S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    edited February 2023
    Leads on the GC too.
    Can Almeida take him for 7 seconds over 24Km?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    webboo said:

He was on the front so often in the last 3 or 4Km I thought he was working for someone else in the team.

Probably thought he was still riding cross
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Leads on the GC too.
    Can Almeida take him for 7 seconds over 24Km?

Can Ganna take Almeida for 24 seconds over 24km?
    Might be the better question…

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    That was Pog's 50th pro win acording to his Strava!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited February 2023
    Just caught up with yesterday's race in Algarve. One of the best last few km I can remember. Just outstanding.

Even though I already knew who won, I was taken by surprise.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    Pidcock, the Olympic mountain bike champion and world cyclo-cross champion, is competing in his first race of the year for Ineos.
    Excellent journalism from the BBC
  • No_Ta_Doctor

webboo said:

He was on the front so often in the last 3 or 4Km I thought he was working for someone else in the team.

Even more so today....

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023

webboo said:

Even more so today....

Currently sitting here with a broken shoulder and a square foot of road rash after a low side crash when my bike slipped out from under me, so wincing a little more than usual today.

(Yes dear reader I did immediately check the bike, get back on and cycle it home like a good wannabe pro)
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Commentators purring over Pidcock’s bike handling but just looked fortunate to stay upright on this occasion.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • No_Ta_Doctor

webboo said:

Even more so today....

Currently sitting here with a broken shoulder and a square foot of road rash after a low side crash when my bike slipped out from under me, so wincing a little more than usual today.

(Yes dear reader I did immediately check the bike, get back on and cycle it home like a good wannabe pro)
    Ouch. Hope the bike is OK ;)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    seanoconn said:

Commentators purring over Pidcock’s bike handling but just looked fortunate to stay upright on this occasion.

His handling was so good he went off the side of the road.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    MTB skills.....(Just because most others are mentioning CX, forgetting he's better on the MTB, and berms are a feature there, not CX).
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Once was doing a sportive that went down Grimston bar in North Yorkshire it’s about 17%. I followed these two guys down and thought Oh they are very confident descenders or very very brave. One of them rammed it on at the last minute, the other saved it by doing a Tom. I was impressed as it was like watching someone on the wall of death.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

webboo said:

Even more so today....

Ouch. Hope the bike is OK ;)
    Glad the bike is ok. 😉

Get well soon! You've used up all the bad luck when riding. No more crashes for you for the next 10 years.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Echelons from the start in UAE.
  • flite said:

Pidcock, the Olympic mountain bike champion and world cyclo-cross champion, is competing in his first race of the year for Ineos.
    Excellent journalism from the BBC

They referred to Cav as Olympic silver medallist the other week in the story about the court case for his burglary.

BBC's coverage of cycling is absolutely laughable.
  • Group of about 50 clear of the peloton by 5 minutes or so with 50km to go.

Plenty sprinters plus Evenepoel and Adam Yates in there. Shrinks the GC field a bit with only the one climb in the whole week.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Does anyone know why Ethan Vernon is riding the Tour of Rwanda with the Soudal-Quick Step development team? It's not doing him any harm, clearly, as he's won the opening two stages, but it seems surprising that he's there at all.
  • Group of about 50 clear of the peloton by 5 minutes or so with 50km to go.

Plenty sprinters plus Evenepoel and Adam Yates in there. Shrinks the GC field a bit with only the one climb in the whole week.

Gap down to 2 minutes with 35km to go.

Evenepoel needs to get back on the front.
  • Splits in the front group now - that's what they needed.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited February 2023
    Proper echelon work now. Strong front group with Evenepoel, Merlier, Bol, Cavendish, Bauhaus, Kooij, Plapp, Ewan. All working, easing clear of the chase and peloton
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited February 2023
    Can't see how you can split this. Dead heat?

Edit: Merlier given it.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Surprised ...Ewan was faster at the line ...super ridiculous tight
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I thought merlier in real time, but that was crazy close.

Good rewards for Evenepoel dragging them all day.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539
    Is Cavendish finished again? I didn't see the sprint.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Is Cavendish finished again? I didn't see the sprint.

He got caught on the wrong side of the group so when they came around the final corner he was too far back and couldn't close the gap that Merlier and Ewan had from getting the final bend right.
  • Is Cavendish finished again? I didn't see the sprint.

He had Bol doing his lead out.

Looked OK once he'd realised that put him in the wrong place.