The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,641
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

And in the meantime, Citizen Khan is having a few headaches with his latest fund raising initiative:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/18/sadiq-khans-ulez-expansion-could-blocked-downing-street/

Oh, won't someone think of the clapped out van drivers?

Given that the ULEZ expansion was a condition of the Covid bailout of TfL by the government, they'd have a bit of a nerve to now demand it is removed.
    Luckily the outer London boroughs and home counties councils are ;)
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/13/ulez-rebellion-grows-home-counties-refuse-co-operate-sadiq-khan/

Seems as if they've thought further than your lazy stereotype of non compliant car owners and considered car workers, teachers, nurses etc.
    Not sure it is any of the Home Counties' business. And pretty rich of you to get upset about lazy stereotypes. Sure it will inconvenience some people. It's pretty f***ing inconvenient having my children on daily steroid inhalers. It's not as though there aren't alternatives.
    Not upset, just pointing out that you used a lazy stereotype, which you seem to be annoyed about. It might make a difference in the centre of London bit out in the leafy suburbs the difference is probably naff all. Parts of Bromley Borough that will be in the expanded zone are properly rural.

As I've said before, the air is better out here so move out if you really want good air, ULEZ or no ULEZ.
    I work in central London, not at home (behind the sofa I think you used to call it) so don't need any more time commuting. The ULEZ has already improved air quality in central London but there's still plenty of room for improvement out in the outer boroughs like Sutton and Bromley. Here's the PM 2.5 trace for this week, for example.

So, we know there's harmful levels of pollution even in the leafy suburbs on the edge of London (and even in Sevenoaks if you look), and we know removing older vehicles, especially diesels helps reduce this. What's unfair about the people who are contributing more of that pollution having to pay?

By the way, I checked and Sevenoaks was slightly worse than Sutton last week.
    I'm not in Sevenoaks, rather a village near there, although clearly I won't say exactly where as I don't want hoardes of pitchfork wielding lefties descending on me :smile: The air quality out here is rather good, ta.

However it seems you've been in Sutton for years, including times when the ULEZ didn't exist or was Central London only. So clearly it can't have been that critical for you otherwise you'd have moved before now. And even if it does expand, you'll still have tens of thousands of slightly newer cars driving around near you. So as advised above, escape to the country...

The main objections of the councils who are putting up objections are that those impacted are not being given enough time or support (e.g. scrappage schemes) to adjust.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

I bet the reality of the situation is the wifes pushing for an SUV for the family.

:D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Jezyboy said:

Amazing what you can do when you export your dirty manufacturing to other countries.

This. It’s a bit rich saying ‘but China’ when a large part of their emissions is from producing stuff for western consumers. If genuinely worried that they aren’t doing enough we should clamp down on imports until they clean up their manufacturing processes.
  • Stevo_666

You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.

That’s too expensive!
    Surely you'd get a fair chunk for you're car then there are the costs of keeping it on the road. You've already said you don't use it much.
    Not sure you quite appreciate how expensive taxis & rentals are nowadays.

I know a millionaire who does that. Alas, that’s not me.

You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.

That’s too expensive!
    Surely you'd get a fair chunk for you're car then there are the costs of keeping it on the road. You've already said you don't use it much.

Being virtuous and leading by example doesnt' always come cheap. If you lead, others may follow.
  • Stevo_666

If I didn't have dogs, I'd probably just use a car share scheme rather than owning.

We have 2 dogs, so seems a perfectly good reason to own a car.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,768
    edited February 2023
    Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Amazing what you can do when you export your dirty manufacturing to other countries.

This. It’s a bit rich saying ‘but China’ when a large part of their emissions is from producing stuff for western consumers. If genuinely worried that they aren’t doing enough we should clamp down on imports until they clean up their manufacturing processes.
    Agreed, but it also may be another way of cutting off our nose to spite our face unless the big country does it too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Being virtuous and leading by example doesnt' always come cheap. .
    That's literally my point.
  • It would be fascinating to see how other evolved planets have developed in lots of different ways. It would/will be great when we can at least communicate with other intelligent matter forms, hopefully in a positive way.

The Great Filter theory proposes that Intelligent life develops to the point it can destroy itself and then promptly does exactly that. This happens long before they develop the ability to communicate with intelligent alien life.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

You can pay up front or pay taxes to subsidise the future infrastructure.
    Be under no illusion, you will pay.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Surely it's important enough an issue for you to make some sacrifices?
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Paying for lease cars and taxis is not investment in future proofing the system
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,105

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You should get a fair amount for your Polo, given the strong new and used car market.

That's quite a few taxi trips and hire cars.

Don't hate the player, hate the game
    Whilst I understand the point you have made about the structure of the system, it does feel like you could do a bit more walking the walk.

I like how everyone makes out i'm driving my car the whole time. I regularly don't go near it for a fortnight. It's literally growing moss in the window seals.

My entire point is that the system is *not set up* to avoid using the car.

So, I don't really understand why I would, in this system, avoid using the car?

I have no moral objection to the car. I recognise that the car cannot for reasons repeated ad-nauseum that cars can't be the future for various reasons, so it makes sense to prepare for that future now.
    Just feels weird to me.

I remember a chap moaning to me in India about the state of India. How dirty it was with rubbish everywhere. He then threw some rubbish out the window. That was the system - it wasn't up to him to clean up the country as he felt someone else should.

You're equating driving to littering?
    Clearly not. It's the 'the problem is too big for me to change on my own so why should I make any effort?' attitude. See also all the bollox about China being a much bigger emitter of CO2 so UK shouldn't bother making any efforts.
    Is it controversial to say I don't think this is entirely bollox?
    Yes.
    For emissions that have a global impact what's the point in the UK going overboard to reduce our 1% of global emissions if China doesn't do anything about its 30%? To make us feel better about ourselves?
    We are in absolutely no danger of 'going overboard'. We can barely bring ourselves to prioritise double glazing over 'heritage issues'. And China is doing something about it's 30%. Which per capita is still well down the table.

Given our smaller population and temperate climate we have one of the easiest wins in terms of reductions.
    Easy wins, great. And if they result in something that is useful like reduced energy consumption then double great. But you see the graph, right?
    Look at the per capita graph. China is way lower. They just have a lot of people. If they are not to end up with UK levels of per capita emissions - or God help us, US levels - we need to be showing what can be done as quickly as possible. UK is a pretty good country to use as a prototype.

Great, so we are now doing a bit better than China. Just the following list to work through before we get to China.

New Caledonia
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Bahrain
    Kuwait
    United Arab Emirates
    Gibraltar
    Brunei
    Saudi Arabia
    Oman
    Curacao
    Australia
    Canada
    Kazakhstan
    United States
    Turkmenistan
    Luxembourg
    Seychelles
    South Korea
    Mongolia
    Taiwan
    Russia
    Estonia
    Falkland Islands
    Singapore
    Iceland
    Czech Republic
    Netherlands
    Japan
    Greenland
    Serbia
    Montenegro
    Iran
    You were the one who told me to go look at it. Just did what I was asked and you're still not happy.

Your list does kind of reinforce my thinking.
    My objection was to the simplistic argument that we shouldn't try too hard because China. All countries need to do better and China isn't particularly high up the list. As TBB has explained much better than me, what the UK does as a member of the G7 also has an outsized influence beyond it's borders
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You should get a fair amount for your Polo, given the strong new and used car market.

That's quite a few taxi trips and hire cars.

Don't hate the player, hate the game
    Whilst I understand the point you have made about the structure of the system, it does feel like you could do a bit more walking the walk.

I like how everyone makes out i'm driving my car the whole time. I regularly don't go near it for a fortnight. It's literally growing moss in the window seals.

My entire point is that the system is *not set up* to avoid using the car.

So, I don't really understand why I would, in this system, avoid using the car?

I have no moral objection to the car. I recognise that the car cannot for reasons repeated ad-nauseum that cars can't be the future for various reasons, so it makes sense to prepare for that future now.
    Just feels weird to me.

I remember a chap moaning to me in India about the state of India. How dirty it was with rubbish everywhere. He then threw some rubbish out the window. That was the system - it wasn't up to him to clean up the country as he felt someone else should.

You're equating driving to littering?
    Clearly not. It's the 'the problem is too big for me to change on my own so why should I make any effort?' attitude. See also all the bollox about China being a much bigger emitter of CO2 so UK shouldn't bother making any efforts.
    Is it controversial to say I don't think this is entirely bollox?
    Yes.
    For emissions that have a global impact what's the point in the UK going overboard to reduce our 1% of global emissions if China doesn't do anything about its 30%? To make us feel better about ourselves?
    We are in absolutely no danger of 'going overboard'. We can barely bring ourselves to prioritise double glazing over 'heritage issues'. And China is doing something about it's 30%. Which per capita is still well down the table.

Given our smaller population and temperate climate we have one of the easiest wins in terms of reductions.
    Easy wins, great. And if they result in something that is useful like reduced energy consumption then double great. But you see the graph, right?
    Look at the per capita graph. China is way lower. They just have a lot of people. If they are not to end up with UK levels of per capita emissions - or God help us, US levels - we need to be showing what can be done as quickly as possible. UK is a pretty good country to use as a prototype.

Great, so we are now doing a bit better than China. Just the following list to work through before we get to China.

New Caledonia
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Bahrain
    Kuwait
    United Arab Emirates
    Gibraltar
    Brunei
    Saudi Arabia
    Oman
    Curacao
    Australia
    Canada
    Kazakhstan
    United States
    Turkmenistan
    Luxembourg
    Seychelles
    South Korea
    Mongolia
    Taiwan
    Russia
    Estonia
    Falkland Islands
    Singapore
    Iceland
    Czech Republic
    Netherlands
    Japan
    Greenland
    Serbia
    Montenegro
    Iran
    You were the one who told me to go look at it. Just did what I was asked and you're still not happy.

Your list does kind of reinforce my thinking.
    My objection was to the simplistic argument that we shouldn't try too hard because China. All countries need to do better and China isn't particularly high up the list. As TBB has explained much better than me, what the UK does as a member of the G7 also has an outsized influence beyond it's borders
    It does show that the data you are basing your conclusions on is out of date.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited February 2023

It would be fascinating to see how other evolved planets have developed in lots of different ways. It would/will be great when we can at least communicate with other intelligent matter forms, hopefully in a positive way.

The Great Filter theory proposes that Intelligent life develops to the point it can destroy itself and then promptly does exactly that. This happens long before they develop the ability to communicate with intelligent alien life.

I guess that would explain it. Although wouldn't one intelligent matter form make it for whatever reason?

• It would be fascinating to see how other evolved planets have developed in lots of different ways. It would/will be great when we can at least communicate with other intelligent matter forms, hopefully in a positive way.

I guess that would explain it. Although wouldn't one intelligent matter form make it for whatever reason?
    We can always hope, or else we haven't got long to go.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited February 2023
    Civilisations have failed, but then new ones arise. Then when the jumps made into space...

I don't get either the point of an advanced intelligence eradicating each other when the Universe is so vast and expanding. Why fight when you can find other planets.

There must be Solar systems which are lucky enough to have habital planets close by aiding the evolutionary jump.
  • rjsterry

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

When you *can't* use a car, you realise that it isn't actually as difficult as some would have you believe.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981
    edited February 2023

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

You think anything the government is going to do will be cheap, far less future proof?
    Don't expect private enterprise to be any cheaper. If the future is green it is expensive.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

When you *can't* use a car, you realise that it isn't actually as difficult as some would have you believe.
    Depends where you are. That's again, my point.

We can always hope, or else we haven't got long to go.
    Yeah. Even if we nuke ourselves to bits though Earth should eventually recover. Then think of all the information left another evolving civilization will be able to use and hopefully learn from our biggest mistake.
  • Computers, phones, cars, planes, solar panels, wind generators...Bits will remain.
  • 4.3bn years old, Universe 13.7!
  • Perhaps we just haven't discovered it yet.
  • Anyway. Look, are you floggin that Polo or not?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

I've done rural Worcestershire and rural Devon so far.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Unless my MIL moves, she is housebound following a stroke which means she's not allowed to drive.

All the bus routes, etc, have all been shut down. That's basic. She's in the burbs of a big town. No-one there cycles - it's lethal if you do - and everyone drives.
  • Civilisations have failed, but then new ones arise. Then when the jumps made into space...

I don't get either the point of an advanced intelligence eradicating each other when the Universe is so vast and expanding. Why fight when you can find other planets.

There must be Solar systems which are lucky enough to have habital planets close by aiding the evolutionary jump.

That's an optimistic view, but I think the likes of Stevo will ensure the destruction of this planet before we find another planet we can live on. And that is how the Great Filter works.
  • This is what I mean - I don't think Stevo driving his car in a way that makes it go more brrm brrm is going to be the thing that makes the difference between killing the planet or not.
  • Civilisations have failed, but then new ones arise. Then when the jumps made into space...

That's an optimistic view, but I think the likes of Stevo will ensure the destruction of this planet before we find another planet we can live on. And that is how the Great Filter works.
    Only one intelligent matter form has to survive though.

Will AI fight amongst itself or will it be Borg like, bloody fascinating I reckon.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s too expensive!

That’s too expensive!

Unless my MIL moves, she is housebound following a stroke which means she's not allowed to drive.

All the bus routes, etc, have all been shut down. That's basic. She's in the burbs of a big town. No-one there cycles - it's lethal if you do - and everyone drives.
    Is this true? People used to tell me that about London after I'd cycled there for years.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono