Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited November 2023

Do you really think that not having enough money or space to have a family was not a common problem before your generation?

Certainly not as common, no. The facts show that. And anecdotally in my own world, none of my friends apart from the oprhaned hotshot M&A lawyer can afford the houses they grew up in and they're now the same age their parents were when they had them.

Commutes are longer, family houses are getting smaller, and overall earnings are expected to be less than their parents.

But again, this is all discussion is tangential to the debate > you want to argue that the grievances are legitimate or not. I am arguing that a) they are and b) even if they weren't, which they are, it doesn't matter.

Not being able to live how your parents did is pretty galling. It does not make for content voters and they will vote for change unless it is addressed. The mainstream parties in continental Europe refuse to address them so you get things like Wilders.

UK has a different system and the Tories have refused to address the problems so they have haemorrhaged young voters to the point polls have only 1% of under 25s voting for them. Same problem, expressed in a different political way because of a different system.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Having a family has always been massively expensive. Nothing new there.

As for not being able to live close to work - well that may be true if you have made the choice to work in London. However that really isn't the case for most of the rest of the country.

There is of course the issue that there has been far too much encouragement to keep employment in London. There really is no need to have such a concentration of financial services firms in London, and there are plenty of very successful firms without a London base that prove that.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Rick - your generation wants things yesterday.
    Your parents' and grandparents' generations saved before they made purchases of almost anything, from furniture to white goods to cars.
  • Having a family has always been massively expensive. Nothing new there.

As for not being able to live close to work - well that may be true if you have made the choice to work in London. However that really isn't the case for most of the rest of the country.

There is of course the issue that there has been far too much encouragement to keep employment in London. There really is no need to have such a concentration of financial services firms in London, and there are plenty of very successful firms without a London base that prove that.

There are many industries where concentration is essential.

If FS firms could move to somewhere cheaper then they would
  • rick_chasey

Commute times have risen across the UK. that's a fact.

The size of house for young families are the smallest they have been for 60 years. That's a fact.

You can argue this is all wrong and they need to suck it up fault but again, it's irrelevant.

it is considered amongst under 35s as a political failure of government. That's just factual. The lack of house building, the lack of job opportunities to match their skillset. That's all in the remit of governments.

Saying "oh the problems you think you have are trivial" is not a powerful political argument.

• Do you really think that not having enough money or space to have a family was not a common problem before your generation?

Certainly not as common, no. The facts show that. And anecdotally in my own world, none of my friends apart from the oprhaned hotshot M&A lawyer can afford the houses they grew up in and they're now the same age their parents were when they had them.

Commutes are longer, family houses are getting smaller, and overall earnings are expected to be less than their parents.

But again, this is all discussion is tangential to the debate > you want to argue that the grievances are legitimate or not. I am arguing that a) they are and b) even if they weren't, which they are, it doesn't matter.

Not being able to live how your parents did is pretty galling. It does not make for content voters and they will vote for change unless it is addressed. The mainstream parties in continental Europe refuse to address them so you get things like Wilders.

UK has a different system and the Tories have refused to address the problems so they have haemorrhaged young voters to the point polls have only 1% of under 25s voting for them. Same problem, expressed in a different political way because of a different system.
    You are obsessed by housing.

My FiL was a very successful banker and now lives a very comfortable life on his DB pension and yet the childhood stories are all about him using a weeks holiday every year to decorate or how they went to yorkshire very year on holiday to stay in a friends house.
    My BiL law will not have a career as successful as him but both have a higher standard of living than he did at a comparable age.

The ability to pop out and buy a new washing machine on a credit card is such a fact of life for your generation that you place no value on it.

Relatively speaking the cheapest washing machine in the 1970s should cost £2k today and there was no easy credit so if yours broke you were down the launderette until you had saved up.

Have you ever experienced the drudgery of a launderette? there were 12,000 in the 1980s and only 3,000 now so it would imply your generation are x4 less likely to need one.
  • Dorset_Boy

There realy is nothing preventing them from moving out of London, nothing.
    However it is a herd and egotistical prestige thing that keeps them there.
    All trading is electronic. Many of the companies they invest in are not London based, They don't need to be able t pop down to a trading floor to do deals.

Invesco for example have been outside London for about 25 years I believe. There is also a reasonably thriving FS sector in Bristol.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    SC, when do you think 18-35 year olds were born?

You might as well be talking about the Victorians and saying “be glad you don’t have to work in a factory aged 8 or risk being put in a poor house”.

We are all obsessed with housing. All of us. Do you know how much they cost?!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    FWIW, a family of 4 in a 2 bedroom house was the norm when I was growing up.
    I knew a family of 9 in a 4 bedroom, and they weren't the exception in catholic families.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    I don't think SC appreciates how much more 18-35 year olds spend on housing compared to in the past.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

I knew a family of 9 in a 4 bedroom, and they weren't the exception in catholic families.

When was this PB? I presume it was not in the 90s.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

All trading is electronic. Many of the companies they invest in are not London based, They don't need to be able t pop down to a trading floor to do deals.

Invesco for example have been outside London for about 25 years I believe. There is also a reasonably thriving FS sector in Bristol.
    They need staff though.
  • rick_chasey

FS firms with wholesale client bases will always need to be in the regions.
  • Dorset_Boy

They need staff though.
    The life offices either moved out years ago or were never there. do they struggle for staff in their non-London facilities?
    and if what rick says about the commute and accommodation situation is true, wouldn't many prefer to do their jobs somewhere 15-30 minutes from home, with countryside on their doorstep?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Obviously not. Family started in the 60s and most remained until the late 80s.
    It is an example of things that once were not easy getting better. We may be going back. 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It is an example of things that once were not easy getting better. We may be going back. 🤬
    Sure, this is what I mean though. People keep talking about the 50s 60s and 80s. No under 35s remember the 80s - most were not even born in the 80s.

So that's a useless point of reference. People compare their lives with the lives of their parents when they were growing up. That's normal.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sure, this is what I mean though. People keep talking about the 50s 60s and 80s. No under 35s remember the 80s - most were not even born in the 80s.

So that's a useless point of reference. People compare their lives with the lives of their parents when they were growing up. That's normal.
    that is our point, that life is immeasurablyeasier than when we were growing up.

and I do not remember having an expectation that I would have a better lifestyle than my parents
  • TheBigBean

They need staff though.
    The life offices either moved out years ago or were never there. do they struggle for staff in their non-London facilities?
    and if what rick says about the commute and accommodation situation is true, wouldn't many prefer to do their jobs somewhere 15-30 minutes from home, with countryside on their doorstep?
    Following Brexit a number of firms looked at what they needed to do to comply with EU rules. The problem was that it was very difficult to get any of the staff to move to EU cities. It's the same issue with relocating in the UK or asking new staff to relocate to join your company. They just won't do it.

• Dorset_Boy

They need staff though.
    Following Brexit a number of firms looked at what they needed to do to comply with EU rules. The problem was that it was very difficult to get any of the staff to move to EU cities. It's the same issue with relocating in the UK or asking new staff to relocate to join your company. They just won't do it.

You can't compare moving to a foreign country with relocating from London to Oxford, Bristol, Cambridge, Exter etc.
    All those millenials complaining of high transport and housing costs, and long commutes would surely be happy to move for a similar net income after those costs, and a far, far better quality of life. Management are just too scared to find out, or to egotistical.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sums up the internet.
    "Only my experience counts."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sums up the internet.
    Perhaps we're debating at cross purposes.

I'm trying to illustrate why young people are becoming politically radicalised, and how it appears in their head.

Talking about life in the 50s or 80s is ancient history to them. The Britain you describe is alien to pretty much anyone under 35, so it's not a credible argument to them.

They don't want better living standards than the 70s. They want better living standards than the 00s!

Talking about the 60s, may as well be talking to you about the pre-war Victorians when you were in your 20s.
  • TheBigBean

They need staff though.

You can't compare moving to a foreign country with relocating from London to Oxford, Bristol, Cambridge, Exter etc.
    All those millenials complaining of high transport and housing costs, and long commutes would surely be happy to move for a similar net income after those costs, and a far, far better quality of life. Management are just too scared to find out, or to egotistical.
    It depends on the job, but not in a lot of the finance sector. Those people are also not moaning about London costs.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

They need staff though.

You say that, I remember speaking to someone on the board of the Halifax arm of Lloyds Banking Group.

The board had reluctantly agreed to relocate the HQ from Halifax to Leeds because the labour market was so poor in Halifax.

• pblakeney
    edited November 2023

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sums up the internet.
    Perhaps we're debating at cross purposes.

I'm trying to illustrate why young people are becoming politically radicalised, and how it appears in their head.

Talking about life in the 50s or 80s is ancient history to them. The Britain you describe is alien to pretty much anyone under 35, so it's not a credible argument to them.

They don't want better living standards than the 70s. They want better living standards than the 00s!

Talking about the 60s, may as well be talking to you about the pre-war Victorians when you were in your 20s.
    I've come up with a theory as to why things seem screwed up.
    Millennials can't remember anything pre-90s so everything since the 90s seems normal.
    Since the 90s housing has not been normal, amongst other things. #warpedperception
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

Since the 90s housing has not been normal, amongst other things. #warpedperception

That's 30 years > it's a long time.

Like the gap between the war and the 70s. It's a long long time.

In 30 years you had 2 world wars.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I thought that was irrelevant?
    #cherrypicking
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Thanks @rick_chasey - doesn't bode well for the future, as that generation is going to be around a long time, and if their views don't change, things could get spicy politically.

Yeah, very few parties were challenging the status quo and Wilders has answers that are challenging it.

And, as we know from Brexit, trying to sell the status quo ("It's a bit shït, but the alternatives are shitter") isn't very sexy or exciting.
    Sure. I do think the under 35s are really overlooked across the West.
    every generation has thought that.

the only difference with the "entitled" millenials was that they had social media to broadcast it
    This sounds very much like you sticking your fingers in your ears about this election result.

Firstly a) perception is reality in politics. and b) this is the first generation since the war to expect lower living standards than the previous generation.

I have a relatively slow day so am happy to have a civilised debate.

I reckon our differences are over measuring living standards.

Millenials (for me) are on the whole much better off than their parents because of the reduction in price of nearly everything from consumer goods to travel. The ££ cot of a flight is less than it was 40 years ago and they will be getting on the plane with a computer in their pocket. They will also get to the airport in a car that starts on a cold morning and does not have a tendency to break down.

These improvements have come about from megatrends such as globalisation and tech leaps.

Individually they may or may not be better off than their parents but that will be down to their own choices.

So my point is that without future mega trends benefiting the UK I see no reason why any generation should expect to be better off than their parents.
    Ahem.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I thought that was irrelevant?
    #cherrypicking
    Yeah it is, that's exactly what I'm saying. Can you imagine when you were in your 20s, so presumably what, the 70s, with people banging on about the war all the time?

It's not unreasonable for young people to have shorter time frames. And even beyond the perception, the reality is real.

under 35s spend 3x what their grandparents did on housing. The realities of commutes etc are real, because that's what the combination of the labour market and the housing market offer.

These are problems that need to be solved. If they're not addressed, they will become more radicalised.
  • rjsterry said:

Thanks @rick_chasey - doesn't bode well for the future, as that generation is going to be around a long time, and if their views don't change, things could get spicy politically.

Yeah, very few parties were challenging the status quo and Wilders has answers that are challenging it.

And, as we know from Brexit, trying to sell the status quo ("It's a bit shït, but the alternatives are shitter") isn't very sexy or exciting.

the only difference with the "entitled" millenials was that they had social media to broadcast it
    This sounds very much like you sticking your fingers in your ears about this election result.

Firstly a) perception is reality in politics. and b) this is the first generation since the war to expect lower living standards than the previous generation.

Millenials (for me) are on the whole much better off than their parents because of the reduction in price of nearly everything from consumer goods to travel. The ££ cot of a flight is less than it was 40 years ago and they will be getting on the plane with a computer in their pocket. They will also get to the airport in a car that starts on a cold morning and does not have a tendency to break down.

These improvements have come about from megatrends such as globalisation and tech leaps.

Individually they may or may not be better off than their parents but that will be down to their own choices.

So my point is that without future mega trends benefiting the UK I see no reason why any generation should expect to be better off than their parents.
    Ahem.

That chart is fascinating. Who'd have thought the Thatcher/Major years were so good, or indeed the Wilson/Callaghan years, including as they did the IMF bailout?

I'm also genuinely curious as to why the Cameron/May era was so bad as I don't recall inflation, growth or tax rises being particularly bad.

The big question though is whether the step-change post-Blair is Brexit or GFC.

It's also somewhat disingenuous of commentators to omit reference to the pandemic in current Parliament. The impact of printing all that money to pay people to do nothing has to have some impact. Not saying it was a bad thing. The alternative was probably much worse. But it's definitely a thing.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited November 2023

rjsterry said:

Ahem.

That chart is fascinating. Who'd have thought the Thatcher/Major years were so good, or indeed the Wilson/Callaghan years, including as they did the IMF bailout?

I'm also genuinely curious as to why the Cameron/May era was so bad as I don't recall inflation, growth or tax rises being particularly bad.

The big question though is whether the step-change post-Blair is Brexit or GFC.

It's also somewhat disingenuous of commentators to omit reference to the pandemic in current Parliament. The impact of printing all that money to pay people to do nothing has to have some impact. Not saying it was a bad thing. The alternative was probably much worse. But it's definitely a thing.
    It was a thing. So was the '73 oil crisis. Rather puts 'remember the 3-day week and rubbish piling up in the streets' into perspective though.

It is also looking at change relative to the start of each parliament, not relative to each other. In that sense, there probably was more room for improvement in the 80s.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition