2023 Transfer rumours and confirmed moves

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,496
    m.r.m. said:

I don't understand how it could even be theoretically possible for Ineos to sign Pogacar away from UAE if he is signed until 2027. UAE don't seem like a team needing to sell the best rider in the world for some cash. Their team and success is entirely built around Pogacar.

The guy is one of the big agents. He'll be talking to teams all the time. In sure "any chance Tadej would fancy a move?" Comes up all the time.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,218
    Roglic will leave JV according to Wielerfits, destination either Lidl-Trek or Ineos.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,662
    Yep saw that, Bahrain and Movistar interested too, but then I suppose any team with ambitions and cash would be really.
    Wonder what TGH would think if Roglic ended up at Lidl.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 477
    daniel_b said:

Yep saw that, Bahrain and Movistar interested too, but then I suppose any team with ambitions and cash would be really.

I can't think Tao will be too happy with that. Or CRod or G at Ineos.

Daniel Friebe said on the latest Cycling Podcast that Ratcliffe wants a rider that can win the Tour, is Roglic that rider? Up against Pog, Vin, Remco etc.......
  • roscoe said:

daniel_b said:

Daniel Friebe said on the latest Cycling Podcast that Ratcliffe wants a rider that can win the Tour, is Roglic that rider? Up against Pog, Vin, Remco etc.......
    I personally think that Remco is also likely to leave. He is not going to be happy with not being No 1 at the TDF next year. That will be an implied part of his contract in all probability if not an actual term.

Ineos is the likely destination I would have thought. Leaving the path open for Roglic to go to Lidl.

All that said, I do wonder whether this is about Fat Pat bringing Ineos back to the table after they walked away a couple of weeks ago.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,375
    roscoe said:

daniel_b said:

He probably isn't, but he is the closest one that may actually be available. Those 4 mentioned are the only ones (currently) for whom the case can be made that they can win the Tour in the near future.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,375
    edited September 2023

roscoe said:

daniel_b said:

I personally think that Remco is also likely to leave. He is not going to be happy with not being No 1 at the TDF next year. That will be an implied part of his contract in all probability if not an actual term.

Ineos is the likely destination I would have thought. Leaving the path open for Roglic to go to Lidl.

All that said, I do wonder whether this is about Fat Pat bringing Ineos back to the table after they walked away a couple of weeks ago.
    If the Tour lacks ITT km's I'm not sure Remco wouldn't try for the Giro/Vuelta double next year considering how those races went for him this year and then target the Tour in 2025.

He probably wants Olympic gold in the ITT and maybe even the road race, so that would factor in in terms of schedule planning and peaking form as well.
    Not sure if that means the Tour is less or more likely.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,259
    Can't imagine him in that team. Ineos absolutely. Thomas has a limited shelf life now and he is still capable of finishing well a la Adam Yates but isn't going to beat Jonas or Pog
  • m.r.m. said:

roscoe said:

daniel_b said:

If the Tour lacks ITT km's I'm not sure Remco wouldn't try for the Giro/Vuelta double next year considering how those races went for him this year and then target the Tour in 2025.

He probably wants Olympic gold in the ITT and maybe even the road race, so that would factor in in terms of schedule planning and peaking form as well.
    Not sure if that means the Tour is less or more likely.
    Remco has been very clear about riding the tour next year. He has ambitions to be a well known GT champion, and next year will be his 6th pro year. It’s unthinkable he won’t be going to the tour- in his mind. And he will not want to go as a number 2.
  • amrushton said:

Can't imagine him in that team. Ineos absolutely. Thomas has a limited shelf life now and he is still capable of finishing well a la Adam Yates but isn't going to beat Jonas or Pog

He's the new Valverde, he'd fit in perfectly.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,238
    Reports that Amazon will be coming in as sponsor for J-V
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,263
    Pity Amazon weren't doing a Jumbo documentary this year. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2023
    r0bh said:

I'm not sure I can ever recall so many rumours, and counter claims about riders, teams, mergers and sponsors.
    It's all over the place.

That would presumably crush the merger then as well.

IF it's true AND happens.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    daniel_b said:

r0bh said:

I'm not sure I can ever recall so many rumours, and counter claims about riders, teams, mergers and sponsors.
    It's all over the place.

That would presumably crush the merger then as well.

IF it's true AND happens.
    You're not alone in thinking it's all over the place.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,238
    Cycling Weakly now reporting that Amazon will co-sponsor the merged Jumbo-Visma-QuickStep-Soudal super-mega-team

So this might not crush the merge after all.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/amazon-to-co-sponsor-new-jumbo-visma-and-quick-step-super-team
  • daniel_b
    Oh wowsas ok, if the Amazon sponsorship meant that JV stayed solo, I thought that meant Remco would stay where he was, but if they are still merging, I would expect him to go elsewhere.

Ideally Pog, REv, JVin, and Roglic all at different teams would be the ideal from a fans point of view I would have thought.

Bizarre that they have put all this (or was it leaked) into the media so far ahead of anything being formally decided or agreed, AND it sound like it might not kick in until 2025, it's really odd.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    So the other teams just have to wait for Prime Day or Black Friday to snap up a bargain for riders out of contract? :D
  • Already got the aero helmet design
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,662
    daniel_b said:

Oh wowsas ok, if the Amazon sponsorship meant that JV stayed solo, I thought that meant Remco would stay where he was, but if they are still merging, I would expect him to go elsewhere.

Ideally Pog, REv, JVin, and Roglic all at different teams would be the ideal from a fans point of view I would have thought.

Bizarre that they have put all this (or was it leaked) into the media so far ahead of anything being formally decided or agreed, AND it sound like it might not kick in until 2025, it's really odd.

Yeah none of the big 4 should be on the same team
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The problem is if all 4 go to different teams then the team that comes 4th at the Tour is considered a failure. If you're a team much better to buy up as many of the 'big 4' as possible, there is so insentive not too if it can be afforded.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,929
    And if all 4 end up in the same team who would bother to watch any of the races?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 477
    Let me get this straight then, the new JumboVismaSoudalQuikstep collab team is going to be sponsored by Neom-Apple-Amazon.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,263
    If true that would create a super-team and would be the death knell of elite pro racing.
    IMO only, obviously.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,496
    If Roglic leaves I'm not convinced Evenepoel will too. He's flopped at the giro and vuelta which gives him an excuse to avoid the tour again and he loves an excuse.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,190
    edited September 2023
    gsk82 said:

If Roglic leaves I'm not convinced Evenepoel will too. He's flopped at the giro and vuelta which gives him an excuse to avoid the tour again and he loves an excuse.

He's won a Vuelta, 2 world championships, 8 GT stage wins, two monuments, 3 San Sebs and 9 other stage race GCs.

He's 23. It's a bit early to quit on a race he's never ridden due to a bout of Covid and a jour-sans
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    gsk82 said:

I've seen some shit hot takes over the past few days, but this is up there with the worst.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,662
    roscoe said:

Let me get this straight then, the new JumboVismaSoudalQuikstep collab team is going to be sponsored by Neom-Apple-Amazon.

Not feeling it either tbh

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm