2023 Transfer rumours and confirmed moves

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,095
    I'm already looking at start lists on the woman's side and if SD Worx are riding dropping that race to the bottom of watching priority.
    Really don't want to do this on the men's side as well. It's close enough to it at the moment with the current JV team.

Combine JV and QS (or QS and INEOS)? It'll certainly reduce my enthusiasm for watching.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,662

This is what competitive cycling looks like
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Not so much
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,187
    daniel_b said:

The only sensible explanation I can think of it's it's a way of smoking out Ineos. Looking at the respective teams, an Ineos/SQS merger makes a lot of sense; you would make a great classics team out of the two and Ineos get the GC leader they need.

This is not being snarky at all, I'm just not understanding the highlighted phrase properly :#

When you say smoke out, is that as in to force them to make a much better offer or something, or simply to bring them to the table at all, as otherwise they feel like they will likely be outgunned for years to come.

As for the 2nd part, yep, could not agree more, it seemed so logical, it felt like it was destined to happen.

Do people think all this turmoil is in part a function of fiscal tightening across the board .

Seems entirely likely, more and more issues securing sponsors, and what sponsors there are will probably go for the more sure fire bets, such as footballing etc etc.
    Smoking out basically means forcing them to make a move.

From what has been rumoured there were talks about an Ineos SQS merger that met an impasse. Since then Ineos have been looking at making signings, suggesting they are hedging their bets for 2024. The JV SQS merger would take away what is still probably the best option, unless they come back to the table.

Pat, for all his faults, has always been a wily negotiator.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,662
    Understood fully now, cheers :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,495

markwb79 said:

I really can't wrap my head around this.

What's in it for Jumbo-Visma?
    I can only think of Remco that would add to the team really.
    I dont see Remco wanting to be anything other than the top person in a team, he is never going to ride for Vingegaard. And being in the same team or race as WvA?

Maybe they are bring a sponsor or two, but why dont just the sponsors move over?

That is a lot of good riders going onto the free market now. It's also going to bring down the average salary I would have thought.

Just weird

I dont totally get it. But it’s longer term cost savings- at the expense of entertainment sadly.
    The only sensible explanation I can think of it's it's a way of smoking out Ineos. Looking at the respective teams, an Ineos/SQS merger makes a lot of sense; you would make a great classics team out of the two and Ineos get the GC leader they need.

I think Alaphillipe and Asgreen might object to banner of "won't add anything to JV roster" but there is no denying that the strongest riders between the two are 90% Jumbos.
    Still not convinced by that. It might upgrade their chances but I still don't see them winning the Tour if they get Remco.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,058

I think Alaphillipe and Asgreen might object to banner of "won't add anything to JV roster"

Alaphillipe has been fired according to the French press. Guess that will give him a bit more time at home to work on his garden.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    davidof said:

I think Alaphillipe and Asgreen might object to banner of "won't add anything to JV roster"

Alaphillipe has been fired according to the French press. Guess that will give him a bit more time at home to work on his garden.

Did they say why?!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,187
    Pross said:

markwb79 said:

I really can't wrap my head around this.

What's in it for Jumbo-Visma?
    I can only think of Remco that would add to the team really.
    I dont see Remco wanting to be anything other than the top person in a team, he is never going to ride for Vingegaard. And being in the same team or race as WvA?

Maybe they are bring a sponsor or two, but why dont just the sponsors move over?

That is a lot of good riders going onto the free market now. It's also going to bring down the average salary I would have thought.

Just weird

I dont totally get it. But it’s longer term cost savings- at the expense of entertainment sadly.

I think Alaphillipe and Asgreen might object to banner of "won't add anything to JV roster" but there is no denying that the strongest riders between the two are 90% Jumbos.
    Still not convinced by that. It might upgrade their chances but I still don't see them winning the Tour if they get Remco.
    I'd agree with your assessment. But a pretty significant upgrade. Also he's still only 23 and would likely benefit from their support and experience as a GC focused team, especially on tactics.
  • davidof said:

Just him, or all 23 of next year's contracted riders?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,218
    Bouhanni to retire at the end of the season.

• mididoctors
    davidof said:

Fired or let go?
  • mididoctors
    He is still a dam strong rider
  • andyp said:

Bouhanni to retire at the end of the season.

I think that leaves retirement as about the only thing he hasn't fought in his career.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,058

davidof said:

Fired or let go?
    made redundant, the whole team apparently

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Le-licenciement-du-personnel-de-soudal-quick-step-annonce-ce-lundi/1422999

Evenepoel to Ineos without having to pay a penny, apparently.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    davidof said:

davidof said:

Fired or let go?

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Le-licenciement-du-personnel-de-soudal-quick-step-annonce-ce-lundi/1422999

That's an end of an era ...
  • daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 250
    edited October 2023
    davidof said:

davidof said:

Fired or let go?

If this were true, why bother with the merger. The value in SQS is in the rider contracts and the world tour licence. It makes no sense for Jumbo to do this unless they are getting some rider contracts. They have a WT licence already.

I guess the Sponsor is the other thing, but they have another year to replace Jumbo I thought. Jumbo are obviously paying the owners of SQS something. Perhaps shares in Plugge’s company, perhaps cash.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 477
    This from Dan Benson yesterday on X

• daniel_b
    Yep, that was buried in the cyclingmagazine link I posted.

I hope it's not true, what a way for such a team to die completely, would be very sad.

I've always like JA's riding style, I hope he can get back to his best, and find a suitable home - didn't realise that he has spent his entire pro career with them, since 2013.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • If the riders have a contract, they can't just be told that it's over, surely. It's not like the team has gone bust.

They'd need to settle with the riders based on the future value of the contract even if they wanted no transfer fee.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,141
    It's an absolute 5hitshow.....and reflects badly on the sport, and the viability of the sport. Still relying on handouts from sponsors...
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac said:

It's an absolute 5hitshow.....and reflects badly on the sport, and the viability of the sport. Still relying on handouts from sponsors...

But if (as seems likely) it ends up with Vingegaard, Evenepoel, Roglic and Pogacar all at different teams with decent money behind them, and also Evenepoel, Pogacar, Van Aert and Van Der Poel all at different teams, then we have some racing on our hands, don't we?
  • joeyhalloran

andyrac said:

But if (as seems likely) it ends up with Vingegaard, Evenepoel, Roglic and Pogacar all at different teams with decent money behind them, and also Evenepoel, Pogacar, Van Aert and Van Der Poel all at different teams, then we have some racing on our hands, don't we?
    I don't think it will make much difference tbh, the only change is Roglic and he can't really compete with the others when everyone is 100%
  • Roglic has finished 7 GTs since 2019 and not been off the podium in any of them.
  • joeyhalloran
    But how many times has he beaten Vingegaard or Pogacar and, more recently, Evenepoel?

Basically changing who comes 3rd or 4th and the Tour isn't going to make a season that much more exciting.
  • I'd say he made the 2020 Tour pretty exciting, and him on a different team would have made the 2023 Vuelta more exciting.
  • daniel_b

But how many times has he beaten Vingegaard or Pogacar and, more recently, Evenepoel?

I appreciate it is not a GT, but Roglic beat Evenopoel at the Volta a Catalunya earlier this year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18