The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,637
    edited March 2023
    masjer said:

^Those batteries won't get you very far and are single use disposable. Lithium-ion batteries were invented in 2004, so a modern invention compared to the internal combustion engine (1860s).

Well obviously. But I'm sure you know I m talking about battery technology generally. The current ones in EV are just modern variants of that 200+ year old invention.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2023
    More good stuff on efuels, which seem to make a lot of sense and is similar to an EV in terms of carbon emissions, which was the main driver of the rush to EVs. What's not to like?
    https://evo.co.uk/fuels/203323/efuels-sustainability-and-sports-cars-is-it-the-key-to-saving-the-combustion-engine
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited March 2023
    So Cambridge is still looking to introduce a car use zone which I think is £5er a day you use your car in the city limits.

Having a nosey on the campaign against the change.

They are utterly convinced that they are in the majority despite that there has been a load of consultations and surveys and sure enough there is a majority in favour.

Labour has said they’ll not introduce it till they beef up the bus services, which seems sensible. Obvious exceptions for people with disabled badges etc.

Just interesting the no campaign is so set on them being right and they’re just slating all the data.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm not sure that EV enthusiasts exist as there's not much to get enthused about, but I guess the equivalent would be

:)

EVs have in principle better performance than thermic engines. The acceleration is superior and the torque is immense.
    I guess with some decent software you can waste some battery to replicate your favourite engine tune and vibrations...
    They make no proper noise and have no soul. And they are very heavy so their handling, braking and dynamics are inferior.
    Hence the joke. These are almost exactly the arguments that steam enthusiasts use about diesel and electric locomotives.

FWIW, I will concede that a really big diesel sounds quite impressive 😀.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

So Cambridge is still looking to introduce a car use zone which I think is £5er a day you use your car in the city limits.

They are utterly convinced that they are in the majority despite that there has been a load of consultations and surveys and sure enough there is a majority in favour.

Labour has said they’ll not introduce it till they beef up the bus services, which seems sensible. Obvious exceptions for people with disabled badges etc.

Just interesting the no campaign is so set on them being right and they’re just slating all the data.

I should add, some of the complaints are that uni students were asked
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

I should add, some of the complaints are that uni students were asked
    well, they are residents and although they only stay three years, they are then replaced by likeminded equivalent, so there is a population of students, living there more than 50% of the year, which is entitled to a voice
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,767
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm not sure that EV enthusiasts exist as there's not much to get enthused about, but I guess the equivalent would be

EVs have in principle better performance than thermic engines. The acceleration is superior and the torque is immense.
    I guess with some decent software you can waste some battery to replicate your favourite engine tune and vibrations...
    They make no proper noise and have no soul. And they are very heavy so their handling, braking and dynamics are inferior.
    Hence the joke. These are almost exactly the arguments that steam enthusiasts use about diesel and electric locomotives.

So does a really big fart, but equally not in a good way.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

Sounds like a pretty standard protest to be honest. They always claim stuff like they are “speaking for the silent minority”.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    If I have to pay a charge to go into a city then I simply won't go at all. (Especially if I have to create yet another account online) The faff and confusion is the biggest problem.
    I'm flying from Bristol airport in July but some road routes go through the CAZ and some don't. For people with non compliant cars it's utter bs.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Stevo_666 said:

EVs are based on technology that was invented in the 19th century :)

Wait until you check the history of crankshafts...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    mully79 said:

If I have to pay a charge to go into a city then I simply won't go at all. (Especially if I have to create yet another account online) The faff and confusion is the biggest problem.
    I'm flying from Bristol airport in July but some road routes go through the CAZ and some don't. For people with non compliant cars it's utter bs.

normally chrges are brought in cities that have some very good reason to go to… Cambridge might be one of them… maybe Coventry would find it harder

left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

So does a really big fart, but equally not in a good way.
    I stumbled down a YouTube rabbit hole of videos of diesel locomotives accelerating. 😳
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mully79

mully79 said:

normally chrges are brought in cities that have some very good reason to go to… Cambridge might be one of them… maybe Coventry would find it harder

Ok, fair point. I will add Cambridge to other similar charging cities that might be worth going to but i'll never find out like Bradford and Sheffield 😂
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,767
    You don't have to pay a charge to go in the city, only to drive in the city.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

Yeah. Where are people expecting to park for free anyway? Apart from in front of my house, anyway.

For those of us who already live here it’s still £5er every time we go anywhere in the car.

I’m largely ok with it. If you’re gonna raise tax it seems a sensible way to do it. It’ll be what, £200-400 more a year and it incentives better decision making.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

More good stuff on efuels, which seem to make a lot of sense and is similar to an EV in terms of carbon emissions, which was the main driver of the rush to EVs. What's not to like?
    https://evo.co.uk/fuels/203323/efuels-sustainability-and-sports-cars-is-it-the-key-to-saving-the-combustion-engine

FT’s view:
  • mully79

I don't live anywhere near any of these cities so how else am I supposed to visit ? Or is that the point ?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,554
    mully79 said:

I don't live anywhere near any of these cities so how else am I supposed to visit ? Or is that the point ?

Park & Ride?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    mully79 said:

Some routes go through the ULEZ and some don't... I mean yeah isn't that the point of a ULEZ? To discourage you from certain routes?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mully79
    pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Some routes go through the ULEZ and some don't... I mean yeah isn't that the point of a ULEZ? To discourage you from certain routes?
    It's only a discouragement if I know which route goes through the CAZ, otherwise it's a stealth tax.
  • briantrumpet
    mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

It's only a discouragement if I know which route goes through the CAZ, otherwise it's a stealth tax.

Does Google Maps tell you where Ulez zones are?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

The big signs on the approaches aren’t very stealthy to be honest.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's no more antiquated than using batteries, which were originally invented in 1800.

My car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. And that's what counts, beyond the mundane point getting getting me from a to b. I honestly think you would never understand.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,979
    Pross said:

mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

So you have to choose whether to cough up or do a u-turn?
    Just asking as I'm likely to get caught out at some point since I'm not a local.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,979
    edited March 2023

mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Just had a look and Google maps routing gives no warning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    mully79 said:

mully79 said:

Ok, fair point. I will add Cambridge to other similar charging cities that might be worth going to but i'll never find out like Bradford and Sheffield 😂
    Let's face, councils are out to get as much money as they can and this must look like an easy win.

I'm not so sure everyone would have quite the same view on schemes like this if they had a business in such a city that relied on people coming to them.
  • mully79
    edited March 2023
    Pross said:

mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

I don't need the sign to tell me it's too late. I want the sign that tells me how to get to the airport without going through the CAZ. After all that's the point, to reduce air pollution.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/drivers-bristol-airport-feel-mugged-7947410
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Avoiding random fines is another upside of not driving.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Just had a look and Google maps routing gives no warning.

Hmm, not helpful on Google's part, given they warn about motorway tolls.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited March 2023
    I wonder if the novelty of EV's will wear off a bit now considering the increasing in electric prices?