S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Groenewegen best sprinter in Slovenia, just about wins another sprint stage.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

andyp said:

Summit finish on the Stelvio, climbing from Bormio, in the Baby Giro today.

:#
    Brilliant! That's giving a while new meaning to the term auto-bus.
    Froomey did that up the Mortirolo back when he was young.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • kingstongraham
    Ewan and Philipsen crash 4km out in Tour of Belgium - Ewan came off worst.

Jakobsen wins from MvdP.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Trinity Racing's Lukas Nerurkar wins stage 5 of the baby Giro.
  • kingstongraham

Ewan and Philipsen crash 4km out in Tour of Belgium - Ewan came off worst.

Jakobsen wins from MvdP.

• kingstongraham
    edited June 2023
    In Slovenia, three quarters of the riders manage to take a wrong turning at a roundabout with 700m to go.

Ide Schelling was told today's actual news at the finish, and was then expected to do an interview. "All the joy is gone, immediately."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

In Slovenia, three quarters of the riders manage to take a wrong turning at a roundabout with 700m to go.

Ide Schelling was told today's actual news at the finish, and was then expected to do an interview. "All the joy is gone, immediately."

His interview is gut-wrenching

https://www.feltet.dk/video/eurosport/8750
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973

I’ve not watched. Am I correct in assuming that he won?
    If so , it just shows that for some winning is is not the end all and be all. Chapeau.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    Was surprised to see an article about this year’s ToB. I didn’t think it was going ahead but apparently it is with the race finishing with a ‘mountain’ top finish (very generous to class Caerphilly Mountain as a mountain but it’s a tough uphill finish).
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

If so , it just shows that for some winning is is not the end all and be all. Chapeau.
    Yes he won and looked slightly bemused about winning when the others went the wrong way. When asked how he felt about the win, he said a friend had passed and all the joy is gone.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

Yes he won and looked slightly bemused about winning when the others went the wrong way. When asked how he felt about the win, he said a friend had passed and all the joy is gone.
    Ah, that gives more context.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    MvdP wins from 36 km out in Beguim Tour.
    Warming up nicely for the Tour
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

MvdP wins from 36 km out in Beguim Tour.
    Warming up nicely for the Tour

Just watching, into the last 10km (not spoilered 😉 as he's way ahead) and MvdP is indeed looking good. The way he takes some of those corners at bleeping high speed and so relaxed looking. Impressive.
  • Pross
    Just to show equality between men’s and women’s races there are a load of very badly parked cars on a descent in Occitanie
  • Pross
    Great finish at Occitanie. 2 man break of Simon Carr and Lars van den Berg just about held off the chasing mini peloton of favourites. Van den Berg panicked and led out early allowing Carr to just about come around for the win. Ganna right up there in the chasing group and is climbing well.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Good when the break wins that close ... 2 secs
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This seems promising

Can't think off the top of my head of a bigger road result for an NI cyclist

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    edited June 2023
    Pross said:

Was surprised to see an article about this year’s ToB. I didn’t think it was going ahead but apparently it is with the race finishing with a ‘mountain’ top finish (very generous to class Caerphilly Mountain as a mountain but it’s a tough uphill finish).

Noticed stage 2 will end in Wrexham, but no other details yet, got me plotting a quick route on Garmin Connect...

Start in St. Asaph
    Road to Hell
    Bala Lake north shore and then up Hirnant Pass and along east side of Lake Vernwy
    Up and over Horseshoe Pass to finish in Wrexham
    ~91 miles, 8700 feet climbing

But it's going to start in England, isn't it? Something like in Birkenhead.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    "Was surprised to see an article about this year’s ToB"
    (sorry, haven't worked out how to do quotes)
    The Women's Tour, by the same promoters, was cancelled
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    edited June 2023
    French pensioner Jeannie Longo has just won the Chrono du Vercors beating 33 year former French TT champion old Aline Marguet

Aline Marguet
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • kingstongraham

Got to love it.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Got to love it.

No points for guessing who won todays stage.....
  • andyp
    By my reckoning, he's won 21 times this season. All in shit small races obviously, but he's clearly enjoying his break from the World Tour.
  • andyp
    Make that 22 wins.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    He's too good to be wasting away in obscurity. Hope he can make it back to the WT.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    Nobody is going to guess who won the final ITT stage at Columbia........

Would be nice to see him back with a WT team
  • Pross
    Meh he got himself kicked out of Astana who aren’t known as a bastion of virtue.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    Sevilla fairly nailed the vets category with a solid top 10 on the GC too
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • JimD666
    Stage 1 of the Giro d'Italia Donne cancelled due to weather. It's been a bit soggy......
  • Pross
    JimD666 said:

Stage 1 of the Giro d'Italia Donne cancelled due to weather. It's been a bit soggy......

Good to see it is getting equal treatment with the men's race!