S*** Small Races 2023

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,154
Time to start this one.

Lucas Plapp is the Australian champion again, winning ahead of Clarke and Matthews
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Maybe merge it with the CX thread?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    phreak said:

Why.
    Have you watched to days race. Both were hardly sh!t and not small either. I would image there’s many a national football team that would be envious of those crowds.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    phreak said:

This is the season long thread for races that don’t have their own thread. Cross races do.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • This is an annual thread.
    It’s also rather more important than it’s name implies.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95. said:

phreak said:

This is the season long thread for races that don’t have their own thread. Cross races do.
    Cross has it’s own forum section but very little traffic.
    Hence it ends up in PR every season.

• RichN95. said:

If anyone is wondering about the thread title, it comes from a Mark Cavendish quote from 2010

Which simultaneously explains the title of this thread and why Cav's struggled to get a contract for this season.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I'm not sure Cavendish has struggled per se, he had a contract with B&B Hotels but it transpired that the sponsors Pineau has assured him, and other riders, were on board, weren't.

I think any rider would have challenges in this situation, because the team collapsed so late in the off season that most teams had already filled their rosters.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Anyhow back to SS races. Lucas Plapp’s attack at 1.6K to go in the Aussie champs was quite impressive. Mathews tried chase it down failed looked at the other 3 in the break and that was that.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    andyp said:

I'm not sure Cavendish has struggled per se, he had a contract with B&B Hotels but it transpired that the sponsors Pineau has assured him, and other riders, were on board, weren't.

I think any rider would have challenges in this situation, because the team collapsed so late in the off season that most teams had already filled their rosters.

The point was rather that it's him struggling to get signed to a team considering he is Mark Cavendish (even at his age) if he has to sign for B&B Hotels in the first place.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Not even the SS races come past my house.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    m.r.m. said:

andyp said:

The point was rather that it's him struggling to get signed to a team considering he is Mark Cavendish (even at his age) if he has to sign for B&B Hotels in the first place.
    The big boys had other priorities. He needed a team that would guarantee he got to the Tour, but could risk not picking up many WT points.
  • m.r.m.
    edited January 2023
    RichN95. said:

Time to start this one.

Lucas Plapp is the Australian champion again, winning ahead of Clarke and Matthews

Only caught up now to it. Phenomenal ride from Plapp. Fantastic lesson in race craft/tactics to win from a reduced group when not being able to rely on a sprint (due to Matthews still being there). Def. worth the watch!
  • The SS Season gets underway tomorrow, with the Santos Tour Down Under making it's post Covid return. Looks to be a better field this year. Maybe because of the removal of the fearsome Willunga Hill from this year's parcour. :*
    It all kicks off with a 6km prologue. Live and on demand from GCN/Eurosport.

Top competitors

BILBAO Pello
    HINDLEY Jai
    MATTHEWS Michael
    HAYTER Ethan
    THOMAS Geraint
    HOFSTETTER Hugo
    O'CONNOR Ben
    YATES Simon
    EWAN Caleb
    HIRSCHI Marc
  • m.r.m.
    I'm in! Season can't start soon enough. CX was spoiled a little by MvdP's seemingly chronic back injury which might result in him never reaching his full potential. If I remember correctly Bruyneel stated on "The Move" podcast that his brother David van der Poel is retiring from pro cycling due to a back issue, so it may very well be hereditory and chronic for Mathieu as well. 🙁
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2023
    me-109 said:

Not even the SS races come past my house.

Move to Scotland, see the UCI world championships! Or, if you need more rain, to the Basque Country, and get Itzulia, Clasica San Sebastian and, this year, Tour de France.
  • The prologue is underway with, for once, wet conditions. Plus as far as I can recall, a debut commentary pairing.
  • Why don't the commentators have the intermediate times? They're on PCS.
  • For example, Hayter is doing nothing.
  • Finally they've seen them :D
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    TdU Prologue with no clock, timings or leaderboard on GCN.
    How to kill the tiny bit of enthusiasm that I had.
  • Bettiol wins the prologue by combining being quick and going out before it rained.
  • Triumph of form and function in a win for Bauhaus in stage one.

Crash in the final, but didn't really affect the sprint, Bauhaus hanging on from Ewan who finished ike a rocket from a long way back. Moikle Methews third.
  • Robert Gesink out with a fractured pelvis.

James Knox DQ after drafting behind team car to return after having to have concussion checks. Insane.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

Robert Gesink out with a fractured pelvis.

James Knox DQ after drafting behind team car to return after having to have concussion checks. Insane.

A head knock obviously means that you are out of the race then. Any race.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

He wasn't the only one who went down, but was the one who needed to hang around for the medic.

Bax looked to have hit the deck just as hard.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    pblakeney said:

Not really, drafting other team cars has always been more acceptable for some reason.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

pblakeney said:

He wasn't the only one who went down, but was the one who needed to hang around for the medic.

Okay, maybe I should have written it better. "If you need a concussion check then...."
    That's how other sports are dealing with it. Should be applied across the board.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If you're going to allow people to rejoin after a concussion check you should at least turn a blind eye to how they regain the ground. Otherwise, they'll be disincentivised to take the check.
    If they're in a condition where a check's required, I'd prefer them to be pulled from the race.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Okay, maybe I should have written it better. "If you need a concussion check then...."
    That's how other sports are dealing with it. Should be applied across the board.
    Other sports haven't moved a few km up the road by the time the concussion checks have been completed