BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Irish reunification fine by me. It's an inevitable demographic driven outcome accelerated by Brexit.

Just have to hope that not too many innocent lives are ruined/taken in the next few years by paramilitaries.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,909

ddraver said:

Northern Ireland then?

I now finish every call pointing out that if they switch suppliers to an EU one, all of this goes away...

We're also just now reaching the point where people are getting bills for Duty for moving goods within the UK. Which is fun...

Looked at the Belfast Telegraph this morning, and it's all quiet there on the Brexit front...
    "Tensions have soared within the loyalist community in recent months over post-Brexit trading arrangements, which it is claimed have created barriers between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Anger ramped up further last week following a controversial decision not to prosecute 24 Sinn Fein politicians for attending a large-scale republican funeral during Covid-19 restrictions."

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

ddraver said:

Northern Ireland then?

I now finish every call pointing out that if they switch suppliers to an EU one, all of this goes away...

We're also just now reaching the point where people are getting bills for Duty for moving goods within the UK. Which is fun...

Looked at the Belfast Telegraph this morning, and it's all quiet there on the Brexit front...
    "Tensions have soared within the loyalist community in recent months over post-Brexit trading arrangements, which it is claimed have created barriers between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Anger ramped up further last week following a controversial decision not to prosecute 24 Sinn Fein politicians for attending a large-scale republican funeral during Covid-19 restrictions."

I just don't know how many more times Boris has to tell them that this is just not true, if they can not comprehend simple English then I don't see what more he an do.
  • kingstongraham

ddraver said:

Northern Ireland then?

I just don't know how many more times Boris has to tell them that this is just not true, if they can not comprehend simple English then I don't see what more he an do.
    He even said last year there would only be a border in the Irish Sea over his dead body, and you can't get more clear than that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,495

Pross said:

Honest question, why are people so relaxed about the NI problem?

In my case it's pure ignorance. I don't understand the issues at all, they aren't affecting me obviosuly in any way and I'm not hearing much, if anything, about it on news reports.
    Fair enough. I was 10 when they signed the GFA, but I've worked in a building they bombed out for a few years and there were a quite a few reminders of it there, which brings it home a bit.
    Ah, I'm aware of the 'Troubles' having lived through most of their duration. I travelled across NI with my friends family in 1986 and it was a real eye opener. We stayed a few days in Larne which was a pretty safe Unionist area (although we did see some scuffles after an Orange march) but also managed to take a wrong turn on our way through Derry and found ourselves in a British registered car travelling through an area with tricolour painted kerbs so turned around very quickly! I thought you were referring more to the direct impact of Brexit on NI rather than the risks of returning to that sort of thing.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

What's going on in Northern Ireland then?

The EU have pushed a maximum gain for themselves and Ireland and failed to realise that the GFA is a truce. The truce has now been broken as surprise surprise a fair number of Northern Irelands residents have a view that they should have unrestricted trade with the UK.
    Bloody EU. I knew it was all their fault.
    I am not suggesting it is however I have zero faith that th EU will be sympathetic to unionists thoughts or seek to address them. Maybe when Ireland has some bombs going off in Belfast they will get the picture.
  • kingstongraham
    john80 said:

john80 said:

The EU have pushed a maximum gain for themselves and Ireland and failed to realise that the GFA is a truce. The truce has now been broken as surprise surprise a fair number of Northern Irelands residents have a view that they should have unrestricted trade with the UK.
    I am not suggesting it is however I have zero faith that th EU will be sympathetic to unionists thoughts or seek to address them. Maybe when Ireland has some bombs going off in Belfast they will get the picture.
    What they going to do to solve the "no border but there's a border" problem that they forced on us?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,776
    Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Meanwhile Brexit spells the end of Bargain Hunt and Antiques Roadshow. Brexiters will be furious...

(Me...less so 🥱)
    I guess this is what passes for headline news on Brexit these days. That tells us what we need to know :)
    yep, tells us that even when things reach the very dregs of commerce, there's still no upside to brexit
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,776
    john80 said:

john80 said:

the eu didn't cause it, why should it care?

fanatic nationalists of the sovereign uk caused this situation, johnson has been very clear how great his deal is, that there is no border between the uk and ni, and that all is wonderful, the holy brexit is immaculate, fly the jolly flag, rah rah

the dup should've turned down johnson's bribe

instead, they showed their venality and lack of integrity, sold out to a proven liar and traitor, and got shafted
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Well the EU will care because Eire is part of the EU. Having said that, they really aren't the ones responsible. We shot ourselves in the foot with brexit, not just the vote, but the deal also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited April 2021
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/northern-ireland-dishonesty-over-brexit-fuelled-loyalist-anger-says-stormont-minister

‘Dishonesty’ over Brexit fuelled loyalist anger, says Stormont minister

I suppose the question is "did people believe the promises made that there would be no border in the Irish Sea" when Brexit was proposed, voted for, deal negotiated and deal agreed, in spite of all the evidence and logic pointing to the contrary?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    I be the Unionists wished they'd voted for Theresa Mays deal now.

I'm unsure how they didn't see the stitch up coming from Johnson. Even after the deal was announced and they realised they'd been sold down the river Sammy Wilson was still cock-a-hoop about leaving the EU.

Unionists should be angry but with the DUP.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,450
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham

I'm unsure how they didn't see the stitch up coming from Johnson. Even after the deal was announced and they realised they'd been sold down the river Sammy Wilson was still censored -a-hoop about leaving the EU.

They could always see someone was getting stitched up and lied to, they are just unlucky in this instance it was them.

That's the thing with this government, everyone knows they aren't reliable, but as long as enough people think that it's only someone else that's being lied to and let down, they'll stay in front.
  • surrey_commuter

I'm unsure how they didn't see the stitch up coming from Johnson. Even after the deal was announced and they realised they'd been sold down the river Sammy Wilson was still censored -a-hoop about leaving the EU.

They could always see someone was getting stitched up and lied to, they are just unlucky in this instance it was them.

That's the thing with this government, everyone knows they aren't reliable, but as long as enough people think that it's only someone else that's being lied to and let down, they'll stay in front.
    It would be good to put the Unionist Leadership on a lie detector and ask when they knew they were being lied to. Not sure why the politicians have only just admitted it but the brick chuckers anger seems to be linked to the lighter evenings
  • ddraver
    They do appreciate a symbol in Northern Ireland...

- @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Illustrates the scale of the problem...

"What we need from you Arlene is a simple tweet condemning the violence and not inflaming any furth tens...oh for fecks sake..."
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,620
    ddraver said:

They do appreciate a symbol in Northern Ireland...

Is that a Brexit Beacon?
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

It would be good to put the Unionist Leadership on a lie detector and ask when they knew they were being lied to. Not sure why the politicians have only just admitted it but the brick chuckers anger seems to be linked to the lighter evenings
    They've known as long as the WA was agreed and as was pointed out on this thread a boringly, tedious amount of times. They misled the people they are supposed to represent and then now cry wolf.

The Bobby Storey funeral is seemingly the straw that broke the camels back.

Hopefully calm heads prevail. The progress made in NI has been astonishing. It's such a beautiful part of the world and the people are magic.
  • surrey_commuter

They've known as long as the WA was agreed and as was pointed out on this thread a boringly, tedious amount of times. They misled the people they are supposed to represent and then now cry wolf.

Hopefully calm heads prevail. The progress made in NI has been astonishing. It's such a beautiful part of the world and the people are magic.
    Iam struggling with their motives in the whole process, were they assuming the solution would be a hard border with RoI?

I have no skin in the game so had never heard of Bobby Storey until googling him, skim reading his Wikipedia page I am amazed that more questions weren't asked about how many IRA prisoners escaped from prisons
  • morstar

Iam struggling with their motives in the whole process, were they assuming the solution would be a hard border with RoI?

I have no skin in the game so had never heard of Bobby Storey until googling him, skim reading his Wikipedia page I am amazed that more questions weren't asked about how many IRA prisoners escaped from prisons
    Either stupidity or negligence probably had them thinking it would be business as usual.

Both sides were fully and openly committed to no border on the island of Ireland and maybe they believed the sanctity of the union meant there would be no sea border despite the logical fallacy this represented.

You can throw the ball back to Westminster to demand the technology solutions they touted were possible.
  • kingstongraham

Both sides to look the other way and whistle, I expect. Probably still should be the current solution.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,887

Loyalists will want a hard border on the ireland/NI border.
  • morstar

I agree the hardliners do but, that was clearly not on the cards so negligence or niaivety to carry on as though this could / would happen?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,263

And Republicans will want a hard border in the Irish Sea.
    Plus ça change.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    astute in thathe wrote it 2.5 years ago but he seems obsessed by the full official name of the Tory party. If you remove the assumption that Boris cares about NI then most of his points make no sense.

My assumption is that they all assume that unification is just a matter of timing and that Brexit just speeded up the process rather than risked causing it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,235

astute in thathe wrote it 2.5 years ago but he seems obsessed by the full official name of the Tory party. If you remove the assumption that Boris cares about NI then most of his points make no sense.

My assumption is that they all assume that unification is just a matter of timing and that Brexit just speeded up the process rather than risked causing it.
    I think you are underestimating the importance of the Union to a lot of Conservatives, albeit that they have a funny way of showing it. I agree Johnson and some of his yes-men don't appear to care about the Union, but then that's hardly distinguishing it from any other matter.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    They'd have to change all their union jacks. Cost them a fortune.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,965

Both sides to look the other way and whistle, I expect. Probably still should be the current solution.
    They'd also like the protocol to be removed in four years by a vote. To do that, they need to make sure it is kept as a live issue and demonstrate that it is not working. This is where the EU steps in to help out with its strong views on supermarket sausage rolls.