The Ex-XXL Trophy

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AngusDe</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

I'm really impressed with bikely.com. It's much better than www.gmap-pedometer.com at plotting gradient profiles.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Really? I'll have to try it now, I'd assumed it was the same google maps based as the gmap one!

Angus

It is google maps based but has superior features. It doesn't do a caolorie count but there again the one offered by gmap was based on running/jogging. It's also possible to annotate routes with bikely.
  • Somethign I do is to have a healthy but filling snack / meal lined up for when I get back froma ride. I find if I drink a glass of milk and then have a shower before eating i do not need to eat quite so much. I am sure most of you are wise to this though......
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    Somethign I do is to have a healthy but filling snack / meal lined up for when I get back froma ride. I find if I drink a glass of milk and then have a shower before eating i do not need to eat quite so much. I am sure most of you are wise to this though......

im not wise to that but i will try it on my next big ride
  • Hello all,

New member alert!!!

A little late perhaps, but could I join the Ex-XXL contest?

Male, 40, 5'11", 105kg

Cheers[:)]
  • srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    I'm about to reveal that I've lost ...very little... since last week, and therefore also since I started. The three-pound challenge almost certainly won't have worked for me. Personally I'd welcome more incentive!

(Mrs srw has just bought buttery garlic bread for supper, we've got guests in tomorrow who we're feeding a creamy venison stroganoffy thing, and we're going to my father's house on Saturday. So too much food and no exercise this weekend.)
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    i am afraid i will most probably not lose anything this time as i am travelling upto Newcastle this weekend to go on the lash[:D],starting with something refreshing on the 08.30 out of Kings Cross.[:p] tomorrow morning

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • kev2b3
    145 miles cycled in pass 4 days and i have put on weight so i have failed the challenge this week, but there is always the next weigh-in in two weeks time.
  • srw647
    My excuse is that I'm putting on muscle weight. Actually, reasonably plausible. The trouser test certainly suggests that I'm skinnier, and I think the body fat %age measurer I've got is also saying the same, although since I haven't kept records it's difficult to tell!
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigBlokeWivShavedLegs</i>

Hello all,

New member alert!!!

A little late perhaps, but could I join the Ex-XXL contest?

Male, 40, 5'11", 105kg

Cheers[:)]

Welcome to the club - your details have been added

Ex-XXL weigh-in :14/15 April
    Update published : Monday 16 April
  • Thanks for adding me.

50 miler today. [xx(]
  • kev2b3
    like srw647 my tape measure tells me i am losing inches but my scales (which are from the deepest parts of hell) tell me i am not losing weight but gaining weight.now i am not going to give up no no no i am going to try a bit harder over the next two weeks.so i am going to challenge myself once again, by the next weigh-in (28/04/07 i will lose 5 pounds in weight,anyone else up for a challenge?
  • I have been running a lot more at work the last two weeks and eating a lot less, went out on the bike last night and got a p******e relly pi**ed off with that, but what I am saying is, for some reason ( don't ask me why) I don't think I will loose that much weight this week. Call it imagination or what but I have just got a funny feeling about it....I do hope I am wrong
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    A good result for me for this weigh in - -7lb in the last two weeks, so quite pleased about that. As per my earlier post, I managed to keep most of the loss until I weighed in last Monday (long story, but sticking to my old weigh in and reporting at end of relevant week ... ok, maybe not such a long story).

Over the course of the week, have been quite bad due to excess chocolate around the house and quite a stressful week at work, and as a result the weight has started creeping back up, so now have 10 days to get back into winning (or should that be "losing"? [:)] ways.

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I'm up for Kev's 5lb challenge. (gulp!)

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • kev2b3
    this was mentioned by mr hippo a few weeks ago that we should send a photo in of ourselves, no matter how scary we look, so we can have before and after pictures. i just need to wait for my kid to come home to show me how to send the pic
  • mr_hippo
    kev2b3, these 'challenges' of yours may act as an incentive to some but they may have the opposite effect on others. 'Shimano Wide-Load' may think "I'll have a go", does about 200 miles and then weighs himself and he has put a few pounds on. He is disappointed but doesn't give up this time, he fails the following challenge and then he thinks seriously about giving up and does. Can you shorten the 5 lbs to 2 or 3 so that people will be encouraged? Just my thoughts.

How am I doing? Not very well at the moment! Like others, I have put on weight or rather muscle mass. It is Thai New Year so I have not been out (I don't want water or flour thrown over me) but I have got the pc fixed so I can run the Fortius Real Life Videos of the Aube Valley and Mount Ventoux. I have never been a 'twiddler' or 'spinner' but have managed to get into a lower gear and increase average cadence to the high 70s from my normal of the low 60s. I think my shape is improving slightly.

When the New Year celebrations are over (18th), I think I will alternate my training - road work one day and TACX the next. I'll let you know how i get on.

• kev2b3
    to be fair mr hippo the only person i have challenged to lose 5 lbs is myself and no one else and if i can remember right the only other people i have challenged i only asked them to lose is three pound in weight.
    to be honest the only reason i started to challenge some of the members is because i thought the forum was getting very quiet and i thought that having a go at motivating others members through a challenge would bring a bit of life back to the forum.if anyone dosent want me to challenge them thats fairby me and i have no problems with that,but if they do wish to join in the challenge they can choose, if they prefer, the weight they wish to lose by the next weigh-in.
  • mr_hippo
    OK, Kev, point taken

• kev2b3
    I was reading this in one of the cycling mag. The fasted fat burning rides are an oft-maligned way to reduce body fat. The idea is that when you sleep, you fast, and so your body turns to stored fat for fuel. Exercise before breakfast, and you'll carry that more efficient fat burning into your training.
    that said, there's truth in the adage that "fat burns in a fire of carbohydrates". The harder you ride, the more calories you'll burn - but at anything harder than a steady pace, you'll burn ever more carbohydrate as the proportion of fat used begins to drop. also the harder you push the more quickly you'll burn through any carbohydrates stores you have. for rides like this to work you'll have to ride regularly, you'll have to ride easily and you'll have to ride hungry. Skip breakfast (sugarless black coffee is allowed), keep the rides less than 90 minutes long, drink plenty of water while riding and keep the pace down. Once your ride is over refuel as soon as possible, ideally with a balanced recovery drink.

So as anyone tried this method out, if not I will have a go for the next two weeks and let you know the outcome by the weigh - in on the 28th.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    I don't think I'll lose anything this time around: a week on a diet of Stella and chocolate while being away on holiday probably won't help my waist line. Although on a positive note, I've just broke the 1 hour mark for a 17 mile loop around where I live. So I must be getting fitter, if not fatter!
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    agreed

holiday plus feeling crap beforehand as led to me back at starting weight.

Determined to keep going tho...
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • DLB
    Kev

you can challenge me to lose 3 pounds if you want to (in the next two weeks)???

DLB
  • tentonnehammer
    tentonnehammer Posts: 2,805
    wouldnt it be great if we could all meet up on a sort of training camp on bikes for a fortnight or a month and be really motivated and competitive?
  • kev2b3
    strange thing have happened in the past 2 weeks--
    no1 - needed to invest in belts to hold up trousers.[:)]
    no2 - t shirts are starting to look baggy and feel baggy on me.[:D]
    no3- i have put on nearly 4 pounds of weight on [:(],work that out then.

ok DLB i challenge you to lose 3 pounds by the 28th
    DLB = 3 pounds
    kev2b3 = 5 pounds
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    Kev,

Do you take any measurements other than weight? My wife measures my vital statistics every so often and it is interesting that - as you are finding - the loss of inches off the waist are not always reflected on the scales.

She measures all sorts of things, but mainly chest, waist, thighs, upper arms and wrists. Might be useful to get a complete "how am I doing" picture?

At the end of the day, I'd rather have a great physique but be slightly overweight, than be feather light and scrawny! (Can't imagine either will ever be true though! [:)])

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • DLB
    OK Kev, you're on. Lets see if i can lose 3 pounds in a fortnight. Good luck mate.
  • kev2b3
    rpmk your wife is right, i was told by an expert on fitness that it is more important to measure your body with a tape measure every two weeks than it is to weigh yourself.i measure neck,chest,waist hips thighs ,calfs and upper arms then total up the inches.
    example 31/03/07 measurements = 227"
    13/03/07 measurements = 222"
    which means from last weigh-in i have put on pounds but i have also lost 5" of fat from around by body.so although i putting some weight on i am also getting leaner which i am very happy about
    i hope this helps mate
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

agreed

holiday plus feeling crap beforehand as led to me back at starting weight.

Determined to keep going tho...

See it as losing a battle but not the war [;)]

FWIW I've put weight on and I don't think it's muscle. Easter eggs, pies, curries, birthday cake, birthday party leftovers....

Still, I managed to slot in 250 miles of cycling, 110 of them very hilly just think how much I might have put on if I hadn't done the cycling!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    OH SWEET LORD BEJESUS,FORGIVE ME O LORD
    I HAVE JUST GOT BACK FROM A WEEKEND UP NORTH IN NEWCASTLE/SUNDERLAND IF I WAS TO TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE EATEN AND DRUNK THIS WEEKEND[:0] I CAN CATERGORICALLY(SP?) STATE THAT I WILL HAVE NOT LOST ANY WEIGHT !!!!! AMONGST THE THINGS I HAVE EATEN/DRUNK THIS WEEKEND

MCDONALDS BACON ROLL MEAL
    2 CAFE LATTES
    1 HOT CHOCLATE
    A MUFFIN
    APPROX 6 BOTTLES OF MAGNERS (LARGE ONES)
    FOOK KNOWS HOW MANY FOSTERS
    LAMB MADRAS AND ALL TRIMMINGS
    A FEW KINGFISHERS BEERS
    FULL BREAKFAST
    I THINK 6 DOUBLE JACK DANIELS AND COKE
    CHICKEN BALTI PIE AT FOOTBALL MATCH
    SUNDAY ROAST WITH WINE

ALL BETS CLOSED ON WHETHER I HAVE LOST WEIGHT mmmmmmmmmmm????[8)][?]

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • srw647
    Well, I've lost a pound in the last fortnight (16st 13). Fell short of the 3-pound challenge, which I thought was going to be so easy, by 2 pounds.

Oh dear. It's back to the no-booze regime for me.
  • mr_hippo
    Just waiting for a few more of the regulars to weigh-in before I post the new table. I had a shock on Friday, jumped onto the scales and I had put on 5lbs! Spent a few hours on the TACX over the weekend and weighed myself earlier; the weight is not now +5 but +0.6 - next time hopefully less than 300!
    Today's TACX ride was in the Aube Valley in France, a nice undulating 50 miler with some nice long hills, and I mean long!, just done 32 miles and the electric went off and lost all my data - have to try the whole course later.