Hour record attempt

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    edited November 2020
    It would be interesting to list all the riders who had more than one shot at the Hour record, Vs those who should have had a shot, but didn't... then you'd realise how difficult it is to get a shot... I start:

Boardman/Obree/Moser and now Dowsett

Vs

Armstrong/Cancellara/T.Martin/Zulle/Olano/Ullrich/Jalabert/Rogers/Doumulin/Millar/Zabriskie/Kiryenka/Honchar... among others
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Didn't Millar have some sort of aborted attempt (pre-reboot) or am I imagining that ?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Didn't Millar have some sort of aborted attempt (pre-reboot) or am I imagining that ?

Don't know...

I think we could in theory add Michael Hutchinson to the list of two timers... :)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    This hour record talk makes me wonder if Ineos might be tempted to try something with Ganna similar to the Kipchoge sub 2 hour marathon.

60km seems to be an obvious mark to aim for. Presumably even for him that might be too difficult under the current UCI regulations.

The 2 hour marathon wasn't compliant with official world record rules though so maybe they could try it with a bike and clothing that is non-UCI compliant and just aim for the ultimate solo hour distance.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

RichN95. said:

Don't know...

I think we could in theory add Michael Hutchinson to the list of two timers... :)
    and the Fugees
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123 said:

This hour record talk makes me wonder if Ineos might be tempted to try something with Ganna similar to the Kipchoge sub 2 hour marathon.

60km seems to be an obvious mark to aim for. Presumably even for him that might be too difficult under the current UCI regulations.

The 2 hour marathon wasn't compliant with official world record rules though so maybe they could try it with a bike and clothing that is non-UCI compliant and just aim for the ultimate solo hour distance.

60 km is impossible for this generation of riders, the move from 55 to 60 km/h is enormous in terms of power required... maybe 56 is possible... but it's not an inspiring number
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

60 km is impossible for this generation of riders, the move from 55 to 60 km/h is enormous in terms of power required... maybe 56 is possible... but it's not an inspiring number
    I think Boardman already did over 56 under the old rules. That was over 20 years ago so presumably there's scope for some improvement with the latest tech. Maybe not enough to get to 60km though!
  • mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

I think Boardman already did over 56 under the old rules. That was over 20 years ago so presumably there's scope for some improvement with the latest tech. Maybe not enough to get to 60km though!
    Certainly not enough to 60 km/h... I think 56 to 57 is probably the limit and for that you need the gods to assist you. One of the issue with the Hour that we seem to forget is that you set a date without knowing what the air pressure will be on the day, what temperature the velodrome will be on the day and these variable do matter significantly... and typically you only have one shot over a whole career... Wiggins wasn't particularly lucky with air pressure, for instance
  • Something for those who think avoiding Covid completely is impossible: does anyone really think that the Queen has a chance in a million to get Covid? And that bearing in mind the army of people who live around her, which Joe Bloggs doesn't have to contend with...
    It's all about the planning, folks, all about planning things right
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited November 2020

Something for those who think avoiding Covid completely is impossible: does anyone really think that the Queen has a chance in a million to get Covid? And that bearing in mind the army of people who live around her, which Joe Bloggs doesn't have to contend with...
    It's all about the planning, folks, all about planning things right

The Queen met with Prince Charles and Boris Johnson in March, just before their diagnosis, so there is a chance that she has already had it, and it was kept quiet, as Prince William's was.

One of her aides also tested positive in March.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Can lizards catch covid?
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2020
    Delete
  • joe2019 said:

One of her aides also tested positive in March.

But that was March... getting Covid in March was excusable, nobody really knew what to do back then... getting it now carries quite a lot of responsibility, unless you work in Care or NHS or are a school teacher or other high risk category...

Which brings back to Dowsett... :D
  • RichN95.
    The most common place that people catch it is the supermarket
  • joe2019
    RichN95. said:

What's your source for that.

• RichN95. said:

That's all new to me... especially now that everyone wears masks, there is hand sanitiser everywhere... where did you read this?
  • joe2019
    Found it:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-supermarkets-most-common-exposure-setting-for-catching-coronavirus-in-england-latest-data-shows-12136418

Supermarket - 18.3%
    Secondary school - 12.7%
    Primary school - 10.1%
    Hospital - 3.6%
    Care home - 2.8%
    College - 2.4%
    Warehouse - 2.2%
    Nursery preschool - 1.8%
    Pub or bar - 1.6%
    Hospitality - 1.5%
    University - 1.4%
    Manufacture engineering - 1.4%
    Household fewer than five - 1.2%
    General practice - 1.1%
    Gym - 1.1%
    Restaurant or cafe - 1.0%
  • joe2019 said:

Found it:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-supermarkets-most-common-exposure-setting-for-catching-coronavirus-in-england-latest-data-shows-12136418

Supermarket - 18.3%
    Secondary school - 12.7%
    Primary school - 10.1%
    Hospital - 3.6%
    Care home - 2.8%
    College - 2.4%
    Warehouse - 2.2%
    Nursery preschool - 1.8%
    Pub or bar - 1.6%
    Hospitality - 1.5%
    University - 1.4%
    General practice - 1.1%
    Gym - 1.1%

Hardly credible... it was probably a survey done during lockdown, when the hospitality sector was shut and supermarkets were the only hangouts
  • joe2019 said:

Found it:

Supermarket - 18.3%
    Secondary school - 12.7%
    Primary school - 10.1%
    Hospital - 3.6%
    Care home - 2.8%
    College - 2.4%
    Warehouse - 2.2%
    Nursery preschool - 1.8%
    Pub or bar - 1.6%
    Hospitality - 1.5%
    University - 1.4%
    General practice - 1.1%
    Gym - 1.1%

most common places visited before positive test

Before this misuse of statistics goes any further here is the official explanation

• RichN95. said:

• Makes a lot more sense
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    'Politicians use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost: not for illumination but to support their standing'
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604

r0bh said:

r0bh said:

andyp said:

Are you Tory MP? Because you seem to make decisions based on no or little evidence.

I did say I had zero detail but was not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Your decision is also made with the same amount of evidence but yours is favourable.
    Yet with the same amount of evidence (i.e. none) you were willing to give Ganna the benefit of the doubt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ugo answered this for me.

Ganna is bad luck but excusable given his season as ended and was likely celebrating.

Errr Ganna's Covid positive meant he couldn't race at the Euro Track Champs this weekend just gone, so his season clearly hadn't ended

Euro track Champs... now that's an important race... a once in a lifetime opportunity to what? To wear the rainbow jersey and show off a bit?
    He probably didn't care enough to self isolate, can you blame him?
    The interview I read with him he sounded gutted as he had , unintentionally, let his team mates down. As with Dowsett, I have much sympathy.
    Once you catch it despite avoiding it all you can, you’ll understand.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • r0bh said:

r0bh said:

andyp said:

Are you Tory MP? Because you seem to make decisions based on no or little evidence.

I did say I had zero detail but was not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Your decision is also made with the same amount of evidence but yours is favourable.
    Yet with the same amount of evidence (i.e. none) you were willing to give Ganna the benefit of the doubt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ganna is bad luck but excusable given his season as ended and was likely celebrating.

Errr Ganna's Covid positive meant he couldn't race at the Euro Track Champs this weekend just gone, so his season clearly hadn't ended

Euro track Champs... now that's an important race... a once in a lifetime opportunity to what? To wear the rainbow jersey and show off a bit?
    The interview I read with him he sounded gutted as he had , unintentionally, let his team mates down. As with Dowsett, I have much sympathy.
    I was raised with the idea that there is no tooth fairy, Santa Claus and you are in charge of your own luck... If I get it (I really hope I don't) I'll only have myself to blame.
  • mrb123

r0bh said:

r0bh said:

andyp said:

I was raised with the idea that there is no tooth fairy, Santa Claus and you are in charge of your own luck... If I get it (I really hope I don't) I'll only have myself to blame.
    Nah, blame the Chinese!
  • From the horses mouth

https://youtu.be/NybTjE1zGhM
  • Thanks for posting   image   johnboy183
  • mrb123 said:

you'd think on a point to point road course, with a tailwind, he'd be able to hit it.
    The guy who recently did a sub 3 hour 100 miler was obv good but no where near Ganna power levels.
  • RichN95.
    The thing with Kipchoge's 2 hour marathon was that he wasn't too far off legally: 2.01.39.

Getting to 60km from the current record of 55km is a quite a big leap, even with Ganna and a free for all on positions.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    What's the recumbent record these days ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm