The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

did you charge VAT and pay income tax when selling wheels?

you would need to sell a lot of wheels, or very expensive wheels to get over the VAT threshold
    and?
    he would not be charging VAT unless he was selling more than £85k of wheels which as he was doing it in his spare time would be quite an achievement
    Same would apply to the dog breeder though surely?
  • Pross

MattFalle said:

eh?

dog ownership on a par with car ownership? toys? plastic? journeys?

Sorry, I normally get you, but I have no idea at all what you're on about.

I think he is saying that all the emission relating to buying toys, collars, coats, lead etc.. as well as X number of cans of (normally meat) dog food plus trips to vets are the equivalent of running a car.

I know there has been a real push in both vegan and lab grown meat dog food because of it. I think a lot of the emissions are the meat grown for pet food.

Most of the meat used in pet food would be byproducts of meat production for human consumption. I know there's a lot made of being 'human grade' but I doubt there is much prime beef fillet or chicken breast going into that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    edited December 2022
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

did you charge VAT and pay income tax when selling wheels?

you would need to sell a lot of wheels, or very expensive wheels to get over the VAT threshold
    and?
    he would not be charging VAT unless he was selling more than £85k of wheels which as he was doing it in his spare time would be quite an achievement
    Same would apply to the dog breeder though surely?
    Already mentioned by Yours Truly on the previous page...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

eh?

dog ownership on a par with car ownership? toys? plastic? journeys?

Sorry, I normally get you, but I have no idea at all what you're on about.

I think he is saying that all the emission relating to buying toys, collars, coats, lead etc.. as well as X number of cans of (normally meat) dog food plus trips to vets are the equivalent of running a car.

I know there has been a real push in both vegan and lab grown meat dog food because of it. I think a lot of the emissions are the meat grown for pet food.

Most of the meat used in pet food would be byproducts of meat production for human consumption. I know there's a lot made of being 'human grade' but I doubt there is much prime beef fillet or chicken breast going into that.
    Judging by some the meat treats I give the dogs I doubt it’s got much meat in it at all.
  • Pross said:

That doesn't mean the impact on the environment can be discarded. If those cheap cuts were available to buy, some people would actually buy them, they wouldn't go waste. My frustration is that it's often difficult to buy meat beyond "steak", because all this stuff goes into the pet food trade. Lately I've been able to find ox cheek, ox tail and beef shin, but I wouldn't mind cooking even cheaper cuts: heart, tripe and other offal, which is virtually impossible to find (disclaimer... no decent butcher in my town!).

If you remove pets, the obvious consequence is that there will be fewer animals reared for meat.

left the forum March 2023
  • Just bought this book and about to read through and hope it’s as thought provoking as this thread. I love cars, but unlike many not a fan of pointless german performance wagons, preferring things like the Citroen Aimi and the Oli concept. (I will say though , I’m pleased some pointless cars actually dare to exist, and are pieces of sculpture in their own right even if they’re not my ‘thing’). Moving forward, our individual independence and mobility is essential and I’m constantly intrigued how spaces, places, machines, commerce, buildings etc can all be developed to help maintain our independence but in a much more sustainable way but still very accessible way. One thing for sure, cars are a great solution, but create huge problems. I’ll report back when I’ve finished the book.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/movement/thalia-verkade/marco-te-broemmelstroet/9781911344971?gbraid=0AAAAADANKJmxP265V1U2BpMmjGXTvq3Hq&awc=3787_1671466199_11f2005ce3bbb495350c66ef3f5dc0b0&utm_source=259955&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Genie+Shopping+CSS
  • Pross

Pross said:

That doesn't mean the impact on the environment can be discarded. If those cheap cuts were available to buy, some people would actually buy them, they wouldn't go waste. My frustration is that it's often difficult to buy meat beyond "steak", because all this stuff goes into the pet food trade. Lately I've been able to find ox cheek, ox tail and beef shin, but I wouldn't mind cooking even cheaper cuts: heart, tripe and other offal, which is virtually impossible to find (disclaimer... no decent butcher in my town!).

If you remove pets, the obvious consequence is that there will be fewer animals reared for meat.

I don't think there is much market for offal and meat offcuts in the UK these days. People have got used to being able to get 'proper' meat cheap from their supermarket so I think you're looking at that the wrong way. Much have what goes into pet food would just go to waste otherwise.
  • webboo

Pross said:

I thought you’d gone all vegan like.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2022
    wavefront said:

I love cars, but unlike many not a fan of pointless german performance wagons

Try using one as a daily driver then you may see the light on that point :)
    https://youtu.be/xh6Zxl3RAQk
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Pross said:

Hang on, so now you are arguing that the reason you can't buy crap cuts of meat is because of the pet food trade.

Firstly, what?

Secondly, you are significantly over estimating the quality of what they put in dog food.

If there were more human vegetarians you might have a point, but trust me you never want to eat what they pressure wash off the bones, boil down grind or otherwise process to feed to our dogs and cats.
  • Pross
    Back on topic though, in Rick's vision of the future you could possibly have car clubs as the back up to the various problems being discussed and do away with private car ownership. However, how mny car manufacturers would keep going if the amount of cars required were being so drastically reduced?
  • webboo
    In Ricks world could country folk not ride cows to town as killing them for food just adds to the environmental issues.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2022
    country folk don't exist in Ricktopia, remember.

Everyone in Ricktopia s living in cities riding ebikes

ergo no traffic problems

not sure who is doing ll the agricultural production mind you.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666

webboo said:

Ricks world

Is that like Wayne's World but much more dull?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Ricks world

dinner party on dude!
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Ricks world

dinner party on dude!
    :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    edited December 2022

That's not true... the industry decides where they want to go and then they claim that that's what the customer wants... this is the reality... look at the bicycle business... do we really want all these gravel bikes? Did we all really wanted disc brakes?
    It could well be that there is very little profit in offal currently, so they would rather use the space to sell you more confectionery... but markets are easily created... who would have eaten sweetbreads 10 years ago? Now they are fine dining stuff, every other dish on Masterchef features sweetbreads... pretty sure they don't go into pet food anymore.
  • First.Aspect
    Ugo, there is more offal than Gordon Ramsey can use. Please don't worry that my cats will suffer from an offal shortage and need to start to eat prime cuts.

Actually, I don't know why I'm even trying to respond to something this daft.
  • Pross

That's not true... the industry decides where they want to go and then they claim that that's what the customer wants... this is the reality... look at the bicycle business... do we really want all these gravel bikes? Did we all really wanted disc brakes?
    It could well be that there is very little profit in offal currently, so they would rather use the space to sell you more confectionery... but markets are easily created... who would have eaten sweetbreads 10 years ago? Now they are fine dining stuff, every other dish on Masterchef features sweetbreads... pretty sure they don't go into pet food anymore.

The industry sells to whoever is paying most. If the people shopping at Waitrose were prepared to pay more per kg for the offcuts from a cow than the buyers at Pedigree Chum who do you think they would sell to?
  • and yet... once we spent an afternoon looking for calf liver... impossible to find. We are bombarded by chefs telling us to use this cut and that... all impossible to find. I bet I could make a good trade as a butcher selling only cuts that supermarkets don't want to sell.
  • Surely all those cuts go (or could go) in to burgers, sausages and weirdly shaped meat products on supermarket shelves? I find it very, very hard to believe there is no other use for them
  • Pross

Surely all those cuts go (or could go) in to burgers, sausages and weirdly shaped meat products on supermarket shelves? I find it very, very hard to believe there is no other use for them

Is there a shortage of any of those products on your supermarket shelves?
  • Pross

and yet... once we spent an afternoon looking for calf liver... impossible to find. We are bombarded by chefs telling us to use this cut and that... all impossible to find. I bet I could make a good trade as a butcher selling only cuts that supermarkets don't want to sell.

It would have been impossible to find because there isn't enough of a market to justify anyone selling them. I think you are seriously over-estimating how many people actually bother cooking from scratch let alone trying the fancy dishes TV chefs demonstrate. A proper butcher, one that actually takes a whole animal and chops it up themselves, would no doubt put that sort of thing aside if you ask them in advance but you've already said you don't have one near you (which, again, is probably a reflection that not enough people are looking for that sort of thing).
  • Pross said:

and yet... once we spent an afternoon looking for calf liver... impossible to find. We are bombarded by chefs telling us to use this cut and that... all impossible to find. I bet I could make a good trade as a butcher selling only cuts that supermarkets don't want to sell.

It would have been impossible to find because there isn't enough of a market to justify anyone selling them. I think you are seriously over-estimating how many people actually bother cooking from scratch let alone trying the fancy dishes TV chefs demonstrate. A proper butcher, one that actually takes a whole animal and chops it up themselves, would no doubt put that sort of thing aside if you ask them in advance but you've already said you don't have one near you (which, again, is probably a reflection that not enough people are looking for that sort of thing).
    No... we looked at online retailers of organic quality meats too. They all have it in their catalogue, but was sold out everywhere. Interestingly, there was no shortage of ribeye available... to me this suggests the demand is there but the supply chain doesn't exist.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

No... we looked at online retailers of organic quality meats too. They all have it in their catalogue, but was sold out everywhere. Interestingly, there was no shortage of ribeye available... to me this suggests the demand is there but the supply chain doesn't exist.
    Because of dogs?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Because I don't live in Ricktopia but in a rural area market town, there are 3 (that is three) independent butcher shops on the main shopping street. Which of course means high standards in all wot wiv competition. Not that big a fan of liver, been a long time, but might just go get some, do a liver, onion, bacon old school dish...
  • Pross

Pross said:

Possibly as you get about 14 ribeye steak out of a cow and only one liver?
  • Pross
    My dog eats freeze dried chicken throats (won’t be getting anymore as they stink!). I doubt even Heston Blumenthal is doing a chicken throat ice cream. You can also buy chicken feet. Literally everything gets used in pet food.

I can’t remember the last time I ate liver, not because I can’t get it but because it isn’t something I like. When I was a kid it was a cheap source of meat when my parents couldn’t afford a proper cut more than once a week. I still see plenty of it in supermarkets but it has always tended to be lamb liver.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Possibly as you get about 14 ribeye steak out of a cow and only one liver?
    Lots of slices out of one liver.

• First.Aspect
    Ugo, if we have two sweetbreads, and add two more sweetbreads, how many sweetbreads do we have?