The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

You should get a fair amount for your Polo, given the strong new and used car market.

That's quite a few taxi trips and hire cars.

Don't hate the player, hate the game
    Whilst I understand the point you have made about the structure of the system, it does feel like you could do a bit more walking the walk.

I like how everyone makes out i'm driving my car the whole time. I regularly don't go near it for a fortnight. It's literally growing moss in the window seals.

My entire point is that the system is *not set up* to avoid using the car.

So, I don't really understand why I would, in this system, avoid using the car?

I have no moral objection to the car. I recognise that the car cannot for reasons repeated ad-nauseum that cars can't be the future for various reasons, so it makes sense to prepare for that future now.
    Just feels weird to me.

I remember a chap moaning to me in India about the state of India. How dirty it was with rubbish everywhere. He then threw some rubbish out the window. That was the system - it wasn't up to him to clean up the country as he felt someone else should.

You're equating driving to littering?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,105

You should get a fair amount for your Polo, given the strong new and used car market.

Whilst I understand the point you have made about the structure of the system, it does feel like you could do a bit more walking the walk.

I like how everyone makes out i'm driving my car the whole time. I regularly don't go near it for a fortnight. It's literally growing moss in the window seals.

I have no moral objection to the car. I recognise that the car cannot for reasons repeated ad-nauseum that cars can't be the future for various reasons, so it makes sense to prepare for that future now.
    Just feels weird to me.

I remember a chap moaning to me in India about the state of India. How dirty it was with rubbish everywhere. He then threw some rubbish out the window. That was the system - it wasn't up to him to clean up the country as he felt someone else should.

Clearly not. It's the 'the problem is too big for me to change on my own so why should I make any effort?' attitude. See also all the bollox about China being a much bigger emitter of CO2 so UK shouldn't bother making any efforts.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Yeah well I drove zero miles when I lived in cities. Maybe I was a trend setter.
    I'll pay attention when miles driven drop. Those teenagers will age and drive.

My brain is clearly wired differently as I don't really see what your own experience has anything to do with the above.
    The paragraphs that you shared are city centric so I thought I'd show that I am not unsympathetic. The report still appears irrelevant on a countrywide basis. Miles are up.
    Trends my friend, trends.

We all understand % changes don't we? Maybe we don't.
    Yes. Trends. People change as they age. Their habits too. Future teenagers will have a low appetite for the car but I wager the current teenager will be driving in 10 years time.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Yeah well I drove zero miles when I lived in cities. Maybe I was a trend setter.

My brain is clearly wired differently as I don't really see what your own experience has anything to do with the above.
    The paragraphs that you shared are city centric so I thought I'd show that I am not unsympathetic. The report still appears irrelevant on a countrywide basis. Miles are up.

Yes. Trends. People change as they age. Their habits too. Future teenagers will have a low appetite for the car but I wager the current teenager will be driving in 10 years time.
    Between 1990 and 2017 the distance driven by teenage drivers in America declined by 35%, and those aged 20-34 by 18%. It is entirely older drivers who account for still increasing traffic, as baby-boomers who grew up with cars do not give them up in retirement.

• rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Clearly not. It's the 'the problem is too big for me to change on my own so why should I make any effort?' attitude. See also all the bollox about China being a much bigger emitter of CO2 so UK shouldn't bother making any efforts.
    Is it controversial to say I don't think this is entirely bollox?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Between 1990 and 2017 the distance driven by teenage drivers in America declined by 35%, and those aged 20-34 by 18%. It is entirely older drivers who account for still increasing traffic, as baby-boomers who grew up with cars do not give them up in retirement.

I still maintain that today's teenagers are tomorrow's grumpy old gits.
    Anecdotally all my grand children are looking forward to getting cars.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.
    For emissions that have a global impact what's the point in the UK going overboard to reduce our 1% of global emissions if China doesn't do anything about its 30%? To make us feel better about ourselves?

• For clarity, reduction in energy usage, reduction in locally harmful emissions and having more pleasant places to live are reasons to change behaviour. I just think we're all pissing in the wind regarding CO2.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.
    For emissions that have a global impact what's the point in the UK going overboard to reduce our 1% of global emissions if China doesn't do anything about its 30%? To make us feel better about ourselves?
    We are in absolutely no danger of 'going overboard'. We can barely bring ourselves to prioritise double glazing over 'heritage issues'. And China is doing something about it's 30%. Which per capita is still well down the table.

Given our smaller population and temperate climate we have one of the easiest wins in terms of reductions.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.
    We are in absolutely no danger of 'going overboard'. We can barely bring ourselves to prioritise double glazing over 'heritage issues'. And China is doing something about it's 30%. Which per capita is still well down the table.

Given our smaller population and temperate climate we have one of the easiest wins in terms of reductions.
    Easy wins, great. And if they result in something that is useful like reduced energy consumption then double great. But you see the graph, right?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited February 2023

Just feels weird to me.

If you want an SUV just get one, you can still make out you ride a tandem on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

I have no moral objection to the car. I recognise that the car cannot for reasons repeated ad-nauseum be the future for various reasons, so it makes sense to prepare for that future now.
    I mean surely this sparse car use is, whilst not ideal, a lot closer to the ideal (at least the ideal that you are arguing for)

But no, we should use cars less apparently means we should all just give up our cars.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.

Easy wins, great. And if they result in something that is useful like reduced energy consumption then double great. But you see the graph, right?
    Look at the per capita graph. China is way lower. They just have a lot of people. If they are not to end up with UK levels of per capita emissions - or God help us, US levels - we need to be showing what can be done as quickly as possible. UK is a pretty good country to use as a prototype.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.

Look at the per capita graph. China is way lower. They just have a lot of people. If they are not to end up with UK levels of per capita emissions - or God help us, US levels - we need to be showing what can be done as quickly as possible. UK is a pretty good country to use as a prototype.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Amazing what you can do when you export your dirty manufacturing to other countries.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.

Great, so we are now doing a bit better than China. Just the following list to work through before we get to China.

New Caledonia
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Bahrain
    Kuwait
    United Arab Emirates
    Gibraltar
    Brunei
    Saudi Arabia
    Oman
    Curacao
    Australia
    Canada
    Kazakhstan
    United States
    Turkmenistan
    Luxembourg
    Seychelles
    South Korea
    Mongolia
    Taiwan
    Russia
    Estonia
    Falkland Islands
    Singapore
    Iceland
    Czech Republic
    Netherlands
    Japan
    Greenland
    Serbia
    Montenegro
    Iran
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.
    In 2010, 1 MW of solar panels cost in the region of £3m. 10 years later just before Covid struck, the price had dropped to less than £200k. That evolution in price happened because wealthier countries agreed a 2020 target and subsidised the deployment of renewable energy on a scale that forced prices down.

Now when any country in the world looks at building a power station, solar power is likely to be one of the cheapest ways of doing it on a per MWh basis. For example, there is just no point in a country like Zambia doing anything else.

The story is the same for wind. Offshore wind is likely to be the cheapest way to generate electricity in the UK. Just think about what has been achieved in the last 10 years. Who would have thought that wind turbines the height of the Eifel tower could successfully be built at sea and 100 miles out? Another technology that can be deployed around the world.

To achieve net zero there are many more pieces of the puzzle that need to be solved. There are no gas power stations with carbon capture. It's theoretically possible to build them, but someone needs to do it. There are no massive long term storage facilities such as compressed air or hyrdogen. Again, they are theoretically possible, but someone needs to do it.

Similarly, battery technology, in particular sodium batteries, needs to evolve.

We've also had the efuel discussion on here recently. Another technology that may be successful.

Which countries are best placed to lead the way with all these technologies which will then be available to the rest of the world?

Furthermore, China has the most renewable energy in the world, but even if China insisted on using coal forever, they would likely face carbon border taxes, so it would not be economic for them to continue to do so.

All of which is why it is not helpful to worry about old tech being used in less developed countries.

• rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

My entire point is the system needs to change. I can’t build new railroads or magic up bus stops or well thought out bike lanes.

How can I use a non-existent facilities to wean myself off the remainder of my car travel?

I already use my bike for all but the longest journeys, and I already commute by train. What am I supposed to be doing in order for my argument to be more credible?

The entire point that even *I* use a car from time to time - that’s how car centric the system is.

I have literally chosen to live in s smaller house than I’d like so that I can walk to the train station!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    edited February 2023
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Just feels weird to me.

Yes.

Great, so we are now doing a bit better than China. Just the following list to work through before we get to China.

New Caledonia
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Bahrain
    Kuwait
    United Arab Emirates
    Gibraltar
    Brunei
    Saudi Arabia
    Oman
    Curacao
    Australia
    Canada
    Kazakhstan
    United States
    Turkmenistan
    Luxembourg
    Seychelles
    South Korea
    Mongolia
    Taiwan
    Russia
    Estonia
    Falkland Islands
    Singapore
    Iceland
    Czech Republic
    Netherlands
    Japan
    Greenland
    Serbia
    Montenegro
    Iran
    You were the one who told me to go look at it. Just did what I was asked and you're still not happy.

Your list does kind of reinforce my thinking.
  • You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited February 2023
    You remind me of King Charles. Doesn't walk the walk.
  • You remind me of Prince Charles. Doesn't walk the walk.

who?
  • rick_chasey

You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.

That’s too expensive!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    edited February 2023
    If I didn't have dogs, I'd probably just use a car share scheme rather than owning.
  • You remind me of Prince Charles. Doesn't walk the walk.

who?
    Yep, I forgot he's been upgraded.
  • You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.

That’s too expensive!
    Surely you'd get a fair chunk for you're car then there are the costs of keeping it on the road. You've already said you don't use it much.
  • rick_chasey

You could use a taxi and hire a car for long trip. There is an alternative for you.

That’s too expensive!
    Surely you'd get a fair chunk for you're car then there are the costs of keeping it on the road. You've already said you don't use it much.
    Not sure you quite appreciate how expensive taxis & rentals are nowadays.

I know a millionaire who does that. Alas, that’s not me.