b3</i>

vernonlevy are these 100 mile Audax ride simular to sportives.[?]

Audaxes are nice relaxed rides with an overall minimum average speed of 15km/hr inc breaks. Some of the 100km rides have a lower minimum speed to encourage beginners/casual cyclists. I took a leisurely 9.5 hours to do the ride. Could have gone faster but I wanted to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone [:p]

Sportives are for fast bas#ards not fat bas#ards [:D]
  • kev2b3
    thank vernonlevy i will stay away from the sportives. maybe next year when i am fitter i will join you on some of these audaxes rides
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mygo</i>

Vernon,

I did a 80KM ride this weekend and now feel inspired to have a go at an Audax. It took me 5 hours to do the 80K.

I was thinking of trying the 108K Cotswold Audax listed in the Ride Forum (http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html).

Have you done this Audax? Just wondering if it would be a good 1st Audax for a Fatty.

Mygo

There's not a lot of difference between 80 and 100 km. I've looked at the details of the ride and you have a wopping ten and a bit hours to get round the route.

There's a key word in the description - undulating - an Audax code word for mildly hilly but don't let that put you off. Avoid rides described as scenic - the climbs to the viewpoints make them tough routes [:D]

There's two approaches to this ride:

1) you've got a bonus five hours to do the extra 28km

2) ride at a comfortable pace using a reasonable effort and get off and walk if the hills prove to be too much - there really is bags of time to get around.

I took on my first Audaxes when I weighed around 23 stones. I managed to get round the 100km rides inside the 'standard' 6 hrs 40 mins

I've bitten off more than I can chew on a few occasions either chosing extremely hilly rides - - one more or less started on a 20% climb or too far with many undulations i.e. 200km through the Pennines

I think that the route is rideable for those of a fit but portly nature. If it wasn't so far away, I'd have ago myself. I think that you would sail through it.

Go on have a go.

I get evicted from the house every weekend to do one. My wife sees it as an investment in my long term health. Sixteen rides of 100km this year and a 'very scenic' 60km ride. I've got quads of steel now.
  • mr_hippo
    Just found a web site - http://www.tourdethailand.com/home/?page_id=1 - an annual four week ride from Chiang Mai in the North to Phuket in the South, 21 days + 6 rest days and a total distance of 1312 miles. The longest day is 95 miles and the shortest is 42. I am very tempted but due to logistics maybe not this year but next.

The only problem that I have is which bike? I'm quite happy on the MTB for shortish rides around town (40 to 50 miles), The road bike is Campag equipped and maybe too highly geared. I cannot get Campag spares in Thailand and if posted to me maybe the customs will charge me an arm, a leg and my first born! The alternative is a new bike. I can buy one in England on my next visit, I will save on VAT but the shipping will be expensive and there is also the whim of the customs here; take it back with me and we are into excess air charges.

I'm looking for a tourer, Cannondale are available here and so are Trek. I don't like Cannondale so we are left with Trek. The Trek 520 (œ900 in the UK: with discount here about œ630), nice bike and will possibly go for it.

• vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

I'm looking for a tourer, Cannondale are available here and so are Trek. I don't like Cannondale so we are left with Trek. The Trek 520 (œ900 in the UK: with discount here about œ630), nice bike and will possibly go for it.

I'm looking at the Channel to the Med - a more modest affair though a tour of Thailand sounds so tempting until I remember that it's hot, humid and would cost a gazillion pounds to do and would bust the budget allocated to my cycle touring endeavours by SWMBO. She would object to my absence, just the financial indulgence.

Go for it Mr Hippo - I'll do the tour by proxy [:p]
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

Well guys i don't know whether this will encourage you or not but i for one am trying hard at the minute to exercise hard when i can on he bike and not over eat. And i'm enjoying every minute of it.

And i'm going to hit the target weight loss of 3 pounds set on this forum.

Hope it's going well for the rest of you

F&^%ing ell!!!!!

spoke too soon. Felt crap for last 5 days and so have eaten loads and exercised very little (ok, not at all)[:(]

Hopefully feel better soon so can get back to it

Hope you lot are doing better

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • kev2b3
    just wondering, how many miles per month does everyone aim for.
  • vernonlevy

just wondering, how many miles per month does everyone aim for.

My targets are variable according to circumstances.

A minimimum of 4 x 100km Audaxes per lunar month. Anything above that is a bonus.

Some months the distance are greater because the events have longer routes. Once the work pressures diminish mid-May I'll be looking at doing 4 x 50km rides per mont in addition to the 100km rides.

Besides, distance isn't always a reliable measure of exercise some of my 100km rides have been done in as little as five hours (flat, easy and fast) and the slowest one took me 9.5 hours (lumpy as hell).
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    This year to help me have a bit more structure to my riding, I've set some mileage targets and ramped up from 50, 100, 200 miles in Jan/Feb/Mar, and am aiming for 300 miles per month April to September, then back down to 200 in October, 100 in Nov/Dec.

Have tended to be a (very) fair weather cyclist, so the past two year show a distinct lack of more than a few rides between October and April, which causes the weight to drift back up. Grrr! This year I will beat this with more turbo sessions when wet, but also get decent long tights to go out when cold and clear.

As Vernon says, though, it isn't all about mileage. I'm going to do some hillclimb training on a 1 mile killer near me (local clubs use it for hillclimb competitions) and going up and down that might not be a huge mileage, but it'll be a calorie or two!

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • Mygo
    I sent off my application to join Audax and have applied to do the 108K Cotswold Ride in June. If it doesn't kill me I will try and ride 1 a month for the rest of the year.
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    try to do 300 miles a month at av speed of 17mph,this has increased from 200 miles a month at 16mph last year. minimum ride distance is 6 miles (commute), to 50 miles (long loop). av speed is higher on loop, probably due to the fact that i'm just warmed up at the end of my commute

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mygo</i>

I sent off my application to join Audax and have applied to do the 108K Cotswold Ride in June. If it doesn't kill me I will try and ride 1 a month for the rest of the year.

Good luck with the Cotswold ride. I'm sure that you'll get round within the time limits. Remember that Audaxes are not races though some riders do not appear to realise that. You are successful if you get around within the time limits. Set a steady pace and stick with it. Don't forget to eat and drink regularly around the route.
  • Mygo
    Hello,

I have done my weigh-in this morning and have now lost over a stone on the Hippo plan. Very pleased with myself.

Good luck to you all.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Good for you, Mygo.

I had a quick check and put on a pound this week. Despite cutting out alcohol, watching what I eat and doping some long rides. Done rides of 35, 20 and 45 miles this week.

Very demoralising !
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    so kev, you challenged me to lose 3 pounds and i actually lost 2 [:(]. To be honest i'm quite pleased with that loss as i had a bad period in the middle (see my last post) and was glad to have lost any weight at all.

how did you get on with your 5 pound target?

And how did the rest of you get on??

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    Started eating more sensibly last week and - combined with the increased cycling - have dropped about 7/8lbs this week. Unfortunately, that still puts me two or three pounds above starting weight, but then you can't have everything [;)]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by venster</i>

Good for you, Mygo.

I had a quick check and put on a pound this week. Despite cutting out alcohol, watching what I eat and <b><hr noshade size="1">doping</b> some long rides. Done rides of 35, 20 and 45 miles this week.

Very demoralising !
    mmmm, watch out for the xxxl drug police!

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/