BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,450
    edited March 2021

Should look within his own party, as Gove is quite happy to tear it up.

Gove is no more, and it hasn't escaped those of us who work on the GB:NI border that he disappeared right at the time that he started talking almost-sense about the NI Protocol! Now we've got Frost back to talk absolute shite* again

(*a phrase I hear a lot and sounds great in an NI accent...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

If he and others care about the UK then the Tories problems are only just beginning as I suspect many of them would throw NI over the side to get a purer Brexit

What do you mean "would"?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,235
    Nice juxtaposition of the word Choice with the empty shelves.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Data shows collapse of UK food and drink exports post-Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/22/data-shows-collapse-of-uk-food-and-drink-exports-post-brexit

"Office of National Statistics figures released 10 days ago, showed UK exports of goods to the EU plunged by 40.7% in January, the biggest monthly decline in British trade for more than 20 years"

"Overall figures now show that food and drink exports collapsed in January, plunging overall by 75.5% year on year. Down to £256m from £1bn."
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,532
    elbowloh said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/22/data-shows-collapse-of-uk-food-and-drink-exports-post-brexit

"Office of National Statistics figures released 10 days ago, showed UK exports of goods to the EU plunged by 40.7% in January, the biggest monthly decline in British trade for more than 20 years"

"Overall figures now show that food and drink exports collapsed in January, plunging overall by 75.5% year on year. Down to £256m from £1bn."

Old news and partly down to the big pre Brexit 'stocking up' exercise the month before. The Feb and March figures should put this into context.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Old news and partly down to the big pre Brexit 'stocking up' exercise the month before. The Feb and March figures should put this into context.
    I steeled myself and clicked the link and was surprised to find a succinct and informative article. It is providing the detail behind last week’s headline numbers. Whilst some would have been down to stockpiling that can’t be the case for salmon and beef down 98 and 97%.

It quotes somebody in the HoL as waking from a long snooze and saying this is terrible and something must be done. They should get his butler to gently tell him that it has already been done
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2021

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

I steeled myself and clicked the link and was surprised to find a succinct and informative article. It is providing the detail behind last week’s headline numbers. Whilst some would have been down to stockpiling that can’t be the case for salmon and beef down 98 and 97%.

It quotes somebody in the HoL as waking from a long snooze and saying this is terrible and something must be done. They should get his butler to gently tell him that it has already been done
    If you have an insight into the figures for any other months this year, let us know. As mentioned, January was expected to be exceptional.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

If you have an insight into the figures for any other months this year, let us know. As mentioned, January was expected to be exceptional.
    Why do you think I mentioned fresh products?

Could you confirm the window for discussing January trade figures? I would hate to miss the vanishingly small gap between it being too early to say and it being old news and crying over spilled milk.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Why do you think I mentioned fresh products?

Could you confirm the window for discussing January trade figures? I would hate to miss the vanishingly small gap between it being too early to say and it being old news and crying over spilled milk.
    At a guess you mentioned one small part of of overall exports because that is where the largest percentage change might be, and possibly suits your agenda? I am more interested in the overall picture across all product categories and not just for the one month when a drop is expected.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,909
    You can't stockpile fresh food.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,101
    This trade deal with the US better be good.

We're currently paying all the costs of not aligning with EU agri-food standards (including the Irish Sea Border) while not actually diverging from EU standards

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,620

This trade deal with the US better be good.

It's going to be the easiest trade deal ever signed, which will both lower the cost of food whilst not lowering food safety standards and not decimate British farming.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    This is a good read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/22/brexit-deal-no-deal-trade-and-cooperation-agreement

Says also that January might not be as exceptional as some people think, as some elements of the TCA aren't even being applied yet.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,887
    edited March 2021
    The numbers are horrendous, and inevitably Brexit will be playing a big role in that, but the combo of a pandemic and the anachronism of the switch from in to out means you can't really tease apart what is brexit and what is panny d/the switch.

So you can't tell *how bad* it is, or will be.

But the numbers should be worrying regardless, because they are still people's livelihoods, and those kinds of drops aren't covered by things like furloughing.
  • surrey_commuter
    elbowloh said:

This is a good read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/22/brexit-deal-no-deal-trade-and-cooperation-agreement

Says also that January might not be as exceptional as some people think, as some elements of the TCA aren't even being applied yet.

The author has not figured out that the zealots are not driven by Brexit but by bringing down the EU and so draws the wrong conclusion that no-deal would solve anything

Don't forget that with the threat of no-deal there would have been stockpiling in December and is undoubtedly why exports of whiskey and chocolate would have been hammered in January but the same can not be said for fresh products such as salmon and beef.

Maybe we could all agree on what constitutes a disastrous outcome? How about total exports falling by 10% (so EU exports down by 20%)
  • Stevo_666

No shyte sherlock. The linked report refers to food and drink generally, which is not all fresh.
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

This is a good read:

I don't see too many facts in there to support that argument. Looks like a case of hopeful speculation by the Guardian.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

No shyte sherlock. The linked report refers to food and drink generally, which is not all fresh.
    Did you read it?
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:
    I honestly think you have been taken in by a spoof story - check out the clunky wording of the working title and consider the acronym handily spet out in capitals

it has a working title of Festival UK 2022
  • ddraver
    It's real - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_London_Economic

The quality of it's reporting may be lacking a little mind...
    - @ddraver
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    The London Economic is absolutely woeful. The Express of the Left.
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:

It's real - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_London_Economic

The quality of it's reporting may be lacking a little mind...

they may have been spoofed or a disgruntled (soon to be ex ) member of staff is taking revenge early.

An organisation called FUK2022 is spending £120m celebrating 10 aspects of Britain and the one that they highlight is the weather

somebody somewhere is having a laugh
  • ddraver
    I mean...we come back to the cupboard of Brexit benefits looking rather bare again. I guess...it's a bit windy...so...windmills? 🤔

Something about Cornish beaches and Poldark...? There has been a lot of germans walking the coast path since we crashed the pound.

There's got to be something else that needs rain... Buxton water?

;)
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    What's going on in Northern Ireland then?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,495
    Dammit, it only needed two new posts to move this off the front page and hopefully into the oblivion of page 2.
  • kingstongraham
    I found it on page 5
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Dammit, it only needed two new posts to move this off the front page and hopefully into the oblivion of page 2.

I was thinking that as well.

We may be nearly all whinged out on this one, it seems to be going the same way as the Trump thread :)
  • kingstongraham
    edited April 2021
    Moan moan moan.
    You don't have to post.