Hour record attempt

Comments

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Leave it on the doorstep. Wear gloves. Use ocado

Would you go to extremes if you had just found yourself out of a job (sponsor) and got a lifeline and were a few weeks away from being able to showcase your worth?

Would you go to extremes if you had just found yourself out of a job (sponsor) and got a lifeline and were a few weeks away from being able to showcase your worth?

Nobody knows, as said above, he could have caught it at, or travelling back from the Giro.
  • joe2019 said:

Nobody knows, as said above, he could have caught it at, or travelling back from the Giro.
    He's been back in the UK too long to have caught it at the Giro.

He tested positive yesterday, so say 48 hrs for test results and 5 days from infection to symptoms makes it around roughly 10th/11th November as the date he caught the virus.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    He also lives in Europe (Andorra?) and presumably had to travel to the UK at some point quite recently. With the attempt being in Manchester.
  • bobmcstuff
    It's a highly contagious disease which millions of people have caught. If he has been down Tesco licking doorknobs in high traffic areas then I will have some sympathy, but otherwise he has just been unlucky.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,475

I agree with Ugo...yes the virus is a pain and yes it gets everywhere but this seems pretty sloppy.

Unless his wife is a key worker or he has a child at nursey

I suspect Dowsett wasn't really taking it that seriously
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Not as seriously as he could/should have
  • He also lives in Europe (Andorra?) and presumably had to travel to the UK at some point quite recently. With the attempt being in Manchester.

He's been back at his Essex home with his wife since finishing the Giro.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I cannot believe the state on this thread
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    gsk82 said:

I agree with Ugo...yes the virus is a pain and yes it gets everywhere but this seems pretty sloppy.

Unless his wife is a key worker or he has a child at nursey

I suspect Dowsett wasn't really taking it that seriously
    Been searching through his bins? Or making random guesses...
  • joe2019

I cannot believe the state on this thread

Very sad
  • salsiccia1
    I reckon he planned the hour attempt to get publicity whilst waiting for a contract offer, but then got his deal with ISN so decided to catch Covid ON PURPOSE so he'd have an excuse to bin the hour attempt.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    Not the state of Alex's health and that of his unborn child?

(In response to sausage post 22:54)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    No matter what precautions you take and no matter the attention to detail, things still go wrong. No system is perfect.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1

No, because you can be really careful and still be unlucky. That's the thing with a pandemic, it is literally everywhere and even if you're careful it only takes someone else not to be.
  • joe2019

No, because you can be really careful and still be unlucky. That's the thing with a pandemic, it is literally everywhere and even if you're careful it only takes someone else not to be.
    Exactly, we live in a very small community, 20 miles from the nearest small town, we had no cases here in the first wave, and today I found out that our primary school, of 50 children, has been shut because of a Covid.
  • I guess I am no so sympathetic. Knowing absolutely zero detail and choosing not to give either of them the benefit of the doubt:

To me, Ganna after an epic last 3 months, was unlucky to get COVID.

Alex, with an important upcoming race, was sloppy.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,148
    Are you Tory MP? Because you seem to make decisions based on no or little evidence.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Harry182 said:

You can be as careful as you like but shoot still happens. It's presumptuous to assume that contracting C-19 is always down to one's own negligence.

Not negligence, but lack of care... you can be 100% safe if you want to... but you have to want it... it's not easy

The only way he would be "100% safe" is to do all his training on Zwift & lock himself away indoors until December 12th.

Do you really think that's practical?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,275
    edited November 2020
    ibr17xvii said:

Harry182 said:

You can be as careful as you like but shoot still happens. It's presumptuous to assume that contracting C-19 is always down to one's own negligence.

Not negligence, but lack of care... you can be 100% safe if you want to... but you have to want it... it's not easy

The only way he would be "100% safe" is to do all his training on Zwift & lock himself away indoors until December 12th.

Do you really think that's practical?
    I guess this is the sticking point. Whether one believes it is possible to avoid the virus completely or not. Personally, I believe with very careful planning it is possible, clearly others think it's not. I think it is possible to train outdoors (I've done it every day for 8 months now) and I believe it is possible to travel from and to the Velodrome on your own and train in isolation once inside, and of course there is Zwift too.
    You can live a limited period of time avoiding all possible causes of infection, but it is very hard and as you you guys say he is expecting a child, maybe he has other priorities than the Hour record... maybe he wanted to protect his wife more than he wanted to protect himself (I do it all the time, I've been the one going to the shops for 8 months).

As for practical, if you want to achieve something extraordinary, the "practical" route doesn't cut it, I'm afraid, you need to take extraordinary measures...Of course Boardman...
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyp said:

Are you Tory MP? Because you seem to make decisions based on no or little evidence.

I did say I had zero detail but was not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Your decision is also made with the same amount of evidence but yours is favourable.

I agree with Ugo on this one. He is trying to break a world record, not do his daily commute to work.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,213

andyp said:

I did say I had zero detail but was not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Your decision is also made with the same amount of evidence but yours is favourable.
    Yet with the same amount of evidence (i.e. none) you were willing to give Ganna the benefit of the doubt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • bobmcstuff

I reckon he planned the hour attempt to get publicity whilst waiting for a contract offer, but then got his deal with ISN so decided to catch Covid ON PURPOSE so he'd have an excuse to bin the hour attempt.

:smiley:
  • r0bh said:

andyp said:

Yet with the same amount of evidence (i.e. none) you were willing to give Ganna the benefit of the doubt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I guess the difference is that Ganna has finished racing for the year, so he has a bit of time to try and live a normal life with his family... in the process he caught the virus... he is young and he will recover and won't miss anything next year, most likely. But if Ganna had a planned race of great importance, like an Hour record assault, then we would be here saying the same thing about him...

It's really not difficult to understand the different position of the two riders in question, at this very moment in time
  • r0bh said:

andyp said:

Ugo answered this for me.

Ganna is bad luck but excusable given his season as ended and was likely celebrating.

Dowsett ramping up for a pretty important attempt at a world record.

Even if he wasn't a haemophiliac and attempting a world record, getting covid while his wife is pregnant is similarly sloppy.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,213
    edited November 2020

r0bh said:

andyp said:

Ganna is bad luck but excusable given his season as ended and was likely celebrating.

Errr Ganna's Covid positive meant he couldn't race at the Euro Track Champs this weekend just gone, so his season clearly hadn't ended

• Even if he wasn't a haemophiliac and attempting a world record, getting covid while his wife is pregnant is similarly sloppy.

Makes it more likely though... hospital visits and all of that...
    Of course Boardman would have ignored the all matter and stayed in a room with gaffer tape around the edges of the door...

This is how it's done... an hour well spent
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdwSOX6BoA

• joe2019
    r0bh said:

r0bh said:

andyp said:

Errr Ganna's Covid positive meant he couldn't race at the Euro Track Champs this weekend just gone, so his season clearly hadn't ended

Mere details that don't fit his hypostasis.
  • ... and for those with memory that dates back to 2015, Dowsett broke his collarbone ahead of his previous attempt, which had to be rescheduled... that was bad luck... ;)
  • r0bh said:

r0bh said:

andyp said:

Oops.
  • r0bh said:

r0bh said:

andyp said:

Euro track Champs... now that's an important race... a once in a lifetime opportunity to what? To wear the rainbow jersey and show off a bit?
    He probably didn't care enough to self isolate, can you blame him?