S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

andyp said:

Any idea what the long term development plan for Hayter is. Is he targeting classics or GTs or is he doomed to forever hoover up the hilly and time trial stages of B list week long stage races?

Ethan or Leo?
    Well, the thread hasn't mentioned Leo at all, but top marks for pedantry if you must.....or I might just edit my post to make you look like a censored.
    No need to be a dick, it was a simple flippant comment.

I think Ethan Hayter's versatility is both a strong point and a weakness. He's capable of winning bunch sprints, time trials and hilly races. He could become a GC rider, as he showed when he won the Tour of Poland last year, but I don't think his climbing is good enough to win a GT. Given his clear distaste for fighting for position, I don't think he'll ever focus on the cobbled classics, but he's good enough on the hills to be a contender in races like Liege and Amstel.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    andyp said:

I think Ethan Hayter's versatility is both a strong point and a weakness. He's capable of winning bunch sprints, time trials and hilly races. He could become a GC rider, as he showed when he won the Tour of Poland last year, but I don't think his climbing is good enough to win a GT. Given his clear distaste for fighting for position, I don't think he'll ever focus on the cobbled classics, but he's good enough on the hills to be a contender in races like Liege and Amstel.

Agree, I can't see him contending in the cobbled classics and he's often found towards the back of the peloton which isn't really Ineos' M.O. There's clearly other GT projects within the team and he doesn't seem cut out for life as a mountain domestique.

I can see him being of courted by teams like Intermarche or AG2R towards the end of the next pro tour points scramble.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

Any idea what the long term development plan for Hayter is. Is he targeting classics or GTs or is he doomed to forever hoover up the hilly and time trial stages of B list week long stage races?

I was wondering the same earlier today. I can't see him ever really kicking on and challenging the big boys. But there's worse achievements than winning a few pro races a year including the odd world tour stage.

A Simon Gerrans type perhaps?
    He does seem to be that type of rider, bit of an Andy Impey type as well. With his TT prowess he has more potential for short stage races though. Would be good if he could develop his climbing to open up more stage race / hilly classic opportunities, but his apparent dislike of fighting for position might limit his chances. Could be a good stage hunter in GTs, but will he ever get a chance at Ineos if not the most useful domestique? Great rider though and consistently gets wins at a high level.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

I can see him being of courted by teams like Intermarche or AG2R towards the end of the next pro tour points scramble.

That's a decent shout - he could get some good points for a team that needs them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    He can just stay at Ineos and do that. I don’t see them having a genuine GC contender in GTs over the next few years (without bringing one in) although podiums / top 5 may be possible so they may be glad of a rider to take stages and the odd one week stage race.
  • andyp
    Ayuso doesn't look like his injury is bothering him as much as he says it is, does it?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I wonder what the future holds for Ayuso. He's got a contract through to the end of 2028, but he's not going tolerate spending much of that blocked by Pogacar. Maybe he'll surpass him, but more likely he'll leave. I image Ineos will be monitoring the situation
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    edited April 2023
    Would Ayuso not be happy being No.1 for the races that Pogacar isn't doing?
    At least for a while. Pogacar may be special but he is not going to contend every race.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pblakeney said:

Would Ayuso not be happy being No.1 or the races that Pogacar isn't doing?
    At least for a while. Pogacar may be special but he is not going to contend every race.

I’d give him one more season being happy to do so.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    If Ayuso is as good as he's being hyped here, then he'll take the Vuelta and Giro and then challenge Pog for the Tour
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    Almeida be available for someone else then.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Ayuso from nowhere
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I was expecting bardet to be closer
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp

Are you new to pro cycling?
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Are you new to pro cycling?
    Slow learner

• mididoctors
    Impressive by UAE there . Classic Yates . Bardet blew a gasket . Jorgensen is a engine .
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Impressive by UAE there . Classic Yates . Bardet blew a gasket . Jorgensen is a engine .

Great to see Bernal get a solid 8th there
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Jorgensen tremendously impressive for his age and size.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    DSM unearth another gem in Max Poole. He was in good company there.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Gavira from Arnt from Hayter in the final stage.
    Adam Yates takes the GC
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Seems appropriate for this thread, Stage 6 of the Tour de Bretagne was abandoned after this huge crash caused by taking the peloton down a road covered in s***

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    edited April 2023
    Is "chute" an actual real word (in french)?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    Mad_Malx said:

Is "chute" an actual real word (in french)?

Chute = fall.

chute

noun

[ feminine ] /ʃyt/
    Add to word list
    (VERS LE BAS)
    fait de tomber = fall
    faire une chute = to fall over
    la chute des cheveux = hair loss
    chute de neige = snowfall
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I'd only heard it in cycling context and assumed it was a niche colloquialism. It sounds like what it means.
  • andyp
    Mad_Malx said:

I'd only heard it in cycling context and assumed it was a niche colloquialism. It sounds like what it means.

Definitely a mainstream word in French, rather than a colloquialism. Albert Camus' final novel was published as La Chute.
  • kingstongraham
    Eschborn Frankfurt today with a decent lineup of sprinters (Philipsen, De Lie, Kristoff, Matthews, Bennett). Eurosport seems to have full coverage online if you like seeing a doomed break.
  • mididoctors
    A home watching the vuelta femme ?
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2023

Eschborn Frankfurt today with a decent lineup of sprinters (Philipsen, De Lie, Kristoff, Matthews, Bennett). Eurosport seems to have full coverage online if you like seeing a doomed break.

Another faultless prediction here.

The course having a hill 36km from home split it up and a lead group of 10 came in ahead of the field, win for Soren Kragh Andersen.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

The course having a hill 36km from home split it up and a lead group of 10 came in ahead of the field, win for Soren Kragh Andersen.
    To be fair the extra hill made a much better race than usual and it did nearly come down to the wire.
  • kingstongraham
    webboo said:

To be fair the extra hill made a much better race than usual and it did nearly come down to the wire.
    It was a surprisingly good race. That hill seemed to surprise all the sprinters.