The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674

Stevo_666 said:

I wonder how many ebikes have that sort of boot capacity. Or how you could get on a bus carrying close to 2 cubic metres of your stuff.

How often do you need 2 cubic metres? We've discussed the Christmas tree purchase and toilet paper - are there other needs?

More often than I thought. 6x to take/collect son from Uni (all stuff needs moving); daughter will be starting in Sept '24 so I expect that to double; 3x big camping trips with additional 590 litre roofbox! ; 3-4 cycling trips with 2 bikes in the back; trips to the dump; occasional work use carrying a lot of kit. The list goes on.

I bought mine 2nd hand in 2008. It's 54 plate so now 19 year old. I have no plans to replace it until catastrophic mechanical failure happens. Even annual repair bills are less than buying another. It's pretty good on fuel 57mpg on a good run. I only use it when I need to and commute by bike most days.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• An estate car ain't just for Christmas, it's for life!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,637
    edited February 2023

Stevo_666 said:

I wonder how many ebikes have that sort of boot capacity. Or how you could get on a bus carrying close to 2 cubic metres of your stuff.

How often do you need 2 cubic metres? We've discussed the Christmas tree purchase and toilet paper - are there other needs?
    Often enough.

The uni example above is a good one. Taking my bike places is another. Taking stuff to the tip. Etc etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I mean there are literally e-bike couriers in town that must be carrying close to 2m3.

https://www.zedify.co.uk/find-us/london/
    That's for couriers, we're talking about the ebikes that everyone in Ricktopia would use to get to and from transport hubs.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,558
    I think that if I bought two cubic metres of toilet rolls that my executor would be dealing with the left over supplies.
  • Stevo_666

I do walk/cycle to the local shops and use PT when suitable, but I don't see us ever getting to the point of private vehicle ownership not being a desirable thing outside of cities.

Well put. This is the right answer for non Ricktopians.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140
    edited February 2023

Stevo_666 said:

More often than I thought. 6x to take/collect son from Uni (all stuff needs moving); daughter will be starting in Sept '24 so I expect that to double
    Why do your kids need so much stuff moving? I went to uni full-time for 5 years and all I, and pretty much everyone else in my term, ever needed "moving" was a laptop, an extendable tube for carrying my CAD drawings and a large sports bag filled with clothing. All I ever needed for traveling was a coach journey from the town we lived to the uni town which was 80 miles away. If I had once turned up at the dorm, or later the flat we rented with a couple mates, with my parents to check how I lived, the guys would have been picking on me for that forever. I would have lost all respect.

I mean, when I see that every my friend and colleague with a family needs a C-Max or a large SUV just because they now have 2 small kids I can't stop wondering how the censored my parents managed to raise and put through schooling me and my siblings without ever owning a car. Ever.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Why do you need a tube to carry CAD drawings?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited February 2023
    Large drawings stops them getting creased.
  • briantrumpet
    katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

More often than I thought. 6x to take/collect son from Uni (all stuff needs moving); daughter will be starting in Sept '24 so I expect that to double
    Why do your kids need so much stuff moving? I went to uni full-time for 5 years and all I, and pretty much everyone else in my term, ever needed "moving" was a laptop, an extendable tube for carrying my CAD drawings and a large sports bag filled with clothing. All I ever needed for traveling was a coach journey from the town we lived to the uni town which was 80 miles away. If I had once turned up at the dorm, or later the flat we rented with a couple mates, with my parents to check how I lived, the guys would have been picking on me for that forever. I would have lost all respect.

I mean, when I see that every my friend and colleague with a family needs a C-Max or a large SUV just because they now have 2 small kids I can't stop wondering how the censored my parents managed to raise and put through schooling me and my siblings without ever owning a car. Ever.

I had a hi-fi and a 7ft-harpsichord by the time I finished uni. Would have been kinda hard on the train.
  • Pross

Large drawings stops then getting creased.

But a CAD drawing is a digital file. I’ve used tubes to store prints in the past though. #pedant
  • katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

I had a hi-fi and a 7ft-harpsichord by the time I finished uni. Would have been kinda hard on the train.
    Why did you give up the potential of all those strings for three buttons?
  • Pross

katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pretty sure most people also have clothes, bedding, cooking equipment and as rentals on student accommodation often seems to have a gap of a couple of weeks you can’t just leave it all there even if you are staying in the same place.

Not quite sure what my elder daughter did though as we only had a full car for the initial trip up and then back when she moved home over 3 years later.
  • briantrumpet

katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

I might answer your question once you've put up a video of you trying to play a three-buttoned trumpet.

In the meantime, you might like to consider which is harder to ride: a unicycle, or a bicycle.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pretty sure most people also have clothes, bedding, cooking equipment and as rentals on student accommodation often seems to have a gap of a couple of weeks you can’t just leave it all there even if you are staying in the same place.

Not quite sure what my elder daughter did though as we only had a full car for the initial trip up and then back when she moved home over 3 years later.
    Me and my dad hired a van I believe. The poshos hire professionals movers
  • katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

I might answer your question once you've put up a video of you trying to play a three-buttoned trumpet.

In the meantime, you might like to consider which is harder to ride: a unicycle, or a bicycle.
    I'm sure a 7ft harpsichord would be much more difficult to play on a unicycle, wouldn't it?
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

Me and my dad hired a van I believe. The poshos hire professionals movers

Yeah, I'd have done that if I didn't have my gran's 1.1L Chrysler Sunbeam (58bhp) to do the moving. Having stayed in the same house for three years, I did seem to have accrued quite a lot of stuff. I wish I were better of getting rid of it.
  • briantrumpet
    Ah, here's the next answer answer to reducing emissions: a tyre tax!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/02/26/drivers-could-hit-new-tyre-tax-new-crackdown-emissions/

Although tyre technology has developed to reduce dangerous emissions, the Environment Department said last week that non-exhaust road emissions have “remained largely unchanged between 1996 and 2021”

Mr Turbefield added: “If taxing non-exhaust emission is to be considered, then there needs to be more research into emissions from road surface wear. It’s plausible that electric vehicles, which are much heavier than petrol vehicles, cause more damage to road surfaces and are therefore a bigger source of road surface emissions. Any review needs to take account of the big picture.”

In May Professor Alastair Lewis, chairman of the Department for Transport Science Advisory Council, said: “When everybody owns a low emissions vehicle, low emission zones become a toothless control lever to try to manage air pollution.

“A world where we [have] jam-packed roads full of electric cars [also] isn’t a particularly attractive one… Even if they are electric, [they] will generate lots of particles.”

“At some point in the future when most of those cars have disappeared, a different form of air pollution control” is likely to be needed, he added.

“We do have to project forward about how we’re going to manage vehicles in large cities like London in the future when we have a largely electrified fleet of vehicles.”
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,980

Ah, here's the next answer answer to reducing emissions tax income: a tyre tax!

FTFY. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Ah, here's the next answer answer to reducing emissions tax income: a tyre tax!

FTFY. 😉
    Win win.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

Um, cos he's at Oxford. You have to ship your kit out of Halls at the end of each term as they let them out to tourists and conferences. It's a bit of a PITA but on the upside you pay less as you are not using it for 6 months of the year, and yeah, it's Oxford,

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

Um, cos he's at Oxford. You have to ship your kit out of Halls at the end of each term as they let them out to tourists and conferences. It's a bit of a PITA but on the upside you pay less as you are not using it for 6 months of the year, and yeah, it's Oxford,
    It's what put me off Oxbridge.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711

katani said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's what put me off Oxbridge.
    Riight.

On the flip side the rooms are normally tiny so there's not much to move.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,104
    Surely you could just rent a room in a privately let house if you felt that strongly or is that not done?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    rjsterry said:

Surely you could just rent a room in a privately let house if you felt that strongly or is that not done?

Not done. Not sure if it was against the numerous rules though. Didn't have much time for the rules that only X class of people could walk on the lawn etc.

Cambridge was a bit twee for me too.

• briantrumpet
    I didn't even bother to consider the downsides (so can't use it as an excuse), as I'm too lazy and (probably) not bright enough.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2023
    You don't seem the type to worry about what's done. Agree on the tweeness.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

You don't seem the type to worry about what's done.

Who, me?

No point, I'll be dead sooner or later (preferably the latter) and so won't give two hoots.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Who, me?

No point, I'll be dead sooner or later (preferably the latter) and so won't give two hoots.
    No, TBB.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Who, me?

No, TBB.

Oh well, now you know not only that I'm not worried, but that quoting posts can save confusion.