Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,631
    edited November 2023
    Honestly, I don’t follow the US political stuff beyond the polls and geopolitically.

They have an absolute shittonne of batshit crazy people who are soo out there I have a hard time to comprehend where they’re coming from so I just don’t bother.

I have no idea.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.economist.com/1843/2023/11/23/the-man-who-escaped-genocide-twice

The man who escaped genocide, twice

Refugees from Sudan are furious with the world for ignoring their plight

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525

https://www.economist.com/1843/2023/11/23/the-man-who-escaped-genocide-twice

The man who escaped genocide, twice

Refugees from Sudan are furious with the world for ignoring their plight

It would be good if the ICC did manage to prosecute some people, but what else can the rest of the world do? It's a civil war with no good guys to arm, so the only option would be to invade and occupy which is unlikely to be appealing to anyone.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm fairly clueless but a NATO jobbie like in the Balkans? Ideally with better execution I mean, it's genocide. Surely the West can protect the refugees, and let the rest slog it out?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Honestly, I don’t follow the US political stuff beyond the polls and geopolitically.

They have an absolute shittonne of batshit crazy people who are soo out there I have a hard time to comprehend where they’re coming from so I just don’t bother.

I have no idea.

Surely, given how often the assumption is made that growth would have prevented brexit (etc) it's worth understanding why a country with such great growth is such an apparent political basket case.

• rick_chasey
    Probably.

The is that research that said the likelihood of someone voting Brexit was almost directly proportional to their exposure to austerity. Lord knows a tonne of US places see the equivalent.
  • Probably.

The is that research that said the likelihood of someone voting Brexit was almost directly proportional to their exposure to austerity. Lord knows a tonne of US places see the equivalent.

How would austerity affect the well-off pensioners in the "shires" that voted for Brexit in non-trivial numbers?
  • rick_chasey
    You can look up the research yourself.

Funnily enough 52% of voters will cover a lot of groups.
  • You can look up the research yourself.

Sorry. Just to be clear, I don't think your claim is correct taken on face value. If you want to explain how Brexit voting well-off pensioners were affected by exposure to austerity then pls feel free to elaborate.

Sorry. Just to be clear, I don't think your claim is correct taken on face value. If you want to explain how Brexit voting well-off pensioners were affected by exposure to austerity then pls feel free to elaborate.
    My own theory is that people dependent upon the State voted for Brexit a subset of whom were adverseley impacted byausterity but also includes pensioners, farmers and regions getting big bungs.

If your lifestyle is dpendent upon the State you would be more swayed by arguments about how the State will have more flexibility to improve your way of life post-Brexit.
  • rick_chasey

My own theory is that people dependent upon the State voted for Brexit a subset of whom were adverseley impacted byausterity but also includes pensioners, farmers and regions getting big bungs.

If your lifestyle is dpendent upon the State you would be more swayed by arguments about how the State will have more flexibility to improve your way of life post-Brexit.
    Not least as the elderly are always spending more time in hospitals and at doctors etc, so they are more exposed that way.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Tbf even the well off pensioners I know use the NHS, and whilst the NHS budget may have escaped the worst of austerity, the social care budget has not, which has meant NHS services being spread more thinly.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,087

Doesn't seem to match this.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1057/s41293-022-00216-9#:~:text=Well over a half of,group of workers were graduates.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

No argument here. I just don't think that covers the non-trivial number of well-off pensioners (i.e. those with good private pensions and lots of housing equity) who voted to leave. My parents voted to leave because my Mum has always been anti-integration on the European front, despite being unaffected by austerity, and quite comfortably off. (Both parents are on inflation linked public sector pensions for example.) Ironically, since the Covid era, she's not enjoyed great health and is very frustrated at the failings of the GP service, which may or may not be due to sub-optimal levels of health spending...

Not least as the elderly are always spending more time in hospitals and at doctors etc, so they are more exposed that way.
    The NHS wasn't in a particular bad state in the run-up to the EU ref. It's only really got bad post-Covid, even though the issues have been building up for years.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

No argument here. I just don't think that covers the non-trivial number of well-off pensioners (i.e. those with good private pensions and lots of housing equity) who voted to leave. My parents voted to leave because my Mum has always been anti-integration on the European front, despite being unaffected by austerity, and quite comfortably off. (Both parents are on inflation linked public sector pensions for example.) Ironically, since the Covid era, she's not enjoyed great health and is very frustrated at the failings of the GP service, which may or may not be due to sub-optimal levels of health spending...
    Sovereignty and taking control of borders?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,520
    pblakeney said:

Sovereignty and taking control of borders?

Leave picked issues they knew that were both meaningless in practical terms but wound up old(er) people. It didn't need any logical underpinning.

I take your point but the fact that their entire income is from the Govt would support my point that they are dependent upon the State
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2023
    N/A
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    I'm curious as to what grounds the Palestinians bring released from Israeli prisons in response to Hamas releasing hostages were being detained.
  • I'm curious as to what grounds the Palestinians bring released from Israeli prisons in response to Hamas releasing hostages were being detained.

I am sure Hamas aren't swapping hostages for stone throwers
  • rick_chasey
    Oh look, more train strikes next week.

It's been over a year now.
  • TheBigBean

I'm curious as to what grounds the Palestinians bring released from Israeli prisons in response to Hamas releasing hostages were being detained.

They're mostly detained for things like stone throwing, but the problem is that they don't have access to the legal system and many do not face trial, so their detention is questionable. One of the women released the other day was detained because her car caught on fire - damning evidence that she was intent on terrorism.

Israel would say that it is impossible to conduct a proper trial as no Palestinians will be witnesses. That, of course, is the problem of occupying a country.

In other news, there are mixed reports of how the hostages were treated. One Israeli TV channel was reporting that it wasn't too bad given the difficulties and that this was consistent with what the previously released hostage said - something she was strongly criticised for. There are various reports of worse treatment though.

Also worth noting that Palestinians detained by Israel frequently report beatings and poor conditions.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150

Oh look, more train strikes next week.

It's been over a year now.

I don't know if it is a new tactic but as I was travelling up to London this Saturday and there was a warning about industrial action I looked in more detail and noticed that drivers with different companies are striking on different days. I assume this is intended to cause maximum disruption without the drivers having to lose too many days' pay.
  • rick_chasey
    Presumably. Gives them a week of headlines.

It boggles the mind this can't be solved by now. It seems both side would rather just carry on with strikes every other month.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,087

It boggles the mind this can't be solved by now. It seems both side would rather just carry on with strikes every other month.

The people making the decisions don't regularly use trains.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

The people making the decisions don't regularly use trains.
    This has always been a bugbear of mine about strikes, and protests in general.
    You have to impact the decision makers more than the general public.
    Veronese68 wrote:

I take your point but the fact that their entire income is from the Govt would support my point that they are dependent upon the State

Well I guess so, but if the State is in no position to pay contractually guaranteed pensions then we're all ****ed. (And I suspect most people in my folks' position think their work-related pension is paid from a ring-fenced pot with their names on. It's only because I like boring them with details that my folks are in the know on this.)

By "reliant on the State" I was meaning those reliant on payments from the State that are at the whim of whichever politician is in charge at the time.

• briantrumpet

They're mostly detained for things like stone throwing, but the problem is that they don't have access to the legal system and many do not face trial, so their detention is questionable. One of the women released the other day was detained because her car caught on fire - damning evidence that she was intent on terrorism.

Israel would say that it is impossible to conduct a proper trial as no Palestinians will be witnesses. That, of course, is the problem of occupying a country.

In other news, there are mixed reports of how the hostages were treated. One Israeli TV channel was reporting that it wasn't too bad given the difficulties and that this was consistent with what the previously released hostage said - something she was strongly criticised for. There are various reports of worse treatment though.

Also worth noting that Palestinians detained by Israel frequently report beatings and poor conditions.

I asked the question as on the surface it gives the impression of a hostage swap, but the reporting is the Israelis are hostages (no argument there) but the Palestinians are prisoners.
  • TheBigBean

I asked the question as on the surface it gives the impression of a hostage swap, but the reporting is the Israelis are hostages (no argument there) but the Palestinians are prisoners.
    Yes, it is a freedom fighter/ terrorist situation. Think some UK politicians would explode if the BBC started calling them all detainees. They could call the soliders POWs, but I guess it is not something anyone is fighting for.