Hour record attempt

Comments

• RichN95. said:

Didn't Millar have some sort of aborted attempt (pre-reboot) or am I imagining that ?

He did a bit of track and won the UK 4000m pursuit title I think (rode around 4.25 or something which seems almost archaic now). I think it was mooted about having a go at the hour record as something to focus on but it was probably just chat. He might have done one of the revolution events as I think his sister was part of that business?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,862
    edited November 2020

mrb123 said:

This hour record talk makes me wonder if Ineos might be tempted to try something with Ganna similar to the Kipchoge sub 2 hour marathon.

60km seems to be an obvious mark to aim for. Presumably even for him that might be too difficult under the current UCI regulations.

The 2 hour marathon wasn't compliant with official world record rules though so maybe they could try it with a bike and clothing that is non-UCI compliant and just aim for the ultimate solo hour distance.

you'd think on a point to point road course, with a tailwind, he'd be able to hit it.
    The guy who recently did a sub 3 hour 100 miler was obv good but no where near Ganna power levels.
    Slightly downhill wind on his back masses of trucks moving in his direction . His arm rests are effectively a fairing ..think he averaged 250 w range
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited November 2020

What's the recumbent record these days ?

I had a look. 56.597km. But for the enclosed super-aero types it's 92.432km
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I've seen an enclosed Velomobile at an Audax Event years ago... things of absolute beauty... but as the gradient gets over 2% completely useless
    left the forum March 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,862
    Only 56kph for a recumbent is surprisingly low
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95. said:

The thing with Kipchoge's 2 hour marathon was that he wasn't too far off legally: 2.01.39.

Getting to 60km from the current record of 55km is a quite a big leap, even with Ganna and a free for all on positions.

Based on the sub 2hr marathon, he could just ride behind a rotating pack of riders
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

The thing with Kipchoge's 2 hour marathon was that he wasn't too far off legally: 2.01.39.

Getting to 60km from the current record of 55km is a quite a big leap, even with Ganna and a free for all on positions.

Based on the sub 2hr marathon, he could just ride behind a rotating pack of riders

Ha. I think they allow pacemakers in real marathons though.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited November 2020

mrb123 said:

This hour record talk makes me wonder if Ineos might be tempted to try something with Ganna similar to the Kipchoge sub 2 hour marathon.

60km seems to be an obvious mark to aim for. Presumably even for him that might be too difficult under the current UCI regulations.

The 2 hour marathon wasn't compliant with official world record rules though so maybe they could try it with a bike and clothing that is non-UCI compliant and just aim for the ultimate solo hour distance.

you'd think on a point to point road course, with a tailwind, he'd be able to hit it.
    The guy who recently did a sub 3 hour 100 miler was obv good but no where near Ganna power levels.
    Slightly downhill wind on his back masses of trucks moving in his direction . His arm rests are effectively a fairing ..think he averaged 250 w range
    267 NP - 210 average

I've actually done better - my record for 3 hours is 216 (average not normalised) according to my power curve... I doubt I am anything like as aero as this guy though, you'll lose at least a few watts in the aero position (but ideally gain back more speed in drag reduction obviously) - given that I don't even own a TT bike I would probably lose a lot of watts in the TT position.

For someone like Ganna, you'd imagine he could absolutely tear the arse out of this record, if he so wished.

That's a point though - there must have been some long TTs in stage races in the past which are getting close.
  • bobmcstuff
    Lewis Hamilton has got COVID and will miss at least Bahrain possibly Abu Dhabi GPs.

But how could he have caught it he's supposed to be a Professional Athlete shouldn't he be MORE CAREFUL........ LOSER
  • Lewis Hamilton has got COVID and will miss at least Bahrain possibly Abu Dhabi GPs.

But how could he have caught it he's supposed to be a Professional Athlete shouldn't he be MORE CAREFUL........ LOSER

He travels a lot during the season, that always involves an element of risk. That said, it could have come at a worse time, he has won the title already, so the next race is not that important...
  • I think he's foolish but he is also part of a much wider team involving dozens of people.

There is some importance on the next 2 races as if he wins them both he gets most wins in a season.

That said - like Ugo mentioned, he has the WDC and WCC tied up.

What would be totally stupid is if the rookie who is given his seat then catches COVID as this is truly the chance of a lifetime.
  • bobmcstuff
    Would have been a good day for it today - pressure was well below 1000 hpa, which is obviously nice and low for sea level.
  • RichN95.

Would have been a good day for it today - pressure was well below 1000 hpa, which is obviously nice and low for sea level.

He could have had a crowd in too
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    RichN95. said:

He could have had a crowd in too
    Not in Manchester he couldn't
  • Any news whether he has recovered well, or otherwise whether he is still struggling with the illness?
  • bobmcstuff
    edited December 2020
    He's been back on Strava doing decent rides the last week. The first one, 67km on the 8th, he said was very bad, but I've not seen any other comment (just looked at his Twitter and Instagram just in case...). Off the bike entirely between the 27th Nov and the 8th.

You can't tell much from the strava rides (even though he puts up his power etc), except that he has worked back up to 130km so I assume he must be recovering a bit at least.
  • No rumours or announcements on when and if this is going to be rescheduled?

Sounds like he's missed his last train... at his age that kind of form might well have been the swan's song
  • No rumours or announcements on when and if this is going to be rescheduled?

Sounds like he's missed his last train... at his age that kind of form might well have been the swan's song

The last I've read was this
    Dowsett said, following the postponement. "I’d like to thank everyone, the event organisers, event sponsors, my team, the UCI and above all the public for their support and very much look forward to attacking the record in 2021 with the same intent.

"We’re looking to announce a 2021 date as soon as possible."
    [21.11.2020]

I don't think it'll be just yet for a while
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

No rumours or announcements on when and if this is going to be rescheduled?

He's 32, Wiggins, Froome and Thomas all won TdF at that age.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I reckon he'll schedule the record attempt around his road race season/ time it to take advantage of some post grand tour form. (I have a vague memory of him having said this.)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Anyone with any aspirations of taking the record probably needs to have a go before Ganna does!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    mrb123 said:
    I would LOVE to see Ganna at the height of his powers taking this on, I think it would be one of those memorable, 'you remember where you were when' moments.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    andyp said:
    Does anyone think he is a faster cyclist now than he was on his previous record ride? Is he working on the basis that being at altitude and advancement in technology will see him through or just that he didn't go anywhere near his potential last time?
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

andyp said:
    Does anyone think he is a faster cyclist now than he was on his previous record ride? Is he working on the basis that being at altitude and advancement in technology will see him through or just that he didn't go anywhere near his potential last time?

I think he said at the time that he could have done more. I guess you don't really know where you limit is until you go looking for it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The fact that Bigham broke Wiggin's record - set in 2015 at a distance people thought might dissuade further attempts - suggests there could well be some tech/technique improvements the last few years. Not knocking Bigham btw, he's very good at what he does, but Wiggins was a giant of track cycling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    NGL, this is why road racing, where it is only the relative speed that matters, is so much better.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

The fact that Bigham broke Wiggin's record - set in 2015 at a distance people thought might dissuade further attempts - suggests there could well be some tech/technique improvements the last few years. Not knocking Bigham btw, he's very good at what he does, but Wiggins was a giant of track cycling.

Wiggins was very unlucky with conditions for his attempt; with better luck he would have gone 1km further
  • bobmcstuff
    r0bh said:

Wiggins was very unlucky with conditions for his attempt; with better luck he would have gone 1km further
    Wiggins sacrificed distance for doing it at a time when people would be paying attention, in addition to doing it in London. He compromised getting a longer distance for getting more media attention.

It's well known the Mexico velodrome is faster and if you're going to do it in the UK you need to wait for a super low air pressure.