Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited November 2023
    I'm not sure why every criticism of pretty serious problems in the US is brushed away as snobbery.

For all the 'magic' of the US economy plenty of people think it's not been magic for them and believe the same simplistic Trumpian bollox that Wilders et al sell.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    rjsterry said:

I'm not sure why every criticism of pretty serious problems in the US is brushed away as snobbery.

It’s largely irrelevant to the economy.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

It’s largely irrelevant to the economy.
    See edited post above. I don't think it is.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

Look if things carry on there will be a three tiered “rich” world with the US streaking ahead, Europe Japan and Korea stagnating and China stagnating behind.

Europeans would do well to be humble about their own decade of poor economic performance and address it.

This sort of snobbery about the US is fine but most of the criticisms are not to do with the economy.

Americans not having much holiday or shooting each other is not the reason their economy is doing so well.

There are lessons to be learned.

I'm not sure you quite comprehend what this 'snobbery' is about. Sure, overall the economy seems to be doing well, but if that's at the expense of the poor, access to healthcare, and gets hijacked by the evangelical far-right, what's the point of all that money? If the US crashes and burns under another Trump, that would be the result of the inequalities that seem to drive the US economy, as well as a collective madness (if they aren't the same thing).
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    UK has a higher proportion of people in poverty fwiw…

It’s just the well off are *much* more well off in the US.
  • briantrumpet

And you don't think that (increasing) degree of inequality is a problem?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

No. Poverty is a problem. Lots of people getting rich isn’t.
  • briantrumpet

No. Poverty is a problem. Lots of people getting rich isn’t.

Lots of people getting very rich at the expense of the poor is.

To give Biden his due, at least he's chipping away at the edges, but the massive inequalities built into the US model aren't symptoms of a sustainably healthy society. And all of Biden's achievements will turn to dust if those wanting to preserve those inequalities get back into power with Trump as the figurehead.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Doesn't it make sense to compare quality of life? The point of a strong economy is to improve the quality of life.

Neither the US or UK do particularly well on the development index.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I’d argue that the lack of holidays contributes to efficiency and the economy.
    Then you need to have a high top end salary to afford healthcare (or the kind of job that provides it).
    What I am saying is that you won’t get all the good bits of a US economy without the bad.
    Also, there is a huge divide in wealth over there too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

Then you need to have a high top end salary to afford healthcare (or the kind of job that provides it).
    What I am saying is that you won’t get all the good bits of a US economy without the bad.

I’m not convinced having fewer holidays has a positive impact on your productivity per hour. All the evidence is to the contrary.

You can surely imagine there are things European countries can learn?

Americans pay a lot for healthcare but again, what does that have to do with their productivity?
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

I’m not convinced having fewer holidays has a positive impact on your productivity per hour. All the evidence is to the contrary.

Americans pay a lot for healthcare but again, what does that have to do with their productivity?
    Which lifestyle metric are you looking to improve?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

pblakeney said:

1. Adds additional hours.
    2. Such as?
    3. Productivity is not the be all and end all of life.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

2. Such as?
    More hours doesn't mean more work though. Time in any UK office will tell you that.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    edited November 2023
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

2. Such as?
    More hours doesn't mean more work though. Time in any UK office will tell you that.
    Bank holidays affect GDP, so it is reasonable to think that reducing holidays would do as well.

Koreans get 5 days a year.
  • rjsterry

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

2. Such as?
    Bank holidays affect GDP, so it is reasonable to think that reducing holidays would do as well.

Koreans get 5 days a yeae.
    Also, not paying people to be off sick/start a family.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

pblakeney said:

Given the range of political philosophies across the different states I reckon you could almost learn whatever lesson you wanted.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I find Rick’s apparent idolisation of the US slightly odd as they appear to be even worse than the UK when it comes to all the ‘bad stuff’ he moans about in the UK other than possibly the economy. What’s the point in a strong economy if it isn’t to the benefit of the whole population?

After a few days in Norway and seeing how they made use of the unexpected financial windfall to improve the country for future generations as well as the current I know where I’d rather be.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    The whole tonnes of poor people in the US view is a little outdated.

Like I said they have a lower proportion of people in poverty, and every strata (uk definition), working class, middle class, and rich all out earn the Uk bar small pockets of London.

I have a lot of interactions with the US and people who live there and the comparisons come up.

It’s hard to exaggerate how well the US economy has done compared to Europe - across all levels, in the last 15 years.

The stagnation we take for granted is really stark when you see the growth the Americans take for granted.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Like I said they have a lower proportion of people in poverty, and every strata (uk definition), working class, middle class, and rich all out earn the Uk bar small pockets of London.

I have a lot of interactions with the US and people who live there and the comparisons come up.

It’s hard to exaggerate how well the US economy has done compared to Europe - across all levels, in the last 15 years.

The stagnation we take for granted is really stark when you see the growth the Americans take for granted.

I can think of a few reasons: lower tax burden (you knew I'd say that); more labour market flexibility and the general attitude that its OK for people to make money rather than resenting those who do.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2023

🤔

https://confrontingpoverty.org/poverty-facts-and-myths/americas-poor-are-worse-off-than-elsewhere/

https://www.ft.com/content/ef265420-45e8-497b-b308-c951baa68945

The rich in the US are exceptionally rich — the top 10 per cent have the highest top-decile disposable incomes in the world, 50 per cent above their British counterparts. But the bottom decile struggle by with a standard of living that is worse than the poorest in 14 European countries including Slovenia.

To be clear, the US data show that both broad-based growth and the equal distribution of its proceeds matter for wellbeing. Five years of healthy pre-pandemic growth in US living standards across the distribution lifted all boats, a trend that was conspicuously absent in the UK.

But redistributing the gains more evenly would have a far more transformative impact on quality of life for millions. The growth spurt boosted incomes of the bottom decile of US households by roughly an extra 10 per cent. But transpose Norway’s inequality gradient on to the US, and the poorest decile of Americans would be a further 40 per cent better off while the top decile would remain richer than the top of almost every other country on the planet.

Our leaders are of course right to target economic growth, but to wave away concerns about the distribution of a decent standard of living — which is what income inequality essentially measures — is to be uninterested in the lives of millions. Until those gradients are made less steep, the UK and US will remain poor societies with pockets of rich people.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    Yeah that’s 4 years ago. US has motored since and the UK has got worse.

Obviously no social security will mean you get more extremes in the US as there is no floor, but again, I don’t think that is the differentiator regarding performance.

Do you not think there is a balance to be found regarding US economic performance and some basic social security? It’s not either or.
  • briantrumpet

Yeah that’s 4 years ago. US has motored since and the UK has got worse.

Apologies, edited as you were replying, adding in recent FT article.
  • briantrumpet
    Maybe the UK wouldn't have been as stagnant had it not been for a fixated and incompetent government.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Our MD is American, this is his second stint over here. He said he doesn't think he could ever live there again, one of the main reasons cited is that people are obsessed with money. If you meet someone new the conversation always moves on to what you do, how big your house is what car you drive. No wonder Rick thinks it's great.

pblakeney said:

Which lifestyle metric are you looking to improve?
    There's only one important one, admittedly you need to earn enough to make it work. I quit my job and went back to a company I used to work for and took a pay cut to do so. It meant I could see my kids every morning and evening, less stress and a happier work environment. Admittedly it took a bout of cancer to make me realise the obvious.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126

up to 2020 data ( https://devinit.org/documents/1291/Economic_poverty_trends_dataset.xlsx ) show...

usa poverty rate is around 1% vs. 0.3% for uk, forecast 2020 onwards stays that way

that's c. three times worse than the uk

the general standard of living is higher, but the usa lacks anything close to the uk 'safety net', with worsening addiction, crime, mental health

i've spent a fair amount of time in phoenix over the years, the contrast between scottsdale and the downtown 'zone' is stark, the clear out moves the people but is unlikely to fix the underlying problem
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/04/us/phoenix-tent-camp-homelessness.html?unlocked_article_code=1.BU0.N6VU.xUiej1rKxUL4&smid=url-share

as in many countries, growth typically results in unequal wealth distribution, with the wealthiest tending to benefit disproportionately - off-shoring, automation, and availability of cheap labour (poor people, migrants etc.) with little/no bargaining power

aside from cultural differences - imho willingness both to take risk and to try again after failure - the usa benefits from less regulation, local governments generally wanting to attract development rather than block it

lower cost of stuff/services, easier/cheaper to start up and operate, weaker employment rights make it easier to cut cost if needed, it's also a huge single market with plenty of options for supporting services
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    Sure I agree the US is missing a social security system but again, where’s the evidence that that is why their economy outperforms?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126

Sure I agree the US is missing a social security system but again, where’s the evidence that that is why their economy outperforms?

who claimed it was the reason for economic performance?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    sungod said:

who claimed it was the reason for economic performance?
    That’s all I’m arguing for.

You couldn’t pay me enough to live in America (literally, and I have been offered) and I’m not saying it’s a wonderful place, but their economic performance is and I think Europe could learn something from it.
  • rjsterry

If your thesis that the European (including UK) stagnation is what has driven younger generations to vote for people like Wilders, AfD, Le Pen, et al, why are younger generations still supporting the American equivalent despite the success of the US economy?
    Pinnacle Monzonite