The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.

That’s too expensive!
    Surely you'd get a fair chunk for you're car then there are the costs of keeping it on the road. You've already said you don't use it much.
    Not sure you quite appreciate how expensive taxis & rentals are nowadays.

I know a millionaire who does that. Alas, that’s not me.

You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.

That’s too expensive!
    Surely you'd get a fair chunk for you're car then there are the costs of keeping it on the road. You've already said you don't use it much.

Being virtuous and leading by example doesnt' always come cheap. .
    That's literally my point.
    You can pay up front or pay taxes to subsidise the future infrastructure.
    Be under no illusion, you will pay.
    Paying for lease cars and taxis is not investment in future proofing the system
    When you *can't* use a car, you realise that it isn't actually as difficult as some would have you believe.
    Depends where you are. That's again, my point.

I've done rural Worcestershire and rural Devon so far.
    Unless my MIL moves, she is housebound following a stroke which means she's not allowed to drive.

All the bus routes, etc, have all been shut down. That's basic. She's in the burbs of a big town. No-one there cycles - it's lethal if you do - and everyone drives.
    Is this true? People used to tell me that about London after I'd cycled there for years.
    I've done both and I'd chose London over the roads there.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,105

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

When you *can't* use a car, you realise that it isn't actually as difficult as some would have you believe.

Unless my MIL moves, she is housebound following a stroke which means she's not allowed to drive.

All the bus routes, etc, have all been shut down. That's basic. She's in the burbs of a big town. No-one there cycles - it's lethal if you do - and everyone drives.
    I'm not suggesting improvement to PT wouldn't be hugely valuable. Just disputing the 'it can't be done/there's no point trying' from some quarters.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,641

Civilisations have failed, but then new ones arise. Then when the jumps made into space...

I don't get either the point of an advanced intelligence eradicating each other when the Universe is so vast and expanding. Why fight when you can find other planets.

There must be Solar systems which are lucky enough to have habital planets close by aiding the evolutionary jump.

That's an optimistic view, but I think the likes of Stevo will ensure the destruction of this planet before we find another planet we can live on. And that is how the Great Filter works.
    It sounds like the bigger threat to mankind is disappearing up our own backsides trying to be virtuous.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Is this true? People used to tell me that about London after I'd cycled there for years.
    I've done both and I'd chose London over the roads there.
    think of all the others who don't cycle because nobody else does, this is your chance to make a difference
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Surely that's what us country bumpkins have been arguing throughout a lot of this thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

I'm not suggesting improvement to PT wouldn't be hugely valuable. Just disputing the 'it can't be done/there's no point trying' from some quarters.
    If the car is by far and away the rational option, be it convenience, price etc, then you’re not gonna stop people using it.

It’s not about being able to get around. It’s a system that makes efficient mass travel the most practical personals choice too!
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Civilisations have failed, but then new ones arise. Then when the jumps made into space...

I don't get either the point of an advanced intelligence eradicating each other when the Universe is so vast and expanding. Why fight when you can find other planets.

There must be Solar systems which are lucky enough to have habital planets close by aiding the evolutionary jump.

That's an optimistic view, but I think the likes of Stevo will ensure the destruction of this planet before we find another planet we can live on. And that is how the Great Filter works.
    It sounds like the bigger threat to mankind is disappearing up our own backsides trying to be virtuous.
    Just enlightened self interest. Virtue has nothing to do with it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just enlightened self interest. Virtue has nothing to do with it.
    Funny, that's what I would call my position on this too :smile:
  • Stevo_666

This is what I mean - I don't think Stevo driving his car in a way that makes it go more brrm brrm is going to be the thing that makes the difference between killing the planet or not.

Oh, I dunno, 'Stevo, the destroyer of planets' has a bit of a ring to it.
  • rjsterry
    Planet singular. Don't get above yourself 😁
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,097
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Surely that's what us country bumpkins have been arguing throughout a lot of this thread.
    You what?!

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

You what?!

In Ricktopia, if you're not a bus taking, ebike riding urban dweller then you're a country bumpkin. Apparently the suburbs don't exist.
  • Funny how when Stevo started this thread he said he set it up for Rick. Funny how Stevo's posted way more than Rick, pretty much 50% of the posts. It's been a remarkably succesful thread despite Stevo's attempts to derail it, it hasn't even been particularly dull so long as you ignore his posts .
  • Funny how when Stevo started this thread he said he set it up for Rick. Funny how Stevo's posted way more than Rick, pretty much 50% of the posts. It's been a remarkably succesful thread despite Stevo's attempts to derail it, it hasn't even been particularly dull so long as you ignore his posts .

Look, I'm sorry. Until Rick sells his car, Stevo is perfectly entitled to carry on destroying planets.
  • Stevo_666

Funny how when Stevo started this thread he said he set it up for Rick. Funny how Stevo's posted way more than Rick, pretty much 50% of the posts. It's been a remarkably succesful thread despite Stevo's attempts to derail it, it hasn't even been particularly dull so long as you ignore his posts .

I just putting forward my views, which are probably more in line with the majority in the UK than yours.

Also a bit of wee wee taking of silly views never goes amiss.

Sorry if you don't like that :)
  • Stevo_666

Funny how when Stevo started this thread he said he set it up for Rick. Funny how Stevo's posted way more than Rick, pretty much 50% of the posts. It's been a remarkably succesful thread despite Stevo's attempts to derail it, it hasn't even been particularly dull so long as you ignore his posts .

Look, I'm sorry. Until Rick sells his car, Stevo is perfectly entitled to carry on destroying planets.
    I did say above that if the issue was important enough, Rick should be willing to make some sacrifices. He dodged that question, so I guess it isn't that important...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Stevo_666 said:

I did say above that if the issue was important enough, Rick should be willing to make some sacrifices. He dodged that question, so I guess it isn't that important...
    He's responded to this numerous times to various people. The point he is making is that the infrastructure currently doesn't allow it. Despite all the cries of hypocrisy by Rick it isn't really as his 'vision' relies on the infrastructure being in place to move away from car reliance.

That said, his original views on this seemed to be 'tough luck' to that minority of people who are still in his current position once the infrastructure does get in place and that they should just accept prohibitively expensive car use as a price they pay to continue to live in the countryside. If there's some hypocrisy in his thinking then I would suggest that is where it lies and instead of picking up on him currently owning a car it should be on him choosing to live somewhere that he occasionally needs one.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    I just find it odd, as someone who doesn't have a car, that it's not possible to survive without one.
  • Stevo_666

I just find it odd, as someone who doesn't have a car, that it's not possible to survive without one.

As people have mentioned a few times, how easy or difficult it is can depend on where you live. As I recall, you live in central or inner London?
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

He's responded to this numerous times to various people. The point he is making is that the infrastructure currently doesn't allow it. Despite all the cries of hypocrisy by Rick it isn't really as his 'vision' relies on the infrastructure being in place to move away from car reliance.

That said, his original views on this seemed to be 'tough luck' to that minority of people who are still in his current position once the infrastructure does get in place and that they should just accept prohibitively expensive car use as a price they pay to continue to live in the countryside. If there's some hypocrisy in his thinking then I would suggest that is where it lies and instead of picking up on him currently owning a car it should be on him choosing to live somewhere that he occasionally needs one.
    See BB's post - he thinks it's easy to get by without one.

As for the reality of all this magical infrastructure to cover the majority country, well that's where things get more into wishful thinking. Or we could keep using cars where appropriate as they seem to work OK for most people...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Easy != Possible
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    FWIW my wife's car has been off the road for a few weeks as it has a turbo problem. It's driveable if absolutely necessary but she has been using my car (really can't do her job without it). We've managed with just the one but it has meant having to rearrange things when we would have both needed a car. If I was working in an office I'd have still been able to manage but it is the nice but not essential things where it becomes a problem e.g. she runs a choir for adults with learning disabilities on a Saturday morning but I had to get our daughter to a job that wasn't practical by public transport and hiring a car / using a taxi would have cost more than she made from the job so the choir got cancelled.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    Rick has said he uses his car no more than once a fortnight. That would suggest that the infrastructure is there for his chosen lifestyle, and as the Salty one suggests, he could sell th Polo and then just hire when needed.
    However, whether economically worthwhile to do so will depend on how much he might get for the Polo.
  • rick_chasey

Rick has said he uses his car no more than once a fortnight. That would suggest that the infrastructure is there for his chosen lifestyle, and as the Salty one suggests, he could sell th Polo and then just hire when needed.
    However, whether economically worthwhile to do so will depend on how much he might get for the Polo.

I am literally one person in a nation of 70 odd million.

This is not how you look at systems.
  • Rick has said he uses his car no more than once a fortnight. That would suggest that the infrastructure is there for his chosen lifestyle, and as the Salty one suggests, he could sell th Polo and then just hire when needed.

Ricktopia is in tatters, it promised so much.
  • Stevo_666

Ricktopia is in tatters, it promised so much.
    Unfortunately reality got in the way.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

It is how you look at systems if the other 70 odd million make the same choice though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

It is how you look at systems if the other 70 odd million make the same choice though.
    How is it a choice?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

pblakeney said:

How is it a choice?
    Choosing to use a car is a choice.
    This is where convenience trumps green credentials.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

How is it a choice?
    Choosing to use a car is a choice.
    This is where convenience trumps green credentials.
    Another example of how some in the Cake Stop bubble are a bit out of touch with the rest the country on this,