Hour record attempt

Comments

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Pesky, inconsiderate virus, it gets everywhere.
  • Well, the question is... Had it been Boardman, would he have caught it? I'd say no...

Boardman was someone who didn't leave anything to chance... he even famously missed his son's birth to test (not race, just test!) the course for the National 25... that's probably the difference between very good and great
    left the forum March 2023
  • He's right ya know................
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

Well, the question is... Had it been Boardman, would he have caught it? I'd say no...

Boardman was someone who didn't leave anything to chance... he even famously missed his son's birth to test (not race, just test!) the course for the National 25... that's probably the difference between very good and great

The problem is it's not just him. He'll have his all his support staff as well. You can't just isolate them all in the Manchester Velodrome for a month.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Well, the question is... Had it been Boardman, would he have caught it? I'd say no...

The problem is it's not just him. He'll have his all his support staff as well. You can't just isolate them all in the Manchester Velodrome for a month.
    I understand, but you can practice social distancing... pretty sue a velodrome can easily be made Covid safe. It's about details... you either plan down to the small details or you don't... as I said, Boardman...
  • Nearly did a Zwift workout he was supposed to be leading last night at 1900 before doing a slightly earlier TT instead, think I read he quit part way through because of the test result.

Shame about the postponed hour attempt.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

• Shame about the postponed hour attempt.

Shame indeed... difficult to regain the same form, even without considering the disease...

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

gweeds said:

Dowsett has tested positive for COVID so it’s postponed.

In the race off season? FFS... all he's got to do is train and prepare for the Hour... it should have been easy to stay out of trouble

What a load of nonsense. You've obviously been living on the moon for the past 8 months.
  • ibr17xvii said:

gweeds said:

Dowsett has tested positive for COVID so it’s postponed.

In the race off season? FFS... all he's got to do is train and prepare for the Hour... it should have been easy to stay out of trouble

What a load of nonsense. You've obviously been living on the moon for the past 8 months.
    Don't know... I seem to have been able to stay out of trouble even on planet Earth, including racing August/September and October every weekend...

But anyway, it's not about me...
  • I agree with Ugo...yes the virus is a pain and yes it gets everywhere but this seems pretty sloppy.

Unless his wife is a key worker or he has a child at nursey
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    You can be as careful as you like but shoot still happens. It's presumptuous to assume that contracting C-19 is always down to one's own negligence.
  • too cold... they won't be able to heat the place to 25 degrees, which is what you need to be fast... but great he is giving it a shot... hopefully televised!

they could just record 16.5 seconds and leave it on a loop.

• Unless his wife is a key worker or he has a child at nursey

If that was the case, then you have to do a "Boardman" and say goodbye to the family for a few weeks...
    It boils down to how far you are prepared to go in terms of personal sacrifices, so how bad you want it...

• Harry182 said:

You can be as careful as you like but shoot still happens. It's presumptuous to assume that contracting C-19 is always down to one's own negligence.

Not negligence, but lack of care... you can be 100% safe if you want to... but you have to want it... it's not easy
  • joe2019
    edited November 2020
    I have met and ridden with Alex on a couple of occasions and he came across to me as an extremely professional athlete, he didn't seem like someone who would not put 100% into something he'd set his mind on.

Remember, that he is the world's only pro athlete with haemophilia, so I don't think he can be described as lacking care around health issues.

As above shoot happens.
  • joe2019 said:

As above shoot happens.

I don't believe that. This is a disease that at any one time has affected about 1% of the population at its peak... so it's not so easy to catch it, if 99% at any one time seem to be able to do so without going to any extreme measure, other than washing their hands and wearing a mask and be a bit less casual about their social life...

I would think that I am going to go for the Hour, I will treat it as if I had to shield completely and not let anyone come close to me. I am not questioning his professionalism, but clearly something was not planned well enough

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Gosh, did not know he is haemophiliac.
  • joe2019
    orraloon said:

http://www.littlebleeders.com/alexs-story
  • ... as for the idea that because someone is vulnerable, surely they are going to be more careful... well, if that was the case, we wouldn't be here talking about 50+ K deaths, vast majority had underlying health issues
  • joe2019

... as for the idea that because someone is vulnerable, surely they are going to be more careful... well, if that was the case, we wouldn't be here talking about 50+ K deaths, vast majority had underlying health issues

I've come to the conclusion that you are a little naive.
  • joe2019 said:

... as for the idea that because someone is vulnerable, surely they are going to be more careful... well, if that was the case, we wouldn't be here talking about 50+ K deaths, vast majority had underlying health issues

I don't know why you came to the conclusion that if someone is haemophilic, then surely he will be better than average at social distancing... it just doesn't add up.

• orraloon said:

Didn't know that until I read it in the Zwift workout intro yesterday afternoon.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

joe2019 said:

I don't know why you came to the conclusion that if someone is haemophilic, then surely he will be better than average at social distancing... it just doesn't add up.

You do know he was racing at the Giro less the month ago. He could have caught it there or on the way home.
  • joe2019
    webboo said:

joe2019 said:

You do know he was racing at the Giro less the month ago. He could have caught it there or on the way home.
    Yeah but ugo was racing less than a month ago too and he didn't catch it. ;)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Some ridiculous opinions on here. I usually agree with Ugo but this is nonsense. We are talking about a highly contagious virus here.

He's just got back from racing in Europe. Presumably he has to go to the shops etc.. Millions of people have caught it, a lot of whom were probably being very careful (such as those in grand tours this year...).
  • Why does he have to the shops?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    His partner is due to give birth to their first child soon, so I imagine they are both being extremely careful in minimising risks of contracting covid. But there are still real life things that people have to do which put you at risk.

The whole comment from Ugo just reeks of victim blaming. Which for a highly contagious, pandemic causing virus is just ridiculous.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    There is some victim blaming. If I was his sponsor I'd be pretty pissed off.

Is it noones fault?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Why does he have to the shops?

To buy food?

We don't know where he caught it. Maybe he was getting all his food delivered and his delivery driver had it. Christ.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    Leave it on the doorstep. Wear gloves. Use ocado

Would you go to extremes if you had just found yourself out of a job (sponsor) and got a lifeline and were a few weeks away from being able to showcase your worth?