The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• It's all of it, lack of infrastructure and positive promotion have led to inequality in expenditure on transport and when the privileged (car drivers) are faced with equality (slightly promoting walking, cycling and bus use) it feels like oppression.

This is on top of the many billion more miles being driven on previously residential streets (possibly in part because of sat navs) by larger cars and a lack of proper deterrent if a driver fucks up? How many people do you know who have been banned for life from driving? If you knew a few more would you perhaps drive a little differently?

All of this starts and continues a downwards spiral of lower infrastructure, culture and acceptance of any transport that isn't a car.

I don't think the car will or should be banned, they're incredible and a lifeline for many. But equally they shouldn't be advantaged to be the point where they destroy any other options for alternative transport.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920

It's all of it, lack of infrastructure and positive promotion have led to inequality in expenditure on transport and when the privileged (car drivers) are faced with equality (slightly promoting walking, cycling and bus use) it feels like oppression.

This is on top of the many billion more miles being driven on previously residential streets (possibly in part because of sat navs) by larger cars and a lack of proper deterrent if a driver fucks up? How many people do you know who have been banned for life from driving? If you knew a few more would you perhaps drive a little differently?

All of this starts and continues a downwards spiral of lower infrastructure, culture and acceptance of any transport that isn't a car.

I don't think the car will or should be banned, they're incredible and a lifeline for many. But equally they shouldn't be advantaged to be the point where they destroy any other options for alternative transport.

It always makes me laugh when the car lobby cry about a "war on motorists". It's a war they completely won in the second half of the 20th century, and all that's being asked is that they might make life a little more tolerable for people who can't (or choose not to) drive a car.

Used in the right way, they can be a very efficient way to move things & people from door to door, but that leaves the majority of current usages where they are either not the most efficient, or are having a massive impact on the environment and people's wellbeing.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

She is a gun dog.

What did you expect?

Amico, I thought you were better than this? This is the sort ofshit Rick would do.

I expected exactly was has happened... as I said, it was never my idea... any purchase that is not cycling related is never my idea... some turn out to be good ideas (like the log burner we purchased in 2020 and we now use every day) others turn out to be stupid ideas (like the gun dog).
    I had no choice, I argued with my wife for 2 years, prior to the events... eventually I had to give up... in many ways, I am quite pleased it ended fairly quickly and with no harm to the dog... who is certainly happier in the woods in Shropshire than it ever was in suburbia.
    BTW: I am not alone and not even in a minority, when it comes to getting dogs for the wrong reasons. My neighbour has a dog that never gets taken for a walk... often abandoned for 12 hours at a time...
    The point I was trying to make is that a flat tax on the purchase of puppies from private breeders could go some way towards reducing ownership and emissions.
    errrr - how would this tax be enforced out of interest?

its the same as saying you want to tax people who sell 2nd hand bicycle parts.

and what emissions?
    People with bigger heads have estimated that dog ownership is about the same as car ownership... indirect... toys, various plastic crap, journeys...

As for the tax... breeders should be registered and should charge some kind of VAT... I don't remember paying VAT on the beast... there should also be an annual tax, a bit like the excise duty on ownership, which obviously wold only apply to "new dogs" and not existing ones.
    I am saying these things because if you want to be serious about the environment, then you can't just hit transport. Other things are much easier to implement and don't involve creating a new costly infrastructure
    left the forum March 2023
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,538
    I ride a motorbike into work most days so I'm not in any position to take the moral high ground but I am amazed how much people are willing to put up with rather than considering alternatives to driving in London.

I had to bring the car in to work a week or so ago and it took me over 2 hours each way, plus I had to pay for petrol, congestion charge and parking.
    I can do the same journey by bicycle in 1hr 15 mins for pretty much zero pounds, train is similar time and I think £16 return. Motorbike is 45 mins and a few quid for petrol.

Maybe it's years of sneaking around London traffic on 2 wheels but I find the comfort of being in a car is far outweighed by the frustration of sitting bumper to bumper for half the journey.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    eh?

dog ownership on a par with car ownership? toys? plastic? journeys?

Sorry, I normally get you, but I have no idea at all what you're on about.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • monkimark said:

I ride a motorbike into work most days so I'm not in any position to take the moral high ground but I am amazed how much people are willing to put up with rather than considering alternatives to driving in London.

I had to bring the car in to work a week or so ago and it took me over 2 hours each way, plus I had to pay for petrol, congestion charge and parking.
    I can do the same journey by bicycle in 1hr 15 mins for pretty much zero pounds, train is similar time and I think £16 return. Motorbike is 45 mins and a few quid for petrol.

Maybe it's years of sneaking around London traffic on 2 wheels but I find the comfort of being in a car is far outweighed by the frustration of sitting bumper to bumper for half the journey.

They don't even think about alternatives. I have a neighbour whom I have never seen walking out of the house... he always drives everywhere... he is just hardwired to think outdoors = driving...
  • MattFalle
    proper breeders are registered and should be paying tax as sales are income.

if yours was a proper breeder then you should have received all the paperwork to go with your dog.

• MattFalle said:

eh?

I think he is saying that all the emission relating to buying toys, collars, coats, lead etc.. as well as X number of cans of (normally meat) dog food plus trips to vets are the equivalent of running a car.

I know there has been a real push in both vegan and lab grown meat dog food because of it. I think a lot of the emissions are the meat grown for pet food.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,521
    edited December 2022

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

She is a gun dog.

What did you expect?

Amico, I thought you were better than this? This is the sort ofshit Rick would do.

I expected exactly was has happened... as I said, it was never my idea... any purchase that is not cycling related is never my idea... some turn out to be good ideas (like the log burner we purchased in 2020 and we now use every day) others turn out to be stupid ideas (like the gun dog).
    I had no choice, I argued with my wife for 2 years, prior to the events... eventually I had to give up... in many ways, I am quite pleased it ended fairly quickly and with no harm to the dog... who is certainly happier in the woods in Shropshire than it ever was in suburbia.
    BTW: I am not alone and not even in a minority, when it comes to getting dogs for the wrong reasons. My neighbour has a dog that never gets taken for a walk... often abandoned for 12 hours at a time...
    The point I was trying to make is that a flat tax on the purchase of puppies from private breeders could go some way towards reducing ownership and emissions.
    errrr - how would this tax be enforced out of interest?

its the same as saying you want to tax people who sell 2nd hand bicycle parts.

and what emissions?
    People with bigger heads have estimated that dog ownership is about the same as car ownership... indirect... toys, various plastic censored , journeys...

As for the tax... breeders should be registered and should charge some kind of VAT... I don't remember paying VAT on the beast... there should also be an annual tax, a bit like the excise duty on ownership, which obviously wold only apply to "new dogs" and not existing ones.
    I am saying these things because if you want to be serious about the environment, then you can't just hit transport. Other things are much easier to implement and don't involve creating a new costly infrastructure
    There is already one in place. 20% VAT applies to pretty much everything you spend on your pet. Depending on which stats you take on total spend on pets in the UK, that's around £5 billion a year in 'pet tax'.

As you were...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

eh?

I think he is saying that all the emission relating to buying toys, collars, coats, lead etc.. as well as X number of cans of (normally meat) dog food plus trips to vets are the equivalent of running a car.

I know there has been a real push in both vegan and lab grown meat dog food because of it. I think a lot of the emissions are the meat grown for pet food.

Hound doesn't eat meat. He is biscotti only.

Toys? Its a dog, not a child.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

eh?

It's all VAT free for you in Jersey anyway, Matt.
  • MattFalle said:

Biscotti as in the spread? Sounds delicious, though many per owners do feed pets meat.

I was only trying to explain the argument, not defend it but I have seen many dogs with balls and chews etc.. and frequently see them for sale so there must be a market for them.
  • I have al the paperwork for the dog, registered breeder and all. I can't see VAT as part of the lot... it seems to me it's a market not dissimilar to others... all legit on the surface, but very few real controls and tax paid sporadically...
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

eh?

Take a trip to PetsforHomes and you'll get a sense of the scale... treat yourself to a dried meat stick, you can use my loyalty card
  • MattFalle

I have al the paperwork for the dog, registered breeder and all. I can't see VAT as part of the lot... it seems to me it's a market not dissimilar to others... all legit on the surface, but very few real controls and tax paid sporadically...

its a market not dissimilar to others.

exactly.
  • MattFalle
    did you charge VAT and pay income tax when selling wheels?
  • Stevo_666

I have al the paperwork for the dog, registered breeder and all. I can't see VAT as part of the lot... it seems to me it's a market not dissimilar to others... all legit on the surface, but very few real controls and tax paid sporadically...

Go down to the pet shop and buy anything for your pet - it will have VAT on it. Whether the breeder charges VAT on the sale of the dog itself depends on whether they are VAT registered or not - which as someone with a wheel building business (IIRC) you should be well aware of.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle said:

you would need to sell a lot of wheels, or very expensive wheels to get over the VAT threshold
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

you would need to sell a lot of wheels, or very expensive wheels to get over the VAT threshold
    and?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

its also a lot of dogs.....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    MattFalle said:

And, errrr, yes, training isn't easy. Its long, tiring and frustrating until it clicks. What did you expect?

mate, mate, mate......

I blame that Pets Behaving Very Badly where the bloke in the cravat sorts out major behavioural issues within what appears to be a single visit.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

its also a lot of dogs.....
    Not really... we paid 2.5K for a puppy, they had a litter of 8, so that's 20 grand for one litter. Some charge over 3K for a pup and have even bigger litters!
    I never made anywhere near that kind of income over the 3 years I built wheels... in fact I doubt I ever made more than a few quid, if you factor in the investment in building tools... :)
    It was never a business... those who do it as a business, make their money selling components... I simply charged a fee for the labour, components were for the most supplied... over time the fee became "in kind". Best I had was 2 crates of London Pride by Fuller's MG. :D

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,637
    A reputable breeder will be buying food for 12 weeks, insurance, microchips and vaccinations. It's not a magic money tree, if they are doing it right.
  • MattFalle
    thats 24 dogs required, yah. (assuming all make it).

so, initial inv of 2x pedrigree dogs, 24 lots of food, vet visits, jabs, poo bags, food, time, heating, advertising, all the stuff we don't know about etc etc etc.

its all the same no matter what business you're in: getting started is the expensive part and, tbh, I'd say the rolling costs for a wheel building bloke are less than a dog breeding bloke.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

and?
    he would not be charging VAT unless he was selling more than £85k of wheels which as he was doing it in his spare time would be quite an achievement
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,419
    I feel this thread has somewhat drifted..drifted..drifted...... :D

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• A reputable breeder will be buying food for 12 weeks, insurance, microchips and vaccinations. It's not a magic money tree, if they are doing it right.

I am sure it is costly, not to speak about the ball ache for the first 8 weeks... I was simply pointing out that the turnover can be quite large... I have no idea how much profit there is in it...

• Stevo_666

I feel this thread has somewhat drifted..drifted..drifted...... :D

Hey ho - at least it's not as dull as I'd feared :)

Speaking of drifting - you can have fun doing that in a car, but not in a bus or on an ebike. Another reason why cars are better.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    edited December 2022

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

and?
    he would not be charging VAT unless he was selling more than £85k of wheels which as he was doing it in his spare time would be quite an achievement
    Last year I made £ 11 in royalties on an A-level book... in theory I should file a tax return... :D
    The irony is that I was never paid the £ 11, as it's below the threshold the publisher pays... so one day, when the royalties will add up to some magic number, I might even get a cheque...

The moral of the story is... when they ask you to contribute to a school textbook... best to offer the opportunity to a younger, more enthusiastic colleague...
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

and?
    charge 2k for a set of wheels and off you go.... same as dogs, innit.