• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,666
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Cakeism is absolutely fundamental to both yours and the gov't's position Stevo.

I can see why you want people to 'move on'

There's not a lot of choice here Rick, unless you can get your hands on a time machine.

Unfortunately the decision has been made, the deed has been done, we are not going back anytime in the foreseeable and you are still sitting here producing evidence from Twitter or wherever to show how terrible this all is, while most of us have moved on.

Ever heard of the saying 'shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted? To add to the rather relevant spilt milk analogy.
    Are you not reading the reports that suggest the UK already wants to renegotiate?
    What, renegotiate to rejoin? News to me....
    No, the way in which we left.
    I know, but as I said above, we have left and we're not going back in the foreseeable. If there are changes to the detail that's one thing but it doesn't change the point above.
    We're all aware of that. The bleeding obvious. Really not sure why you keep going back to it.
    Because Rick still doesn't seem to be able to accept it. He's not alone to be fair.
    I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,393
    rjsterry said:

I think that's largely in your head.

Not mine. It's pretty apparent from his posts above.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,777
    It's possible to make the best of what's there (which everyone has to) and also think there can be improvements.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,077
    It's ironic that the loudest whinging is coming (still) from the Tory back benches.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

It's ironic that the loudest whinging is coming (still) from the Tory back benches.

Don't forget the DUP.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,077
    elbowloh said:

Don't forget the DUP.
    In fairness they're whinging because they've got their worst outcome.

The ERG got what they wanted, voted for it, did a lap of honour and are still whinging

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

elbowloh said:

Don't forget the DUP.
    In fairness they're whinging because they've got their worst outcome.

The ERG got what they wanted, voted for it, did a lap of honour and are still whinging

A totally foreseeable one though.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    I would like to report some good news.

UK exports of goods to non EU countries were up £200m in January
  • kingstongraham
    The report says that is from an increase of £300m in pharmaceutical exports, particularly to China and Japan, and attributes it to the UK singapore deal. Does that make sense, I thought that was a roll over?

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

There's not a lot of choice here Rick, unless you can get your hands on a time machine.

Unfortunately the decision has been made, the deed has been done, we are not going back anytime in the foreseeable and you are still sitting here producing evidence from Twitter or wherever to show how terrible this all is, while most of us have moved on.

Ever heard of the saying 'shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted? To add to the rather relevant spilt milk analogy.
    Are you not reading the reports that suggest the UK already wants to renegotiate?
    I know, but as I said above, we have left and we're not going back in the foreseeable. If there are changes to the detail that's one thing but it doesn't change the point above.
    We're all aware of that. The bleeding obvious. Really not sure why you keep going back to it.
    Because Rick still doesn't seem to be able to accept it. He's not alone to be fair.
    Explain then. Beats condescension every time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,440

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well when I wrote (quoted above)

“ Are you not reading the reports that suggest the UK already wants to renegotiate?”

You wrote

“ What, renegotiate to rejoin? News to me....”

Now, I was referring to the trade deal which the Uk is looking to renegotiate, not rejoining the EU.

Hence me suggesting you’re not understanding what I’m writing, as you thought I was referring to something else.

My point, to avoid confusion, was that the Uk is not even 3 whole months into the trade deal and it is already making noises that it is not fit for British purpose and so wants to renegotiate.

This leads me to believe even the govt thinks it’s not a success.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

“ Are you not reading the reports that suggest the UK already wants to renegotiate?”

You wrote

Now, I was referring to the trade deal which the Uk is looking to renegotiate, not rejoining the EU.

Hence me suggesting you’re not understanding what I’m writing, as you thought I was referring to something else.

My point, to avoid confusion, was that the Uk is not even 3 whole months into the trade deal and it is already making noises that it is not fit for British purpose and so wants to renegotiate.

I made the point that there is no rejoining in the foreseeable so save your energy for something else. You seem to be pinning your hopes on talks about some of the mechanics of the arrangement which is hardly likely to drag us back into the EU. Which is the one thing which will ever make you happy on this issue - sorry to disappoint.

Hopefully you're not so naive as to think nothing would ever change?

• Stevo_666
    edited March 2021
    ddraver said:

More value added contribution from our favourite customs inspector. Part of what I do work-wise is running a customs department - fancy being one of my minions? You could probably get a decent salary if you did ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,157
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You wrote

I made the point that there is no rejoining in the foreseeable so save your energy for something else. You seem to be pinning your hopes on talks about some of the mechanics of the arrangement which is hardly likely to drag us back into the EU. Which is the one thing which will ever make you happy on this issue - sorry to disappoint.

We can all see the point you were making; just wondering how it's in any way relevant to a conversation about attempts to subvert the TCA and NIP.

Literally the only person who keeps bringing up rejoining is you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,141
    Given the u turn is Boris's signature move, can we really rule out rejoining 😆
  • surrey_commuter

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You wrote

It makes you wonder what they got wrong

Maybe they thought all these legally binding agreements were just words and everybody would make practical decisions and life would continue as before.

They had no idea what they were doing

They are campaigners so the only objective was to get a deal and worry about the problems another day
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You wrote

We can all see the point you were making; just wondering how it's in any way relevant to a conversation about attempts to subvert the TCA and NIP.

Literally the only person who keeps bringing up rejoining is you.
    Yep, Steve has missed Rick's point again. It's Boris and his cronies who are trying to renegotiate the existing deal, no one is taking about rejoining.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,440

They had no idea what they were doing

The entirety of Johnson's life has been backroom discussions, nods and winks and chums. "Fa Fa waah, what house were you in at Eton? Wankstein? Ah did you know Nobber Jenkins? Spiffing chap eh? So...you'll just look the other way over this "little issue" in Northern Ireland waah"

It is perhaps not so surprising that the concept of "truth" and "rules" being the same today as they were yesterday is such a totally alien concept for him.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,477
    One can only assume they are trying to scupper the protocol in its entirety. This is too provocative to be a "Oh, sorry, can't we do that?" 'misstep'.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,157

One can only assume they are trying to scupper the protocol in its entirety. This is too provocative to be a "Oh, sorry, can't we do that?" 'misstep'.

That said, they folded on their previous threat and every other threat before that, so a last minute climbdown seems at least a possibility.

Certainly seems unlikely that Stevo will get his wish: Johnson seems intent on keeping this in the news.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    They aren't legislating to break the agreement now, just ignoring it. I don't know what happens then
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Hope is always the last thing to die ;)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,745
    Jezyboy said:

i can see the headlines in the mail/express: eu surrenders and joins uk, johnson declares victory
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2021
    Raab said: “The most overt political threat to the agreement and ultimately the Good Friday agreement has been the politicised way the EU has gone about things.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/17/dominic-raab-us-must-robust-eu-undermines-northern-ireland-peace/
  • rick_chasey
    Should look within his own party, as Gove is quite happy to tear it up.
  • surrey_commuter

he said that a long time ago have you checked he still holds those views?
  • rick_chasey

Yeah he said a few years ago he's happy there is peace but was deeply unhappy with both the negotiation and the actual agreement.

If it wasn't for the threat of terrorism and to peace (ironically, given the reason he puts forward for not liking the agreement), he would absolutely renegotiate.
  • surrey_commuter

Yeah he said a few years ago he's happy there is peace but was deeply unhappy with both the negotiation and the actual agreement.

If it wasn't for the threat of terrorism and to peace (ironically, given the reason he puts forward for not liking the agreement), he would absolutely renegotiate.
    that at least seems consistent with believing in sovereignty of the UK rather than a stick with which to hit the EU.

If he and others care about the UK then the Tories problems are only just beginning as I suspect many of them would throw NI over the side to get a purer Brexit