The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Pross said:

and yet... once we spent an afternoon looking for calf liver... impossible to find. We are bombarded by chefs telling us to use this cut and that... all impossible to find. I bet I could make a good trade as a butcher selling only cuts that supermarkets don't want to sell.

It would have been impossible to find because there isn't enough of a market to justify anyone selling them. I think you are seriously over-estimating how many people actually bother cooking from scratch let alone trying the fancy dishes TV chefs demonstrate. A proper butcher, one that actually takes a whole animal and chops it up themselves, would no doubt put that sort of thing aside if you ask them in advance but you've already said you don't have one near you (which, again, is probably a reflection that not enough people are looking for that sort of thing).
    No... we looked at online retailers of organic quality meats too. They all have it in their catalogue, but was sold out everywhere. Interestingly, there was no shortage of ribeye available... to me this suggests the demand is there but the supply chain doesn't exist.
    Because of dogs?
    Maybe not the organic, which maybe goes to restaurants, but the lower welfare one probably ends up in a different trade…
    Point is that it’s wrong to think that meat for pets wouldn’t have another way to be used…

left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Ugo, there is more offal than Gordon Ramsey can use. Please don't worry that my cats will suffer from an offal shortage and need to start to eat prime cuts.

Actually, I don't know why I'm even trying to respond to something this daft.

its an offally bad argument tbh.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

Pross said:

and yet... once we spent an afternoon looking for calf liver... impossible to find. We are bombarded by chefs telling us to use this cut and that... all impossible to find. I bet I could make a good trade as a butcher selling only cuts that supermarkets don't want to sell.

It would have been impossible to find because there isn't enough of a market to justify anyone selling them. I think you are seriously over-estimating how many people actually bother cooking from scratch let alone trying the fancy dishes TV chefs demonstrate. A proper butcher, one that actually takes a whole animal and chops it up themselves, would no doubt put that sort of thing aside if you ask them in advance but you've already said you don't have one near you (which, again, is probably a reflection that not enough people are looking for that sort of thing).
    No... we looked at online retailers of organic quality meats too. They all have it in their catalogue, but was sold out everywhere. Interestingly, there was no shortage of ribeye available... to me this suggests the demand is there but the supply chain doesn't exist.
    Because of dogs?
    Maybe not the organic, which maybe goes to restaurants, but the lower welfare one probably ends up in a different trade…
    Point is that it’s wrong to think that meat for pets wouldn’t have another way to be used…

You could break it down and inject it into chicken. Oh, wait they already do that. Or dry it and sell it as offal jerkey. Or burn it in an oxygen depleted environment and sell it as offal charcoal. Or make offal soup, to compete with the vast global oxtail soup market...

Basically, I don't think you have convinced anyone that pet food competes with anything other than landfill.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    To be fair it sounds like the wrong dog for the circumstances - a mature dog maybe of a different breed
    wavefront said:

Just bought this book and about to read through and hope it’s as thought provoking as this thread. I love cars, but unlike many not a fan of pointless german performance wagons, preferring things like the Citroen Aimi ping+CSS

God that takes me back - my mum used to have a red one - even then it was a quirky looking vehicle.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross said:

Because of dogs?

You could break it down and inject it into chicken. Oh, wait they already do that. Or dry it and sell it as offal jerkey. Or burn it in an oxygen depleted environment and sell it as offal charcoal. Or make offal soup, to compete with the vast global oxtail soup market...

Basically, I don't think you have convinced anyone that pet food competes with anything other than landfill.
    Even if you were right, that still leaves a product that needs extensive processing, hence a lot of CO2 to be made into pellets or whatever it ends up being. There is no denying that most pets are an environmental disaster and serve no real purpose, and it could easily be avoidable, probably to the benefit of society as a whole.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

Pross said:

Because of dogs?

Even if you were right, that still leaves a product that needs extensive processing, hence a lot of CO2 to be made into pellets or whatever it ends up being. There is no denying that most pets are an environmental disaster and serve no real purpose, and it could easily be avoidable, probably to the benefit of society as a whole.

There’s only one species on this planet that is an environmental disaster. Everything else stems from the mess that species has made of the world they inhabit.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

Because of dogs?

like I said, if the meat wasn't being produced for human consumption anyway, you might have a point. But it is, so you don't.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    edited December 2022
    Pross said:

... but it has always tended to be lamb liver.

Ah, that's it, lambs' liver. Mmmm, get some, screw all this turkey, pigs in blankets boxxox.... Jings it has to be 10 years ? since I cooked some.

On an aside, as I am not in Ricktopia massive tower blocks and crowded streets world, today noticed that in the flock of sheeps now in the fields next door, big interconnected area with open gates, the flock keep wandering around as a gang, follow the Trussbot up the front #toryscum style, the backmarkers multiple all appeared to have hind leg issues, several of them limping on 3 legs.

a) trust it's not due to b3llend dogwalkers letting their mutts go crazy
    b) gonna be more lamb chops and liver in the shops down the street soon enough.

'Kin childish forum censor bot. Up yours.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    Drifting.....

Have I stumbled into Mumsnet by mistake? :D

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Maybe it’s one for the irony thread but it’s only a few months ago when Ugo was an evangelist born again vegan. Now he’s complaining he can’t get sh!t cuts of meat.
  • MattFalle

Pross said:

Because of dogs?

There is no denying that most pets are an environmental disaster and serve no real purpose, and it could easily be avoidable, probably to the benefit of society as a whole.

again, quoted for posterity.

i presume you never had a hamster or guinea pig when growing up?
  • MattFalle

Drifting.....

Have I stumbled into Mumsnet by mistake? :D

Yossina youslag!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    webboo said:

Maybe it’s one for the irony thread but it’s only a few months ago when Ugo was an evangelist born again vegan. Now he’s complaining he can’t get sh!t cuts of meat.

Maybe it’s a new form of veganism where you only eat the leftovers no-one else will touch.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Ugo should try living in one of those countries where they eat pets. Sounds like a win-win for him.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

Ugo should try living in one of those countries where they eat pets. Sounds like a win-win for him.

I would have thought there are a few takeaways round his area of the midlands where they would be on the menu.
  • webboo said:

I said I was going to do Vegan January, which I did. Didn’t notice a meaningful improvement in anything, so I went back to being omnivore. I might try again in the New Year…
    It would be a good thing to be… if I could stick to it

• webboo

webboo said:

I said I was going to do Vegan January, which I did. Didn’t notice a meaningful improvement in anything, so I went back to being omnivore. I might try again in the New Year…

You were preaching on about how any one didn’t eat meat but ate dairy were the spawn of the devil or something similar. A bit like an ex smoker.
  • MattFalle

webboo said:

not it wouldn't

its a joyless, souless, empty, cold way of life, devoid of joy and happiness.

you'd also have to buy a whole new wardrobe to proclaim to everyone that you're a vegan and a dullard.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

not it wouldn't

you'd also have to buy a whole new wardrobe to proclaim to everyone that you're a vegan and a dullard.
    It is also necessary to bang on about it relentlessly, judge others, and make going for a meal with friends just really annoying because you are so special.

• Stevo_666
    edited December 2022

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

not it wouldn't

Spot on. How could you enjoy 14th March if you're vegan?
    steakandbjday.com/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    edited December 2022
    The only thing worse than vegans are people who prerend to be gluten intolerant because they get a bit farty after an entire loaf of bread, and then interrogate the poor bast@rd waiter about the gluten content of every option on the menu.
  • MattFalle
    vegans who don't drink.

just what's the point? a life devoid of tastes.
  • Why don't you meatheads get a personality instead of banging on about your diets?
  • First.Aspect

Why don't you meatheads get a personality instead of banging on about your diets?

Betty.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Good to see you chaps aren't just annoyed about bikes (oddly enough) but that it's a catch all thread for general moaning.

Ironically started because the car thread had gone off topic :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022

Why don't you meatheads get a personality instead of banging on about your diets?

Betty.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • MattFalle
    pangolin said:

Good to see you chaps aren't just annoyed about bikes (oddly enough) but that it's a catch all thread for general moaning.

Ironically started because the car thread had gone off topic :D

why the "oddly"?
  • MattFalle

are you one of "them"?
  • Stevo_666

• Stevo_666
    edited December 2022

Are you vegan by any chance? :)