S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

True, if it can only attract Alaphillippe, WvA and Mvdp I don't think I'll bother.

Pass me the mayonnaise: just a leg loosener for T-A surely?

It's a bit of a shame for an event that's been on a constant upwards trajectory that it can't attract its reigning champion.
    I wonder whether there'll be a reshuffle of the calendar to give it a bit more breathing space between it and P-N. Maybe pair it with Jaen Paraiso Interior (& others) to create a gravel swing part of the season?
    Restructure the calendar because one rider has chosen not to include it in their schedule of races this year? Should any race Pog decides not to do also consider changing so he will ride their event?
  • Pross said:

Restructure the calendar because one rider has chosen not to include it in their schedule of races this year? Should any race Pog decides not to do also consider changing so he will ride their event?

Dunno, shouldn't every race be reviewing its route and place in the schedule to attract the best possible field?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • O Gran Camiño starts tomorrow. Only the second edition of this little stage race, but it is significant, as it's the opening race of current TDF champion, Jonas Vingegaard.
    Decent parcour too.

Live coverage from the usual suspects.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

m.r.m. said:

He just wants to ride in a thong. 😉

He's an Aussie, so his idea and your idea of a 'thong' are almost certainly quite different! :D
    I know (about the flip-flops). 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    edited February 2023

Pross said:

Dunno, shouldn't every race be reviewing its route and place in the schedule to attract the best possible field?
    But no race attracts all the top riders, not even the Tour. The fact that a race going into its 17th edition already feels like a classic suggests they've got things right. Whilst it does attract a few of the top stage race riders it is mainly a warm up for the Classics riders and offers opportunities to those who can win the cobbled or hilly Classics. I really don't see any need for it to change anything at this stage, it has been arguably the most succesful new race this century. If a significant amount of the top riders decide it isn't right for them any more then they would need to rethink things but talking about it because one rider, albeit the reigning winner, decided to focus on a stage race instead this year is a bit of a knee jerk.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Pross said:

Pross said:

But no race attracts all the top riders, not even the Tour. The fact that a race going into its 17th edition already feels like a classic. Whilst it does attract a few of the top stage race riders it is mainly a warm up for the Classics riders and offers opportunities to those who can win the cobbled or hilly Classics. I really don't see any need for it to change anything at this stage, it has arguably the most succesful new race this century. If a significant amount of the top riders decide it isn't right for them any more then they would need to rethink things but talking about it because one rider, albeit the reigning winner, decided to focus on a stage race instead this year is a bit of a knee jerk.
    You don't always need a stellar field to make a great race either. The 2010 Giro stage that really kicked off the love for the white roads didn't have a premier field at the time, but the likes of Cadel and Vino made it an awesome race nonetheless. Indeed, that whole Giro was one of the best GTs of modern times.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Astana have work to do drilling for a sprint finish ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited February 2023
    O Gran Camino stage 1 abandoned because of a bit of snow. Apparently peloton stopped riding, but nobody told the break until it was already into slightly better conditions.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited February 2023
    phreak said:

You don't always need a stellar field to make a great race either. The 2010 Giro stage that really kicked off the love for the white roads didn't have a premier field at the time, but the likes of Cadel and Vino made it an awesome race nonetheless. Indeed, that whole Giro was one of the best GTs of modern times.

Not just Cadel & Vino, but also Basso, Scarponi and Sastre in the top ten along with emerging talents Nibali and Porte.

But I agree with your main point. Strade made it's reputation without Pogacar and it will thrive long after he's gone.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

O Gran Camino stage 1 abandoned because of a bit of snow. Apparently peloton stopped riding, but nobody told the break until it was already into slightly better conditions.

Just saw this. One can only wonder what Merckx, Hinault and Hampsten amongst others would say. They'd have been warmer by keeping moving.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2023
    pblakeney said:

Just saw this. One can only wonder what Merckx, Hinault and Hampsten amongst others would say. They'd have been warmer by keeping moving.
    Yes, isn't progress terrible.
    I also want the return of untreated concussions in my rugby, hooligans in my football and deaths in my F1. And for god's sake won't someone get rid of the women.

Sorry, I'm in a sarky mood
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I also want the return of untreated concussions in my rugby, hooligans in my football and deaths in my F1. And for god's sake won't someone get rid of the women.

You're allowed to be in a sarky mood but, did the breakaway demand the race be halted?
    I doubt it very much.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

You're allowed to be in a sarky mood but, did the breakaway demand the race be halted?
    I doubt it very much.

I'll admit I didn't see the race, but this is a pre-season friendly. It's not the Giro or LBL.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52R-JCJAcxc

Breakaway was up the road in better conditions. Why stand still in the snow, which you will notice is not lying? I've commuted in worse.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I doubt it very much.
    Our TDF champ looked ready to quit the race 40kms earlier, so I suspect he may well have had a hand in it.
    Nobody wants their star attraction turning into a startlist black hole.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I doubt it very much.
    Our TDF champ looked ready to quit the race 40kms earlier, so I suspect he may well have had a hand in it.
    Nobody wants their star attraction turning into a startlist black hole.
    Showing a hand there then.
    Or just can't be ar$ed with s*** small races. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I doubt it very much.

I'll admit I didn't see the race, but this is a pre-season friendly. It's not the Giro or LBL.
    Since we are moving with the times, the days when the season started in Belgium at the start of March, are over.

It might not at the level of Flanders opening weekend, but this race has aspirations to grow. Having said that, today’s weather would have been considered quite extreme, even for up North.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    edited February 2023
    pblakeney said:

Just so we're clear, the same Hinault that urged riders to take strike action in 2018? That one? Or are we talking about the Hinault that was the riders' shop steward in the 1978 tour, when they forced the cancellation of a stage by going on strike by soft pedalling and then walking across the line in protest?
  • RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I doubt it very much.

If they wanted to drop out, fine.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Just so we're clear, the same Hinault that urged riders to take strike action in 2018? That one? Or are we talking about the Hinault that was the riders' shop steward in the 1978 tour, when they forced the cancellation of a stage by going on strike by soft pedalling and then walking across the line in protest?
    Different circumstances but keep on being sarky.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Different circumstances but keep on being sarky.
    Happy to. The same Hinault who threatened to organise a strike in the 1980 Tour because the weather was making the cobbles dangerous?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    The intensity of the snow was quite something, and would have made riding conditions dangerous. It was absolutely the right decision to stop racing.
  • As soon as you saw a snow plough it was inevitable the stage would be cancelled. Similar to 2019 on the Iseran
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hard to get worked up about a training race in February.

There's a reason they're training races in February.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,394
    edited February 2023

As soon as you saw a snow plough it was inevitable the stage would be cancelled. Similar to 2019 on the Iseran

Err 2019 - the descent off the Iseran to Val d'Isere was dry and sunny.
    The stage was abandoned because there was a landslide across the road on the Bourg side of the Tignes dam, which blocked the road. Not because there was snow (there wasn't snow, but there was hail 2 inches deep on the road before the dam).
    The storm was very localised (I was in the middle of it in Tignes 1800), but fundamentally it was the landslide that did for the stage.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52R-JCJAcxc

Breakaway was up the road in better conditions. Why stand still in the snow, which you will notice is not lying? I've commuted in worse.

I was watching this live on the tv and actually started to feel quite chilly just watching. I walked in to our garden room afterwards and was quite surprised to see it was sunny and not snowing.
    I’m glad I wasn’t riding.
  • Good to see key riders in the UAE tour using the race to hone their core skills: Thomas de Gendt currently on a solo breakaway.
    A lead of a second per remaining km looks doomed though.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Peloton breaking up in the last 20km. Nice.
  • Plapp dropped, peloton's been ripped to pieces.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    edited February 2023

Good to see key riders in the UAE tour using the race to hone their core skills: Thomas de Gendt currently on a solo breakaway.
    A lead of a second per remaining km looks doomed though.

I was wondering if he had retired, as much as I don't follow pro races much at all, I don't recall seeing him at last year's tdf or seeing his name mentioned here when I've popped into race threads! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo