2023 Transfer rumours and confirmed moves

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,190
    edited September 2023
    Amazon, the same as Apple, have never in their history delved into sports sponsorship. So why would they start with a Dutch cycling team? They both deal in rights to stuff. They have a Jumbo documentary, what more would they get. Disney+ don't sponsor Wrexham. Companies like that sponsor events, not teams. Unless there's a big cycling fan with clout there (like there is at Instagram for example)

Right now every journalist is desperate for a scoop on the story, so they are ripe for a con story. Just as post Armstrong they believed every doping story for a decade. I think the merger story is genuine and Roglic leaving was possible anyway. Anything else, I'll believe it when it happens,

My sources say Sony will be the sponsors, with an unnamed mobile phone giant as second sponsor. Apparently, they've set up a hotmail account.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Amazon, the same as Apple, have never in their history delved into sports sponsorship. So why would they start with a Dutch cycling team? They both deal in rights to stuff. They have a Jumbo documentary, what more would they get. Disney+ don't sponsor Wrexham. Companies like that sponsor events, not teams. Unless there's a big cycling fan with clout there (like there is at Instagram for example)

Right now every journalist is desperate for a scoop on the story, so they are ripe for a con story. Just as post Armstrong they believed every doping story for a decade. I think the merger story is genuine and Roglic leaving was possible anyway. Anything else, I'll believe it when it happens,

My sources say Sony will be the sponsors, with an unnamed mobile phone giant as second sponsor. Apparently, they've set up a hotmail account.

There are also journalists, and journalists.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,597
    edited September 2023
    Some stuff straight from the horses' mouths today -
    Roglic definitely leaving J-V, won't say where to until after Lombardia
    Lefevre confirms the J-V merger is a real thing, a letter of intent was signed and the QuiskStep team owner is on his way to sort things out

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,662
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,259
    edited September 2023
    Big cheque for Bora to write but that's a good team and Roglic prob a better deal than Sagan was
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,662
    Remarkable year for team changes ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • daniel_b said:
    Some of the stuff from journalists on social media is embarrassing. Benji attention seeker mainly. Which I guess is what hes doing. Encouraging people to think that JV are where they are today because of Roglic. Nonsense. He’s helped. Enormously, but they gradually built over 7 or 8 years not 3 or 4.
  • mididoctors
    Rabobank
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,263

Rabobank

???
    Does that mean my old jersey will soon be trendy? Imagine me being trendy. 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,218
    Not a transfer, but ex-Trek-Segafredo rider, Charlie Quarteman, has announced he's to retire from professional cycling at the end of this week.

• mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    andyp said:

Not a transfer, but ex-Trek-Segafredo rider, Charlie Quarteman, has announced he's to retire from professional cycling at the end of this week.

First rider to ride a grand tour with long mudguards since 1949 as seen in first photo. Kudos ;-)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,218
    This sounds ominous, report says that Soudal-Quick Step staff will get contract termination notices tomorrow.

• daniel_b
    Brutal, and all rather fast.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    daniel_b said:

Bit tough on long standing staff .......Lefevre gets demerits here .

Shitty behaviour. I speculate that they all probably guessed for a while
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080

daniel_b said:

Surely not from the cycling angel that is Leferve?

He's proven himself an arsehole in the past. For example he could have announced his retirement at the beginning of the year and given all his team lots of notice? Or found someone else to run/buy the team? This merger might be his quickest ticket to a nice pension but it screws over the entire team (from the outside at least)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,928
    How does that work for Landa?
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    phreak said:

How does that work for Landa?

I heard that riders salaries/contracts have to be honoured by the remaining team, even if they can't keep the rider. He could end up riding for another team but paid by Jumbo-Visma or he could be retained by Jumbo Visma
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    I really can't wrap my head around this.

What's in it for Jumbo-Visma?
    I can only think of Remco that would add to the team really.
    I dont see Remco wanting to be anything other than the top person in a team, he is never going to ride for Vingegaard. And being in the same team or race as WvA?

Maybe they are bring a sponsor or two, but why dont just the sponsors move over?

That is a lot of good riders going onto the free market now. It's also going to bring down the average salary I would have thought.

Just weird
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 477
    That’s not good at all.
  • markwb79 said:

I dont see Remco wanting to be anything other than the top person in a team, he is never going to ride for Vingegaard. And being in the same team or race as WvA?

Maybe they are bring a sponsor or two, but why dont just the sponsors move over?

That is a lot of good riders going onto the free market now. It's also going to bring down the average salary I would have thought.

Just weird

I dont totally get it. But it’s longer term cost savings- at the expense of entertainment sadly.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 477
    Not sure how this all works, but if it’s a merger, does that not make all contracts null and void? If they merge, do they form a new entity or merge under one?

If they merge under the existing Jumbo banner, surely the SoudalQS riders are free to leave?
  • pblakeney
    roscoe said:

Not sure how this all works, but if it’s a merger, does that not make all contracts null and void? If they merge, do they form a new entity or merge under one?

If they merge under the existing Jumbo banner, surely the SoudalQS riders are free to leave?

In mergers the strongest dictate terms.
    This means cherry picking the assets and everything else is got rid of. Yes, brutal.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,187

markwb79 said:

Just weird

I dont totally get it. But it’s longer term cost savings- at the expense of entertainment sadly.
    The only sensible explanation I can think of it's it's a way of smoking out Ineos. Looking at the respective teams, an Ineos/SQS merger makes a lot of sense; you would make a great classics team out of the two and Ineos get the GC leader they need.

I think Alaphillipe and Asgreen might object to banner of "won't add anything to JV roster" but there is no denying that the strongest riders between the two are 90% Jumbos.
  • mididoctors
    Do people think all this turmoil is in part a function of fiscal tightening across the board .
  • pblakeney

Do people think all this turmoil is in part a function of fiscal tightening across the board .

Yup!
    I dread to think what the smaller teams are facing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023

The only sensible explanation I can think of it's it's a way of smoking out Ineos. Looking at the respective teams, an Ineos/SQS merger makes a lot of sense; you would make a great classics team out of the two and Ineos get the GC leader they need.

This is not being snarky at all, I'm just not understanding the highlighted phrase properly :#

When you say smoke out, is that as in to force them to make a much better offer or something, or simply to bring them to the table at all, as otherwise they feel like they will likely be outgunned for years to come.

As for the 2nd part, yep, could not agree more, it seemed so logical, it felt like it was destined to happen.

Seems entirely likely, more and more issues securing sponsors, and what sponsors there are will probably go for the more sure fire bets, such as footballing etc etc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors

daniel_b said:

Surely not from the cycling angel that is Leferve?

He's proven himself an censored in the past. For example he could have announced his retirement at the beginning of the year and given all his team lots of notice? Or found someone else to run/buy the team? This merger might be his quickest ticket to a nice pension but it screws over the entire team (from the outside at least)
    It's bad by his own shitty standards

• mididoctors
    It's the craziest shake up in the peloton I can remember..

Been a few disasters .le groupment fiasco comes to mind but nothing like this across the board musical chairs