Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Seem to be a lot of people struggling to understand that free speech involves allowing people to be rude and disrespectful.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    rjsterry said:

Seem to be a lot of people struggling to understand that free speech involves allowing people to be rude and disrespectful.

A lot of people favour free speech up to the point where someone says something that they disagree with.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

A lot of people favour free speech up to the point where someone says something that they disagree with.
    The pro-Palestinian marches in London are prominent in the news at the moment. These marches seem to have a lot of banners advocating "Free Palestine".
    Will a "Free Palestine" involve, free speech, equal rights for women, democracy, no forced marriages, no terrorist elite etc. ?
    A bit like Israel perhaps. Sounds good to me.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

The pro-Palestinian marches in London are prominent in the news at the moment. These marches seem to have a lot of banners advocating "Free Palestine".
    Will a "Free Palestine" involve, free speech, equal rights for women, democracy, trial by jury, no forced marriages etc. ?
    A bit like Israel perhaps. Sounds good to me.
    How is trial by jury working out for the thousands detained by Israel at the moment? This conflict does tend to bring out unparalleled levels of whataboutism.
  • Are the hostages from October 7th being "detained"?
  • TheBigBean
    Yes, but what about

• ...what/who created the Universe?
  • The Pacific is massive.
  • TheBigBean
    Lake Baikal contains 22% of the world's fresh water. One lake. Probably bigger than a pond.
  • Lake Baikal contains 22% of the world's fresh water. One lake. Probably bigger than a pond.

Situated in south-east Siberia, the 3.15-million-ha Lake Baikal is the oldest (25 million years) and deepest (1,700 m) lake in the world. It contains 20% of the world's total unfrozen freshwater reserve.
    https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/754/#:~:text=Situated in south-east Siberia,world's total unfrozen freshwater reserve.

Incredible Big Bean, top marks for not using your internet brain too.
  • TheBigBean
    The highest point in the world, as measured by the distance from the centre of the earth, is Mt Chimborazo in Ecuador.

No news about this today.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

The highest point in the world, as measured by the distance from the centre of the earth, is Mt Chimborazo in Ecuador.

No news about this today.

That is an unsatisfactory way to measure height.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited November 2023
    Better or worse than a constantly - literally twice daily to million year scale- measure against sea level though..?

Where art thou Keunsberg!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    So goaded by the hateful witch Braverman the far right have indeed turned up to ‘protect’ the cenotaph. Entirely predictable and caused by our elected leaders. Even though they weren’t leaders at the election.
    What a shitshow.
  • When all the damage is done will she say, “Go home, we love you, you’re very special”.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

So goaded by the hateful witch Braverman the far right have indeed turned up to ‘protect’ the cenotaph. Entirely predictable and caused by our elected leaders. Even though they weren’t leaders at the election.
    What a shitshow.

There’s a bit of an irony in far right hooligans disrupting people protesting against the actions of Israel.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    edited November 2023
    Hmm, is there the tiniest bit of information the DM isn't telling us about here?

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    🤔 seem to have missed out on the swastika tattoos and the Chelsea FC tops. Wonder why. And no mention of little Tommy Two-Names?
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

What a shitshow.

There’s a bit of an irony in far right hooligans disrupting people protesting against the actions of Israel.
    Far right protestors support far right government?
  • The Mail comments section is in meltdown saying it proves Braverman is right and there is two tier policing.

Fucking idiots, I would hope that police deal with tooled up knuckle draggers trying to kick off differently to those peacefully protesting.

They really are thick as shit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited November 2023
    ✌🏻

The longitudinal analysis shows that the class model of party support developed by Butler and Stokes in the 1960s has considerably weakened and the age effects have become much stronger over time. However, these changes have different effects on support for the Conservatives and Labour. Cohort effects were largely absent in the case of Labour, but they played a central role in explaining declining support for the Conservatives among the young over a period of more than half century.

Tories really are toxic to young people.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

✌🏻

The longitudinal analysis shows that the class model of party support developed by Butler and Stokes in the 1960s has considerably weakened and the age effects have become much stronger over time. However, these changes have different effects on support for the Conservatives and Labour. Cohort effects were largely absent in the case of Labour, but they played a central role in explaining declining support for the Conservatives among the young over a period of more than half century.

Tories really are toxic.
    FTFY
  • Nothing like showing your ‘respect’ by getting beered and sniffed up, and kicking off with the police. Utter, utter cunts.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Pross said:

What a shitshow.

Far right protestors support far right government?
    Is that the Israeli government or UK under PM Braverman?
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited November 2023
    Anyone here like Bill Maher? Left leaning but pro-western atheist. You may or may not agree with everything he says but at least he's sometimes funny and often insightful.
    I wish we had current affairs presenters like him in the UK. Though the absence of a whooping and cheering audience would definitely be a requirement.
    Check out his "New Rules"
  • briantrumpet

Anyone here like Bill Maher? Left leaning but pro-western atheist. You may or may not agree with everything he says but at least he's sometimes funny and often insightful. I wish we had current affairs presenters like him in the UK.

He's a weird one... I'm not sure he's always 'left leaning'... he's definitely hawkish on Israel and his dislike of the Muslim world.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    He’s awful.
  • Anyone here like Bill Maher? Left leaning but pro-western atheist. You may or may not agree with everything he says but at least he's sometimes funny and often insightful. I wish we had current affairs presenters like him in the UK.

He's a weird one... I'm not sure he's always 'left leaning'.
    You should watch some of the stuff he has to say about Trump.
  • briantrumpet

Anyone here like Bill Maher? Left leaning but pro-western atheist. You may or may not agree with everything he says but at least he's sometimes funny and often insightful. I wish we had current affairs presenters like him in the UK.

He's a weird one... I'm not sure he's always 'left leaning'.
    You should watch some of the stuff he has to say about Trump.

Yeah, seen that, but it is playing to his audience. I don't actually know what he stands for, other than realising Trump is nuts. His anti-muslim stance is not up for debate: his cynicism goes out of the window.