Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    All in for the sprint Alex!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,866

Could still get Wiggins British record... Will be close.

nip and tuck - though I think he will just slip below.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    I stand corrected, think he will manage it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    54.555km
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    daniel_b said:

54.555, slightly better than Wiggins 54.526.
  • Faster than his last attempt and Wiggins, but not as quick as Dan Bigham
  • ddraver
    edited November 2021
    Hatch takes the no doubt sopping sweat band like... yeah thanks Al... :)

(Nice to see Hutch there, in fairness)
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    Ah big ride, good effort Alex. He looks really upset.
  • daniel_b

daniel_b said:

54.555, slightly better than Wiggins 54.526.
    Quite a pleasing final distance too - though 55.555 would be preferable of course :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    That's a man in pain.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,082
    Helluva effort.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Very professional interview, considering how upset he is
  • JimD666
    edited November 2021
    Wonder if, once you know the record is out of reach, you start hoping for a puncture just to end the pain...
  • Brilliant effort 54.555km so close to the 55.089km record ;)
  • daniel_b

Very professional interview, considering how upset he is

Heartfelt.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666 said:

Wonder if, once you know the record is out of reach, you start hoping for a puncture just to end the pain...

I have caught myself doing this during time trials that aren't going well :D
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    So sorry he did not get the record but Alex is a great ambassador for the haemophilia society.
  • JimD666
    Currently rereading Hutch's "The Hour", and if there's one thing that sums up Dowsetts attempt it's the following "If the hour goes wrong, the best you can hope for is that you fail with some dignity"

He did that.
  • bobmcstuff
    daniel_b said:

Very professional interview, considering how upset he is

Heartfelt.
    Yeah and good to acknowledge Bigham's British record too. Just caught up on it.
  • bobmcstuff
    And over £32k for the haemophilia society too.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    That's just spooky!
  • A valiant attempt, but I would like the Hour to be the pinnacle of professional cycling... I would like to see an athlete in his prime having a go (eg Ganna or Van Aert), rather than a last hurrah before retirement, as it has often been the case.
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobmcstuff

A valiant attempt, but I would like the Hour to be the pinnacle of professional cycling... I would like to see an athlete in his prime having a go (eg Ganna or Van Aert), rather than a last hurrah before retirement, as it has often been the case.

I think if/when Ganna does it he will put it out of reach for a while.

But like with other races, you can only race the people who show up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • r0bh said:
    I know Xavier from the Time trial scene, really nice guy...
    left the forum March 2023
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,082

A valiant attempt, but I would like the Hour to be the pinnacle of professional cycling... I would like to see an athlete in his prime having a go (eg Ganna or Van Aert), rather than a last hurrah before retirement, as it has often been the case.

Improbable, given how much organisation and time out from the road scene a rider has to take, plus the risk of failure, getting DS's to agree to it and finding sponsorship, facilitators etc etc etc.
    As Dowsett underlined - he admitted that the prep went well, he was feeling confident, he had done it before and he still came up short.
    There are only a handful pf people who have the physiology required to have a realistic chance and it is getting harder and harder to do.
    Pray Ganna doesn't do it and blow it out of the water to the extent he sets a virtually impossible mark (bar changes in UCI rules) because we won't see and attempt for eons.

Unless of course you go WBA style rules starting with flyweight going up to super porky.

'The pinnacle of professional cycling'. What is that? In cyclocross, the World Time Trial Championship, one of the GT's, the track league, race across America, an Olympic gold medal in whatever discipline, one of the monuments?

Not sure I understand your statement.
    What percentage of youth cyclists aspire to the World hour record over say, a GT or a monument?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bobmcstuff
    edited November 2021
    Campenaerts did outline some reasons why Ganna may have some issues with the hour compared to him and Dowsett - Ganna is a much bigger guy so he would have issues with heat buildup/dissipation in the velodrome. There's also some stuff about G forces in the corners and power modulation through the corners which is again a bigger issue the more mass you have.

But in the end I think it's academic - Ganna is such a beast that if he does it the record will be gone for a while (and that's basically what Campenaerts said too).
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think we all agree that Ganna is capable of putting down a quite mind-blowing marker.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited November 2021
    pinno said:

'The pinnacle of professional cycling'. What is that? In cyclocross, the World Time Trial Championship, one of the GT's, the track league, race across America, an Olympic gold medal in whatever discipline, one of the monuments?

Not sure I understand your statement.
    What percentage of youth cyclists aspire to the World hour record over say, a GT or a monument?

Ugo is saying he'd like it to have that status, not that it does. So the best time triallists of their day would all want to have a go while in their prime . As Merckx, Moser, Rominger, Indurain and Boardman did, but now it's lesser riders and those near retirement. Ganna can change that.
    Twitter: @RichN95