The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

The thing is, at least London has half-decent alternatives to driving a car from the peripheries. And if people still insist on finding excuses for not using them, then they can't really justifiably moan about having to pay for ignoring the alternatives.

Not a problem for me, I usually do a mixed commute of either drive and bike; drive, train and tube; or walk, train and tube. And don't pay Sadiq for the privilege.

But what about the people who live there or have to drive and can't afford to upgrade their car?

They'll need to change something... unfortunately, change will always hurt the least-well-off most. I suppose the government could tax those who can afford to pay more tax to cushion the blow...
    Or they could focus on easier ways to cut carbon emissions... tax on meat Vs VAT relief on plant based protein.

Tax on dog ownership... it is believed a mid size dog has the same environmental impact of a mid size SUV.
    Say what now?
    There was an article about it and I don't struggle to believe it... I had a dog for 6 months and the amount of destruction and waste produced over the period was staggering
    WTF was your dog getting up to? Other than food production and producing poo bags I'm struggling to think what the environmental impact would be.
  • Pross
    I assume this is the report? https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/are-our-pets-bad-for-the-environment/

When they say "one report suggesting" it would be useful to have an idea of the details of that report (who commissioned it, who authored it) and whether there are other reports that suggest a lesser impact (which to me is implied by the wording).
  • Pross
    This one gives more details of works and shows pets https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/blog/enviromental-impact-of-uk-pet-ownership-surge and suggests pets as a whole give off the same amounty of CO2 in a year as just under 750,000 cars but seems to just be concentrating on their physical emissions.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2022

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

The thing is, at least London has half-decent alternatives to driving a car from the peripheries. And if people still insist on finding excuses for not using them, then they can't really justifiably moan about having to pay for ignoring the alternatives.

Not a problem for me, I usually do a mixed commute of either drive and bike; drive, train and tube; or walk, train and tube. And don't pay Sadiq for the privilege.

But what about the people who live there or have to drive and can't afford to upgrade their car?

They'll need to change something... unfortunately, change will always hurt the least-well-off most. I suppose the government could tax those who can afford to pay more tax to cushion the blow...
    Or they could focus on easier ways to cut carbon emissions... tax on meat Vs VAT relief on plant based protein.

Tax on dog ownership... it is believed a mid size dog has the same environmental impact of a mid size SUV.
    Say what now?
    There was an article about it and I don't struggle to believe it... I had a dog for 6 months and the amount of destruction and waste produced over the period was staggering
    this is amazing - had to quote it for posterity.

what did you have - some kind of mad black cadejo?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    monkimark said:

I don't think you have to pay for being parked up.
    How do they know you are there if you don't drive past one of the cameras?

Pross said:

The thing with the ULEZ is that you pay as much for a car parked up and not moving in the zone as you would have if you were constantly driving within the area. It makes no sense to me. I had to take mine in with all my daughter’s stuff for the Uni term and other than a trip to the supermarket the car was parked up in a private car park for the next 24 hours with all journeys by foot or public transport. It was also a PITA to pay the charge as I had to create an account with TfL.

It doesn’t really seem to be doing what it is supposed to do.

Good point - you're right that people in the ULEZ zone don't have to pay as long as they don't drive anywhere. But unless they go full Big Brother and have cameras on every street corner, how are they going to know?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I'm quite enjoying the fact that keen cyclists can't be convinced that bikes are the solution. General public? Not a snowflake chance in hell.

It's interesting though, most of us have a bike as kids (well, we certainly used to, perhaps not so much now!), yet the majority switch to a car at 17/18. I think it is the cultural perception, a car is seen as freedom for a teenager, you get to (theoretically) go anywhere without supervision.

Having a bike is seen by many as a kids form of transport perhaps, a car is what 'grownups' have. Plus most people are lazy sods and the idea of cycling is anathema to them!

As has been said above, this is way to entrenched in our psyche to ever change. Unless cars/petrol become probitively expensive they are here to stay.
  • Aside from the obvious waste and related plastic, it was mostly the stuff she destroyed over the course of a few months, I seem to remember 3 beds among other things... then of course infinite packaging... then daily car trips to the local golf course for off-the-lead exercise... we were probably unlucky, but I have never managed to fill the non recycling rubbish bin... when we had the dog it was always overflowing
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

I don't think you have to pay for being parked up.
    How do they know you are there if you don't drive past one of the cameras?

Pross said:

The thing with the ULEZ is that you pay as much for a car parked up and not moving in the zone as you would have if you were constantly driving within the area. It makes no sense to me. I had to take mine in with all my daughter’s stuff for the Uni term and other than a trip to the supermarket the car was parked up in a private car park for the next 24 hours with all journeys by foot or public transport. It was also a PITA to pay the charge as I had to create an account with TfL.

It doesn’t really seem to be doing what it is supposed to do.

Good point - you're right that people in the ULEZ zone don't have to pay as long as they don't drive anywhere. But unless they go full Big Brother and have cameras on every street corner, how are they going to know?
    Strong argument in favour of more road pricing there.
  • Unfortunately due to under funding in cycling infrastructure and disregard for dangerous driving habits roads are now getting so dangerous that many children aren't cycling like they used too. My brother and I cycled everywhere from a very young age but that is becoming increasingly uncommon, and with it any chance of getting more people on bikes as they won't have the skills.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Unfortunately due to under funding in cycling infrastructure and disregard for dangerous driving habits roads are now getting so dangerous that many children aren't cycling like they used too. My brother and I cycled everywhere from a very young age but that is becoming increasingly uncommon, and with it any chance of getting more people on bikes as they won't have the skills.

At least Exeter/Devon has actually created fairly decent quiet routes & paths for children to get to school. But I can't imagine many parents being happy to let their children go too far unaccompanied on the open road, as my brother and I did when we were 12 or 13 ish, and used to venture to places like Severn Beach and North Nibley from Bristol.
  • MattFalle

Aside from the obvious waste and related plastic, it was mostly the stuff she destroyed over the course of a few months, I seem to remember 3 beds among other things... then of course infinite packaging... then daily car trips to the local golf course for off-the-lead exercise... we were probably unlucky, but I have never managed to fill the non recycling rubbish bin... when we had the dog it was always overflowing

that is definitly operator error - ie it wasn't trained at all.

tbh though, why are you bemoaning having to take the dog for exercise? what did you expect?
  • MattFalle
    What did you do with the dog Ugo?
  • MattFalle

Unfortunately due to under funding in cycling infrastructure and disregard for dangerous driving habits roads are now getting so dangerous that many children aren't cycling like they used too. My brother and I cycled everywhere from a very young age but that is becoming increasingly uncommon, and with it any chance of getting more people on bikes as they won't have the skills.

cars are also bigger, faster, many more of them, people drive more aggressively without respect.

don't blame it all on infrastructure.
  • Pross
    MattFalle said:

Aside from the obvious waste and related plastic, it was mostly the stuff she destroyed over the course of a few months, I seem to remember 3 beds among other things... then of course infinite packaging... then daily car trips to the local golf course for off-the-lead exercise... we were probably unlucky, but I have never managed to fill the non recycling rubbish bin... when we had the dog it was always overflowing

that is definitly operator error - ie it wasn't trained at all.

tbh though, why are you bemoaning having to take the dog for exercise? what did you expect?
    Judging by the amount of sh!t it seems to have produced he could have ditched the car and ridden it around as transport. It must have been huge!
  • MattFalle
    could have towed himself behind it in a small chariot.
  • MattFalle
    What breed was it Ugo?
  • MattFalle said:

What did you do with the dog Ugo?

Yes, the dog was a wiszla gun dog that my wife really really wanted as she had seen one on TV... in Countryfile, I think. She was lovely, but obviously very energetic and not suited to a 2up-2down lifestyle. I tried my best to persuade her not to, but she bought the dog and so we had her for about 6 months. I loved the walks off the lead to be honest, but that's the only bit I enjoyed, everything else I hated.
    Eventually we were so exhausted (5 AM every morning) and realised we couldn't keep her, so we brought her back to the breeder, who kept her for herself and trained her as a gun dog, as they do go hunting... so there, best of all worlds, aside for the 2.5 grand, plus another few thousands spent over the 6 months, that would have probably bought me a top of the range Colnago... at least my wife got it out of her system (a not so small price to pay to avoid divorce!)
    We tried the training route, but it's not as easy as on TV. She learned a lot, but she was also very stubborn on other things, walking on the lead was always an issue as was jumping up on people, digging everywhere etc. etc.
  • MattFalle
    She is a gun dog.

What did you expect?

Amico, I thought you were better than this? This is the sort ofshit Rick would do.
  • MattFalle
    And, errrr, yes, training isn't easy. Its long, tiring and frustrating until it clicks. What did you expect?

mate, mate, mate......
  • briantrumpet
    MattFalle said:

And, errrr, yes, training isn't easy. Its long, tiring and frustrating until it clicks. What did you expect?

mate, mate, mate......

Over to the pets thread...
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

mate, mate, mate......

pets thread?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

As has been said above, this is way to entrenched in our psyche to ever change. Unless cars/petrol become probitively expensive they are here to stay.

People in my street drive the 150m to the local shop.
    I doubt a 4x2 across the head will get the message through.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

mate, mate, mate......

pets thread?
    Pets thread.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13114558/the-pet-thread
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

mate, mate, mate......

pets thread?
    Pets thread.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13114558/the-pet-thread
    mega - thankyou!
  • MattFalle said:

She is a gun dog.

What did you expect?

Amico, I thought you were better than this? This is the sort ofshit Rick would do.

I expected exactly was has happened... as I said, it was never my idea... any purchase that is not cycling related is never my idea... some turn out to be good ideas (like the log burner we purchased in 2020 and we now use every day) others turn out to be stupid ideas (like the gun dog).
    I had no choice, I argued with my wife for 2 years, prior to the events... eventually I had to give up... in many ways, I am quite pleased it ended fairly quickly and with no harm to the dog... who is certainly happier in the woods in Shropshire than it ever was in suburbia.
    BTW: I am not alone and not even in a minority, when it comes to getting dogs for the wrong reasons. My neighbour has a dog that never gets taken for a walk... often abandoned for 12 hours at a time...
    The point I was trying to make is that a flat tax on the purchase of puppies from private breeders could go some way towards reducing ownership and emissions.
  • The thing is, at least London has half-decent alternatives to driving a car from the peripheries. And if people still insist on finding excuses for not using them, then they can't really justifiably moan about having to pay for ignoring the alternatives.

the problem is that there is an edge to every zone which means people have to enter the zone as part of everyday necessities which does not seem terribly fair. Of course these people don't get a vote for the Mayor so no reason why he would care
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

She is a gun dog.

What did you expect?

I expected exactly was has happened... as I said, it was never my idea... any purchase that is not cycling related is never my idea... some turn out to be good ideas (like the log burner we purchased in 2020 and we now use every day) others turn out to be stupid ideas (like the gun dog).
    I had no choice, I argued with my wife for 2 years, prior to the events... eventually I had to give up... in many ways, I am quite pleased it ended fairly quickly and with no harm to the dog... who is certainly happier in the woods in Shropshire than it ever was in suburbia.
    BTW: I am not alone and not even in a minority, when it comes to getting dogs for the wrong reasons. My neighbour has a dog that never gets taken for a walk... often abandoned for 12 hours at a time...
    The point I was trying to make is that a flat tax on the purchase of puppies from private breeders could go some way towards reducing ownership and emissions.
    errrr - how would this tax be enforced out of interest?

its the same as saying you want to tax people who sell 2nd hand bicycle parts.

and what emissions?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

cars are also bigger, faster, many more of them, people drive more aggressively without respect.

don't blame it all on infrastructure.
    People that feel a need to drivelikeatwat don’t help though.