S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

gsk82 said:

Mas mechanical.
    Pogacar will have a huge gap by the finish.

Is it ominous he's already riding away or has he not learnt he needs to stop spreading him keep it so thinly if he wants to win the tour?
    I just hope he keeps doing it, I would much rather see a rider trying to win everything they ride than concentrating on the Tour (as a sponsor my views might differ though). For far too long we've had the top riders concentrating on a few races a year at most.

That's a myth though. Pogacar's predecessors, Contador and Froome usually rode to win all season. Go and have a look at Froome's 2013 season. He was almost unbeaten in stage races til the end of the Tour (came 2nd in TA). In 2015 they were first and second in the very race Pogacar is now winning, duelling on the two queen stages.

Don't fall for this 'new generation' malarky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfjCtGmuFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S-vH3H9dic
    Did I miss their top 10s in MSR and the Belgian Classics?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Didn’t the likes of Merckx, Kelly and Hainault race a full season winning through out.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    webboo said:

Didn’t the likes of Merckx, Kelly and Hainault race a full season winning through out.

Yes, but I would argue they fall the wrong side of 'for way too long'.
  • Who cares?

Anyway, big decent break away in Adalucia, I imagine should make it, especially as the finishing steep climb has been taken out due to high winds.
  • Who cares?

Anyway, big decent break away in Adalucia, I imagine should make it, especially as the finishing steep climb has been taken out due to high winds.

Except UAE can't give it too much, so who knows?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,540
    andyp said:

Top level bike racers in wanting to race their bike shocker.

I think there is a tendency amongst journalists, and people more generally, to accept what they saw when they were growing up as the norm. In the peak doping years - so 1990 through to 2006 - the top riders generally weren't competitive in early spring, especially those aiming for the Tour. This is a generalisation of course, as I'm sure anyone can find an example of a Tour winning doing well in an early season race, but there was definitely a pattern, presumably because their doping patterns dictated a slow build up to a high peak.

In the 1970s and 80s and before that (although I'm too young to know), the big names generally raced all year round as they do now, so that era of Indurain and Armstrong was the anomaly, not the norm.

In fairness to Indurain he did to the Giro Tour double twice whilst finishing second at the Worlds.

• Anyway, big decent break away in Adalucia, I imagine should make it, especially as the finishing steep climb has been taken out due to high winds.

They go straight on here instead of turning right 😢

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LjErQfzesr5F6fWL6
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

They go straight on here instead of turning right 😢

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LjErQfzesr5F6fWL6
    Going to be a bit fast on that shallower gradient. Narrow as feck

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

andyp said:

I think there is a tendency amongst journalists, and people more generally, to accept what they saw when they were growing up as the norm. In the peak doping years - so 1990 through to 2006 - the top riders generally weren't competitive in early spring, especially those aiming for the Tour. This is a generalisation of course, as I'm sure anyone can find an example of a Tour winning doing well in an early season race, but there was definitely a pattern, presumably because their doping patterns dictated a slow build up to a high peak.

In the 1970s and 80s and before that (although I'm too young to know), the big names generally raced all year round as they do now, so that era of Indurain and Armstrong was the anomaly, not the norm.

In fairness to Indurain he did to the Giro Tour double twice whilst finishing second at the Worlds.

...and has also won Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, and the Dauphine. Unsurprisingly, given the team where he was, there's close to zero effort at one day classics, which were seen as a substantial risk for no reward.

What is true, however, is that Armstrong did next to nothing before the TDF. He did, however, win FV, and podium both LBL and Amstel.
  • Who cares?

Which essentially means the GC is sorted after stage 2 as there’s nothing really challenging in the weekend stages.
    What was a rather odd race design just became a Shiite race design.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • As for today’s debate, it’s worth noting that Pogacar, at 24, already has 3 more career wins than Froome.
    So there’s racing to win and then there’s racing to win.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    drhaggis said:

andyp said:

...and has also won Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, and the Dauphine. Unsurprisingly, given the team where he was, there's close to zero effort at one day classics, which were seen as a substantial risk for no reward.

What is true, however, is that Armstrong did next to nothing before the TDF. He did, however, win FV, and podium both LBL and Amstel.
    Indurain never won Paris-Nice once he was a genuine Tour contender, his victories came early in his career when he was still maturing as a rider. Also, back when he was riding Catalunya was held in late summer, Catalan Week was held in the slot Catalunya occupies. I was in the area for Catalan Week in 1994 and 1995, saw the race and he was a long way off winning form, often being seen at the back of the peloton.

He was in the winning break in L-B-L in 1991, with Argentin, Sorensen and Criquellion, but that was before his first Tour win.
  • Andalucia has morphed into Flanders.
    Grey, flat and windy. Breakaway rider just blown off the road and for a minute we had echelons.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited February 2023
    Pross said:

I just hope he keeps doing it, I would much rather see a rider trying to win everything they ride than concentrating on the Tour (as a sponsor my views might differ though). For far too long we've had the top riders concentrating on a few races a year at most.

Pross said:

That's not what you said though, Iis it. You bemoaned riders concentrating on just the Tour or a few races. That hasn't actually been the case since Rasmussen
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Bit windy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

That's not what you said though, Iis it. You bemoaned riders concentrating on just the Tour or a few races. That hasn't actually been the case since Rasmussen

As a long time watcher of this sport I would say there is truth to both positions.

It does feel different these days as though their is more at stake ... I tend to agree 1990 to 2006 was a distorted and rather crap era in hindsight .

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Didn't Sky mark a change of approach from the Armstrong/Ullrich/Pantani era when they seldom did anything of note outside of their chosen GT? Sky brought in the guy from swimming where there isn't really one or two peaks in a season but more consistent performance throughout the year.
  • mididoctors
    edited February 2023
    phreak said:

Didn't Sky mark a change of approach from the Armstrong/Ullrich/Pantani era when they seldom did anything of note outside of their chosen GT? Sky brought in the guy from swimming where there isn't really one or two peaks in a season but more consistent performance throughout the year.

Armstrong at Paris nice was embarrassing... Proper porky ... I remember the swimmer coach thing

• mididoctors
    Massive TV coverage of every race out there has a effect on perception
  • mididoctors
    Tim going all in thumping it out for the win
  • Considering they took out the last steep part, that was a tough finish. Wellens great early season form.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited February 2023

As for today’s debate, it’s worth noting that Pogacar, at 24, already has 3 more career wins than Froome.
    So there’s racing to win and then there’s racing to win.

In that case it's also worth noting that Pogacar was mentored by ex-pro Andrei Hauptman at the age of 12 and professionally coached from then, while the other came from a country that has never produced another top level pro and only got a road bike aged 18.

In other news, boys educated Eton do better than those from Windsor Comp. The new young generation is populated by kids who benefitted from their parents. Mattieu Van der Poel is basically Prince William. ('ve previously likened him to a race horse - sired by Adrien, covering one of Poulidor's foals.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    MvdP cannot be equated to Prince William; simply based on actual achievement. Regardless of your remaining point.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • A spirited ride from Sivakov but it looks like Pogacar fancies another rocket launch from the chase group.
  • mididoctors
    I can't see mas winning the sprint
  • mididoctors
    Girmay still in the mix ?
  • mididoctors
    Mas gave it a good go
  • Hat trick for Pogacar, full house for UAE.
    It’s all a bit inevitable.
  • Expect some traffic in this thread as Tom Pidcock just won the Queen stage in Algarve.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    He was on the front so often in the last 3 or 4Km I thought he was working for someone else in the team.