The Ex-XXL Trophy

Comments

• DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by srw647</i>

You don't need to cycle to lose weight (heresy!) We once went on a fortnight's holiday to Italy (Rome and Siena), ate out every night and a lot of lunchtimes and both came back half a stone lighter. Just be active and don't eat and drink too much.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree mate, but the reason i have lost weight is bacause of my cycling. I'm unlikely to lose any on holiday.

*** Why has my rear wheel just overtaken me..? ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    sloxham are you up for a challenge by next weigh-in. do you think you can lose 3 lbs by then, something tells me you will fail.
    so are you up for it
    kev
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    an easter weekend with no bike and 14 family members on a p*ss up in ireland tells me that i will not lose 3 pounds in 2 weeks. you still need to live life and enjoy it. i am, are you kev?

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • pigsail
    pigsail Posts: 7
    My targets are
    Ultimately to loss 53.2 lbs by the end of the year.
    But on the way I want
    To lose 23.2 lbs by the 24th June (to become overweight and not obese)
    To do a metric ton before the end of August on the fixed
    And be fit enough to join a cycling club by Christmas

Ps .I'm up for the challenge Kev

Graham

A hill, a hill, my Kingdom for a slight incline!
    A hill, a hill, my Kingdom for a slight incline!
  • kev2b3
    i am just about to sit down to watch saw 3 with a can of cider by the side of me and a very large steak and kidney pie on my lap, later on i am popping down the pup with the wife for 3 or 4 more pints with my mate. yes i am enjoying life
  • kev2b3
    ok pigsail
    i challenge you to lose 3 lbs in the next two weeks mate
    are you up for it.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Judging by my lack of progress, I've no chnace but I'll give it a go!

Ex-XXL weigh-in :14/15 April
    Update published : Monday 16 April
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    I'm aiming to be at my target weight by the end of the year (12st7lb) so only 3st4lb to go! Actually, I'd be happy to be below the weight I was when I met my wife 10 years ago, so that lowers the loss required to a (slightly) less daunting 2st9lb.

In cycling terms, this year I am aiming to complete the Oxford to Cambridge BHF ride for the second time. Last year I rode for 5hrs21, but stopped for just over an hour too. This year, I want the elapsed time to be under 5hrs20.

I'm also hoping to cycle from home to watch my beloved Bath Rugby in Bath, so just over the 100 miles, which would also fulfil one of my other targets.

Next year, I think like a few others, I would like to feel confident about joining a club and start doing some group rides. Oh, and perhaps if I start now I might manage to convince my better half that spending lots of money on a new bike is worthwhile! [:D]

Hmm, that'll be enough to be going on with for now!

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • AngusDe
    AngusDe Posts: 25
    Feeling pleased with myself tonight.....

Finally picked the bike up, and cycled 7 miles on the way home (and train for the rest) and despite a bit of huffing and puffing and mixing it with Edinburgh rush hour traffic I'm still alive....

...so sitting here with a wee smile on my face and great plans for the weekend!

Angus
  • kev2b3
    well done angusde
    keep it up mate
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    hello everyone
    had a very bad couple of weeks,my new taxi has been giving me so much grief(not bad for œ35000[:(!]) ive spent more time at the garage than i've wanted to!!!instead of being on two wheels before work but fingers crossed alls well i now have the perfect opportunity this weekend .

TARGETS
    1.4 stone loss is my target by the time i leave the University College Hospital as a cancer outpatient next February
    2.take part in L2B
    3.WEAR A PAIR OF SHINY LYCRA SHORTS[:D]

kev,i can promise i will lose 3 pounds by next weigh in !!!

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • rpmk
    Hey urrrrrrs, do you work Central London and do you do take bookings? In all seriousnesss I'm coming to London for a meeting on 19/4 and can't stand the tube, so it'd be Euston to Canary Wharf and back.

Rather talk to someone about cycling than the usual football ... I'm a rugby fan and know nothing about football, but I still seem to end up discussing how poorly Spurs and/or Millwall are playing ! [:)]

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    rpmk,
    unfortunately i work afternoons into the evenings/nights so wouldnt be able to take you to canary wharf,you should be able to get a cab from euston no problems depends on what time you arrive in london(ie rush hour).do you know what time the meeting will end etc?? drop us a email with details etc and i'll try and help

unfortunately also i know nowt about egg-chasing[:D] lots on football,i am quite new to cycling so for once i will shut up and stop gas-bagging and you can give me a lecture on cycling and immigration [:D] blah blah blah

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • rpmk
    Meeting finishes at 5pm, so should be do-able! I'll drop you a mail later today with info.

Cheers
    Richard.

• kev2b3
    ok urrrrrrrrrs the 3 lb challenge is on
    best of luck mate
    kev
  • tentonnehammer
    tentonnehammer Posts: 2,805
    <i>Originally posted by urrrrrrrrrs</i>

hello everyone
    had a very bad couple of weeks,my new taxi has been giving me so much grief(not bad for œ35000[:(!]) ive spent more time at the garage than i've wanted to!!!

Hey urrrrrrrrrrs, I am about to see if I can sort out my own taxi in the next couple of months. I jacked in full time office work about 18 months ago to do a degree but need to work as well. Had set meself up as a window cleaner but the winter was bad due to a combination of crap weather and a stupid university schedule. I am trying to sort out a taxi because it doesnt matter if its raining or windy and you can work your taxi in the dark.
  • kev2b3
    only one more week to lose those pounds.
    hows everyone doing?
  • mr_hippo
    Not been feeling too well all week so mileage has been down. I have decided to do less on the TACX I-Magic and more on the road but unfortunately, cannot do this for at least two weeks. It's Thai New Year - Songkran - once celebrated by sprinkling water on the hands of the elderly has now progressed to full scale water fights. We now have highly modified 'super soakers', pick-ups driving round with large water butts in the back and the passengers throwing water over everyone, high pressure water hoses and some nasty people even put noxious substances in the throwing water. I don't mind riding in the rain, what I do object to is having 5 gallons of water and ice thrown at me unexpectedly. Road deaths during this period normally increase four-fold during Songkran.
    My PC is getting fixed tomorrow so, hopefully, I will be able to run TACX Fortius on it and the Real Life Videos so i may be doing some spinning down Mt Ventoux again.

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

Not been feeling too well all week so mileage has been down. I have decided to do less on the TACX I-Magic and more on the road but unfortunately, cannot do this for at least two weeks.
    I managed to get out today and do a 110km DIY Audax in North Yorkshire to add to last Sundays 102km Audax. All being well I'll get in a further 100km this Sunday, 100km mid week next week and then a <i><b>very hilly </b></i> 60km Audax a week on Sunday then it's back to one 100km ride per week.
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kev2b3</i>

hows everyone doing?

Don't know. I get on the scales once a fortnight.
  • rpmk
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kev2b3

hows everyone doing?

I've have always weighed in a Monday, so have stuck to that and just report it at the end of the week for this ... I guess as long as the intervals are two weekly it makes no odds, but it does mean that I only have 3 days left!

Doing well though - last week I lost 3.5lb and after today's 60 miler was down by another 4.5lb. Ok, some of that is going to be fluid loss, but I'm hopeful I can maintain at least some of the loss .. well, at least until weigh in anyway! [:D]

This means that I am now the lightest I have been for a very long time (at least 5 years), so feeling very enthusiastic now and it just shows that exercise and a proper balanced diet can work (not "dieting", but just a proper diet).

• kev2b3
    dont you find after doing that sort of mileage, that all you want to do is eat afterwards. i just finished a 30 mile ride which i done in 2hrs and 12 min, i got home had a shower, had some food then slept for 20 min and woke up staving.just wondering if you use a bike computer and what sort of calories are you losing. according to my computer i lost 1669 calories.just like vernonlevy i only weigh 1 day before ex xxl weigh-in but saying that my jeans are getting looser.

<font color="red"><font size="2">mr hippo i hope you feel better soon</font id="size2"></font id="red">
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

Not been feeling too well all week so mileage has been down. I have decided to do less on the TACX I-Magic and more on the road but unfortunately, cannot do this for at least two weeks.

I don't think that I'd be able to ride at all in Thailand. The ambient temperature and humidity would kill me before the wayward motorists do.

I'm sure that I was a slug in a previous life[:p]
  • rpmk
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">dont you find after doing that sort of mileage, that all you want to do is eat afterwards. i just finished a 30 mile ride which i done in 2hrs and 12 min, i got home had a shower, had some food then slept for 20 min and woke up staving.just wondering if you use a bike computer and what sort of calories are you losing. according to my computer i lost 1669 calories.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Funnily enough, no. I think I've got so used to cutting back that I am concious about blowing all my good work! My wife is amazed - in the 10 years we've been together she's never known me turn down snacks, but now I just can't be bothered with them.

In calorie terms today's ride was 4989 and done with two pieces of toast, peanut butter / jam before I went out, and two small flapjacks and Lucozade Sport whilst I was out. Felt a bit rough towards the end, so probably needed more fluid / fuel, but still didn't need to eat when I got back, although I did want a snooze that was denied by the in-laws appearing 10 minutes after I got home![:(!]

• srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kev2b3</i>

hows everyone doing?

Badly. I've just got back from a 75-odd mile two-day trip on the (mildly loaded) tandem, including a haul of a mile up onto the Chiltern ridge (OK, then, three-quarters of a haul and a quarter of a push). Weighed in before my shower and I'd put on 2 pounds since last weekend. Grrrr. I've done seven hours in the saddle in two days, of which about a third was hilly. That must be several thousand calories, surely? I know I've not stinted on the food, but it's been very difficult to balance what I need to keep going with what I need not to eat to lose weight.

Hopefully it'll just fall off again. Hopefully.
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by srw647</i>

hows everyone doing?

Badly. I've just got back from a 75-odd mile two-day trip on the (mildly loaded) tandem, including a haul of a mile up onto the Chiltern ridge (OK, then, three-quarters of a haul and a quarter of a push). Weighed in before my shower and I'd put on 2 pounds since last weekend. Grrrr. I've done seven hours in the saddle in two days, of which about a third was hilly. That must be several thousand calories, surely? I know I've not stinted on the food, but it's been very difficult to balance what I need to keep going with what I need not to eat to lose weight.

Hopefully it'll just fall off again. Hopefully.

When I used to meticulously weigh myself daily during an Atkins Diet phase (agains the diet's advice) I found that my weight loss would peak two/three days after a ride. There's too much going on to be able to determine true weight loss immediately after a ride. There's usually fluid imbalances and sometimes several meals awaiting egress.
  • mr_hippo
    My PC is now fixed - but for how long? - and I can now run TACX Fortius and Real Life Video again. I decided to push myself on a fairly short run this morning, the 15.1 mile descent of Mount Ventoux. How did I do?

Road bike - gear 53/12
    15.1 miles in 28 mins 03 secs
    Max speed 50.7 mph Average 32.4 mph
    Max power 353 watts Average power 164 watts
    Max cadence 100 Average cadence 75
    Max pulse 218 bpm Average pulse 137
    My pulse was up and down for the first 5 miles but steadied out, the last 10 miles it was between 125 and 145.

I might get on the bike later today but do the same route at a more sedate pace!

• kev2b3
    just finished a 20 mile ride,because one of my aims is to ride the dragon ride next year i made sure this route was quite a hilly ride and done it in 1hour and 36 mins my avg speed was 13.3 mph and according to computer i lost 1239 cals. i was overtaken by the ogmore valley wheelers and i kept up with them for about 30 seconds maybe next year i will be able to keep up with them for 60 secs, who knows.
  • vernonlevy

just finished a 20 mile ride,because one of my aims is to ride the dragon ride next year i made sure this route was quite a hilly ride and done it in 1hour and 36 mins my avg speed was 13.3 mph and according to computer i lost 1239 cals. i was overtaken by the ogmore valley wheelers and i kept up with them for about 30 seconds maybe next year i will be able to keep up with them for 60 secs, who knows.

I did a 72 mile hilly ride to prepare for an AAA (hilly) rated Audax next weekend. Leeds to Pately Bridge via Otley is a killer and after using bikely www.bikely.com to plot the route and get an estimate of the amount of climbing I was pleased to see that I'd done 1280m or thereabouts. However I plugged the climbing into the spreadsheet that awards altitude points to Audax rides and my climbing counted for nowt. I needed to get 1500m of climbing in to rate the ride at a quarter point. Apart from that set back and the very windy conditions it was a grand day out with leisurely stops at Pately Bridge and Knaresborough.

My route can be seen at http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Le ... 10km-Audax

I'm really impressed with bikely.com. It's much better than www.gmap-pedometer.com at plotting gradient profiles.

I think I'll have the rest of the week off to recover from the mileage done over the past eight days. I'll not be doing anything ambitious like sportives unless I can lose 33% of my bodyweight at least. Looks like I'll have to be a patient chap [:p]
  • AngusDe
    AngusDe Posts: 25
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

I'm really impressed with bikely.com. It's much better than www.gmap-pedometer.com at plotting gradient profiles.

Really? I'll have to try it now, I'd assumed it was the same google maps based as the gmap one!

Angus