2023 Transfer rumours and confirmed moves

Comments

• I can't really see what JV get out of the deal, they already have better GC, classics and domestic riders.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I can't really see what JV get out of the deal, they already have better GC, classics and domestic riders.

Fewer bills to front a team up!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473

I can't really see what JV get out of the deal, they already have better GC, classics and domestic riders.

A sponsor.
  • If this is the only way JV can get a sponsor, rather than finding someone new, then the sport is doomed. I do remember a similar problem with Columbia-HTC and Team Sky where the best teams struggle but surely some other company is the world wants to sponsor a team other than Soudal? In fact, if that's the case why doesn't Soudal just move their sponsorship?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Aren't there a couple of teams out there looking for a WT licence who would step up if one becomes available from the merger?
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Pross said:

Aren't there a couple of teams out there looking for a WT licence who would step up if one becomes available from the merger?

Tudor or Q36 may be interested, or it may be too soon or them.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,246
    andyp said:

Morkov rumoured to be Astana bound.

Ooh!
  • andyp said:

Morkov rumoured to be Astana bound.

This is coming from Danish TV2. It's still unconfirmed, but they're usually a bit more cautious than the usual tabloid rumour-mongers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    edited September 2023
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    daniel_b said:
    Cyclinguptodate just copies articles from elsewhere and presents them as if they wrote them. Joke of a site.
  • daniel_b
    After 3 years at Bora - will be be the main FDJ sprinter?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2023
    Blimey, and so it (potentially) continues.

Looks like he is\was contracted with Ineos until the end of 2024.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    "Don't wanna start rumours, just saying" lol.
  • andyp

"Don't wanna start rumours, just saying" lol.

He's definitely stirring the pot. There's more below, but it's a direct quote from the Watts Occurring podcast.

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/racing/news/remco-hates-jumbo-and-jumbo-hates-remco-geraint-thomas-reacts-to-visma-soudal-merger-talks
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2023
    Allegedly Ineos have gotten the ball rolling with extending riders contracts, and the Foss move could be back on.

I wonder if that could be because a possible merger is now dead in the water.

I see there are more rumours about Roglic again, but he'll be 3 months shy of turning 35 when the next TDF starts, would they really want to invest in someone who would only have a couple of years left at the top, but likely still require a high salary?
    I suppose they could offer a 1 year contract, and hope to bag a GT with him in that year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Roglic is a difficult one to age in cycling years.

Yes, he's 33 but he's only properly been going at it near the pointy end of GTs for the last 6 years.

There's also that rumour that he could jump off a ski ramp before he could ride a bike, so I'm not convinced that he's the same as any other cyclist turning 35 before next Christmas.

I thought he'd be a reasonable fit with Bahrain (although he might not want to room with Fred).
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,457
    daniel_b said:

I see there are more rumours about Roglic again, but he'll be 3 months shy of turning 35 when the next TDF starts, would they really want to invest in someone who would only have a couple of years left at the top, but likely still require a high salary?
    I suppose they could offer a 1 year contract, and hope to bag a GT with him in that year.

Will his ability to ride 250 m in the wind for bonus seconds decline that much by then? He can probably stay in contention until 38-40 or go the full Valverde.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2023
    m.r.m. said:

daniel_b said:

Will his ability to ride 250 m in the wind for bonus seconds decline that much by then? He can probably stay in contention until 38-40 or go the full Valverde.
    You could be right there, but whether he would want to might be another matter.
    He just doesn't strike me as an Ineos rider, as in his riding style, but maybe if they are desperate to get some results, or DB is, maybe that would change, though DB strikes me as a principled 'stick to your playbook' kind of guy.

Roglic is a difficult one to age in cycling years.

Yes, he's 33 but he's only properly been going at it near the pointy end of GTs for the last 6 years.

There's also that rumour that he could jump off a ski ramp before he could ride a bike, so I'm not convinced that he's the same as any other cyclist turning 35 before next Christmas.

I thought he'd be a reasonable fit with Bahrain (although he might not want to room with Fred).

Yes I realise he is relatively new to the sport, but not sure if that means he might go on for longer than some other riders.
    I do of course realise how old Thomas is, and how competitive he still is, so it can clearly be done, and agreed, Valverde was always there or thereabouts right up until the end.

See some JVis + Apple rumours now doing the rounds too.

Looks like it could be a tumultuous couple of years for the big WT teams and riders, wonder what the landscape will be come the 2025 season kicking off.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Roglic isn't going to win a Grand Tour where he is racing Jonas and / or Pogacar on their peak form so I really don't see much point in signing him unless it is to send him to the Giro when the others are racing the Tour.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2023
    Allegedly Ineos have been speaking to Pogacar's agent to see if he is available / interested. He's contracted until 2027, that would be a pricey buy out I think.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    daniel_b said:

Allegedly Ineos have been speaking to Pogacar's agent to see if he is available / interested. He's contracted until 2027, that would be a pricey buy out I think.

Does this mean Sir Jim has given up on buying Man Utd and is going to pour the money into cycling instead?🤣
  • Cav’s old coach Vasilis Anastopoulos is now rumoured to be leaving QS for Astana.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,457
    I don't understand how it could even be theoretically possible for Ineos to sign Pogacar away from UAE if he is signed until 2027. UAE don't seem like a team needing to sell the best rider in the world for some cash. Their team and success is entirely built around Pogacar.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023