The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    rjsterry said:

You don't seem the type to worry about what's done.

I'm not a rule breaker, but I do avoid places with lots of rules. For example, I would have complied with formal nights in the absence of choice, but why choose an environment I didn't like? When they are looking to increase intake from state schools, they don't really factor in things like this. Having experienced the liberty of a sixth form college, it was all a bit strange.

It was also 6 days a week for 8 weeks rather than 5 days a week for 10 weeks like all the other universities, so for someone looking to leave home and live in a big city it was wasn't very good.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711

rjsterry said:

Surely you could just rent a room in a privately let house if you felt that strongly or is that not done?

Not done. Not sure if it was against the numerous rules though. Didn't have much time for the rules that only X class of people could walk on the lawn etc.

Cambridge was a bit twee for me too.

We didn't even have the option of college accommodation for 2 of the 4 years.

Some colleges are more equal than others.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,104
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

You don't seem the type to worry about what's done.

I'm not a rule breaker, but I do avoid places with lots of rules. For example, I would have complied with formal nights in the absence of choice, but why choose an environment I didn't like? When they are looking to increase intake from state schools, they don't really factor in things like this. Having experienced the liberty of a sixth form college, it was all a bit strange.

It was also 6 days a week for 8 weeks rather than 5 days a week for 10 weeks like all the other universities, so for someone looking to leave home and live in a big city it was wasn't very good.
    Thankfully wasn't an issue as only Cambridge offered architecture and their school was on a bit of a downward spiral at the time, but can agree with a lot of that nonetheless. Does sound a bit too much like Hogwarts. The one tutor we had who had studied at Cambridge rather confirmed that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I can't imagine why we allow people to go Eton, Oxford, then Inns of Court or Parliament and think theyre going to be great at ruling or judging us. They've only ever been in Hogwarts.
  • Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I wonder how many ebikes have that sort of boot capacity. Or how you could get on a bus carrying close to 2 cubic metres of your stuff.

I mean there are literally e-bike couriers in town that must be carrying close to 2m3.

https://www.zedify.co.uk/find-us/london/
    That's for couriers, we're talking about the ebikes that everyone in Ricktopia would use to get to and from transport hubs.
    Good to have you back Stevo. I don't know if you noticed but someone hacked your account while you were away and posted some intelligent comments on your behalf. I'm glad we've got the old Stevo back again, please let us know when your'e planning to go away again.
  • First.Aspect
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64788106

I find this a useful summary, which puts the debate about allegedly sustainable fuels into perspective.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

I find this a useful summary, which puts the debate about allegedly sustainable fuels into perspective.

This misses the point a bit.

Another option is fuel made from hydrogen produced with green electricity. However the UK currently does not generate enough renewable electricity to make enough green hydrogen.

• First.Aspect

This misses the point a bit.

Another option is fuel made from hydrogen produced with green electricity. However the UK currently does not generate enough renewable electricity to make enough green hydrogen.

Well it doesn't, it confirms the demand issue I made regarding that porsche technology.

Saw another article the other week about an Australian technology where adsorbant can be used to more effectively desalination sea water to avoid accidentally creating mustard gas when producing hydrogen. That's quite exciting. Makes me wish I was still a chemist, because I always knew chemists would save the world.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,637

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I wonder how many ebikes have that sort of boot capacity. Or how you could get on a bus carrying close to 2 cubic metres of your stuff.

I mean there are literally e-bike couriers in town that must be carrying close to 2m3.

That's for couriers, we're talking about the ebikes that everyone in Ricktopia would use to get to and from transport hubs.
    Good to have you back Stevo. I don't know if you noticed but someone hacked your account while you were away and posted some intelligent comments on your behalf. I'm glad we've got the old Stevo back again, please let us know when your'e planning to go away again.
    I've been on here since 2009 and posting regularly so the answer is a long time after bit part players on this forum like you have disappeared :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I've been on here since 2009 and posting regularly so the answer is a long time after bit part players on this forum like you have disappeared :)
    Don't worry, I didn't notice any of the described unusual behaviour :D
  • Stevo_666
    That's because you don't read my posts properly ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    they tested electric Vs Diesel in Italy, Naples to Milan. Electric was slower, obviously, by 2 hours, but crucially a lot more expensive… 110 Euro, vs 75 for diesel…
    Upwards and onwards… 🙄
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    "Ricktopia" taking a backwards step in Wales despite the Welsh Government's recent decision to stop building roads and focus on public transport, walking and cycling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-64798117

As I've said before, if we want a society that is less reliant on car use we need to accept public transport being loss making / Government funded.
  • Stevo_666
    Possibly also about to suffer a setback in Germany, of all places.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/03/02/german-carmakers-plot-wreck-eus-shift-net-zero/
  • ugo.santalucia
    I get the all push for net zero, but for years they have ignored “less net”… so for example, why not banning the most polluting vehicles altogether? Why not have a minimum mpg standard petrol cars need to adhere to?
    If all cars used half the petrol they use now, which is entirely possible for many vehicles, we would only have half of the problem, which is some way better… Incidentally, we would also get rid of people speeding on motorways… what’s not to like?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,980

...we would also get rid of people speeding on motorways… what’s not to like?

Small point but all cars are capable of speeding.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    pblakeney said:

well, if mpg was very strict (say 60 mpg) then engine size would be significantly reduced.
    Yes my car is probably capable of 90 mph, but it is so not fun that nobody in their right state of mind would drive it at that speed.
    Besides, if you are serious on emissions, then engines would be limited.
    BUT, governments are still committed to support an industry that portraits driving as “fun”, so there is no hope.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,768
    They should speed limit cars - why should any car be able to go over 70mph?
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited March 2023

because if you drive in France you can do 80… in Germany there are no limits on some roads, but that seems more their problem that anyone else’s
    Limiting to 80 seems a good compromise

• kingstongraham

because if you drive in France you can do 80… in Germany there are no limits on some roads, but that seems more their problem that anyone else’s

So we couldn't restrict our cars because of the EU? I can see a Brexit bonus here...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

They’re making right hand drive cars for the UK market. Altering the software to suit a specific market shouldn’t be too hard.

Also, there are plenty of cars with engines that do over 60mpg that can easily do 120mph plus. The Golf GTD has combined figures over over 67mpg and a top speed over 140mph.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Pross said:

They’re making right hand drive cars for the UK market. Altering the software to suit a specific market shouldn’t be too hard.

Also, there are plenty of cars with engines that do over 60mpg that can easily do 120mph plus. The Golf GTD has combined figures over over 67mpg and a top speed over 140mph.
    but it is diesel innit… diesel should have been banned ages ago. Or at least restricted to non built up areas.

• kingstongraham
    Pross said:

I bet it doesn't get that fuel consumption at that speed.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396

Pross said:

but it is diesel innit… diesel should have been banned ages ago. Or at least restricted to non built up areas.

Aren't diesels better for the planet but worse for human health than petrol?
    Hence the push for their use some years back, and now the introduction of ULEZs to keep them out of densly populated urban areas.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,980

pblakeney said:

well, if mpg was very strict (say 60 mpg) then engine size would be significantly reduced.
    Yes my car is probably capable of 90 mph, but it is so not fun that nobody in their right state of mind would drive it at that speed.
    Besides, if you are serious on emissions, then engines would be limited.
    BUT, governments are still committed to support an industry that portraits driving as “fun”, so there is no hope.

Peugeot 208, 1.5L diesel. 74 mpg, 117 mph.
    Driving is fun for some. Not in a diesel 208 I'll grant you. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia

Pross said:

Hence the push for their use some years back, and now the introduction of ULEZs to keep them out of densly populated urban areas.
    Diesel is more efficient as an angine, hence less CO2 per mile… but as a fuel is one step up from coal, so lots of sulfur and nitrogen oxides, which are extremely toxic. The exhausts were designed to remove them, but they only work at high temperature, which is typically not achieved at low speed… so they are detrimental for urban traffic

• ugo.santalucia
    … and soot
  • kingstongraham

Maybe we just need loads more average speed cameras.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

Diesel is more efficient as an angine, hence less CO2 per mile… but as a fuel is one step up from coal, so lots of sulfur and nitrogen oxides, which are extremely toxic. The exhausts were designed to remove them, but they only work at high temperature, which is typically not achieved at low speed… so they are detrimental for urban traffic

I think this is out of date, as is govt policy on deisels. Urea additives, EGR and catalyst regeneration pretty much put modern deisels on a par with petrol engines these days.