BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Can I say that having spent so long in the denial phase we seem to be combining anger and bargaining so can almost see the acceptance light at the end of the tunnel.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,620

Can I say that having spent so long in the denial phase we seem to be combining anger and bargaining so can almost see the acceptance light at the end of the tunnel.

That's a splendidly positive attitude.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,911

Who is this referring to? I can see denial, anger and bargaining in different parts of the brexit camp, and anger and acceptance happily sitting together in those who were in the remain camp.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,235
    First Frost and his "sovereign equals" now this. 😂😂😂

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter

Who is this referring to? I can see denial, anger and bargaining in different parts of the brexit camp, and anger and acceptance happily sitting together in those who were in the remain camp.
    I see SteveO as reporting the view of the DT/Govt and was thinking specifically about the (non) border in the Irish Sea.

In a couple of weeks they have gone from denial to anger/bargaining
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,532
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well somebody had to say it:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/06/lord-frost-tells-eu-stop-sulking-brexit-make-success/

In case its behind a paywall:
    Lord Frost tells EU to stop sulking over Brexit and make a success of it

PM's Europe adviser says jabs rollout has shown the benefits of leaving the bloc, and how the UK can play a bigger international role

Brussels must stop sulking over the UK’s decision to leave the European Union and work to make Brexit a success, Boris Johnson’s Europe adviser has said.

Lord Frost says the EU should “shake off any remaining ill will towards us for leaving, and instead build a friendly relationship, between sovereign equals”.

Well said Frosty. Also sound advice for some people on this thread, as I've said myself before ;)

nonsense, he's continuing the government's increasingly desperate attempts to put lipstick on the brexit pig and stoke up the gullible masses, one must assume you're trolling otherwise you'd have to be one of them to believe such rubbish

why should the eu "work to make Brexit a success"? that'd be against it's interests, the eu's interest is to take business from the uk, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

"sovereign equals", delusional jingoism, the brexiters chose to weaken the uk, now they don't like being the weaker party in negotiations, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

never met frost, but he comes across as a pathetic whiner
    If you look at the adticle it quotes a few examples of EU bad faith. Whatever your view of Brexit, it can still be said that the EU is having a sulk about us leaving. IMO of course.

In the end this thread post 2020 is largely a big sulk about something that has already happened, so I did expect a bit of
    solidarity with the poor old, sulky EU.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So when we're in the EU and things are shoite, it's the EU's fault.

Now we're out of the EU and things are shoite, it's the EU's fault.

Sovereignty also means we take responsibility for "our" own problems and mistakes.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,101
    Still wondering what the EU need to do to make Brexit a success, and if they don't do this thing, will Brexit fail?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/06/lord-frost-tells-eu-stop-sulking-brexit-make-success/

PM's Europe adviser says jabs rollout has shown the benefits of leaving the bloc, and how the UK can play a bigger international role

Brussels must stop sulking over the UK’s decision to leave the European Union and work to make Brexit a success, Boris Johnson’s Europe adviser has said.

Lord Frost says the EU should “shake off any remaining ill will towards us for leaving, and instead build a friendly relationship, between sovereign equals”.

Well said Frosty. Also sound advice for some people on this thread, as I've said myself before ;)

nonsense, he's continuing the government's increasingly desperate attempts to put lipstick on the brexit pig and stoke up the gullible masses, one must assume you're trolling otherwise you'd have to be one of them to believe such rubbish

why should the eu "work to make Brexit a success"? that'd be against it's interests, the eu's interest is to take business from the uk, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

"sovereign equals", delusional jingoism, the brexiters chose to weaken the uk, now they don't like being the weaker party in negotiations, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

If you look at the adticle it quotes a few examples of EU bad faith. Whatever your view of Brexit, it can still be said that the EU is having a sulk about us leaving. IMO of course.

In the end this thread post 2020 is largely a big sulk about something that has already happened, so I did expect a bit of
    Even your beloveds don't like the agreement already.
  • elbowloh
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

It seems to me that it's the UK government who is sulking as they can't have their cake and eat it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

It seems to me that it's the UK government who is sulking as they can't have their cake and eat it.
    Clearly you aren’t getting it.

UK good, Eu bad.
  • kingstongraham
    Honestly, for £67.50 someone could get nigel to send a personalised message to the forum thanking us for our help.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,495
    edited March 2021
    Well it's sent that Dr Shola off on a rage about it all being about racism and the royal family built on racism based on comments made in a one sided interview.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,888
    edited March 2021

Is anyone surprised?

BuT iT wIlL bE bEtTeR tHaN ErAsMuS
  • elbowloh
    Another lie exposed.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,450
    edited March 2021
    I mean this was an obvious one (this was when I realised seasonaires were fuc3ed basically too).

The other thing that isn't on the slide is that there is nowhere in the world that wants to do this with us anyway.

*US - are they really going to swap a years fees from a full paying student for a miserable UK 9G? lol

*Canada - Intelligent Canadians are already bilingual so they want to go somewhere to learn another language (Manc doesn't count - sorry Mancs)

*China/Korea/Japan - lectures in Mandarin/Korean/Japanese (see also S. America)

*Aus/NZ - it may have escaped brexiters notice but they re on the other side of the world. As a result, their academic years are backwards. Plus all the intelligent students did it on the gaap yaah anyway (the ones that didn't do ski seasons at least)

...erm...

*Middle East? - issues for 51% of the student body

*India or Africa?- kind of a one way flow of students only
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    British students for British education.
  • rick_chasey

• surrey_commuter

That was all very promising until the 3rd para

usual provisos about stockpiling apply - do they have the figures for December?
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not the way I read it. Got a link to evidence for the UK sulking?

The Cake thing is a bit old now don't you think? Time to move on and think of another moany soundbite to show your displeasure.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Cakeism is absolutely fundamental to both yours and the gov't's position Stevo.

I can see why you want people to 'move on'
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

The Cake thing is a bit old now don't you think? Time to move on and think of another moany soundbite to show your displeasure.
    do you think they have realised they can not avoid any downsides from Brexit?
  • Stevo_666

Cakeism is absolutely fundamental to both yours and the gov't's position Stevo.

I can see why you want people to 'move on'

There's not a lot of choice here Rick, unless you can get your hands on a time machine.

Unfortunately the decision has been made, the deed has been done, we are not going back anytime in the foreseeable and you are still sitting here producing evidence from Twitter or wherever to show how terrible this all is, while most of us have moved on.

Ever heard of the saying 'shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted? To add to the rather relevant spilt milk analogy.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

All or just any?

Who is they?
  • elbowloh
    edited March 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Frost accusing the EU of sulking is itself a sulk!

He negotiated the deal and now wants to tear up sections of it. He either got a bad deal or he negotiated in bad faith and the plan was to never follow it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

All or just any?

Who is they?
    Cakeism was the stated policy of this Govt towards Brexit, I was just wondering if your suggestion that we moved on from it meant you thought the Govt had moved on
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,263
    The idea that Brexit is a completed deal is quite funny.
    The emphasis is on the word "deal".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

The idea that Brexit is a completed deal is quite funny.
    The emphasis is on the word "deal".

Brussels will continue you to be the perpetual war in 1984 to distract from local problems.

We were not thrown out, we chose to leave and then we chose to leave on the hardest possible terms then as a separate sovereign state we voluntarily negotiated, agreed and signed up to the terms of our departure and future relationship.

Days later as the downsides become apparent who is to blame?