Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited November 2023

pangolin said:

I do find it a strange position (and it seems a fairly popular one) that the Hamas attack (however horrific) was some kind of start.

what i find hard to understand is why you and others can not look at other circumstances and use that as a benchmark.

I would see this as equivalent to 9/11 and as that was before my time on here I have no idea if you lot were wringing your hands and bemoaning innocent deaths as a result of the US disproportionate response.

As they were digging out the bodies why were they not sitting down with bin Laden to find a route to lasting peace
    Hardly a success though, was it? Widely considered to be the defining foreign policy failure of the 00s that has since undermined America's position globally, not to mention the 100,000s of dead civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan, for what precisely?
    they haven't done it again
    Sure. Israel has the cards here though, and they're playing them badly. This is not the route to a solution that suits their interest. And lots will die while they work that one out, and they'll haemorrhage international support in the process.
  • rick_chasey
    One thing that this conflict has shown is the geopolitical implications of the West having a lot of immigration from that part of the world. There's now a significant minority of people who have imported those political values to the West.

• If Humanity ignored the negative would it become more positive?
  • One thing that this conflict has shown is the geopolitical implications of the West having a lot of immigration from that part of the world. There's now a significant minority of people who have imported those political values to the West.

as a matter of interest would tvvatting around with war memorials be a failure of your citizenship test?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

One thing that this conflict has shown is the geopolitical implications of the West having a lot of immigration from that part of the world. There's now a significant minority of people who have imported those political values to the West.

as a matter of interest would tvvatting around with war memorials be a failure of your citizenship test?
    I dunno, if you're directly targeting the war memorials on the right dates, I'd say that shows a pretty good understanding of the UK, no?

My citizenship test would be exclusively a language test, anyway.

Make 'em write a letter asking HMRC for a rebate, with various tricky criteria and see if they can do that etc.

Gotta be able to navigate the bureaucracy.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    Also, to be clear SC, not everyone is trigged by messing about with war memorials.

Certainly in my peer group and friends, most couldn't give much of a sh!t. They're not going around graffitiing them but nor are they exercised by it.
  • One thing that this conflict has shown is the geopolitical implications of the West having a lot of immigration from that part of the world. There's now a significant minority of people who have imported those political values to the West.

I dunno, if you're directly targeting the war memorials on the right dates, I'd say that shows a pretty good understanding of the UK, no?

Make 'em write a letter asking HMRC for a rebate, with various tricky criteria and see if they can do that etc.

I don't disagree with the language test but would add a layer for "being a good citizen"

As an eg Daniel Hannan would have been kicked out for coming over here and stirring up trouble
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

I don't disagree with the language test but would add a layer for "being a good citizen"

As an eg Daniel Hannan would have been kicked out for coming over here and stirring up trouble
    you're not the free marketer liberal I thought you were. Good citizens is far too subjective.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Is twatting around with war memorials worse than interfering with any other monument? How about compared to other crimes, is it worse than shop lifting? There are definitely more important things to worry about, especially when the only phucktards twatting about near war memorials are the simpletons claiming to be protecting them.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125

pangolin said:

I do find it a strange position (and it seems a fairly popular one) that the Hamas attack (however horrific) was some kind of start.

what i find hard to understand is why you and others can not look at other circumstances and use that as a benchmark.

I would see this as equivalent to 9/11 and as that was before my time on here I have no idea if you lot were wringing your hands and bemoaning innocent deaths as a result of the US disproportionate response.

As they were digging out the bodies why were they not sitting down with bin Laden to find a route to lasting peace
    Hardly a success though, was it? Widely considered to be the defining foreign policy failure of the 00s that has since undermined America's position globally, not to mention the 100,000s of dead civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan, for what precisely?
    they didn't do it in the first place

bin laden was saudi, that's the country infamous for exporting it's strict/intolerant/extreme wahhabi interpretation of islam to poor nations, thereby creating a situation where extremism could more easily flourish
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod said:

pangolin said:

bin laden was saudi, that's the country infamous for exporting it's strict/intolerant/extreme wahhabi interpretation of islam to poor nations, thereby creating a situation where extremism could more easily flourish
    Even better - nobody else has done it again

Is twatting around with war memorials worse than interfering with any other monument? How about compared to other crimes, is it worse than shop lifting? There are definitely more important things to worry about, especially when the only phucktards twatting about near war memorials are the simpletons claiming to be protecting them.
    I see a system whereby I am the sole arbiter.

I don't see one off shoplifting as a kick outable offence though it depend upon the shop and the circumstances.

And I would also ban the police from protecting protestors from the people they are deliberately winding up
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I don't think the 9/11 attacks nor the US response should be used as a template for good policy no.
    Literally what Biden said to Netanyahu.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I don't think the 9/11 attacks nor the US response should be used as a template for good policy no.
    Not sure how to take that :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry

pangolin said:

Blimey you have a short memory.

'They' didn't hijack any further planes because airport security was tightened up significantly, but there is a long list of subsequent Islamist terrorist attacks up to the present day.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited November 2023
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Blimey you have a short memory.

'They' didn't hijack any further planes because airport security was tightened up significantly, but there is a long list of subsequent Islamist terrorist attacks up to the present day.
    IIRC some tried it in Glasgow. That was never repeated. 🤣
    And they didn't have to adopt a foreign policy either.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125

sungod said:

pangolin said:

Even better - nobody else has done it again
    tell that to victims in london, paris, brussells, mumbai, boston, mogadishu, sousse, nice, etc., they'll be able to put you right

isis/isil/affiliates are still slaughtering, direct descendants of the wahhabis via al qaeda

the world has plenty of people claiming their imaginary friend(s) justify their bloodshed, even the buddhists are at it

the response to 9/11 hasn't dissuaded anyone
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

OK, not verbatim, but he was pretty clear that Netanyahu should not repeat the mistakes the US made after 9/11. Principally because it demonstrably has not worked. They lost about 1900 servicemen and women in Afghanistan and it's still run by the Taliban and a perfect place for Islamist terrorists to hang out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

OK, not verbatim, but he was pretty clear that Netanyahu should not repeat the mistakes the US made after 9/11. Principally because it demonstrably has not worked. They lost about 1900 servicemen and women in Afghanistan and it's still run by the Taliban and a perfect place for Islamist terrorists to hang out.
    It was more friendly advice than a threat though.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • In the news today, food, water, fuel and medical supplies will run out within the next couple of days in Gaza City. A narrative we have been presented with for the last few weeks.
    I'm reminded of Aesop's fable of "The boy that cried wolf".
    Now that we're in a situation where there may actually be a wolf, the listeners may be mistaken in taking the warnings with a pinch of salt.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

It was more friendly advice than a threat though.
    Maybe the better for it, although I doubt Netanyahu will take it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Hamas telling porkies and Israel telling porkies are not mutually exclusive.

I suspect the idea of pork pies is one of the few things both sides would find offensive!
  • Pross said:

Hamas telling porkies and Israel telling porkies are not mutually exclusive.

I suspect the idea of pork pies is one of the few things both sides would find offensive!
    I know this is a serious subject, but I couldn't help giggling.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Outstanding work Pross

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    In the absence of Chris Morris eviscerating what passes for journalism all too often...

• TheBigBean
    Biden has said that some of the murdering settlers in the West Bank might not be able to holiday in the US.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    IDF press conference showing video from 7th October claiming Hamas taking hostages and military vehicles to the Al Shifa hospital, and video of tunnels under the hospital.
  • TheBigBean
    edited November 2023

IDF press conference showing video from 7th October claiming Hamas taking hostages and military vehicles to the Al Shifa hospital, and video of tunnels under the hospital.

The trouble is that even if, and that is a big if given the source*, the videos are genuine. They don't justify military action against a hospital. Particularly in the case of one injured hostage - isn't hospital a sensible place to take someone with an injury?

*The BBC discredited one of the recent videos showing a gun cache. It had been edited, time cut, more guns added etc. We've also seen actors in Lebanon being used to show Gazan ambulances and clips from wars several years ago.

Anyway, Israel has found a new hospital to drive tanks into and a new UN school to bomb.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

Anyway, Israel has found a new hospital to drive tanks into and a new UN school to bomb.

And having told 1m people to flee to the south, it appears they are moving the offensive to the south. I still think this is an operation to lay waste to the whole of Gaza and drive Palestinians out of it, or leave it so uninhabitable that they'll mostly leave.