S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Yes, out of position so gapped on the very final run-in. Finished as fast as merlier and Ewan. Wasn’t too discouraging.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    andyp said:

Does anyone know why Ethan Vernon is riding the Tour of Rwanda with the Soudal-Quick Step development team? It's not doing him any harm, clearly, as he's won the opening two stages, but it seems surprising that he's there at all.

Just watching the first stage. The crowds are like something out of a grand tour. Amazing 😻
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    andyp said:

Does anyone know why Ethan Vernon is riding the Tour of Rwanda with the Soudal-Quick Step development team? It's not doing him any harm, clearly, as he's won the opening two stages, but it seems surprising that he's there at all.

Surprising in what way?

He's having a pretty decent start to the season with three 3rd places and a 2nd from 4 starts!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    andyp said:

Have you confused him with Ethan Hayter.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    edited February 2023

Is Cavendish finished again? I didn't see the sprint.

Bol got on the wrong wheel going through final corner carrying cav into a road block rather going slightly wider .. to be fair bol was pretty knackered from pulling in the cross winds earlier ... Time to work on it ...speed wise cav was crossing the line at the same speed as the winner so it's tight
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Pross said:

andyp said:

Surprising in what way?

He's having a pretty decent start to the season with three 3rd places and a 2nd from 4 starts!
    What? He's won three races, two stages in Rwanda and the last race of the Challenge Mallorca series. He also got a second there.

The surprise is that he's signed to the Soudal-QuickStep WT squad, but he's guesting for their development team in Rwanda.
  • andyp
    webboo said:

andyp said:

Have you confused him with Ethan Hayter.
    Er, no.
  • Pross
    andyp said:

Pross said:

andyp said:

Surprising in what way?

What? He's won three races, two stages in Rwanda and the last race of the Challenge Mallorca series. He also got a second there.

The surprise is that he's signed to the Soudal-QuickStep WT squad, but he's guesting for their development team in Rwanda.
    Sorry, don't know why I typed 3rd, meant 1st.

Right, that makes sense. As you say it seems to be working for them though.
  • andyp
    Looks like it was his choice:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/from-silver-at-the-track-euros-to-winning-in-rwanda-ethan-vernons-contract-year-is-off-to-a-flier

"The advantage of having a development team is that you can choose your programme," Vernon explained. "With my track ambitions, the UAE Tour and the Volta ao Algarve didn't work, so here was a nice race to come to. Eight-day stage race in the altitude and the heat is good early season preparation.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    2023 Tour Series binned. Hiatus, back in 2024? Or err, that's all folks?

https://www.tourseries.co.uk/tour-series-2023-update/
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    It's the 'who are they and what's team kit's that?' phase of the season
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The rotating sponsors don't help. Deceuninck, Soudal, I'm looking at you.

And that ineos shirt is identical to the Bahrain one.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Yep, and using almost identical kit designs from yester-year (every time I see the quickstep team, particularly from overhead shots, I think the saxobank team are back!)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    redvision said:

Yep, and using almost identical kit designs from yester-year (every time I see the quickstep team, particularly from overhead shots, I think the saxobank team are back!)

But made of the latest wonder material that will save MAMILs 2 watts. A bargain for just £100.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    phreak said:

redvision said:

But made of the latest wonder material that will save MAMILs 2 watts. A bargain for just £100.
    And the rest.
  • Trek rider dropped within the first minute. Ouch.
  • They really, really want to advertise this port, don't they?

I'm quite happy to stare at pictures of shipping infrastructure (and apparently just one ship) all morning, but I can't imagine most viewers are getting much out of it.
  • Merlier loses the GC lead but gives the stage win to Soudal QS.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    He just wants to ride in a thong. 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • I'll buy a drink for any soigneur that takes a permanent marker to those and adds some pupils
  • Jay Vine doesn't start today. A pity as it's time for a mountain.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,394
    m.r.m. said:

He just wants to ride in a thong. 😉

He's an Aussie, so his idea and your idea of a 'thong' are almost certainly quite different! :D
  • Does Pog's decision to not defend his Strade Bianche title reduce its status to a race worthy of discussion in this thread?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Does Pog's decision to not defend his Strade Bianche title reduce its status to a race worthy of discussion in this thread?

What, you mean the 6th monument? ;-)
  • True, if it can only attract Alaphillippe, WvA and Mvdp I don't think I'll bother.
  • Pross
    Thought he'd had a crash and ripped his shorts open at first.
  • True, if it can only attract Alaphillippe, WvA and Mvdp I don't think I'll bother.

Pass me the mayonnaise: just a leg loosener for T-A surely?

It's a bit of a shame for an event that's been on a constant upwards trajectory that it can't attract its reigning champion.
    I wonder whether there'll be a reshuffle of the calendar to give it a bit more breathing space between it and P-N. Maybe pair it with Jaen Paraiso Interior (& others) to create a gravel swing part of the season?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body