The Ex-XXL Trophy

Comments

• rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    Silly question for Mr Hippo, if I may? Is your Tacx thing one that shows where you are riding on screen and then automatically makes the resistance lighter / harder according to the terrain? So if you are climbing Mt Ventoux it is really hard, but easier on the way down?

Can I ask how you find this? Does it work and is it a good motivator? I've ben trying to ride on the turbo trainer over the winter, but find it mind numbing - I end up staring at the garage floor or the same cardboard box time and time again, so get to about 8 miles and am bored stiff. Thinking for next winter I might need to do something else to avoid the usual 2/3 months of apathy!

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Yes, rpmk, that is the one. Basically there are two versions - the I-Magic and the Fortius - the Fortius has a motor brake and better graphics but you need a much better computer spec. I have the I-Magic but have upgraded the software to Fortius. The Real Life Videos that I have are the Aube Valley and Mount Ventoux. I have attempted the climb up Ventoux and it is tough but the descent is fast! Never having cycles Ventoux, I can't comment on how realistic it is but comparing the descent with other long descents that I have done I would say that it is.

Is it a good motivator? In some respects then I would say it is a bit too good. There are many different virtual reality courses on both the I-Magic and Fortius software. All of them have opponents built in and when you complete a course then your name and time is added to the list, you can also cycle solo if you want to. My problem is that I am always trying to beat my pb!

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/ ... xvideo.flv - video of solo ride with I-Magic software

Ex-XXL weigh-in :14/15 April
    Update published : Monday 16 April
  • rpmk
    Thanks for that Mr Hippo. That looks a lot more interesting than the back of my garage door, so may well be tempted come next winter. I like the idea of doing something like the Paris - Roubaix or cols of the TdF without the hassle of going there (and the ability to do them over a few days!). Also could be a good excuse for a cheap lcd projector to get full effect!!

Incidentally my wife's (put down, I think!) view was "isn't that what was on Belleville Rendezvous?" ... which I guess will only make sense if you've seen it!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    That looks interesting - what happens if you crash !

On a serious note, can you hook it up online and compete against other real riders ?
  • mr_hippo
    If you have the steering frame option, you can set the collision mode to on or off. In the 'off' mode, you just 'ghost' through your opponents or they 'ghost' through you. With the collision mode on, please put the volume up to max, you will stop and hear a realistic bike crash sound; the first time I 'crashed' my wife heard it and thought that I had fell off the bike!
    There are virtual leagues where you compete against other real riders and upload your stats. I believe that there are on-line competitions but I have not gone into it yet.

• DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

Just waiting for a few more of the regulars to weigh-in before I post the new table. I had a shock on Friday, jumped onto the scales and I had put on 5lbs! Spent a few hours on the TACX over the weekend and weighed myself earlier; the weight is not now +5 but +0.6 - next time hopefully less than 300!
    Today's TACX ride was in the Aube Valley in France, a nice undulating 50 miler with some nice long hills, and I mean long!, just done 32 miles and the electric went off and lost all my data - have to try the whole course later.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you guys weigh yourself at the same time of day each time? I do it first thing in a morning which i believe is the most reliable to check out weight gain/loss.
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do you guys weigh yourself at the same time of day each time? I do it first thing in a morning which i believe is the most reliable to check out weight gain/loss.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes first thing in the morning here to.

Also find that this is when I'm lightest [;)]

My bikes:
    http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=29099&i=291574
    http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=29099&i=317809
  • pigsail
    pigsail Posts: 7
    yes second thing in the morning straight after going to the bog. you can loose nealy 1 lb that way[xx(]

A hill, a hill, my Kingdom for a slight incline!
    A hill, a hill, my Kingdom for a slight incline!
  • mr_hippo
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/ ... o/0705.gif

I see some of you have been eating Easter Eggs. There are none available here but if anyone wants to send me a box of Godiva chocolates, they will be appreciated!

• AngusDe
    AngusDe Posts: 25
    Hey....

I've droped off the table, lol.......

Probably because I've not weighed in yet (still off the top of the houshold scales...)......

And I'm actually only into my 3rd week of my commute by bike/train.

When I finally get myself weighed can I join again?

Anyway guys, keep it up, I continue to read with interest!

Angus
  • mr_hippo
    Angus, you are still on the table. In future I will publish the complete table including those who have not weighed in.

• dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    Oh dear ... I really am doing awfully. In my defence, I have just started cycling again properly the last few weeks, and the 4/5lbs I just put on has coincided with a decrease in waist size. I know, I know ... a flimsy excuse. I shall try harder!

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • mr_hippo
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dakid</i>

Oh dear ... I really am doing awfully. In my defence, I have just started cycling again properly the last few weeks, and the 4/5lbs I just put on has coincided with a decrease in waist size. I know, I know ... a flimsy excuse. I shall try harder!

<i>Mark Twain</i>

I don't think any of us are doing badly. You say that you have put on 4/5lbs but have taken inches off your waistline. Are you feeling any fitter? Do you feel any better? I, too, have put weight on but my thighs and calves are now a lot more solid and my shorts do not have the instant 'roll down off the gut' feature! Just keep at it, enjoy the cycling and we will get there in the end.

• rpmk
    Maybe we should get some custom cycling jerseys printed up, but only order them in medium as an incentive? [:)]

Seriously, I'd be happy having other people see me as "fit" looking, being aerobically fitter and yet weighing what I do today. Of course, if I could be lighter too it would be a bonus!

• I think it's really great having so many "friends" with the same goal and at the same time not taking things too serious I think we all deserve a pat on the back...pity you can't do that over the internet
  • Mygo
    Mygo Posts: 14
    Hello All,

Easter Eggs have done for me this past week but the fact that I still have a box of 6 cream eggs in the fridge is strangely encouraging. Normally they would be gone in the first hour with the rest of my easter haul!.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mygo</i>

Hello All,

Easter Eggs have done for me this past week but the fact that I still have a box of 6 cream eggs in the fridge is strangely encouraging. Normally they would be gone in the first hour with the rest of my easter haul!.

My current weakness is jelly babies....
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

I don't think any of us are doing badly. You say that you have put on 4/5lbs but have taken inches off your waistline. Are you feeling any fitter? Do you feel any better? I, too, have put weight on but my thighs and calves are now a lot more solid and my shorts do not have the instant 'roll down off the gut' feature! Just keep at it, enjoy the cycling and we will get there in the end.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good points, well made. All I have to do is just curb my appetite slightly, and the weight really should just fall off ... it's almost like it'd be easy with the cycling I'm doing, if only I could stop ordering Indians!! Mmmm ... onion bhajees.

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • FrankK
    FrankK Posts: 38
    I don't want to appear to be trying to make you guys suck eggs but have any of you tried to regulate what what you are eating. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat so to loose 2lb in a week your going to have to be in deficit by about 1000 cals a day.
    Talk of Lucozade and Mars bars after a short ride was where I was going wrong at the start.
    It's far easier to cut out the crap than trying to ride it off on a once a week bike ride, trust me I've been there done it and plateaued.
    The real gains didn't come until I'd got the diet right coutesey of the British Heart Foundation. I see a lot of blokes on here making the same mistakes I did. You can't beat the road for giving you a workout, the road didn't care that I was carrying an extra 7 stone but my heart did.
    My turbo is now a œ100 bikestand. My total loss for a year on the BHF diet and exercise plan was 6 stone so it can be done. The secret is regulating your eating and doing regular exercise not one off efforts once a week.
    Keep up the good work but be under no illusion about hard it is going to be.
    Regards,
    Frank.
  • mr_hippo
    Thanks for your encouraging words, Frank. I don't think any of us are 'weekend warriors' and try to do it with just one ride a week. There are many different diets and what works for you may not work for me. As a former nurse with over 30 years experience, the only diets that I would not recommend are the starvation and faddy diets. Some members have had Easter eggs - the occasional treat is beneficial. Some people say eat smaller portions but serve them on a smaller plate so it looks as if it is the same amount.

• sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    there are no "occassions" in my life now until my next child is born in august. i will probably have a blowout then. the next one will be xmas, then birthday and easter again. i plan to tailor my efforts to counteract these events by having 3/4 month plans and targets, then i can still have my treats when the time is appropriate.

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • DLB
    Well guys i don't know whether this will encourage you or not but i for one am trying hard at the minute to exercise hard when i can on he bike and not over eat. And i'm enjoying every minute of it.

And i'm going to hit the target weight loss of 3 pounds set on this forum.

Hope it's going well for the rest of you
  • mr_hippo
    rpmk, check http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/ ... entoux.flv - TACX real life video of the start of Mount Ventoux descent. The views - graphics, graphics/video. video/stats or full video can be switched by the handlebar unit.

I have started a blog - http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/ I will be putting on a piece about the Ex-XXXL Trophy and would like to have your photos (cycling or not) and a short bio to put onto the page.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in :28/29 April
    Update published : Monday 30 April
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    well DLB i have also tried to be slightly more serious about my weight loss this week after last weeks disaster and i have kept up with the regular cycling and also watched what i am eating.
  • DLB
    good on you Kev.

let's see if we hit our targets next week..
  • Lets face it, half the fun is trying, he says laughingly.....who am I kidding?
  • rpmk
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...video of the start of Mount Ventoux descent.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I thought read that initially as "ascent" and was mightily impressed by your climbing speed, Mr Hippo ... or should I say "Lance"!? [:D] Then, I thought I'd check your post again, and realised my mistake!

It is kind of hypnotic, isn't it ... you really do get a sense of going along a road, which is quite cool after staring at a garage door previously. Oh dear, Mrs RPMK ain't gonna like this as I want one for next winter now!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have started a blog - http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/ I will be putting on a piece about the Ex-XXXL Trophy and would like to have your photos (cycling or not) and a short bio to put onto the page.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Will sort something out for you over the weekend.

Cheers,
    Richard.

• mr_hippo
    I have just put a piece on the blog about Ex-XXL, your comments will be appreciated

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in :28/29 April
    Update published : Monday 30 April
  • Spot on with the blog. I think I've got an affinity with that bloke on the bike though(Just got in from a 12 mile loop,and a bus driver cut me up..A** HOLE.. funny how morons can spoil a pleasant afternoon)
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    fantastic blog mr hippo