The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

The thing is, at least London has half-decent alternatives to driving a car from the peripheries. And if people still insist on finding excuses for not using them, then they can't really justifiably moan about having to pay for ignoring the alternatives.

Not a problem for me, I usually do a mixed commute of either drive and bike; drive, train and tube; or walk, train and tube. And don't pay Sadiq for the privilege.

But what about the people who live there or have to drive and can't afford to upgrade their car?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I always walk up the local shop if I need anything, you do get some feckless types who would use their car for any trips no matter how short.

• katani
    katani Posts: 132
    edited December 2022

Interestingly, the latter has a lot more range per “charge” of juice.

BMW claims my i3 is capable of doing 186 miles on a fully charged battery.
    Except in winter temperatures, so anything sub 5 deg C, the fully charged battery only displays 175 miles of available range. Turn on the demister and that immediately drops to 150 miles. The range will then be dropping 1.5-2 miles per 1 mile driven depending on the speed and how often I need to accelerate. So much for believing in the manufacturer's claimed range for EVs.
    Also, add the cost of purchase and installation of a home charger, which can easily be a grand for a decent rated one, and still if the installation is a simple one.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    Stevo_666 said:

The thing is, at least London has half-decent alternatives to driving a car from the peripheries. And if people still insist on finding excuses for not using them, then they can't really justifiably moan about having to pay for ignoring the alternatives.

Not a problem for me, I usually do a mixed commute of either drive and bike; drive, train and tube; or walk, train and tube. And don't pay Sadiq for the privilege.

But what about the people who live there or have to drive and can't afford to upgrade their car?

They'll need to change something... unfortunately, change will always hurt the least-well-off most. I suppose the government could tax those who can afford to pay more tax to cushion the blow...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    Thread title sounds sensible. Disappointing content.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The thing with the ULEZ is that you pay as much for a car parked up and not moving in the zone as you would have if you were constantly driving within the area. It makes no sense to me. I had to take mine in with all my daughter’s stuff for the Uni term and other than a trip to the supermarket the car was parked up in a private car park for the next 24 hours with all journeys by foot or public transport. It was also a PITA to pay the charge as I had to create an account with TfL.

It doesn’t really seem to be doing what it is supposed to do.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878

Transport in London is very good for getting from the suburbs to the centre, but how good is it for getting between suburbs? Eg Wimbledon to Bromley, or Wembley to Stratford for example?
    It used to be really difficult on public transport but may have changed. Inner M25 residents?
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

The thing with the ULEZ is that you pay as much for a car parked up and not moving in the zone as you would have if you were constantly driving within the area. It makes no sense to me. I had to take mine in with all my daughter’s stuff for the Uni term and other than a trip to the supermarket the car was parked up in a private car park for the next 24 hours with all journeys by foot or public transport. It was also a PITA to pay the charge as I had to create an account with TfL.

That's fair criticism. Seems to be an argument for road pricing... the technology is more than capable now of a well-targeted system.
  • briantrumpet

What are you looking for? We're only three pages in so far, admittedly without the input of Transport Commissioner Chasey.
  • Dorset_Boy

What are you looking for? We're only three pages in so far, admittedly without the input of Transport Commissioner Chasey.
    Supreme President is the title you mean.

• briantrumpet

It always bemused me how few cycle club committee members cycled to the meetings, when I was on the committee.
  • Dorset_Boy

It always bemused me how few cycle club committee members cycled to the meetings, when I was on the committee.
    Why ?What time were the meetings, and how far did the committee members have to travel?
  • Pross
    It’s not that great for getting around on a Sunday night either. My daughter went back to Uni last Sunday evening. Caught the bus from Newport to Victoria (first one she could get after the event she’d come home for) and it was touch and go whether she could make it onto her change of Tube line before the final train which was around midnight. Luckily the bus got in on time so she made it.

This weekend she had to change from the cheap, advanced rail ticket bought months ago that would have been a 1:45 journey to a bus that took over 4:00 hours.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    I see endless pleading from my local MP to sign a pointless petition against the ULEZ. Quite enjoy replying. 😀
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

Why ?What time were the meetings, and how far did the committee members have to travel?

Most of the committee members then lived within two or three miles of the pubs where we held meetings - I was probably one of the furthest out. All well lit roads into the city centre.
  • Pross

Most of the committee members then lived within two or three miles of the pubs where we held meetings - I was probably one of the furthest out. All well lit roads into the city centre.
    Yet we’re going to get everyone using bikes / e-bikes for all local trips and the ‘last mile’ elements of longer journey’s apparently.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Yet we’re going to get everyone using bikes / e-bikes for all local trips and the ‘last mile’ elements of longer journey’s apparently.

It's even more bemusing, as you can get away with drinking more beer (at least in legal terms) when riding a bike: there's no compunction to take a breathalyser if stopped by PC Plod.
  • Amsterdam is currently in the process of removing 10,000 on street parking places from the city, from the photos some of the roads they've done this too look like a much nicer place to live, work, walk and cycle.

There are some people for whom public transport will never work, but many people use 'the disabled' or 'the less well off' as arguments against replacing private car usage with other transport plans. However these are two groups that have high levels of non-drivers and would likely benefit from proper alternatives. And it could start with space to drive a mobility scooter on the pavement, something which you cant do on the residential ratrun where I live.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

no we're not. of course we're not.

its bleedin' obvious we're not.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

Help us improve it then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

No sh!t !!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

I'm quite enjoying the fact that keen cyclists can't be convinced that bikes are the solution. General public? Not a snowflake chance in hell.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666 said:

They'll need to change something... unfortunately, change will always hurt the least-well-off most. I suppose the government could tax those who can afford to pay more tax to cushion the blow...
    Or they could focus on easier ways to cut carbon emissions... tax on meat Vs VAT relief on plant based protein.

Tax on dog ownership... it is believed a mid size dog has the same environmental impact of a mid size SUV.
    left the forum March 2023
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Stevo_666 said:

Or they could focus on easier ways to cut carbon emissions... tax on meat Vs VAT relief on plant based protein.

Tax on dog ownership... it is believed a mid size dog has the same environmental impact of a mid size SUV.
    Say what now?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Blue pill? Red pill? Is Ricktopia the site of all those battery pods? And which pill has Rick taken?

Won't all the urban areas dissolve from leaking batteries?
    Remember when diesel was seen as the saviour?
    History can be cruel.
    My switch to diesel does feel how I envisage a smoker moving to vaping will feel very shortly.
    Still better for the planet than petrol. Or less bad.
    Misled.

Quite happy with my move to diesel given the driving I was doing and it was the encouraged choice. Now diesels are persona non-grata. My expectation is the fuel will become prohibitively expensive in years to come vs petrol (let alone when electric becomes default).

I anticipate vaping will be found to be very bad in years to come having been encouraged as a better than smoking choice.
    Vaping is less bad than smoking. But it is still more bad than not vaping.

If you accept human respiratory issues as collateral, diesel is better.
    So far! But we don’t yet have knowledge of the long term effects.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    I don't think you have to pay for being parked up.
    How do they know you are there if you don't drive past one of the cameras?
    Pross said:

• Pross
    edited December 2022
    monkimark said:

I don't think you have to pay for being parked up.
    How do they know you are there if you don't drive past one of the cameras?

Pross said:

Yep, my mistake sorry but in my case I spent the same for entering it by a few miles on the Saturday and then doing the reverse on the Sunday as I would have if I’d spent two days constantly driving around inside the zone. It should be more intelligent than that.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

I'm quite enjoying the fact that keen cyclists can't be convinced that bikes are the solution. General public? Not a snowflake chance in hell.
    but in Ricktopia all will follow the word of the Mighty Rick
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487

Stevo_666 said:

Think you have completely missed the point of the ULEZ. Last I checked, dogs don't emit NOX, or particulates.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

Say what now?
    There was an article about it and I don't struggle to believe it... I had a dog for 6 months and the amount of destruction and waste produced over the period was staggering
    left the forum March 2023